-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Hitchcock's The Birds
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hitchcock's The Birds  (Read 2221 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: May 25, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »

Great storyboard sequence here:  http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/storyboard-sequence-for-alfred.html
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 03:01:20 AM »

Nice sketches, albeit not exactly as shown in the movie (for one, the girl didn't raise her hands, she was just casually sitting & smoking). "The Birds" is one of my Hitchcock favorites, I have it on DVD with other 14. The plot may not be that interesting for some (and for me, quite honest), but believe me, it's worth watching for the visual & (electronic) sound effects alone, it's very stylish & no doubt you'll like those frantic crow-croaking noises.
The article, all along the main subject, namedrops "Psycho", "Vertigo" & "North by Northwest". 1st one didn't make me re-watch it, 2nd is so-so & the 3rd one is a masterwork, hands-down one of the best films ever made: there's so much going on, very adventurous & not beat-to-death storyline. And between Cary Grant & James Stewart I prefer the former (with the latter I enjoyed only "Rear Window", have yet to see the 1998 remake for compare), reckon he's more versatile.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »

Such a beautiful film (and it's not even among Hitch's best 5, I'd say). Discussing it in my 1st semester of university (course on psychology in narrative literature) blew my mind back then.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:37:11 PM »

Yes, that's what I meant when said "stylish". Btw, it's not the best scene of the film - when mother of the girl Cathy went to check her old friend whose work was selling forage for birds, she discovers he's dead with 2 black holes inside of the eyes. I don't know the right term for that technique, it's like Hitchcock tried to show the whole picture of the dead, from tip to toes, then suddenly camera zooms in closely, for a sec or 2, on the terror that was the poor guy's eyes. Then we see the lady's shock, she literally is a rabbit running swiftly away to hop into the tractor she drove. Cool, isn't it?

Btw, do you know the origin of "Hitchcock"? I'm quite interested in the story behind the surnames. By translating it stands for: 1. "fasten rooster"; 2. "move a rooster in different directions". Doesn't make sense, right? Roosters are used for waking people up & for commercial aims if there is a fight arranged between 2 birds of opposite teams. Who wins - gets all the money the crowd made the bets on.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: