gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:00:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: And the Swedish Frog made love among the daffodils...  (Read 5571 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2014, 10:13:19 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RONDxAzVsY

Downloads for FLAC and MP3 versions can be found in the video description, as well as a detailed text regarding the changes I've made and my reasons for doing so.

I'm just posting this here because I promised I would, and the people who actually bothered to listen to Reflections seemed to like it. This one, I call "Aquarian SMiLE" because why not. There's some "heretical" changes, some Smiley and Psychedelic Sounds sessions used to flesh everything out...but, guess what? Still no Good Vibrations! I tried to use as much of the session material as possible while still maintaining the cohesiveness of my earlier mix. I think I succeeded. Who's to say, really?

So yeah. Obviously this ones too long to be historically accurate but I do think it captures the spirit of a sixties psychedelic, 'Aquarian' SMiLE. It's 12 tracks, two distinct sides/suites with their own musical and thematic connections, plenty of modular editing, humor (Psychedelic Sounds bits), beauty and scariness. No BWPS fly-ins except the clarinet from Look, which was a vintage 66 idea according to Darian.

I won't be sticking around for the comments this time, but feel free to b!tch among yourselves if you must. It's been real, guys. I hope even if you don't like it, it gives you some new ideas for your own mixes.

Edit: fixed the link
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:30:00 PM by Mujan » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 10:14:54 PM »

You need to edit the link to remove that hashtag, otherwise it doesn't work.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RONDxAzVsY

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »

You need to edit the link to remove that hashtag, otherwise it doesn't work.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RONDxAzVsY

I copied directly from the search/url bar. Huh... Is the hashtag just for mobile then, perhaps? Either way, thanks for posting a corrected link, man.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 10:29:10 PM »

Ok, I lied. I'm back, with an important question. Now, I guess this is probably a dumb thing to ask (or else someone else wouldve done it already) but is there any fan-isolations of the strings from Surf's Up (2004)? If not, then could it be done, or could they be recreated by a talented musician here? My guess is probably not (certainly not by me) but I'm not sure who else to ask.

See, I was intrigued by the idea presented on this board that the "moaning horns" from Talking Horns might actually be the Second Movement of Surf's Up. I tried it out in Aquarian SMiLE with mixed results. I'm very happy with the new coda especially (Brian's falsetto with the "wailing horns" bits) and I think the "moaning horns" part goes alright with the beginning of the Second Movement. But by about the line "a broken man to tough to cry" it just drones over the vocals (and not in a tasteful way like before).

I'm starting to think that, if the people whove supposedly listened to it are true, and it was a weird combination of horns and strings, perhaps the horns were originally supposed to fade out partway through with the strings becoming more and more prominent as the song goes on, until that particular line and it's just Brian and the strings? Maybe? Then the horns come back with a vengeance for that coda?

I could be way off base here...but the laughing horns were used in part 1 of the song, the wailing horns work so well over the coda (at least, I think so) that I'd bet money that was the plan at least at one point in time. Obviously the George Fell/Talking Horns session wasn't the 'worthless' offshoot it's been made out to be. It stands to reason Brian had some kind of plan for that moaning horn section. Perhaps he wasn't satisfied with the results and that's why the Second Movement was bare in '71 and just strings in '04. But I'd be curious to see if they work with the strings too as I've described.

Seperate question: We know that when asked about it, Brian remembered there were strings. But does anyone know for certain if the actual arrangement in '03/'04 is vintage? As I've said, I'm not a big fan of BWPS fly-ins. I made the exception for the clarinet from Look because it was a vintage idea and a clarinet from 66 or 04 will sound the same. I'm trying to determine if this is even worth the thought or effort if the arrangement is something written in '03...

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:32:22 AM »

The 04 string arrangement is by Mertens I believe. It's quite unremarkable, just padding really. I doubt Mertens wanred to overshadow it with anything too showy. As for the horns, I find it unkikely Brian would have recorded a set of overdubs on a seperate tape. Why would he do this?

No, I'm of the opinion that movement 2 was never tracked. The section Carl used in 71 was recorded for Inside Pop. We're lucky to have it.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:03:53 AM »

The 04 string arrangement is by Mertens I believe. It's quite unremarkable, just padding really. I doubt Mertens wanred to overshadow it with anything too showy. As for the horns, I find it unkikely Brian would have recorded a set of overdubs on a seperate tape. Why would he do this?

No, I'm of the opinion that movement 2 was never tracked. The section Carl used in 71 was recorded for Inside Pop. We're lucky to have it.

Fair points. I don't know...maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part...thinking I'd come close to cracking the greatest of SMiLE mysteries...

It's not so much that I believe Talking Horns *is* the backing track so much as it represents a rough "here's an idea I've been playing with, let's see if it works" type thing from Brian's perspective. Maybe not what exactly what would've been used in '67, but as close as we're ever gonna get barring the discovery of some mystical acetate. As I said, the laughing horns were used in Part 1, and the wailing horns sound very well over the fade so it stands to reason there was some legitimacy to the more droning parts of the session.

Upon listening to it again though...yeah, I suppose you're correct about the 2004 strings. I hadn't listened to BWPS in a while, and for some reason, I remembered them being much more elaborate. No way was that arrangement vintage. And it trails off around the same point I was hoping to feature it most prominently too Undecided

Ah well. Far be it for me to say--I'm not Brian Wilson, and my guess is only as good as anyone elses--but for what it's worth that would be my guess as what a Second Movement sounded like. A crossfade of some kind of moaning horns similar to Talking Horns into a more gentle string arrangement before the horns come back full force for the coda. No evidence for this except what I've stated and it just feels right.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:09:05 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »

And the Swedish Frog made love among the daffodils...

Swedish Frog at your service.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:13:38 AM »

Very interesting mix by the way, and fully respect your decision regarding GV. Smile mixes should be personal. My favourite sequence has GV opening side two afrer Our Prayer. Side one opens with Your Welcome. I love the way it leads into H&V with zero tinkering. Lovely start to the album.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:08:20 PM »

And the Swedish Frog made love among the daffodils...

Swedish Frog at your service.

You get to do it to Margarita atop the faraway hills. It will be depicted in a masterful painting. Id be lying if I said I wasn't jealous

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 12:43:03 PM »

Very interesting mix by the way, and fully respect your decision regarding GV. Smile mixes should be personal. My favourite sequence has GV opening side two afrer Our Prayer. Side one opens with Your Welcome. I love the way it leads into H&V with zero tinkering. Lovely start to the album.

Yes, up until recently Our Prayer had always been my unquestioned opener until a poster here convinced me otherwise. The more I think about it, either Brian changed his mind after that "this is the intro to the album" comment or else Heroes wasn't supposed to be the first main track--because they really just don't mesh the more I think about it. Since I opted to split Heroes and use it to bookend one of the sides, I decided to go with You're Welcome instead. I don't think it works as the epilogue which TSS and many fanmixes set it as. Both the lyrics and the fact that it's a fade in suggest it as an opener if it was to be included on SMiLE at all.

Thanks for the support regarding GV, too. While I concede it probably would've been on the album in '67, I think there's many valid reasons to keep it off. Not to harp on the past too much, but I gotta say I really was taken aback by the backlash regarding that last time. I mean...wow.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx