gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:26:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking About Making a 33 1/3 Book Propsal  (Read 6793 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 01:51:51 AM »

Oh yes. Thanks, Andrew. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »

Beach Boys Love You really deserves a book length treatment.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 03:35:07 PM »

Oh my God that Patti Smith review. It has changed my entire view of Love You. I need to listen NOW.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 04:53:27 AM »

Oh my God that Patti Smith review. It has changed my entire view of Love You. I need to listen NOW.
Truth to tell, it was "this place" that caused me to revisit and reassess Love You.

I think a book about it would make fascinating reading. So I wish Ms Hart all the best in writing it and getting it accepted. :=)   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 06:38:24 AM »

The next submission window for the 33 1/3 book series is going to open in about 6 months, so I hear. I've been thinking about doing an exploration on Love You for awhile and 33 1/3 might be a good platform for it. I've got a mental map going on this that includes, in no particular order; musical analysis, the overall sound and what inspired it, the song writing process, the recording process, Brian's mental state, the state of the band and what I think will be really interesting to explore - the album's cult status and what it means to the people who are fascinated by it.

Do you guys think something like this would be viable? That 33 1/3 might pick it up and it would sell reasonably well? This is going to be a lot of work, and I want to get a feel from the potential audience before I pour a bunch of effort into this, or start reaching out to important people for interviews. I'll actually have some free time away from my usual career during a long US weekend and thought it would be a good time to get the ball rolling on this. I would love to hear any feedback!
I agree with most folks here. Doubtful they'd pick it up to publish, but personally - sure - I'd love to read it (and would definitely buy it). Good luck in your endeavours.

P.S. That Patti Smith piece is such a great thing..
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2014, 07:25:06 AM »

Just make sure you notice that one of the most recent books in the series is on Smile, so they'll honestly not be likely to do another Beach Boys book so soon.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »

Haven't been on this thread due to my topsy-turvy order of checking this board. Amanda, you made a great deal, because in any way - that is, if you don't give up - you're in for a win. I'd say that's a really moronic rule to agree to cover only 1 book vs. 1 band. Why such limit? Who cares if The BBs have a small fan audience? Just do it, alright? We will support you no matter what. Indeed, Love You doesn't sound like it could influence punk rockers, it's a  new wave kinda thing, good choice.
[That said, if I were you, I'll pick M.I.U. as a go-to rec for this 33 1/3 series, what a stupid digital name.]

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 11:58:12 PM »

Sign me up as another who would buy it in a heartbeat Smiley

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 02:25:20 AM »

I read the Lester Bangs review but didn't know about this one. Great stuff, thanks for posting.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 09:49:48 AM »

I haven't been on the board for a few days, so it was very nice to see some support here - thank you all so much. I got quite a bit of work done on this a few weeks back, enough to make me want to keep pursuing it for something, even if 33 1/3 doesn't take it. I've had some personal stuff come up over the last few weeks that has slowed my pace on it down, and without getting into it too much here it's like a worst case scenario situation that's been horribly stressful and going to continue to be a major drain on all my resources for awhile. So, we'll see what happens, but I'm still planning on pursuing this on my free time.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »

but I'm still planning on pursuing this on my free time.
Right on! Personal stuff is a chore, forget it & continue not giving up on this project. We are your friends & you can always ask somebody to help you out on taking advice or needed info. Go, Amanda, go!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2014, 11:18:14 PM »

but I'm still planning on pursuing this on my free time.
Right on! Personal stuff is a chore, forget it & continue not giving up on this project. We are your friends & you can always ask somebody to help you out on taking advice or needed info. Go, Amanda, go!

I concur. Good on you for taking your admiration for this album to the next level and being productive with it. I wish you luck in your endeavor!

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »

I think you should go for it , let THEM decide if they want it. If they do , happy days. As long as it gets published why would you care how many it sells ? If you're happy with what you write (and you wouldn't send it otherwise) then it's a success. it's up to the publishers to worry about sales etc.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 08:54:09 AM »

The list of 605(!) proposed 33 3/1 projects for 2015 were released yesterday: http://333sound.com/2015/07/29/open-call-2015-the-complete-list-of-albums-proposed-for-the-33-13-series/

Someone, not me, submitted Love You. If it was another Smiley Smiler, let me know and I'll share more of what I had in mind and help out. I ended up not submitting last year (or obviously this year) because in the five months I had to work on it, I opened the word doc for it exactly twice. Just not enough hours in the day to dedicate the time a project like this really deserves. I was also really questioning the chances of it getting picked up; they've already got two Beach Boys albums covered and out of the 600 or so that get submitted, they only publish about eight a year. There were a lot of great albums that would make for interesting reads that I've seen get rejected multiple years, so it's a really tough field.

Good luck to whoever did propose it, I hope it gets made! Like I said, I'd be willing to share ideas and research or whatever else might need done if you get selected.
KDS
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »

There's a few on that list I'd like to read. 

But the one I can't defend is Metallica's St Anger.  I'm a big fan of Metallica, but that album is a dumpster fire. 

Summer in Paradise, for as bad as it is, had a couple of highlights.  Not so much with St. Anger. 
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 11:50:13 AM »

But the one I can't defend is Metallica's St Anger.  I'm a big fan of Metallica, but that album is a dumpster fire. 

Summer in Paradise, for as bad as it is, had a couple of highlights.  Not so much with St. Anger. 

The same guy proposes it every year. He wants to cover the reception and impact of a bad album, and every year he gets turned down. Really, the idea isn't bad, but surely there are more interesting flops you could pick.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 12:03:40 PM »

So, someone front ran Amanda's idea on Love You.........Hmmm    if it was a Smiley Smiler-----shame on you.   Moderators please take note. 
KDS
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »

The same guy proposes it every year. He wants to cover the reception and impact of a bad album, and every year he gets turned down. Really, the idea isn't bad, but surely there are more interesting flops you could pick.

I guess I could kind of see that point of view.  But I can't imagine spending even a small amount of money to read a book dedicated to a terrible album.  The subject could make an interesting article.  That's probably why it gets turned down every year. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 07:07:25 PM »

Never thought I would see those two albums mentioned in the same sentence.
KDS
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 05:25:16 AM »

Never thought I would see those two albums mentioned in the same sentence.

LOL.  Here's another sentence, "Summer in Paradise and St. Anger might be the worst albums ever made by bands enshrined in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

Smiley 

There's already two BB entries in the series, so I doubt they'd do another, but I'd love to see on one Sunflower. 
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »

I want to read a book about Love You, but only if the author has a wide music scope, and is prepared to invest an intense amount of research, which I don't see too often with people on this board. And recent books about the Beach Boys are rarely interesting or enlightening whenever the subject turns to an analysis of music composition or historical context.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2015, 08:29:27 AM »

So, someone front ran Amanda's idea on Love You.........Hmmm    if it was a Smiley Smiler-----shame on you.   Moderators please take note. 

I'm not upset about it all. I threw the idea out almost two years ago and haven't been able to follow up, so if someone else or there has more ability to get it done, so be it.

I've had a lot of personal stuff go on since I started this thread and have been writing about all that. It's not as cool as writing about Love You, but I've been getting good response and I think it's helping people in similar situations, so I'm happy.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2015, 05:31:49 PM »

I think Endless Summer would be a nice choice for this series. Firstly, it is a rare instance of a best-of tbat actually flows like a studio album. And secondly, it looms large in their story both good and bad. Yes, it found them an audience but it came at a steep price. That is a story tbat writes itself.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx