gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:20:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Elvis - That's the way it is" Legacy Edition  (Read 14937 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »

Rumour has leaked that a Legacy Edition of Elvis' (Soundtrack-)album "That's the way it is" will get a release.

The concert movie of the same name shows Elvis on top of his game. In 1970 everything seemed to go great and his stage performances were dynamite. The original 1970 movie shows him working in rehearsals with his band, backstage before opening night and finally on stage. A special edition was released in 2000. This year a BlueRay will be released.
The studio album isn't really a soundtrack but features studio and live performances. Among them some of Presley's best recordings. For example "I just can't help believing" "Mary in the morning" "Just pretend" "I've lost you" "You've lost that loving feeling" and his version of "Bridge over troubled water".

While we wait for more infos. here's the trailer for the original 1970 movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH7hbeAjksM

The trailer for 2000's special edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuLHVwzIgG4

And the movie intro, "Mystery train/Tiger man":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjYQHlr83eg

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:27:48 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »

For me the rehearsal scenes were the best parts of the original and reworked versions of TTWIS - not that the concert sequences aren't great, but it is cool to see Elvis interacting with other humans while not wearing a jumpsuit. He comes across rather well in 1970. By the time of ELVIS ON TOUR (72) he seems much older and more or less withdrawn into his own world. Simply put, I think he'd been consumed by his own myth by the time of the latter film.

The studio sessions (June 70, Studio B Nashville) were a lesser achievement than the epochal 69 Memphis sessions (material more so than the performances) but do show Elvis in command of an impressive variety of country and MOR styles. The concert sequences (Aug 70) show Elvis a superb interpreter of virtually the entire spectrum of American music, despite the Vegas trappings.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:28:41 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »

For me the rehearsal scenes were the best parts of the original and reworked versions of TTWIS - not that the concert sequences aren't great, but it is cool to see Elvis interacting with other humans while not wearing a jumpsuit. He comes across rather well in 1970. By the time of ELVIS ON TOUR (72) he seems much older and more or less withdrawn into his own world. Simply put, I think he'd been consumed by his own myth by the time of the latter film.

That of course might be the case. The other one is that the guy was stoned much of the time. Nevertheless the live performances in On Tour are great.

BTW I think the Nashville '70 recordings are not worse than the Memphis '69 sessions.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »

Agreed, the Nashville sessions of 1970 (and 71 somewhat) produced a lot of good music, but I prefer Chips Moman to Felton Jarvis. The Memphis sessions produced 3 or 4 classic singles and while the Nashville sessions were commercially successful, there were no "Suspicious Minds" level smashes.

Elvis Country is definitely one of the man's best albums, but again not quite as good as From Elvis in Memphis.

Probably splitting hairs here. For an Elvis fan 1969 and 1970 were both very good years.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 11:41:21 PM »

That of course might be the case. The other one is that the guy was stoned much of the time. Nevertheless the live performances in On Tour are great.

BTW I think the Nashville '70 recordings are not worse than the Memphis '69 sessions.
Elvis was always stoned in the 70's. But he was not so all alone...everyone was getting stoned in the 70's,  to paraphrase Mr. Zimmerman. It's just that Elvis' choice of stimulant was different than that of, say, Mr. McCartney, or Mr. Richards.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »

No one seems to really know what's up with this BR. Some sources say the special edition will be on BlueRay while the original '70 movie will only be on DVD. Others say that both versions will be on BlueRay plus a DVD of the original movie. Then there are sources saying that it's just a DVD copy on BlueRay.
My hopes are not very high. Warner Bros. already ruined the original 2-DVD release. And the "bonus" was just ridiculous. I couldn't believe it when I saw it even though I've read about it before. Since those bonus tracks were 12 as well plus the "Patch it up" documentary I am almost sure that this will be a big disappontment, but that shouldn't surprise anyone when it comes to Presley product. I've never seen any artist (and that even includes the Beach Boys before Alan Boyd and Mark Linnet!) getting such a bad and disrespectful treatment as Elvis. FTD is - for the most part - a welcome exception.
But let's hope that this might be a real good release.

For me the rehearsal scenes were the best parts of the original and reworked versions of TTWIS - not that the concert sequences aren't great, but it is cool to see Elvis interacting with other humans while not wearing a jumpsuit.

For everyone interested in those rehearsals, most of them have been released as bootlegs and some also officially for example on the excellent 3-disc companion to 2000's special edition of "That's the way it is". Not everything has been filmed but a good bunch of it and some of those videos also have come out on bootleg DVDs. His "What'd I say" from the rehearsals is the best version he's ever done imo. Here's a rehearsal from July 15th 1970 as audio. I love this version of "Got my mojo working". Wished he had done that on stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFeucbAS2Io

01 Stagger Lee/Any day now
02 I Got my mojo working
03 Mary in the morning
04 I've lost you
05 I've lost you
06 Stranger in the crowd
07 The next step is love
08 You don't have to say you love me
09 You don't have to say you love me
10 You don't have to say you love me
11 Sweet Caroline
12 Yesterday
13 Hey Jude
14 I can't stop loving you
15 It's your baby you rock it
16 Crying time
17 Riders in the sky / Surrender
18 Runaway
19 It's now or never / Danny Boy
20 Peter Gunn theme
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:22:40 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 07:00:12 AM »

This is a rumour posted on the EIN website. I got it from the FECC-Messageboard.

'Elvis: That's The Way It Is' New Deluxe Sony Box-Set: Breaking News - rumours abound that Sony will release an 8 CD and 2 DVD Deluxe box-set of 'Elvis : That's The Way It Is' this August. The DVDs will be the same as the Warners' TTWII 2-DVD set while the CDs will contain some previously unreleased concerts and some newly remastered concerts. Fans have long awaited an audio upgrade of Elvis' "Best Concert" August 12th Midnight Show 1970 - which will be the icing on the cake.
The set should include
CD1 ‘That's The Way It Is’ - Original Album
CD2 August 10 Opening Show - (FTD One Night In Vegas)
CD3 August 11 DS - Unreleased
CD4 August 11 MS - (BMG Live In Las Vegas box-set)
CD5 August 12 DS - Unreleased
CD6 August 12 MS - (BMG 30th Anniv box-set)
CD7 August 13 DS - (FTD The Wonder Of You)
CD8 Rehearsals - (BMG 30th Anniv box-set)
Note that the contents have not been confirmed as of yet.
Release Date 4 August 2014
Priced at around US$200
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:13:51 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »

This looks good!

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

There's rumour that the content will look like this.

CD1 ‘That's The Way It Is’ - Original Album

CD2 August 10 Opening Show - (FTD One Night In Vegas)

CD3 August 11 DS - Unreleased

CD4 August 11 MS - (BMG Live In Las Vegas box-set)

CD5 August 12 DS - Unreleased

CD6 August 12 MS - (BMG 30th Anniv box-set)

CD7 August 13 DS - (FTD The Wonder Of You)

CD8 Rehearsals - (BMG 30th Anniv box-set)

MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE UNRELEASED SHOWS:

August 11 1970 DS: Opening Theme / Thats All Right / I Got A Woman / Hound Dog / Heartbreak Hotel / Toreador Song (excerpt) / Love Me Tender / Ive Lost You / I Just Cant Help Believin / Something / I Cant Stop Loving You / Sweet Caroline / Youve Lost That Loving Feeling / Polk Salad Annie / Band Introductions / Elvis introduces Sonny King / Bridge Over Troubled Water / Suspicious Minds / Cant Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp

August 12 1970 DS: Opening Theme / Love Me Tender (excerpt) / Thats All Right / I Got A Woman / Hound Dog / Heartbreak Hotel / Love Me Tender / Ive Lost You / I Just Cant Help Believin / Patch It Up / Twenty Days And Twenty Nights / Youve Lost That Loving Feeling / Polk Salad Annie / Band Introductions / Blue Suede Shoes / You Dont Have To Say You Love Me / Bridge Over Troubled Water / Suspicious Minds / Cant Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp

- Jack Rieley
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »

Lots of good news.  I'll get that Blu-Ray Viva Las Vegas for sure.  Are you saying that they have done more work on these releases?  Both Viva movie/and all from 1970.  Hope it's in improved sound, the 2007 was a bit shrill to these ears.   I want that blue light to come on the Denon and sound perfect.  The picture on the Blu-Ray did look good, but could be bettered, maybe.
You've put up a lot of information to ponder.  Gonna check this out more and will get back here.
Rocker, you sure have a finger on the pulse that is Presley.  Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Could you post a link where to find this info.  I checked elvis.com and Amazon with no luck.
I've had a long day working in the storage room, and a pizza on the way... So maybe I didn't search long enough.   take care, the door bell is ringing.   Will
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:43:22 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »

Rocker, you sure have a finger on the pulse that is Presley.  Thanks for keeping us up to date. Could you post a link where to find this info.  I checked elvis.com and Amazon with no luck.

Hi, thanks for your kind words! If I can get people's attention to some of Presley's finest work, I gladly try to.

There's no official word yet. The release  is a rumour at this stage that comes from a Sony insider information, though it is already listed on some sites.

If it gets a release, I wouldn't expect any big upgrade on the DVDs. Probably just a re-release of the 2-DVD set that came out some years ago (which was terrible when it comes to the original movie and the bonus videos). Unfortunately there's no reason for me to expect that they would put just a little work into the DVD/BlueRay release. They obviously don't care and it also looks like they don't have a quality control. Just look what they've done to "On tour".
But I'd loved to be proven wrong.

Enjoy your pizza!

EDIT:

The flyer I posted above is official afaIk, so it is probably not a rumour anymore. Sorry for any confusion I might've stirred. I'm a little confused myself....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:02:39 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 10:16:12 AM »

Here it is!!!!

Elvis: That's The Way It Is (Deluxe Edition) Available on August 5, 2014
4 JUN 2014 | VIA LEGACYRECORDINGS.COM

SONY/RCA/Legacy Recordings Announce the Release of Monumental Definitive Edition of Elvis: That's The Way It Is (Deluxe Edition), the King’s 1970 Album & Concert Documentary, Presented Together for the First Time Ever in a Deluxe Box Set (8CD/2DVD).

That’s The Way It Is (Deluxe Edition) Includes Expanded Version of Original LP, Six Complete Shows from Elvis’ Electrifying Summer of ’70 Las Vegas Season, Rare and Insightful Rehearsals, the 1970 Theatrical Edit AND the 2001 Special Edition of “Elvis: That’s The Way It Is,” 80-Page Booklet featuring Rare Photographs, Memorabilia and Recording Data.

Available on August 5, 2014

In 1970, Elvis Presley fans were thrilled by the arrival of two cultural milestones: one an album, the other a full-length concert/documentary and each of them called Elvis: That's The Way It Is. Since then, aficionados of Elvis have been clamoring for a package that included both the album and the film.

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014, Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release That's The Way It Is (Deluxe Edition), the most ambitious Elvis Presley restoration package ever created, bringing together-for the first time ever--the album, the theatrical and home video versions of the film, six full-length concerts (featuring previously unreleased performances), rehearsal highlights and other rare recordings in one astounding and essential package. The result of an historic partnership between Sony Music and Warner Brothers Home Video, the deluxe set combines the video and audio assets of Elvis: That's The Way It Is with unique and previously unreleased material.

A highly-collectible 8CD/2DVD box set, That's The Way It Is (Deluxe Edition), marks the first time the 1970 documentary and album have been available in a single package, with bonuses including unreleased material, remixed and remastered audio and a new 80-page book detailing the entire event with facts, songwriter and musician interviews, and photos in a deluxe 8CD/2DVD box set. A 2CD Legacy Edition of Elvis: That's The Way It Is will also be available. Elvis: That's The Way It Is (Deluxe Edition) is available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Originally released on RCA Records in November 1970, Elvis: That's The Way It Is combined eight studio tracks, recorded in Nashville, and four live concert performances recorded in Las Vegas during Presley's 1970 "Summer Festival" season at The International Hotel in Las Vegas to create what the All Music Guide has called "...one of his best..." and "essential listening for Elvis fans, both die-hard and casual."

Though never considered a soundtrack album, Elvis: That's The Way It Is was initially released to accompany the first theatrical run of "Elvis: That's The Way It Is," a 1970 documentary feature, directed by Denis Sanders, which combined on-stage, off-stage and behind-the-scenes footage in Presley's first non-dramatic film since his 1956 Hollywood movie debut. In the documentary, Sanders captured and illuminated a pivotal moment in Elvis' transformation from teen idol to consummate showman, Memphis meets Vegas via Hollywood, the King's return to full concert performances after years of film stardom.

Elvis Presley had made a dramatic comeback two years prior to these shows in a transcendent NBC-TV special, which aired in December 1968. The International Hotel, then-newly-built and the largest live venue in Las Vegas, booked Presley for an unprecedented 57 show run in July 1969, a four-week-long residency that would raise the bar and set the standard for superstar entertainment in Vegas and beyond. "There are several unbelievable things about Elvis, but the most incredible is his staying power in a world where meteoric careers fade like shooting stars," Newsweek wrote of his incredible new approach to live performance at the time, while Rolling Stone lauded Elvis as "supernatural--his own resurrection."

Early in 1970, Elvis returned to Vegas for a second engagement at the International, with RCA recording songs for the then forthcoming On Stage, February 1970. Elvis was on a roll and making big plans--including a feature film--surrounding what would be his third Las Vegas engagement, scheduled for the summer of 1970

On June 4, 1970, Elvis arrived at RCA's Studio B in Nashville, where producer Felton Jarvis had assembled a hot new session band featuring Elvis' on-stage guitar legend James Burton. Five nights of recording generated material for no less than three future albums and four singles, including Elvis: That's The Way It Is and the essential Elvis Country album.

On July 14, rehearsals for the movie and live shows commenced at the MGM lot in Culver City, California. The Hollywood cameras rolled for five different rehearsals prior to the opening night on August 10, including augmentation run-throughs with the singers and the orchestra at the hotel. Unquestionably, Elvis was keen to broaden his repertoire for the film, as more than 60 songs were attempted during the period, far more than the usual average of 20 to 25 that would normally be chosen. Over the four nights filmed by MGM, Elvis and his band worked tirelessly, trying out a broad variety of musical styles, emphasizing his desire to share the wide range of music he loved with his audience. Director Denis Sanders captured the end result magnificently, providing fans throughout the world with their first glimpse of the new contemporary Elvis performing at the peak of his vocal prowess both in rehearsal and on the stage.

That's The Way It Is (Deluxe Edition) centers on the six complete shows recorded and partially filmed by MGM. Two of the shows are released for the first time in their entirety; two more have only been available only through the mail-order Elvis fan-club network. The original RCA album is expanded with the four single sides from the period, and a selection of "fly-on-the-wall" outtakes from the June Nashville sessions that produced the majority of tracks for the album. Completing the audio section, a separate disc of insightful rehearsal highlights, featuring unusual song selections showcases both the hard work and the playful atmosphere that governed Elvis' relationship with his musicians. The original Elvis: That's The Way It Is includes fiery renditions of "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me," previously a hit for Dusty Springfield; "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin,'" made famous by The Righteous Brothers, and a show-stopping rendition of Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water." The original album and singles will fill Disc One of the new edition, with six CDs worth of concert performances and one of rehearsal takes from the Summer of '70 International Hotel residency. That's The Way It Is (Deluxe Edition) puts the original RCA album and the 1970 MGM documentary feature together in a single package for the first time. It includes both the original theatrical DVD version (1970) and the re-edited and extended DVD version from 2000.

Elvis: That's The Way It Is (Deluxe Edition)
CD 1
THE ORIGINAL ALBUM
1. I Just Can't Help Believin'
2. Twenty Days And Twenty Nights
3. How The Web Was Woven
4. Patch It Up
5. Mary In The Morning
6. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
7. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
8. I've Lost You
9. Just Pretend
10. Stranger In The Crowd
11. The Next Step Is Love
12. Bridge Over Troubled Water

THE ORIGINAL SINGLES
13. I've Lost You (single version)
14. The Next Step Is Love (single version)
15. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (single version)
16. Patch It Up (single version)

THE OUTTAKES
17. How The Web Was Woven (take 1)
18. I've Lost You (take 1)
19. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (take 2)
20. Patch It Up (take 1)
21. Bridge Over Troubled Water (take 1)

CD 2
August 10 - Opening Night
1. That's All Right
2. Medley: Mystery Train/Tiger Man
3. I Can't Stop Loving You
4. Love Me Tender
5. The Next Step Is Love
6. Words
7. I Just Can't Help Believin'
8. Something
9. Sweet Caroline
10. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
11. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
12. Polk Salad Annie
13. Introductions
14. I've Lost You
15. Bridge Over Troubled Water
16. Patch It Up
17. Can't Help Falling In Love

CD 3
August 11 - Dinner Show
1. That's All Right
2. I Got A Woman *
3. Hound Dog
4. Heartbreak Hotel
5. Love Me Tender *
6. I've Lost You
8. Something
9. I Can't Stop Loving You *
10. Sweet Caroline *
11. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
12. Polk Salad Annie *
13. Introductions *
14. Bridge Over Troubled Water
15. Suspicious Minds *
16. Can't Help Falling In Love *

CD 4
August 11 - Midnight Show
1. That's All Right
2. I Got A Woman
3. Hound Dog
4. Love Me Tender
5. There Goes My Everything
6. Just Pretend
8. Something
9. Men With Broken Hearts
10. Walk A Mile In My Shoes
12. Polk Salad Annie
13. One Night
14. Don't Be Cruel
15. Love Me
16. Instrumental Vamp
17. Heartbreak Hotel
18. Introductions
19. Bridge Over Troubled Water
20. Suspicious Minds
21. Can't Help Falling In Love

CD 5

August 12 - Dinner Show

1. That's All Right *
2. I Got A Woman *
3. Hound Dog *
4. Heartbreak Hotel *
5. Love Me Tender *
6. I've Lost You *
7. I Just Can't Help Believin' *
8. Patch It Up
9. Twenty Days And Twenty Nights
10. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' *
11. Polk Salad Annie *
12. Introductions *
13. Blue Suede Shoes *
14. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
15. Bridge Over Troubled Water
16. Suspicious Minds *
17. Can't Help Falling In Love *

CD 6

August 12 - Midnight Show

1. That's All Right
2. Medley: Mystery Train/Tiger Man
3. Hound Dog
4. Love Me Tender
5. Just Pretend
6. Walk A Mile In My Shoes
7. There Goes My Everything
8. Words
9. Sweet Caroline
10. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
11. Polk Salad Annie
12. Introductions
13. Heartbreak Hotel
14. One Night
15. Blue Suede Shoes
16. All Shook Up
17. Medley: Little Sister/Get Back
18. I Was The One
19. Love Me
20. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
21. Bridge Over Troubled Water
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Can't Help Falling In Love

CD 7

August 13 - Dinner Show

1. That's All Right
2. I Got A Woman
3. Hound Dog
4. Love Me Tender
5. Don't Cry Daddy
6. In The Ghetto
8. Stranger In The Crowd
9. Make The World Go Away
10. Sweet Caroline
12. Polk Salad Annie
13. Introductions
14. The Wonder Of You
15. Heartbreak Hotel
16. Blue Suede Shoes
17. One Night
18. All Shook Up
20. Suspicious Minds
21. Can't Help Falling In Love

CD 8

The Rehearsals

1. Alla En Al Rancho Grande
2. Ghost Riders In The Sky
3. Cotton Fields
4. Froggy Went A-Courtin'
5. Baby Let's Play House
6. I Was The One
7. Money Honey
8. Don't
9. (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
10. Such A Night
11. It's Now Or Never
12. What'd I Say
13. Yesterday
14. Medley: Little Sister/Get Back
15. Don't It Make You Wanna Go Home
16. I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water
17. Stranger In My Own Home Town
18. Farther Along
19. Santa Claus Is Back In Town
20. Oh Happy Day

* Previously unreleased

DVD 1

2001 Special Edition
Restoration Featurette Patch It Up: The Restoration of Elvis - That's The Way It Is Presley Career Highlights
Director / Restorer Filmographies
Theatrical Trailer
Scene Selections

1. Mystery Train/Tiger Man
2. In The Studio
3. That's All Right
4. Little Sister/Get Back
5. Horseplay
6. Twenty Days And Twenty Nights
7. Las Vegas
8. Cattle Call; Chime Bells
9. Words; You Can't Say That
10. Mary In The Morning
11. Countdown To Showtime
12. That's All Right
13. I Got A Woman
14. Hound Dog
15. Heartbreak Hotel
16. Love Me Tender
17. I Can't Stop Loving You
18. Just Pretend
19. The Wonder Of You
20. In The Ghetto
21. Patch It Up
22. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
23. Polk Salad Annie
24. One Night
25. Don't Be Cruel
26. Blue Suede Shoes
27. All Shook Up
28. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
29. Suspicious Minds
30. Can't Help Falling In Love

DVD 2

1970 Original Theatrical Version
Outtakes
Scene Selections

1. Credits
2. Good Morning, Hollywood Camera
3. Bonafide Fans Of Elvis
4. I Just Can't Help Believin'
5. Elvis' Summer Festival
6. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (rehearsal)
7. A Romantic Wedding
8. Opening Night Jitters
9. That's All Right
10. I've Lost You
11. Patch It Up
12. When I First Started
13. Love Me Tender
14. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
15. Sweet Caroline
16. I Just Can't Help Believin'
17. Presley Fans In Vegas
18. Elvis Impersonators
20. Heartbreak Hotel
21. One Night
22. Blue Suede Shoes
23. All Shook Up
24. Polk Salad Annie
25. Audience Mingling
26. Suspicious Minds"
27. Can't Help Falling In Love

www.elvisthemusic.com

www.legacyrecordings.com

www.elvis.com

Source: http://www.legacyrecordings.com/a/#/news/elvis-thats-the-way-it-is-deluxe-edition-available-on-august-5-2014/201/1/

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Way-Deluxe-8CD-2DVD/dp/B00KGMTJFE/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1401897683&sr=1-3&keywords=elvis+presley
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:18:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 01:48:56 PM »

Hey Rocker,  Well that little puppy would be hard to fit in the budget!  Over $200 by the time you add in tax here in the USA.  I do it with the Beach Boys and the Beatles and a few others, but these vault raids keep going sky high, higher and higher.
One thing I'd like to do is make a list of what I have, and get your opinion.  I have a bunch of CDs, but not many DVDs.  Many of the movies I liked as a kid, don't hold up too well.  But the music did.  I think he got better when he left the movies behind and put his focus on music.  1968- really on to his death I liked the best.  Some of the older stuff, but I better not say what to a fan like you.  I am a big Ann-Margret fan, have been since I was a kid.  I could never understand why they didn't release the Viva Las Vegas soundtrack with her bits in 1964.  So the movie is the way to get it.  I have the Viva Las Vegas that came out in 2007, not the Blu-ray, but a friend does.  I'm going to get that and play it on my system and see how it sounds, the reviews and Blu-ray.com give the sound high marks.  My system is great.  Not trying to brag or go all Steve Hoffman, but that Denon I mentioned is an AVR3312CI with Klipsch speakers (I call them my four-on-the-floor) and a OPPO BDP-103 (plays everything you stick in it) that I got a couple of years ago.  I have a center, but no woofer - cause that drives me and everybody else out of the room.  I don't like heavy bass, the Klipch's give me all I need.  So really a 5.0 system.  The blue light is when it kicks in DTS-5.1 Master Audio.  This is where music is going.  I'll never get rid of my vinyl, but the sound is the best for digital.  It's just much much better.  I hope this is where Mark will take the Beach Boys next, then I will buy my favorites one more time.  The Beatles are doing it with their movies, and the difference is major.  A hard Day's Night is coming out soon.
My DVD Elvis: That's the Way It Is - Special Edition is the same one they are re-releasing, right?  So that's no help.  It sounds and looks really good anyway, and from what you (and Amazon) are saying, no Blu-ray is in the cards.  It sounds a lot better than my Viva Las Vegas.
That leaves the concerts, singles and outtakes - some of which I have.  How much better can they make red book CDs sound?  This stuff is o-l-d.  Some, not all, is worth the upgrade.  I'd have to hear them first to decide, cause that's a lot of cash.  I'll watch for reviews.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:26:08 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 02:45:47 PM »

will there be a blu-ray edition of that box??
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 12:41:19 AM »

I have a lot of this stuff already on FTD and other cd's, will have to pass on this pricey beast.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »

Some of the older stuff, but I better not say what to a fan like you.

I'm not that kind of fan. I am only a music fan and that's why I love Elvis and his work so much, because that guy had such an immense amount of talent. Plus him and me share somewhat of a mutual love for the same kind of music as far as I can tell. So, as long as one has his reasons for not liking certain recordings I don't see anything wrong with that. There's a lot of Elvis' work that I don't like either. But I'm not one of the "fans" that buy everything that has his picture on it.
BTW I also love the later periode very much.

I don't know about Viva Las Vegas' soundtrack. It was a big success as a movie and the songs were very good for the most part. The inclusion of Ann Margaret's performances could've been a problem and also "The climb" by the legendary George McFadden. But they could have released an album without the non Presley songs but they didn't. Don't have a clue why.

I don't have many DVDs. Just TTWII (the two disc set), Aloha From Hawaii and the Comeback Special plus a couple of movies as well as some bootlegs. I also don't have any notion of the technical stuff. As of yet I haven't even watched a BlueRay in my life. I guess I'm missing something but I don't have much of an eagerness for that.

Yeah, I guess the DVDs in the boxset are the same as the ones that were released a couple of years ago with the same ridiculous bonus material.

will there be a blu-ray edition of that box??

I'm not sure if this was clearly mentioned: there will also be a 2-disc Legacy release of That's The Way It Is. But afaik there's no info of the content at this moment.

The box is audio mainly. I believe though that the movie TTWII will be released on BlueRay but this box just features it on DVD.

I have a lot of this stuff already on FTD and other cd's, will have to pass on this pricey beast.

I don't think the price is set to stone yet. I could be wrong of course but we'll see when it gets released.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:19:03 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 02:45:36 PM »

Heavy Lifting From the Vaults: Lots of Allmans and Elvis on the Way

" ... Not to be outdone, Sony Legacy is releasing “That’s the Way It Is (Deluxe Edition)” – a mega-plus-size version of Elvis Presley’s 1970 album (originally a single LP), as well as the 1970 film of the same name. The new version, “Elvis: That’s the Way It Is (Deluxe Edition)” will include eight CDs and two DVDs. Sony is calling it “the most ambitious Elvis Presley restoration package ever created,” and there is something to that, not least because Sony owns the audio and Warner Brothers owns the film. The album and film appear here together for the first time.

Moreover, sorting out the recordings themselves was a complicated matter. “That’s the Way It Is” was a hybrid album, with eight studio recordings, taped in Nashville in June 1970, and four live performances, recorded at shows in Las Vegas two months later. The film was part documentary, part concert film, and to keep things complicated it exists in two  forms – the 1970 theatrical original and a recut, extended version released on DVD in 2001.

The sessions that produced the studio tracks actually yielded three full albums and a stack of singles, so Sony focused its archival trawl mostly on the live recordings, which are also the main focus of the film. Its solution: the first CD includes the original album, four songs released as singles and five studio outtakes. Discs 2 through 7 are devoted to six complete Las Vegas concerts, and Disc 8 includes 20 songs from the rehearsals. The DVDs include both versions of the film, as well as outtakes and a featurette, “Patch It Up: The Restoration of Elvis – That’s The Way It Is.”  The set is due on Aug. 5."

Source: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/13/heavy-lifting-from-the-vaults-lots-of-allmans-and-elvis-on-the-way/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 03:23:20 AM »

This ain't got nothing to do with TTWII but I think it's fitting and interesting nonetheless.

60 Years of Rock 'n' Roll Artists

In honor of 60 Years of Rock 'n' Roll, Elvis Presley's Graceland will honor 60 artists each day who have been inspired by Elvis or have helped shape music and pop culture. The 60-day countdown will end with a world-wide celebration in Memphis on July 5 - the day Elvis Presley, Bill Black and Scotty Moore walked into Sam Phillips' Sun Studio and recorded "That's All Right.

http://www.graceland.com/events/60years/60daycountdown.aspx

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 12:52:42 PM »

From amazon:

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 11:02:26 AM »

Just wanted to mention that today is the 60th anniversary of Elvis, Scotty and Bill recording "That's alright, Mama".

That's All Right: 60 Years On

On 5th July 1954, a 19-year-old Elvis Presley walked into Sun Studio and recorded three tracks. To mark the anniversary of Elvis's historic recording, Hollywood actor and musician Sam Palladio hosts That's All Right: 60 Years On, live from Sun Studio in Memphis.

Having recorded Harbor Lights and I Love You Because, Elvis began an impromptu version of an Arthur Crudup song called That's All Right. Producer Sam Phillips instantly knew that he was onto something very different, as did bass player Bill Black who yelled: 'Damn, get that on the radio and they'll run us out of town!'. That's All Right would go on to make Elvis a star, and some argue it was the first ever rock and roll record.

Tonight, live from the now legendary Sun Studio, artists including The Pierces, Laura Bell Bundy and Candi Staton will be performing the songs Elvis recorded that night as well as other classic Elvis tracks. Performances will be broadcast live into the Dermot O'Leary Show (3-6pm) today; the celebration then continues in this programme as Palladio has interviews with those who knew Elvis, as well as further special performances and little-known anecdotes as the story of the first 19 years of Elvis's life and his obsession with music - from gospel, blues to rock and roll - is told.

The day will also be filmed for an hour long programme for broadcast on BBC Four in July.

Duration 1 Hour, 57 Minutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048p6tn

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 02:11:27 PM »

The 2-disc Legacy Edition will feature one of the unreleased concerts on disc 2. Here's the tracklist (thanks to the FECC messageboard). You can pre-order it at amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thats-The-Way-Legacy-Edition/dp/B00KGMTIX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404234277&sr=8-1&keywords=THAT%27S+THE+WAY+IT+IS+LEGACY+EDITION

CD "That's The Way It Is - Legacy Edition" (2-CD)
Release Date: Aug. 5, 2014

CD 1 (The Original Album, singles and outtakes)

I Just Can't Help Believin'
Twenty Days And Twenty Nights
How The Web Was Woven
Patch It Up
Mary In The Morning
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
I've Lost You
Just Pretend
Stranger In The Crowd
The Next Step Is Love
Bridge Over Troubled Water

I've Lost You (single version)
The Next Step Is Love (single version)
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (single version)
Patch It Up (single version)
How The Web Was Woven (take 1)
I've Lost You (take 1)
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (take 2)
Patch It Up (take 1)
Bridge Over Troubled Water (take 1)

CD 2 (August 12 - Dinner Show) (Unreleased concert)

That's All Right
I Got A Woman
Hound Dog
Heartbreak Hotel
Love Me Tender
I've Lost You
I Just Can't Help Believin'
Patch It Up
Twenty Days And Twenty Nights
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
Polk Salad Annie
Introductions
Blue Suede Shoes
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Suspicious Minds
Can't Help Falling In Love
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:16:46 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »

Very cool!! Here's the first sound sample and it sounds fantastic!!!!

Hear Elvis' Unreleased 'Just Can't Help Believin'' Live From Vegas

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-elvis-unreleased-just-cant-help-believin-live-from-vegas-20140714

EDIT:

And some of you might have the chance to view TTWII special edition in a cinema near your home:

http://www.graceland.com/ttwii.aspx

Elvis fans will have the chance to experience the world premiere of the newly re-mastered "Elvis: That's The Way It Is" on the big screen at Elvis Week 2014. The screening will be held on the evening of August 16 at the Orpheum Theatre in Memphis. For more about the Elvis Week screening and ticket information, visit our Elvis Week schedule of events.

For fans unable to attend the Elvis Week world premiere, they will still have a chance to see Elvis on the big screen when the newly-remastered "Elvis: That’s The Way It Is" hits almost 300 theaters in the U.S. following Elvis Week for  a limited engagement.

Below is a complete list of theaters who will feature screenings of the newly re-mastered "Elvis: That's The Way It Is." For more information on screening times and ticket prices, visit the specific theater's website.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:25:51 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 03:51:25 AM »

Trailer premiere: 'Elvis: That's the Way It Is'

http://www.usatoday.com/story/popcandy/2014/07/18/elvis-thats-the-way-it-is/12826255/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »

Here's another sample. "Heartbreak hotel":

Elvis Presley Visits ‘Heartbreak Hotel’ in 1970 in Las Vegas (Exclusive)

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/07/23/elvis-presley-visits-heartbreak-hotel-in-1970-in-las-vegas-exclusive/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »

Another new sample! "Can't help falling in love". It sounds so great! This will be a helluva boxset!

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jul/29/elvis-cant-help-falling-in-love-exclusive-audio-new-box-set

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx