gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:53:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brother Re-Issues: Proposed Bonus Tracks  (Read 173175 times)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 29, 2014, 02:15:23 PM »

Quote from: JohnMill link=topic=17621.msg452390#msg452390
I completely understand Boyd's reservations about releasing a song that seemed to predict Dennis Wilson's tragic fate.

Yes, it's spooky how Dennis wrote a song about a soldier dying, only to tragically die himself in a drowning accident.

Perhaps when Brian dies we'll realise how he amazingly predicted this in Til I Die

Perception is your word of the day my friend.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 29, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »

I think when Alan used the word "We" in the sentence he meant Brian.
that's what I was going to say something akin to this..
Alan: Brian here's a song by Dennis that should be on the MIC set, check it out..(puts the song on)
Brian:no way man!! this song is freaking me out!! the lyrics are too disturbing for me to deal with.. I don't want this song to ever see light of day, tell everyone that you burnt the tapes...
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 29, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »

I completely understand Boyd's reservations about releasing a song that seemed to predict Dennis Wilson's tragic fate.

Yes, it's spooky how Dennis wrote a song about a soldier dying, only to tragically die himself in a drowning accident.

Perhaps when Brian dies we'll realise how he amazingly predicted this in Til I Die
I know right, how sick must they have been to put that one on the box

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 29, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »

How Yoko must've agonized when she included "Living On Borrowed Time" on Milk and Honey 4 loooooong years after John's death... oh and Grow Old With Me...

Oh and her album released a year after John's murder featuring his blood stained glasses prominently displayed on the album cover.

30 years later and we still can't release "Carry Me Home"?

*facepalm*
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #279 on: May 29, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »

Perception is your word of the day my friend.

No, my word of the day is bollocks. Grin
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 29, 2014, 02:52:58 PM »

Dennis didn't die from bullet wounds in the Vietnam war so the song really has no bearing on his own death. If he had sung a song about drowning I could understand the resistance to putting it out.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 29, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »

Yeah well in candy striped Beach Boys reality the sun shines perpetually out of their collective backsides, so a song about a Vietnam vet dying, written during that stinking war is just not kosher. Deal with it. Oh and fun fun fun and all that.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 29, 2014, 08:05:39 PM »

Dennis didn't die from bullet wounds in the Vietnam war so the song really has no bearing on his own death.

Dennis getting shot in Vietnam may not have any bearing, but the quaver in his voice as he sings "I, I don't want to die", that sure as hell does.  It's the emotion in the song that freaks people the hell out, because it sounds too damn real -- something which isn't the case in the Lennon examples, which are at most ironic or sad.

When my wife heard "Carry Me Home" on a Dennis CD I'd burnt...  She wasn't really paying attention to the lyrics in the first half, but when that bit hit, she was just gaping.  She was sure this was one of Dennis' last songs, and somehow he knew.

Much as I'd love to see it released, I can entirely understand why Brian or the others wouldn't want to let those kinds of bad vibrations out into the world...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »

I think when Alan used the word "We" in the sentence he meant Brian.

I think "we" meant the compilers of MIC; Boyd, Wolfe, Linett, and maybe Mike Love.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 29, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »

Dennis was doomed, in retrospect. And died by misadventure due to his years-long habits. Whereas John had something shocking happen to him at the hand of another. Plus, let's face it, Yoko is Yoko.  She's not into always doing the most respectful thing. She also had some anger about how her husband was killed, understandably. Whereas a guy like Brian is very sensitive, polite, and I'm sure what happened to his brother just makes him too sad.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #285 on: May 29, 2014, 11:42:16 PM »

Alan Boyd: "We also felt a little uncomfortable with the idea of at this point in time of Dennis singing (recites lyrics), “Please God don’t let me die“.

What, 30 years after his death?? If not now - when?

I personally strongly suspect that it's the 'The Beach Boys should be fun fun fun' camp who keep blocking Carry Me Home's release. Tragic. The song is staggering.

That wouldn`t be Mike you`re referring to would it?

Obviously he tried to block all of Dennis`s material from MiC so it sounds reasonable.  Roll Eyes

If I'd meant Mike, I'd have said Mike.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »

Dennis didn't die from bullet wounds in the Vietnam war so the song really has no bearing on his own death.

Dennis getting shot in Vietnam may not have any bearing, but the quaver in his voice as he sings "I, I don't want to die", that sure as hell does.  It's the emotion in the song that freaks people the hell out, because it sounds too damn real -- something which isn't the case in the Lennon examples, which are at most ironic or sad.

When my wife heard "Carry Me Home" on a Dennis CD I'd burnt...  She wasn't really paying attention to the lyrics in the first half, but when that bit hit, she was just gaping.  She was sure this was one of Dennis' last songs, and somehow he knew.

Much as I'd love to see it released, I can entirely understand why Brian or the others wouldn't want to let those kinds of bad vibrations out into the world...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

It wasn't one of Dennis' last songs. It was recorded in '73 - a decade before he died.

I just can't imagine any other band having such an obviously fantastic song - with so much power and emotion - and letting it languish in the vaults. It was one of Dennis' finest hours - the respectful thing to do in terms of his songwriting legacy would be to release it so people can choose whether or not they want to hear to it.

Alan Boyd's assertion that because it'd been on bootlegs for years it wasn't worth including on MIC is, quite frankly, utter guff. You could say the same for Back Home (both versions), Guess I'm Dumb, Mona Kani, Had To Phone Ya (backing track), and so on - yet all of 'em were on MIC.

I think Brian objecting to it is the most likely reason for it's exclusion, which is understandable (I'm assuming one of the few genuine passages in the WIBN autobiography is when Brian talks about how much Dennis' death affected him).

Hey, I just hope that when Brian dies we won't see Til I Die pulled from distribution because, you know, well now that he's dead we don't wanna be hearing a song in which he talks about dying, regardless of the songs quality... 
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #287 on: May 30, 2014, 12:30:22 AM »

I personally find Don Giovanni too painful to listen to. The frightenibg passage at the end when the Don descends to hell seems to directly predict Mozarts death of a probable kidney infection less than a decade later. I also find Shakespeare's tragedies too, well.....tragic to watch seeing as how he died an' all.....

What are the chances of someone exploring the concept of death, actually dying ?

I understand what people are saying. Its the way he sings it. To me it's beautiful and powerful, but predictive? I think not.

If Brian, or any family member resisted its release that's fine, but personally I think art should be challenging, not safe and cosy.

This reminds me of the crap Mike Eder used to write about Love You. Along the lines of because it's by someone who is obviously ill, it makes for uncomfortable listening.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:52:24 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2014, 12:47:33 AM »

I agree with everybody wanting to hear an excellent quality version of Carry Me Home. I also get the silliness of not wanting to release a song about death, especially after the group recorded and released a song like Till I Die. But we all seem to be forgetting one important thing that is key to why this song hasn't been released yet. Brian is the only Wilson left, and Carry Me Home is a song about death that is sung by his brother who is now gone. It hurts Brian to hear his brother's voice, singing lyrics like "Life was meant to live, and I, I'm afraid to die" and "Please God, please God, don't take my life". It doesn't matter if Dennis died thirty years ago, or fifty. The pain of a loved one's death never goes away.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 30, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »

Looking at those track listings I would far rather have had this released than MiC.
Deluxe versions of Sunflower, Surf's Up and Holland are needed!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2014, 01:28:26 AM »

It's interesting that these disc's surfaced after the Made In California box set was released. I wonder if these cd's were reviewed once again during the compiling of the MIC set?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 30, 2014, 03:41:57 AM »

A search on the internet learns that Quadim Mastering Studios probably no longer exist. The url does no longer work, there is no social media for the studio etc. The cds are probably not very new!

Plus they had an AOL email address.  Indeed...probably very old.

Surely a bit more searching of this AOL address would've lead us further down the rabbit hole:

http://www.singmastering.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/musicconnectionSINGMastering.pdf
http://www.dnamastering.com
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/david-donnelly-mn0001638277
http://www.indiepromix.com/mastering.html
http://studiocity.patch.com/listings/dna-mastering

I may have gone a bit overboard... Smiley
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2014, 06:46:35 AM »

Maybe they should cleanse 20/20 of the Manson connections, that's really difficult to listen to knowing what Chuck was involved in behind the scenes.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2014, 07:12:41 AM »

Dennis didn't die from bullet wounds in the Vietnam war so the song really has no bearing on his own death. If he had sung a song about drowning I could understand the resistance to putting it out.

Obviously it's because the sentiment of not wanting to die is unique to Dennis. Right?

Ummmmm right?  Undecided
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2014, 11:50:49 AM »

Aren't the lyrics to WIBNTLA similarly troublesome anyway?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »

Alan Boyd: "We also felt a little uncomfortable with the idea of at this point in time of Dennis singing (recites lyrics), “Please God don’t let me die“.

I personally strongly suspect that it's the 'The Beach Boys should be fun fun fun' camp who keep blocking Carry Me Home's release. Tragic. The song is staggering.
l

Obviously he tried to block all of Dennis`s material from MiC so it sounds reasonable.  Roll Eyes

You have no idea how utterly wrong you are in this respect. Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 30, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »

Has anybody tried checking out their local record shops in the SoCal area?  I do wonder if other copies of this are floating around out there...   Wink     
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 30, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »

Has anybody tried checking out their local record shops in the SoCal area?  I do wonder if other copies of this are floating around out there...   Wink     

This really seems like a one-off freak thing, where these copies came from one person's collection. Reallllllllllllllllllllly doubt anyone else finds this same set somewhere else.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 30, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »

l

You have no idea how utterly wrong you are in this respect. Grin
Knowing the truth doesn't seem to make a difference. Mike is always the culprit when we don't agree with band decisions.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 30, 2014, 02:51:02 PM »

These discs getting out reminds me of when a BB collector was selling a bunch of promo stuff from the 80's & 90's Capitol stuff. He was just selling stuff he got by working for Cap. I got some great stuff (photo wise etc) for almost no money. He just wanted to dump it. Sounds like the same here. Back in 1979, a CBS rep came up to me at the radio station I was working at. You want this advance copy of Americathon I have? Sure. When he came back to give it to me, he handed me 5 promo copies of LA as well. Just depends who it is working as the promo guy. The good thing for me about the BB not getting radio play in the 1980s? Whenever BB stuff came into the station? Take this home with you. We aren't going to play it Smiley.

A good friend of mine was talking with a rep from Cap in 2001. Told this rep he liked the BB. Rep said just a minute. Came back wiht promo's of all the Brother and Capitol 2 fers. Here you go!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:54:20 PM by petsite » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx