gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:36:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brother Re-Issues: Proposed Bonus Tracks  (Read 173180 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2014, 09:10:51 AM »

How clean is the "Carry me Home" mix in comparison to the boots?
The cleanest I've ever heard by miles.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »

Wow...well hopefully someday I will hear it. I thought maybe the reason for not releasing that was cos they couldn't find the tapes or something...guess not

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »

Yeah I believe Carry Me Home is at the top of many people's list of songs that need to be released officially now that we have CF demo and WIBNTLA.
Jason
« Reply #253 on: May 28, 2014, 12:13:41 PM »

Probably the subject matter, but still..."we must be brave," as Van Dyke Parks once said to an indecisive Brian Wilson. It's a gem of a tune.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 28, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »

Having heard the "Fourth of July" alt. version over the phone (thanks again Jon), with a reference guitar lead line and what sounds like a full set of backing vocals, it makes me wonder if a "best of both worlds" mix could be created that combines Carl's doubled lead from the GV boxed set version, and the backing vocals off this tape.

The lead guitar line also reminds me of a hypothesis I once had: that one of Brian's "secrets" was to have an instrument double the lead vocal line but have it mixed way in the background to the point of being imperceptible, in order to create a fuller vocal sound -- in the days before Melodyne and Auto-Tune.

Lee
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »

I need to leave this thread. It's making me feel anxious. I don't like to needlessly waste away in anxiety for nothing. LOL
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 28, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »

I need to leave this thread. It's making me feel anxious. I don't like to needlessly waste away in anxiety for nothing. LOL

If you're to waste away, better to be in Margaritaville

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 28, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »

Man I would love to hear these tracks.

When you guys mention 15 Big Ones and Love You, I can't help but to think all those songs could have sounded much better with a different mix - the versions Klay has should all be an improvement to my ears, LOL.  LOL

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »

Til i  Die i think is the one I'm most interested in, followed by This Whole World, and Fairy Tale.

It may have been asked before, but are the Love You versions here the same as the early mixes on the Brian Loves You boot?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2014, 10:47:24 PM »

How does Brian's voice sound in the "A Casual Look" home recording? What kind of shape is it in? Is it "clean", as in the pre 1974 recordings? Or does it show the damage evident on the 15 Big Ones album?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 29, 2014, 01:03:02 AM »

this is unfair Capitol... just post the songs on Itunes and let the hardcores buy the sh*t up. No costly cd production needed.
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2014, 03:42:31 AM »

Wow...well hopefully someday I will hear it. I thought maybe the reason for not releasing that was cos they couldn't find the tapes or something...guess not
I'd love to have a decent sounding Carry Me Home. It's definitely at the top of the list of unreleased stuff for me.

In an interview here: http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2013/09/04/made-in-california-producers-alan-boyd-dennis-wolfe-mark-linett-beach-boys-interview/#sthash.T59PbmPm.dpbs
... Alan Boyd explains why it was left off MIC...
Alan Boyd: There are a few specific tracks that keep getting discussed by the fans. One is Carry Me Home, a Dennis Wilson song. We had put so much Dennis material on the box plus the fact that the song has been circulating for 25 years factored into our decision to leave it off. We also felt a little uncomfortable with the idea of at this point in time of Dennis singing (recites lyrics), “Please God don’t let me die“.

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2014, 08:22:17 AM »

Alan Boyd: There are a few specific tracks that keep getting discussed by the fans. One is Carry Me Home, a Dennis Wilson song. We had put so much Dennis material on the box plus the fact that the song has been circulating for 25 years factored into our decision to leave it off. We also felt a little uncomfortable with the idea of at this point in time of Dennis singing (recites lyrics), “Please God don’t let me die“.

So what's the difference with Dennis being dead vs the Carl Wilson coda?  Both are dead, it's sad they are but "Carry Me Home" is an epic song and a historic part of BB history.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:23:26 AM by Not Dick Dale » Logged

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2014, 08:39:08 AM »

I'm still hoping a clean live recording of I've Got A Friend shows up one day as well.
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2014, 09:06:26 AM »

Although these reissues are not connected with any current project, are reissues being planned (other than the SACDs)? 
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2014, 12:34:11 PM »

Alan Boyd: "We also felt a little uncomfortable with the idea of at this point in time of Dennis singing (recites lyrics), “Please God don’t let me die“.

What, 30 years after his death?? If not now - when?

I personally strongly suspect that it's the 'The Beach Boys should be fun fun fun' camp who keep blocking Carry Me Home's release. Tragic. The song is staggering.
Nicko1234
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »

Alan Boyd: "We also felt a little uncomfortable with the idea of at this point in time of Dennis singing (recites lyrics), “Please God don’t let me die“.

I personally strongly suspect that it's the 'The Beach Boys should be fun fun fun' camp who keep blocking Carry Me Home's release. Tragic. The song is staggering.

That wouldn`t be Mike you`re referring to would it?

Obviously he tried to block all of Dennis`s material from MiC so it sounds reasonable.  Roll Eyes
Jason
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »

The impression I got from reading the pre-MIC press was that Mike was actually among the most vocal of the band members in pushing for more Dennis stuff on the box.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »

Yes, with due respect to Alan Boyd (whose efforts I appreciate), I can't quite get on board with his objections to this track.  "...plus the fact that the song has been circulating for 25 years factored into our decision to leave it off" also sticks in the craw a little when we're talking about a box set that also contains the mono single mix of "Good Vibrations".
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »

Perhaps never?  Perhaps as it should be?

Look there is precedent that can be cited for both sides of this argument.  Andy Gibb for example recorded a song of which I can't recall the title at this moment shortly before his death which included the lyrics "I'm too young to die" or something to that nature and that sat unreleased for many years before The Bee Gees decided to put it out on a box set around a decade or so ago.

But there is also precedent in terms of keeping unreleased songs vaulted which have lyrics that when looked at in retrospect either have ominous undertones or cast the songwriter in a light which those who have been entrusted to protect his legacy aren't comfortable having him cast in.  When it comes to retrospective or archival releases, the general idea is almost universally to pay the artist's legacy tribute and to present it to the public (including those who might be unfamiliar with the artist) in a positive way.  I completely understand Boyd's reservations about releasing a song that seemed to predict Dennis Wilson's tragic fate.  It's ironic because for years one of the lines we were handed as a fanbase regarding the non-appearance/release of "SMiLE" was that it was not appropriate music to release to the public.  In some cases this is actually true and this Dennis Wilson rarity no matter how staggering it may be, seems to fall under that category.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:50:40 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »

Perhaps never?  Perhaps as it should be?

Look there is precedent that can be cited for both sides of this argument.  Andy Gibb for example recorded a song of which I can't recall the title at this moment shortly before his death which included the lyrics "I'm too young too die" or something to that nature and that sat unreleased for many years before The Bee Gees decided to put it out on a box set around a decade or so ago.

But there is also precedent in terms of keeping unreleased songs vaulted which have lyrics that when looked at in retrospect either have ominous undertones or cast the songwriter in a light which those who have been entrusted to protect his legacy aren't comfortable having him cast in.  When it comes to retrospective or archival releases, the general idea is almost universally to pay the artist's legacy tribute and to present it to the public (including those who might be unfamiliar with the artist) in a positive way.  I completely understand Boyd's reservations about releasing a song that seemed to predict Dennis Wilson's tragic fate.  It's ironic because for years one of the lines we were handed as a fanbase regarding the non-appearance/release of "SMiLE" was that it was not appropriate music to release to the public.  In some cases this is actually true and this Dennis Wilson rarity no matter how staggering it may be, seems to fall under that category.

One thing seems certain to me... if "Never Learn Not to Love" had been recorded, intended for release, but not yet released before the Manson murders happened, I don't think it would ever see the light of official release, even on MIC, regardless of it being fully realized, and one of Denny's very best, IMO.

It sucks, but we are in fact lucky to have what we have with this band and its politics. That said, I'm dying to hear all of these new tracks! If Capitol is smart, they'll put all of these out soon in some capacity for consumers to purchase in some fashion.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:03:07 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »

At least there's "The Big Beat 1972" to look forward to.
Jason
« Reply #272 on: May 29, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »

At least there's "The Big Beat 1972" to look forward to.

You just won the thread. Only eight more years to go!  LOL
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 29, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »

I think when Alan used the word "We" in the sentence he meant Brian.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #274 on: May 29, 2014, 02:11:53 PM »

Quote from: JohnMill link=topic=17621.msg452390#msg452390
 I completely understand Boyd's reservations about releasing a song that seemed to predict Dennis Wilson's tragic fate.

Yes, it's spooky how Dennis wrote a song about a soldier dying, only to tragically die himself in a drowning accident.

Perhaps when Brian dies we'll realise how he amazingly predicted this in Til I Die
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx