gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:13:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brother Re-Issues: Proposed Bonus Tracks  (Read 171455 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »

Pretty cool find aye.

Surprised no one has asked about alternate Til I Die lyrics, or is it just cause they're the 'positive' interpretation "it lifts me up...I'll find my way..." Etc etc?

While I'm not one of the lucky few to have heard this alternate "positive" version, I can only imagine how lucky we all are that the song wasn't released with these lyrics that would likely have bastardized Brian's vision for the song.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2014, 05:32:20 AM »

Yep.  I've not heard it either, only of it Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2014, 06:26:37 AM »

Absence of files is absence of evidence in my book. This extraordinary claim of holding this material demands extraordinary evidence = some files containing sound from these sessions.

I cannot see how anyone else can take anything posted here as evidence.

Also, this is the internet, and because people are not speaking face-to-face it's impossible to discern what and how other people are communicating. Sometimes it might come across as crass but this can happen even between the best of friends without it being intentional. I haven't seen anything insulting written here, but apparently some here don't realise how the internet works/fails to work and that one can never take even explicit insults seriously from someone on some screen somewhere else and has never met you, nor probably will. You are in for a very upsetting experience if you think people will treat you on the internet like they would in real life. Never take sh*t written on the internet personally. Perhaps most people here are 30+ and never realised this, thus making (imo) nifty messages being equivalent to hate mail. Said people then go on to lament the 'good ol times' when the board was full of beach boys insiders. Perhaps all the insiders didn't understand to not take an internet post personally either...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »

This was the last place that I thought that fighting and cyber-bullying would take place. That we come here because we have a common bond, a love that draws us to this place. Turns out that I was dead wrong, as these types of boards breed this kind of behavior. I am guilty of it myself a time or two. But calling Clay out because he has something that we don't is just childish, jealous behavior. We all know there is unbooted material out there in the hands of a select few. Whether this is from Capitol or just a homemade CDR, that question really is moot. The music on it seems to be real. Be happy for the guy that he hit the mother-lode. If it was me and you were all calling me out on it, I'd tell you all to go f**k yourselves. There would never be a chance in hell that you would be included in verifying what I had in my possession. As for taking things personally, when a post is directed at you personally, then yes, it is personal. Remember too, Clay is not an insider, just one of us regular Joe's who walked into a store and had a very lucky, happy day and whose joy was possibly ruined by our crappy behavior over it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:31:08 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2014, 07:38:43 AM »

Somehow I've missed the posts where people demanded that Clay should share the tracks or calling him a liar. Maybe the administrators erased them.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2014, 07:42:23 AM »

Somehow I've missed the posts where people demanded that Clay should share the tracks or calling him a liar. Maybe the administrators erased them.
From Custom Machine: "Ya know what, Klay?  This sounds like a total crock of bullshit." and that is just one and it was the first sentence of the post.

From Jason Pennick: "The real mystery to me is why the people who discover these rare outtakes feel the need to come on here and crow about it to get us all salivating, only to go on about how they're not going to share it to anyone."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:45:18 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2014, 07:53:22 AM »

group hug

C'mon, it's gonna be alright!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2014, 07:55:32 AM »

Jon Stebbins posted that he had heard excerpts, and believed them to be the real deal.  I would consider that to be third-party corroboration from a trusted individual -- unless the implication is that Jon is in collusion with Klay -- which would be a serious accusation.

Now if another expert (e.g. AGD) were to listen to the same snippets, and then come on here and offer an opinion to the contrary, well, we would be back to square one...

Lee
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »

This was the last place that I thought that fighting and cyber-bullying would take place. That we come here because we have a common bond, a love that draws us to this place. Turns out that I was dead wrong, as these types of boards breed this kind of behavior. I am guilty of it myself a time or two. But calling Clay out because he has something that we don't is just childish, jealous behavior. We all know there is unbooted material out there in the hands of a select few. Whether this is from Capitol or just a homemade CDR, that question really is moot. The music on it seems to be real. Be happy for the guy that he hit the mother-lode. If it was me and you were all calling me out on it, I'd tell you all to go f**k yourselves. There would never be a chance in hell that you would be included in verifying what I had in my possession. As for taking things personally, when a post is directed at you personally, then yes, it is personal. Remember too, Clay is not an insider, just one of us regular Joe's who walked into a store and had a very lucky, happy day and whose joy was possibly ruined by our crappy behavior over it.

Believe me when I say I'm happy for anyone to hear more of the Beach Boys. People are quite keen to take part in that however (including myself) and while keeping in mind that none of us are entitled to anything, we would like him to share in his findings, especially if he took the effort to post pictures of his 'mother-lode' and describe them to us. Now for some that might bee upsetting in itself that he doens't share and it's perfectly fine for them to do so (within reasonable limits) and it's a free internet so they should be encouraged to post their opinions. You may not share them, but I don't see why that gives you the righteousness to shoot them down and make big complaints over the members of this board and their supposed destructive behaviour. I haven't even seen an angry message in this thread!  Roll Eyes
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2014, 08:36:53 AM »

From Custom Machine: "Ya know what, Klay?  This sounds like a total crock of bullshit." and that is just one and it was the first sentence of the post.

From Jason Pennick: "The real mystery to me is why the people who discover these rare outtakes feel the need to come on here and crow about it to get us all salivating, only to go on about how they're not going to share it to anyone."

perfectly valid opinions! It could very easily be troll because some of these sessions are only rumoured or mythic in nature. no evidence has been presented apart from a tracklist any fanboy could draw up. having this gold nugget of songs is extraordinary and requires the extraordinary evidence, which was not provided.

people had bad experience when WIBNTLA  was leaked and the dude wanted rare collectables for 30 sec snippets in perhaps one of the most outrages incidents I ever saw. You cannot blame people from being weary of this happening again because that was quite understandably offpissing to at least some people.

even now I don't understand why one would post messages about the great find. what reaction is to be expected? Everyone to write 'great for you!' and smileys or is it more reasonable to expect people to say 'cool, is it possible you can share it now that you mentioned it?'

I never understand people reluctant to share this stuff..it's just music files like any other.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38:27 AM »

Jon Stebbins posted that he had heard excerpts, and believed them to be the real deal.  I would consider that to be third-party corroboration from a trusted individual -- unless the implication is that Jon is in collusion with Klay -- which would be a serious accusation.

Now if another expert (e.g. AGD) were to listen to the same snippets, and then come on here and offer an opinion to the contrary, well, we would be back to square one...

Lee

that sounds great! but why must a 'trusted individual' have to gain priority access to this stuff. It's out, why not share it? It's just painful reading about what music sounds like.
Jason
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2014, 08:39:57 AM »

When it's your job potentially at stake, you'd understand.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2014, 08:59:36 AM »

I haven't seen anything insulting written here, but apparently some here don't realise how the internet works/fails to work and that one can never take even explicit insults seriously from someone on some screen somewhere else and has never met you, nor probably will.

I've been on the internet daily for just about twenty-five years now, since the days of Usenet and fetch, and BBSing for years before that.  Over those years I've been netstalked, cyberbullied, DDoSed, hacked, slandered to potential employers, my wife had a hate-site made about her (which got positively gynecological in its obsession), and we once had to help a friend through a court case when a net.nutburger started harassing her at her work.  I've shrugged off all kinds of flaming, trolling, sneering, whining, bitching, threatening, and general attempted cruelty.

The fact that I know how the internet works in *no* way makes me want to tolerate casual nastiness on it.  Kind of the reverse.  It is not the rest of the world's responsibility to grow a thicker skin; it's our responsibility to keep our own behavior civil.

Rant over.  Sorry for the seriousness, folks.

Regards,
Jon Blum
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »

About what jason wrote... Well, it's a valid question. We know that, almost surely, that for example AGD and Jon Stebbins have in their possession unleaked tracks. But we also know that those were shared in confidence with them and if those started to circulate sh*t would fly on their heads. So no one here will start to whine and demand 'generosity' from them. At least in teh open, god knows what happens in PMs. LOL

Now, Clay stumbled at those CDs and has nothing to lose if he shares. I'M NOT IN ANY WAY DEMANDING THAT HE SHOULD SHARE. But well, that's a valid question. You come here and describe those tracks... Whay don't you share? he could answer 'well, I don't feel like doing it because no one ever shared squat with me'. Fine. There's an aswer.

About what custom machine wrote... Well, it did sound like BS. But he was not called a liar or a troll.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »

I haven't seen anything insulting written here, but apparently some here don't realise how the internet works/fails to work and that one can never take even explicit insults seriously from someone on some screen somewhere else and has never met you, nor probably will.

I've been on the internet daily for just about twenty-five years now, since the days of Usenet and fetch, and BBSing for years before that.  Over those years I've been netstalked, cyberbullied, DDoSed, hacked, slandered to potential employers, my wife had a hate-site made about her (which got positively gynecological in its obsession), and we once had to help a friend through a court case when a net.nutburger started harassing her at her work.  I've shrugged off all kinds of flaming, trolling, sneering, whining, bitching, threatening, and general attempted cruelty.

The fact that I know how the internet works in *no* way makes me want to tolerate casual nastiness on it.  Kind of the reverse.  It is not the rest of the world's responsibility to grow a thicker skin; it's our responsibility to keep our own behavior civil.

Rant over.  Sorry for the seriousness, folks.

Regards,
Jon Blum
You are absolutely correct, and especially here. This should be the one place where you'd think we would be civil to one another. As with most everything that has come my way, being friendly and non-coercing is what included me in the circle of sharing. There is also that matter of trust that comes with time. Andrew has mentioned it hundreds of times, whether it is sharing information, music, whatever, being able to be trusted is how most people become included in the inner circles. Believe me, I know quite a few folks who have stopped sharing because of broken trusts. Though, I know that with most people it is just about ME-ME-ME!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2014, 09:31:09 AM »

From Custom Machine: "Ya know what, Klay?  This sounds like a total crock of bullshit." and that is just one and it was the first sentence of the post.

About what jason wrote... Well, it's a valid question. We know that, almost surely, that for example AGD and Jon Stebbins have in their possession unleaked tracks. But we also know that those were shared in confidence with them and if those started to circulate sh*t would fly on their heads. So no one here will start to whine and demand 'generosity' from them. At least in teh open, god knows what happens in PMs. LOL

Now, Clay stumbled at those CDs and has nothing to lose if he shares. I'M NOT IN ANY WAY DEMANDING THAT HE SHOULD SHARE. But well, that's a valid question. You come here and describe those tracks... Whay don't you share? he could answer 'well, I don't feel like doing it because no one ever shared squat with me'. Fine. There's an aswer.

About what custom machine wrote... Well, it did sound like BS. But he was not called a liar or a troll.
He don't ah? I wouldn't share in here and make it known. People watch this place. He has plenty to lose if they go after him. Let me ask you, would you share with people who act like pricks? Whether something is bullshit or not, you don't say it like that. I would have been offended if asked like that. Also, one should never assume that they are going to be treated and the other party doesn't need to give a reason either. Clay asked for identification help and everyone started feeling entitled to what he had. If you have something like this, of course this is the place to come to find out exactly what you have. He did right by going to Jon and Jon only. He's one of the expert here, not all of us.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2014, 09:44:26 AM »

what if.... Capitol IS going to release those deluxe cds and either A) placed the cd with the bonus tracks in the store knowing that the fan base would talk about it and the word would get around as kind of free advertisement or B) maybe Klay works for Capitol and is hinting of things to come and he really DOES have the recordings or at least has heard them... just a thought.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2014, 09:53:43 AM »

He don't ah? I wouldn't share in here and make it known. People watch this place. He has plenty to lose if they go after him. Let me ask you, would you share with people who act like pricks? Whether something is bullshit or not, you don't say it like that. I would have been offended if asked like that. Also, one should never assume that they are going to be treated and the other party doesn't need to give a reason either. Clay asked for identification help and everyone started feeling entitled to what he had. If you have something like this, of course this is the place to come to find out exactly what you have. He did right by going to Jon and Jon only. He's one of the expert here, not all of us.
You have an opinion and are sticking to it. You think veryone was a prick to Clay and he was right to split. Fine. I have a different opinion but we're starting to go in circles here.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »

I am fairly certain this is one of the many ideas floated at Capitol for a better catalog state of availability. SO......there are a few realities that are apparent to me...

1) The Brother Era albums are due for remastering and reissue
2) They would probably sell better with bonus tracks
3) Capitol has been attentive to trying to release tracks that are reputedly listenable and spoken about by collectors
4) The list of tracks Klay has found is the best of unissued Seventies material (I would add My Solution)
5) Why attack someone who has disclosed information being considered for the capitol Universal reissue program?

If it runs amuck, call the duck
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2014, 10:17:43 AM »

Indie record stores have always sold bootlegs. They have access to wholesalers and some are willing to take the risk to sell them. Since this was found with other bootlegs, chances are that's what it is. Which means there may be others out there, somewhere.

The only other possibility is since the store is in LA, maybe an industry person deliberately planted this to get people talking or to pressure Capitol to release the material. I can't see it being planted or sold to the record store by accident, if this is a unique item.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2014, 10:49:59 AM »

Whose job? The guy just found these discs at a record store. The two instances when this happened to me - when I outright found something and wasn't given it in confidence (thus no one losing their job etc.), I had the song(s) online for others to hear literally within minutes. I know links can't be posted here, nor requests made, but I don't think anyone's job is at risk over this.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2014, 11:10:28 AM »

Whose job? The guy just found these discs at a record store. The two instances when this happened to me - when I outright found something and wasn't given it in confidence (thus no one losing their job etc.), I had the song(s) online for others to hear literally within minutes. I know links can't be posted here, nor requests made, but I don't think anyone's job is at risk over this.

It could result in action being taken against this board and then there would be no board. Not that anyone is making money off it, but it is one of the few Beach Boy forums left out there. The powers that be in BB land read this board and they don't like unauthorized material being circulated.
Jason
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »

You never heard about the debacle over Get the Boot, did you? Let's just say it wasn't pretty.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »

You have an opinion and are sticking to it. You think veryone was a prick to Clay and he was right to split. Fine. I have a different opinion but we're starting to go in circles here.

No you and I have not gone in circles. I've barely discussed this with you. Not everyone was a prick, but enough were that I completely understand why he isn't commenting further here. So, now we know where each other stands. I surely hope that you don't ask for gifts like how it was done in here. I doubt you will ever get what you're looking for. Enough said from me on the subject.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »

Content question: why might "Burlesque" not be on the Surf's Up listing?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx