gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:09:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brother Re-Issues: Proposed Bonus Tracks  (Read 171443 times)
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »

When Record Store Day came around this year I went to my local shop in Los Angeles. After waiting an hour in line to pick up the Sun Records comp, I made my way over to the Beach Boys cds, not expecting much; I go to the store about once a week, always on the lookout for something new to add to my BB collection, hoping against hope something rare will show up.

Lo and behold, I spot something out of the ordinary:

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:09:10 PM by Klay » Logged
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:07:52 PM by Klay » Logged
Jason
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »

If it's something you saw in a store, nothing to worry about.

Some interesting selections for sure. Quite a few titles that haven't seen the light of day.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »

Some other insights based on the track list -

Many of these titles have been teased for years and many have circulated probably as far back as the late 1970s. Based off of what I know from what's on the comp, much of what's here is certainly "bonus track" quality.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »

WOW. You are one lucky guy. How's the Til I Die demo sound?
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 06:08:52 PM »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:07:35 PM by Klay » Logged
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »

AWAKE is one of the most beautiful songs I ever heard. Can't figure out why they never released it. Brian's voice is so incredible on it. Probably the prettiest demo recording ever.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 06:24:53 PM »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:07:15 PM by Klay » Logged
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 06:52:38 PM »

Great find! Can you shed some light on the This Whole World (Alt vocals / long version)?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »

Shocked  You have done very well!

Any artifacts on the cover or the CDs (ie, if you stick it in a PC drive and see what date the files were created) that indicate what year this was put together?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 08:24:42 PM »

I would give you my left hand for that "'Til I Die" demo.

Edit: Oh, hey, look. 1000 posts.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »

I would give you my left hand for that "'Til I Die" demo.

Edit: Oh, hey, look. 1000 posts.

Pirate  Yay, Bubbly Waves - both a cause for celebration and a pause for concern are in order

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »

Holy crap...is this real? i'd kill to hear that til i die demo, and Clangin'.

crazy...i heard a bit of MIC before it's release, and yet there's STILL stuff out there i've never heard!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »

Can't wait until you get to hear it all and then deliver a full report/review of your findings, double spaced, due by Wednesday evening. Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 08:43:31 PM »

Great find! Can you shed some light on the This Whole World (Alt vocals / long version)?

It starts with a brief session intro, just a little noodling before the count-in. The opening "I'm thinkin bout this whole world" sounds like Mike instead of Brian--possibly doubled with somebody else but even with headphones I can't be sure. Then it goes into Carl's lead, which is double-tracked. "When girls get mad at boys and go..." is sung by Brian as heard on Disc 6 of Made in California. He sounds awesome! I wish this line made the final cut. "You are there like everywhere" is back to Carl, double tracked again. The wordless break has a different mix with some of the backing vocals featured more prominently, reminding me of the dense, swirling vocal textures on Smile. The Sunflower mix is relatively tame here, favoring Brian's vocal at the expense of the overall blend. You can get a pretty good idea what I'm talking about by listening to the vocals-only mix of this passage and then the Sunflower version. Then, rather than an a cappella fade, the track keeps playing under the "Ah-Oom-Dot-Di-Dit" vocals. Where the song would normally end, Brian comes over the monitor and says, "that's it" but the band jams on for another minute until Brian comes on again saying, "we got it".  
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:45:36 PM by Klay » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »

I don't see anything there that hasn't been booted before. Even the various mixes have shown up on boots. Nothing really surprising here. Was this from Rockaway or Amoeba or Fingerprints or Origami or Atomic or which store in L.A.?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 09:08:53 PM »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:06:08 PM by Klay » Logged
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:47 PM »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:05:36 PM by Klay » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »

I don't see anything there that hasn't been booted before. Even the various mixes have shown up on boots. Nothing really surprising here. Was this from Rockaway or Amoeba or Fingerprints or Origami or Atomic or which store in L.A.?
I havent seen the TiI Die demo booted before, and ive never heard Clangin.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »

So how does "Hawaii Song" sound ? And which "Ol' Movie" ? Some of those track notations and placements indicate to me that whoever compiled those lists doesn't know their BB archives, and that rules out Capitol or anything connected with Boyd. Something not quite right here.

This is important - if anyone is thinking of contacting Boyd about this, please don't. He's otherwise occupied right now. Maybe later.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:05:00 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »

"Single Release" of "We Got Love"?

Oh, and the idea of there being a whole extra minute of "This Whole World" blows my mind. That song always felt like it should go on forever...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 10:22:24 PM »

Considering the track actually known as Hawaiian Song has a) never left the vaults, and b) was recorded YEARS before its placement here, I have a strong feeling it's a different song with the wrong title.  The weird thing is I was told years ago that the original lyrics of Til I Die were wiped and the tape no longer exists.

Most odd.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »

There is no "original mix" of "4th of July": the song as released on the 1993 box set was pieced together from at least two different tapes, and it's long been known that Carl's lead was a scratch/work vocal. It wasn't finished back in 1971. Definitely something odd going on here.

Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 11:24:16 PM »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:05:18 PM by Klay » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 11:34:57 PM »

Some of those track notations and placements indicate to me that whoever compiled those lists doesn't know their BB archives, and that rules out Capitol or anything connected with Boyd. Something not quite right here.

There's only one mistake on the set as far as I know: the track on Disc 2 listed as "Let's Put Our Hearts Together (early mix-Al lead)" is actually Love Is a Woman with Al on lead.

Beg to differ, but looking purely at the track listing there's about nine, ten errors that simply would not happen if Capitol or BRI (=Alan Boyd) were involved.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx