gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:00:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brother Re-Issues: Proposed Bonus Tracks  (Read 171482 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2014, 12:37:21 AM »

Ya know what, Klay?  This sounds like a total crock of bullshit.  

But, that being said, I'd like to believe you've stumbled across something really cool, on Record Store Day, no less.

So it sounds like you waited an hour to pick up your Sun Records comp, when one would assume you'd also pay for that purchase, but perhaps not, then you made it over to the Beach Boys section "hoping against hope that something rare will show up" and amazingly it does!  OK, really cool.  

So the first thing I'm curious about is the handwriting.  Do your copies of this two disc set contain the original handwritten inserts, or do the inserts look like copies?  Do you feel what you have is a one-of-a-kind original, or do you think this is one of potentially many copies of the original?  How closely does the handwriting on these jewel case inserts resemble your own?  (Or Lee Dempsey's, for that matter! Grin)

Next, the jewel case inserts themselves exactly resemble those of the TDK CD-R brand, which were last made roughly 10 years ago, with each CD-R and insert sold individually in jewel cases.  One side said "Title" and had exactly 22 lines, as do yours (when shown fully, which I think only applies to your first scan or photo) and the other side was in full color with no lines or space for writing.  Since you show two-sided inserts per disc, were the inserts printed back to back, or do you have two separate inserts placed back to back?

Are these CD-Rs, or are these factory CDs?  Please post a scan or photo of the label side of the CD's themselves.

You stated, "Each jewel case is branded with the following: 'All selections are from rough sources only and in no way reflect the quality of the final product.'"  Can you please post a scan or photo of this statement on the jewel cases?  Also, are these standard size or slim-line jewel cases?  What color is the plastic insert which holds each disc?  (Eg, black, white, clear plastic, etc?)  And could you perhaps explain why not even one of the tracks supposedly under consideration on these CDs is from better than a "rough source"?

That's it - the end of my questions, at least for know.  Like I said, my gut feeling, unless this is a very cool and cleverly done bootleg, is that this whole thing sounds like top quality BS.  Well, actually rather low quality BS.  But I'd absolutely love to discover that this is genuine, either as a bootleg, or less likely, an actual working CD intended for Capitol Records.  So do us all a favor, in addition to my requests above, send a few of the ultra-rare files to Lee Dempsey and Andrew Doe and let them report back to the board.  Or, at the very least, give 'em a call and play the songs over the phone.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:52:16 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2014, 06:42:26 AM »

After last few posts, i doubt we will ever hear from this dude again.. If I were in his place and this cd was real deal, I wouldn´t pass songs to this board...
The guy was asked about the content, songs and he answered them pretty well and concrete.. Shame some of us have to put him down like this...
Maybe I´m just naive..
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2014, 07:04:48 AM »

After last few posts, i doubt we will ever hear from this dude again.. If I were in his place and this cd was real deal, I wouldn´t pass songs to this board...
The guy was asked about the content, songs and he answered them pretty well and concrete.. Shame some of us have to put him down like this...
Maybe I´m just naive..

+1

Legit or not, the dude has been pummeled.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »

I've shopped at that place at least a dozen times in the past.
Frequently scored gold when it came to Beach Boys/Beatles boots.
Always great stuff, Greenwich Village-record store-in-the-'80s-quality discs.
I have no reason to doubt this guy.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2014, 07:17:32 AM »

Not everyone spends their life on the internet.

Yeah, some of us spend our life watching TV.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »

So the first thing I'm curious about is the handwriting.  Do your copies of this two disc set contain the original handwritten inserts, or do the inserts look like copies?  Do you feel what you have is a one-of-a-kind original, or do you think this is one of potentially many copies of the original?  How closely does the handwriting on these jewel case inserts resemble your own?  (Or Lee Dempsey's, for that matter! Grin)

There are some very specific traits in the handwriting -- the most obvious to me is that all of the periods after numbers and abbreviations are about 1/3 the way up off the baseline.  That's a pretty uncommon handwriting characteristic (and probably the main thing that doesn't match my own handwriting!)  LOL

Lee
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2014, 08:55:15 AM »

I so want to hear the track "Alan Boyd accidentally erases Good Vibrations vocals"!!! Cheesy

Whether Klay's klaym claim is legit or not, that joke alone was worth the thread!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2014, 10:56:31 AM »

Well I, as stated in my previous post, would love for this to be legitimate with some real gems, and hope Klay comes back with more posts providing additional info.  Hopefully it's a bootleg (if, in fact, the board rules allow one to hope for a bootleg Smiley) and thus more copies will pop up.  Many of the questions in my previous post were aimed at attempting to determine if this appears to be a one-of-a-kind item, or a bootleg made to look as such, which means there should be a number of copies floating around.  I hope Klay will clarify that info. 
Jason
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »

For the record, you guys can talk about bootlegs to your heart's content. It's the whole requesting and/or trading bootlegs that has to be done off of the board.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »

I think the way to get more info about what this actually is would be to do what someone suggested up thread and talk to the people that work at the store. A music store participating in Record Store Day would have some idea what they were selling here. For that reason, I'm pretty skeptical about it being something from the tower and think it's probably a homemade bootleg.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:12:33 PM by Amanda Hart » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »

For the record, you guys can talk about bootlegs to your heart's content. It's the whole requesting and/or trading bootlegs that has to be done off of the board.

Thanks for the clarification.  One thing that fascinates me is how many of the types of things that used to be leak out on bootlegs now pop up on YouTube.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »

Just to uncloudy the waters, I'm not being antagonistic towards Klay personally. All I'm doing is looking at the posted track listings and what I'm seeing is problematical, for the reasons I've already stated. I'm confident that whatever they turn out to be, they're not sanctioned by Capitol, or have anything to do with Boyd, so the question is... what's the origin ?  Given our communal deductive ability and our legendary tenaciousness, I'm sure the truth will emerge.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »

I so want to hear the track "Alan Boyd accidentally erases Good Vibrations vocals"!!! Cheesy

Whether Klay's klaym claim is legit or not, that joke alone was worth the thread!

So THAT'S what happened to the Good Vibrations vocal sessions tape!

So what do we hear on this particular track?  Dead air and/or Boyd swearing up and down that he erased the GV vocals?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »

This thread illustrates why this board is a shitty place these days.

This is why the 'honored guests' rarely post, and anyone coming on here with any real, cool info are chased away. Perhaps we should just be grateful for the information that has been shared (real or a hoax), and discuss what has been presented.

The CDRs and the original poster look pretty legit to me.  Besides, if it were a hoax, don't you think the point would be to watch everyone get uptight and beg to hear them?

Anyway, there are several indicators (to me) that's it's totally legit. I'd guess it was 2007-ish or 2011-12, unless somehow it's for a future idea ... seems doubtful since the 2012 reissues though.

Klay will not likely post on this page again, and I can't blame him. Looks like he registered back in 2011, and has made a few posts in the past.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:17:12 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »

Just bragging about it brings us really bad memories.

He should have known when he posted here he'd be asked to post.

This whole thing sounds like top quality BS.  Well, actually rather low quality BS.

Jeez. I would have thought there'd have been a bit more good cheer than that.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »

Donny, quit cryin'. What gets me the most is the ultra sensitive posters here. Get thicker skins, people! Geez, this board is no different now than it's always been. You wouldn't have lasted two shits on the Male Ego board.

Look, a little analogy and take it FWIW. Have any of you guys been "prick teased" before and you couldn't do anything about it except be a little pissed off about it afterwards? That's what this is. Somebody (legit or not) comes along with a bootleg, complete with track listings of a few tracks on it that supposedly haven't been heard before, even amongst hardcore collectors who possess every recorded fragment by the Beach Boys known to man. So the guy, with just a few posts to his name, posts this track listing of a CD he supposedly bought at a record store, then takes his ball and goes home without posting anymore details about the unreleased tracks. So what are we suppose to do? Kiss his butt so he comes back and posts more details on what he's heard on the CD or ridicule him for posting BS on the board concerning tracks that don't exist or ridicule him for having a legit CD but holding back and not posting details of the contents to piss us off further?

The legitimacy of this thing is in question when the poster (Klay) doesn't come back with more info. Yeah, he's not obligated to do this, but he's the one who put it out there on the board, then bailed. It's like holding candy out to a little kid, then pulling it away quickly without letting him have it. Take your pick - it's human nature to react like this, especially amongst rabid fans/collectors who have seen most of the titles before, and have always wanted to place the titles with the music. If it's legit, more than likely it'll show up sooner or later - probably on the good ol' Internet. If not, we'll say "I told you so" and move on. Look back on the post by "Petsite. See how very few tracks haven't been in circulation anyway? Just be thankful to those that have shared all that stuff on the list that's out there already. Not that big of a deal from what I can see. But if they are legit, somebody will come forward eventually and review/release them.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:58:50 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »

Donny, quit cryin'. What gets me the most is the ultra sensitive posters here. Get thicker skins, people! Geez, this board is no different now than it's always been. You wouldn't have lasted two shits on the Male Ego board.

Look, a little analogy and take it FWIW. Have any of you guys been "prick teased" before and you couldn't do anything about it except be a little pissed off about it afterwards? That's what this is. Somebody (legit or not) comes along with a bootleg, complete with track listings with a few tracks on it that supposedly haven't been heard before, even amongst hardcore collectors who possess every recorded fragment by the Beach Boys known to man. So the guy, with just a few posts to his name, posts this track listing of a CD he supposedly bought at a record store, then takes his ball and goes home without posting anymore details about the unreleased tracks. So what are we suppose to do? Kiss his butt so he comes back and posts more details on what he's heard on the CD or ridicule him for posting BS on the board concerning tracks that don't exist or ridicule him for having a legit CD but holding back and not posting details of the contents to piss us off further?

The legitimacy of this thing is in question when the poster (Klay) doesn't come back with more info. Yeah, he's not obligated to do this, but he's the one who put it on the board, then bailed, like holding candy out to a little kid, then pulling away quickly without letting him have it. Take your pick - it's human nature to react like this, especially amongst rabid fans/collectors who have seen most of the titles before, and have always wanted to place the titles with the music. If it's legit, more than likely it'll show up sooner or later - probably on the good ol' Internet. If not, we'll say "I told you so" and move on. Look back on the post by "Petsite. See how very few tracks haven't been in circulation anyway? Just be thankful to those that have shared all that stuff on the list that's out there already. Not that big of a deal from what I can see. But if they are legit, somebody will come forward eventually and review/release them.

It's not about ultra-sensitive posters. It's a rude a disrespectful place, even by online standards.

I'm not particularly sensitive, but still, I don't like the vibe here. So I don't really post too often and read less often than I used to. Cool, problem solved for me.

One sure way to keep informed, interesting discussion from occurring here is to keep going the way it's been going. Just look at the kinds of discussions that used to happen here, and the quality of the posters, compared to now.

There is one reason and one reason alone the guy 'took his ball home' -- that's because he was treated rudely and with a lack of respect. We'll be lucky if he comes back to post more info.

I can tell you for sure if I came across something like this, I would certainly not post here about it.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »

So if Clay never shows up again we've got the skepticals to blame for it. Oh boy.

I've seen rudeness here, sure, but in a scale from 0 to 10 I'd say we've only reached 2 or 3 in this thread.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »

Yeah, people really seem to be overreacting.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2014, 03:37:26 PM »

So if Clay never shows up again we've got the skepticals to blame for it. Oh boy.

Yeah pretty much it's one of the ugly truths of the internet.  I'll tell you a little story although I'll leave the band's name out of it.  Around ten years ago I was a member of a [insert band's name] forum that had a rather large, opinionated and quite frankly sometimes boisterous fanbase.  One day a stranger (cue "Once Upon A Time In The West") blows into town claiming to have in his possession a long coveted track that many others had heard about but never actually heard.  "You're a liar" cried out a voice from one corner of the forum.  "Judas!" cried another.  "What makes you so special that you get to hear this track and we don't?" cried many.

The stranger in an effort to prove the legitimacy of his claim responded by posting the lyrics the the aforementioned rare track to the forum.  Now two things should be noted at this point: First off in regards to the rare track, while nobody had actually heard the track, the lyrics to the track were known to several folks bound to know of such things.  Secondly of those aforementioned folks many of them had direct connections to the band and if I remembering correctly informed the stranger not to share any rare tracks publicly without the band's permission.

"Hey those are actually the lyrics to the rare track", "This guy must have actually heard the song" cried several members who had ventured near the upper crust of the surface where they gained strange and cryptic knowledge of such tales to tell.

In the end the stranger was actually telling the truth and did indeed have something precious and rare all along despite being derided by the masses.  The stranger while never himself shared the rare track with the masses, the lengthiness of such discussion on the forums did raise the attention of the band who  in order to quell the masses (and likely prevent the stranger from being lynched) played a version of the rare track at an upcoming concert which was subsequently bottle-legged prior to being released officially as b-side a short while later.

So happy endings for all.  As I sit back in my easy chair all these years later and reflect upon past events I do wonder though was any of the rudeness necessary?  Probably not but as I said it's one of the ugly truths of the internet.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:39:24 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2014, 03:43:56 PM »

Yeah, people really seem to be overreacting.
Are we? sh*t goes down in this place constantly. Arguments always breaking out and members getting pissed at each other. We are all on the same side here, yet we are always at each other over the smallest things. This should be the one place where we can come and not need to be thick skinned.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »

OK, I just want to let everyone here know that I have the original 22 minute "Helter Skelter" jam and "Carnival of Light" on CD. And also recordings of "September In The Rain" and "Baby Let's Play House" and extended versions of "It's All Too Much" and "Dig It."  Razz

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »

OK, I just want to let everyone here know that I have the original 22 minute "Helter Skelter" jam and "Carnival of Light" on CD. And also recordings of "September In The Rain" and "Baby Let's Play House" and extended versions of "It's All Too Much" and "Dig It."  Razz
You sharin'? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »

If this CD is legit it just proves the point that the beach boys are the gift that keeps on giving

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »

If this CD is legit it just proves the point that the beach boys are the gift that keeps on giving

No, that's herpes...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx