gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:53:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brother Re-Issues: Proposed Bonus Tracks  (Read 171468 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »

Considering they never bothered to either release nor properly market such a niche album reissue product, they cant exactly make comparisons. Hawthorne was a rarities package, not an established album with bonus tracks. Heck, if Sandman by Harry Nilsson can warrant such effort, so can Holland. IMHO of course.

Then again, a website where one could download such extras wouldn't be a bad idea...imagine a central location for all Beach Boys material. The mind boggles.
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 27, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »

I emailed CD trader and offered them $1000 for another one. Their response: "it was a random cd from somebody's random collection".
And yes, the $1000 was a serious offer. And yes, I have a problem!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »

Speaking of 'Hawthorne, CA' -- it seems curious that this group of tracks would have been prepared prior to the 2000 reissue program, yet nothing from here would wind up on this comp. Was the 'Brother Rarities' set still on the table in 2001 ?

Then again, this is the Beach Boys we're talking about. I just don't understand the preference for 'vocals only' and 'track only' mixes getting the nod over complete alternate versions.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:36:58 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Jason
« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2014, 04:13:22 PM »

Apparently the "Brother Rarities" set was just a name and not much of anything beyond that.
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »

I wonder if discs exist for the other Brother-era albums....
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »

I wonder if discs exist for the other Brother-era albums....

Maybe they were gonna do twofers for MIU/LA and Summer/BB85.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2014, 05:09:54 PM »

My 2 cents. This would support the fact that these were made in the 90's. Or maybe I'm way off base:

Back in the early 90's, it was not as easy as now to burn a CDR, and it cost much more money. At this time, there were mastering companies that did these CDR's. Later, it was easier for the record company to edit promo CDR's than original CD's.

When mastering to CD, the Recordable CD (CDR) is used in a similar way to acetates, with the sound being checked from a CDR. In the early days of the CD some record dealers and collectibles shops sold these CDRs for a very high prices and referred to then as "CD Acetates". The ease with which they are now forged has killed the market for rare CDRs and the term CD Acetate is no longer widely used. These CD's were called "CDR acetate" as they have the same use as the vinyl Acetate.

Just a thought. I believe this company, Quadim Mastering Studios, is no longer in business or has consolidated with another company.

It's much simpler than that.  Quadim was a probably a dub house.  Much as I did in my business producing promotional video for Fox and Disney, almost every producer has a dub house they use to archive (and dub from) masters of even their most insignificant projects.  Handwritten notes are often included with what you call "typeset" info.  Most likely, Quadim's job was to dub (including handwritten notes) the project and messenger to whomever the producer instructed them to.  This was probably sent to somebody for review/approval/whatever in the late 90's and that person sold it when he found it in his crap heap recently.

Quoting this article from a 1997 issue of Variety magazine:  

>>Gaetano (Guy) Costa, veteran recording engineer and nephew of Frank Sinatra arranger Don Costa, died Feb. 11 at his home in Westlake Village of pancreatic cancer. He was 54.

In the 1970s, Costa worked with Motown Records and the Gordy company as VP of operations and VP-managing director of the studios.

From 1987-88, he served as president of Society of Professional Audio Recording Services (SPARS), and in 1988 he founded Quadim, a real-time tape duplication and CD mastering company.

His final project was mastering Lionel Richie’s “Louder Than Words.”  <<

The space of :
Quadim Corporation
5356 Sterling Center Drive
Westlake Village, CA 91361
Tel: (818) 706-8843  ( No longer in service)

Has been occupied for the last twelve (12) years by :
ILIO ENTERTAINMENTS
5356 Sterling Center Dr, Westlake Village, CA - 91361 - 9136
(818) 707-7222

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:32:08 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2014, 05:15:28 PM »

Isn't it crazy that these discs might be from the late 90s and here we are after all these years, still awaiting the release of these goodies?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »

It's amazing they didn't get wiped by CD rot.  I've had that happen to a few CD's, both legit and boots.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »

Isn't it crazy that these discs might be from the late 90s and here we are after all these years, still awaiting the release of these goodies?

Not really. We've already gotten the cream of the crop of unreleased/alternate takes/instrumental tracks/vocals-only/stereo bonus cuts released on the Capitol 2-fers, 10 Years of Harmony set, Good Vibrations box, a couple of Greatest Hits comps, Endless Harmony CD, Hawthorne CD set, Made In California set, Pet Sounds box, and Smile Sessions set/box. I stop short of saying the rest of the stuff left is scrapping the barrel, but with exception to a few items (noted above) I think we've already heard the best of what's left in the vault.

There's a few 70's other things of course that have been booted that I'd like to see cleaned up for a formal release: Carry Me Home, I've Got a Friend, Big Sur 4/4, Rollin' Up To Heaven, Battle Hymn Of The Republic, Hard Times, etc. And while I'm at it, a 2-3 CD Live box set.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 07:42:19 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »

• Fairy Tale - A Casual Look Demo features Brian playing songs for Carl. After he runs through the FT theme (and an impression of Milt Love), Brian starts playing the Pied Piper riff, "Then it goes like this...That's Mike Love...that's the beginning of Mike Love comes on, in about 1956, 7, ya know? [He sings Doo-Wop bass line]...A Casual Look comes on the radio, about 1957. It's going like this..can you do this?" He asks Carl to play a counter melody on the piano. Brian continues to sing A Casual Look over the Pied Piper riff

I thinks its funny/cute/telling that Brian calls Mike "Mike Love". This dude has been his cousin his entire life but even this pretty private situation he calls him "Mike Love". Very Brian.

But yeah, anyways, it seems to me that maybe originally the "Fairy Tale" was gonna be a lot more than it ended up being. I think I remember hearing that Brian really wanted "Funky Pretty" and the fairy tale to be the core of the new Beach Boys album. Anybody remember if that has any validity? Anyways, it seems like maybe "A Casual Look" was actually part of the fairy tale and not just a random thing Brian started playing. Interesting.

Also, klay, if you know, how informal is this whole thing? Is Brian singing "on mic"? About how long is part with "A Casual Look"? I'd love to hear this at some point.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:07:16 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:02:53 PM by Klay » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2014, 09:26:16 PM »

There is no "original mix" of "4th of July": the song as released on the 1993 box set was pieced together from at least two different tapes, and it's long been known that Carl's lead was a scratch/work vocal. It wasn't finished back in 1971. Definitely something odd going on here.
Klay, can you describe the alt version of "4th of July"? Vocals other than Carl? How does the "original mix" differ from the released version?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »

[Love Is a Woman has a false start by Mike and a quiet snicker before he starts singing at the correct point.
Also has Al singing Brian's lead vocal parts.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2014, 11:14:06 PM »

Klay, apologises for being one of the doubters. I said that unless we hear details re the tracks than I'm going to assume it's a hoax and, well, here you are with details... Guess I need a little more faith in humanity!

Anyway, any chance you could blackmail the recording companies into releasing this stuff??  Evil
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2014, 11:22:39 PM »

A "Legacy Editon" 15 Big Ones with an additional disc of alternate (Ie: better) mixes, and outtakes, live tracks ala the Forever Changes Legacy set would be fab!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2014, 11:56:14 PM »

[Love Is a Woman has a false start by Mike and a quiet snicker before he starts singing at the correct point.

How do you think it stacks up against the released version?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2014, 11:58:34 PM »

Also, could we please get a description of the guitar intro on Johnny Carson?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2014, 01:20:53 AM »

You rock, Klay   Beer - enjoy your find and thanks for sharing your impressions of the tracks!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:50:40 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2014, 02:14:20 AM »

How much did you pay for this? Record store must be pissed if they now have people offering 1K

How clean is the "Carry me Home" mix in comparison to the boots? I presume we are talking first generation here if this is coming directly from Capitol?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:37:32 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2014, 02:36:18 AM »

A pro mix of Awake demo?  Sounds awesome, hope it is released!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2014, 03:08:59 AM »

Apparently the "Brother Rarities" set was just a name and not much of anything beyond that.

A track listing was proposed - double CD - before the 2fers, and would have included the Fairy Tale, making CATP/Holland[/b] a single CD. I was asked, doubtless along with several others, and said it should be where it belongs. Seemed I wasn't alone.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2014, 03:17:18 AM »

-How is the sound quality on Awake, compared to the bootleg version?

Sound quality is excellent. The double-tracked vocal and piano have been professionally mixed.

My version, and every one I've ever heard, since the early 80s, has a triple tracked vocal. Maybe they mixed one out.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2014, 05:07:32 AM »

A track listing was proposed - double CD - before the 2fers, and would have included the Fairy Tale, making CATP/Holland[/b] a single CD. I was asked, doubtless along with several others, and said it should be where it belongs. Seemed I wasn't alone.

Bow Thanks be to L'AGD, and the several others, for providing such advice to the suits on high - I've always thought it a total deal that CATP/Holland got a 2 CD outing.

Except for the tedious sh*t Klay copped early in the piece, this has turned out to be a pretty fascinating thread, with interesting insight into the Capitol machine and what can happen between concept to shop shelf - especially for this post 60's gear, which nearly didn't get the green light - imagine that  Shocked

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2014, 08:18:28 AM »

How do you think it stacks up against the released version?

It can't possibly be any worse.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx