gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:15:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brother Re-Issues: Proposed Bonus Tracks  (Read 171486 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2014, 02:39:16 AM »

I so want to hear the track "Alan Boyd accidentally erases Good Vibrations vocals"!!! Cheesy

I only heard it the once, about a decade ago: as I recall it's about four and a half minutes long and consists of one long - maybe ninety seconds - banshee wail of "SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!" followed by a short silence then maybe three minutes of a strange thumping noise, which I've been told was a head repeatedly hitting a desk. Personally, I'd leave it in the vault.

"Please Hurt My Older Brother!"'s image says the track is timed 3:42 - so you either misremember it as being 4 1/2 minutes long or it's been edited down. If so, I hope they release the unedited version. Cheesy

And dear Mr. Boyd, thank you very much for your contributions to our BB enjoyment! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2014, 02:44:41 AM »

Looks to me like they edited out the silence, for continuity. I can dig that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2014, 07:27:20 AM »

Next, the jewel case inserts themselves exactly resemble those of the TDK CD-R brand, which were last made roughly 10 years ago, with each CD-R and insert sold individually in jewel cases.  One side said "Title" and had exactly 22 lines, as do yours (when shown fully, which I think only applies to your first scan or photo) and the other side was in full color with no lines or space for writing.  

Aha !  Knew I'd read this in the thread somewhere. The discs themselves would seem to be at least ten years old (and to forestall the obvious question/objection, anyone here got any 10-year-old unused CDRs ? Thought not). So, maybe my mad musing isn't that mad after all. As Holmes once observed, once you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth.
I do. Still believe you're right, though.

Carry on.

The oldest unused CD-Rs I have are from 2006. Embarrassed

I have a tower of 100 right now. As a matter of fact, I'm burning a Dennis Wilson comp today. It's for a friend who I want to hear Dennis' music - with my tracklist and sequencing of course. police
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »

What if it's a professionally pressed silver CD set made in Asia? Do people really think this is a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket that just happened to turn up in a record store that sells other bootlegs? Could be, but maybe not. I'd like to hear from the buyer at the record store and the person who put it out on the floor. They'd have to think it was either junk or pure gold. I wonder what it sold for.

I emailed them directly to see if they had any other copies available and this is all I got in response:  "Sorry that was a rare one...."

Also, it would be nice if Klay would at least answer his PM's.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2014, 04:44:46 PM »

What if it's a professionally pressed silver CD set made in Asia? Do people really think this is a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket that just happened to turn up in a record store that sells other bootlegs? Could be, but maybe not. I'd like to hear from the buyer at the record store and the person who put it out on the floor. They'd have to think it was either junk or pure gold. I wonder what it sold for.

I emailed them directly to see if they had any other copies available and this is all I got in response:  "Sorry that was a rare one...."

They could get a visit from BRI or their legal pals if they admitted to it, so not surprising.
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »

Unlike the WOTS reference cd sold on EBay last year (the one with (WIBNT)LA) that was sold by the former Capitol exec,  I highly doubt that the "insider" that owned this first was the person that sold it to that store.  Having said that, I believe that another mere mortal has a copy of these songs aside from Klay and probably has had them for sometime.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »

Next, the jewel case inserts themselves exactly resemble those of the TDK CD-R brand, which were last made roughly 10 years ago, with each CD-R and insert sold individually in jewel cases.  One side said "Title" and had exactly 22 lines, as do yours (when shown fully, which I think only applies to your first scan or photo) and the other side was in full color with no lines or space for writing.  

Aha !  Knew I'd read this in the thread somewhere. The discs themselves would seem to be at least ten years old (and to forestall the obvious question/objection, anyone here got any 10-year-old unused CDRs ? Thought not). So, maybe my mad musing isn't that mad after all. As Holmes once observed, once you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth.
I do. Still believe you're right, though.

Carry on.
Believe it, or no, I do, as well.  Razz  Left-overs from printing up a CD my band had put together.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2014, 06:13:29 PM »

They could get a visit from BRI or their legal pals if they admitted to it, so not surprising.

They deal in boots on a regular basis.  I doubt they are suddenly nervous about it.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2014, 07:16:47 PM »

They deal in boots on a regular basis.  I doubt they are suddenly nervous about it.

If they kept a master copy and only put one or a few copies on the floor, and they are a source, then they may be nervous about that particular boot.  It's not like yet another Smile boot or a live recording boot. I'm not sure why they would put out something that valuable if it's one of a kind, if they didn't make a copy for themselves first. They can't be that unsophisticated if they sell other boots. If they truly didn't know what they had, they would think it was just some hand lettered piece of garbage. They had to have listened to the contents of it first and known that it was something of value to Beach Boys collectors, and not let the one copy get away without making a back-up.  Therefore, I would think BRI and the record labels involved could possibly want to know where it came from and if there are others, and might want to warn them never to sell it again.
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 27, 2014, 03:57:01 AM »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:04:10 PM by Klay » Logged
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2014, 06:10:22 AM »

Thank you so much for this wonderful information Klay!!!
Some questions:
-How do you rate Hawaii Song as a piece of music? Would you say it should have been released back in the day?
-How do the When Girls Get Together mixes differ from what was released on KTSA?
-Is Sea Cruise any different to the released version on Ten Years Of Harmony?
-Is Marilyn Rovell a studio version, or the piano demo?
-Do you get the impression that most of the Love You mixes presented are the early versions as Brian left them behind for Carl to finish and remix?
-What's the Trader like? It seems so short. Does that work? Is it just a different mix or a demo?
-Can you tell us more about Happy Birthday Brian?
-How is the sound quality on Awake, compared to the bootleg version?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:11:37 AM by Yorick » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2014, 07:01:15 AM »

Ahhh!

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2014, 08:22:03 AM »

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:39:48 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2014, 08:27:09 AM »

A search on the internet learns that Quadim Mastering Studios probably no longer exist. The url does no longer work, there is no social media for the studio etc. The cds are probably not very new!
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »

A search on the internet learns that Quadim Mastering Studios probably no longer exist. The url does no longer work, there is no social media for the studio etc. The cds are probably not very new!

Plus they had an AOL email address.  Indeed...probably very old.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »

My 2 cents. This would support the fact that these were made in the 90's. Or maybe I'm way off base:

Back in the 90's, it was not as easy as now to burn a CDR, and it cost much more money. At this time, there were mastering companies that did these CDR's. Later, it was easier for the record company to edit promo CDR's than original CD's.

When mastering to CD, the Recordable CD (CDR) is used in a similar way to acetates, with the sound being checked from a CDR. In the early days of the CD some record dealers and collectibles shops sold these CDRs for a very high prices and referred to then as "CD Acetates". The ease with which they are now forged has killed the market for rare CDRs and the term CD Acetate is no longer widely used. These CD's were called "CDR acetate" as they have the same use as the vinyl Acetate.

Just a thought. I believe this company, Quadim Mastering Studios, is no longer in business or has consolidated with another company.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:53:37 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »

Klay, Thanks so much for posting photos and more info.  Seeing as how the U-cards and CD labels are typeset and you say the track lists appear to be print-outs, coupled with the Quadim CD Mastering Replication notation, this would appear to be a Capitol in-house production made for consideration during the preparation of the 2000 Brother two-fer reissues.  The Quadim CD Mastering Replication would seem to indicate that these are factory pressed CDs, rather than CD-R's.  And, all this info taken together indicates that more than just a few copies were pressed.

As far as the handwritten printing on the TDK late nineties thru early 2000's CD-R inserts is concerned, it would appear that whomever did the handwritten notations simply grabbed a few of those blanks to use, although it does seem a little odd that they didn't bother to typeset that info when Quadim replicated the CDs.

Congratulations on a really cool find!  Looking forward to more info as you have time to post.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2014, 12:30:51 PM »

My 2 cents. This would support the fact that these were made in the 90's. Or maybe I'm way off base:

Back in the early 90's, it was not as easy as now to burn a CDR, and it cost much more money. At this time, there were mastering companies that did these CDR's. Later, it was easier for the record company to edit promo CDR's than original CD's.

When mastering to CD, the Recordable CD (CDR) is used in a similar way to acetates, with the sound being checked from a CDR. In the early days of the CD some record dealers and collectibles shops sold these CDRs for a very high prices and referred to then as "CD Acetates". The ease with which they are now forged has killed the market for rare CDRs and the term CD Acetate is no longer widely used. These CD's were called "CDR acetate" as they have the same use as the vinyl Acetate.

Just a thought. I believe this company, Quadim Mastering Studios, is no longer in business or has consolidated with another company.

It's much simpler than that.  Quadim was a probably a dub house.  Much as I did in my business producing promotional video for Fox and Disney, almost every producer has a dub house they use to archive (and dub from) masters of even their most insignificant projects.  Handwritten notes are often included with what you call "typeset" info.  Most likely, Quadim's job was to dub (including handwritten notes) the project and messenger to whomever the producer instructed them to.  This was probably sent to somebody for review/approval/whatever in the late 90's and that person sold it when he found it in his crap heap recently.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »

Job, when I worked for Symantec (Norton anti-virus/utilities) back in the 90's, my department generated two masters with the files on CD in-house then forwarded one to an outside contractor (or dub house if you will). That was normal procedure back in those days to have a separate dub/duplicating house for the recording industry and software companies. Agree with the rest of your post too. I think you're on the money about Quadim Mastering.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:54:47 PM by Mikie » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2014, 12:50:34 PM »

The thing I find curious about these being associated with the 2000 reissue program is the vinyl-only options. I feel like the vinyl resurgence didn't really start until later:

http://blog.dubspot.com/files/2012/11/music-sales-vinyl.png

Strategically, it seems like offering a vinyl-only track for each release points to something more recent, as labels are now getting more into vinyl due to lost sales from online streaming/pirating, etc.

Maybe these date from around 2007-8 or something. Just a guess. "Quadim" might have possibly been using older overstock inserts or something.

That said, everything else points to late '90s. If this is the case, they decided to go with the twofers instead.

Time for a Brother Rarities comp. I think the well has run dry for the '60s stuff, and I feel like the choices for MIC were kind of curious. The Beach Boys '70s stuff seems to have reached a new level of acclaim in recent years as well. I mean, these records are 40 years old now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:53:48 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 27, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »

Ahhh!
  Exactly my thoughts!  I really hope these tracks see the light of day soon!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: May 27, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »

Just to refresh memories, the 2000 Brother/Reprise reissue programs original configuration was going to be single CDs w/bonus tracks, not the 2fers we got.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:33:07 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 27, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »

...and that for some reason makes me feel shafted as a fan. When I look at the superb bonus cuts which would have supplemented the single albums, I find whoever decided AGAINST such a concept to be somewhat short sighted. Then again the BB world seems to be replete with dumb ass decision making which makes bunts instead of grand slams for the most part. Just my 2 cents and with an old motto of BBA as modified by AGD many moons ago "Without Fear or Favour, nor any great regards to accuracy either!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »

The decision was Capitol's... and the alternative to the 2fers was nothing.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »

...and that for some reason makes me feel shafted as a fan. When I look at the superb bonus cuts which would have supplemented the single albums, I find whoever decided AGAINST such a concept to be somewhat short sighted. Then again the BB world seems to be replete with dumb ass decision making which makes bunts instead of grand slams for the most part. Just my 2 cents and with an old motto of BBA as modified by AGD many moons ago "Without Fear or Favour, nor any great regards to accuracy either!"

The problem is this:  What we consider a grand slam doesn't sell as much as a 4,000th greatest hits package.  We are a niche market.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx