gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:17:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys played Toledo Sports Arena in 1965  (Read 8502 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2014, 03:01:34 AM »

There probably were at least a few Midwest farmers’ daughters in the crowd of more than 5,000 teenagers for the 8:15 p.m. concert at the Toledo Sports Arena. Armed with cameras and binoculars, the teens turned out on May 20, 1965, to hear the Beach Boys, one of the latest sensations from California.

Sylvania youth reporter, Linda Furney — who went on to become an Ohio state senator — interviewed the band members and reported on the concert for The Blade. Blade photographer Lee Merkle captured her during her interview with, from left, Al Jardine, Mike Love, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, and Bruce Johnston. Johnston was pinch-hitting for Brian Wilson, who was working on new recordings in California and didn’t make the trip.

The Beach Boys said they loved their work, but found traveling tiring and rigourous. Each of their tours meant two to three weeks on the road. Members of the band said they liked surfing, and enthusiastically embraced the lastest fad — skateboarding. Asked what they thought about the hysterical fans and their screaming, drummer Dennis, referred to as “the sexy one,” remarked he digs them. He also told Miss Furney that he loves the latest fad of long hair, although the others said they prefer a clean cut.

Sharing the stage that night with the Beach Boys were the Vandaliers and Hank Campbell.

Going full circle, the Beach Boys are slated to appear at Centennial Terrace in Sylvania Saturday as part of the band’s 50th anniversary celebration.

http://www.toledoblade.com/memories/2014/05/19/Monday-Memories-The-Kings-of-Surf.html

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 02:49:20 PM »

Funny that the article didn't spell Glen's name correctly....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:53:18 PM »

Very cool. Thank you!

Here's the picture:

There must be many unseen or at least not very well known pictures of the Beach Boys from that era.
IIRC this was posted in the pictures-thread but these are quite rare I guess. Also check out the descriptions; Dennis singing "Long tall texan"
http://thm-photos.smugmug.com/Music/BEACH-BOYS-1965/1383175_Nr96cc

Just go to goole and type in Beach Boys and whatever year you're looking for and you'll find some stuff.
For example:

WAKY's Tim Tyler with the Beach Boys at their first Louisville concert (July 1964)

August 26, 1965, the Beach Boys in concert: Mike Love, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, WAKY DJ George Williams, Al Jardine, WAKY DJ Tim Tyler, WAKY DJ Jim Brand, and Bruce Johnson.
The girls were the WAKY Dancers.

Source: http://www.79waky.com/photos2a.htm

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 02:09:32 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »

I'm guessing that this (horizontally flipped) photo was taken during their appearance on the "Age Tendre Et Tete Du Bois" TV show, 1964.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:31:01 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:41:29 PM »

Dennis sang Long Tall Texan?

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 06:46:22 PM »

It's possible, although it's the first I've read of it. Since it's a song associated with Mike, which he enjoyed singing, and as he was present at the concert, I think it more likely that Dennis sang "Do You Wanna Dance" or perhaps "The Wanderer."

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:19:37 AM »

It's possible, although it's the first I've read of it. Since it's a song associated with Mike, which he enjoyed singing, and as he was present at the concert, I think it more likely that Dennis sang "Do You Wanna Dance" or perhaps "The Wanderer."

That's more likely of course. I was just paraphrasing the author's comment.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »

That's more likely of course. I was just paraphrasing the author's comment.

yea that would make more sense, I can't even imagine him singing that  LOL

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx