gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681515 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 05:10:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody else find the Love to Say Dada sessions kinda sad and hard to listen to?  (Read 9668 times)
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:08:42 AM »

I've been on another all things Smile kick (boots, TSS, the lot), but the Dada sessions just seem kinda depressing. The end, it's all fizzling out, a flash in the pan.

In a weird way, you can kinda *hear* it on the tracks...just...not a lot of energy, not a lot of good vibrations.

Or maybe I should just go to bed Wink

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:24:55 AM »

You can even hear it on the Good Vibrations box set. The difference between Love To Say Dada and something like Heroes and Villains or Cabinessence is night and day.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »

I thought I read this song was worked on after Brian decided to scrap SMiLE.
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »

Hold on!  Why would Brian Wilson scrap Smile for?   Afro  To me i love Smile and his other work

I had a fast Life
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 11:33:24 PM »

Hold on!  Why would Brian Wilson scrap Smile for?   Afro  To me i love Smile and his other work

Mate, I've always, always stuck up for you in the past.... but, seriously, don't be so bloody daft.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 06:56:41 AM »

I thought I read this song was worked on after Brian decided to scrap SMiLE.

I think the announcement that SMiLE was cancelled came after the sessions but they could've been over before I guess.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 07:37:36 AM »

Interesting take on this. I actually don't find them depressing for a few reasons. First, the genesis of that riff was, I believe, in January 1967 - Now that time period in particular can be discussed a lot because I'm coming around to think the direction of Smile changed dramatically in December 1966...a lot of the "go for it" experimental attitude and energy/drive/determination seems to have fizzled out after a number of internal conflicts that shook the proceedings. Yet, as 1967 kicked off, some of Brian's really bizarre and unique experiments in the studio started happening around the Heroes fragments and section recordings. Some truly bizarre yet beautiful recordings came from that (Sweeping Strings, anyone? The typewriters, gongs, sirens, and everything else around the 'intro' title? )

"All Day" was a riff he was trying out, but experimenting with taping the piano strings combined with tape echo...all that cool stuff to make a new sound based on the Dada riff.

But I'll concede, there is something *different* about the Spring '67 takes of the song.

The reason why I don't find it depressing above all others is what eventually became of it decades later. I'll get confessional here...when I first heard "In Blue Hawaii" as a really crappy quality streaming audio preview, or something, I had tears running down my face, it was so beautiful and it finally felt like the potential hiding beneath all of Brian's studio sessions around All Day/Dada had finally been realized, and in ways I never imagined I'd hear from all the bootlegs, all of the variants like "Air Dada" and whatever else was floating around before BWPS.

It was one of the highlights of BWPS, a triumph of finishing what was bursting at the seams with potential for 40+ years, waiting for the final piece to be fit into place...

And I always liked the groove and the feel he had on that song going back to the '93 box set and whatever boots and mp3's it showed up on. Brian's piano playing on that track stood out to me because of the feel he had in the part.

But 2004...That was triumphant. So I can't hear the darker elements in light of what it eventually became.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 08:41:45 AM »

Mate, I've always, always stuck up for you in the past.... but, seriously, don't be so bloody daft.

What my rude friend meant to say is that Brian was having some issues in completing the album, and figured it would be easier to take a break from making it.
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »

Smile never died, it just became the Catholic church.
topsyandpip56
Smiley Smile Newbie

Cool cool water keeps on coolin' me.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »

They certainly sound like Brian's lost some drive. He sounds a lot less dynamic.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »

In my humble opinion, as an early listener coming into the Beach Boys fandom with only greatest hits known of their music and I had only heard GV and Heroes and Villains (Smiley Smile version) from those greatest hits, so I obviously didn't know anything about Smile. So after my first viewing of the BB: An American family, I found out so much about the Beach Boys that I never knew, and was intrigued about this "Pet Sounds" and "SMiLE"...so with only one song to go on from the TV movie (not including GV), the "Geronimo Leaps and Bounds over the Glory of the Dustbowl" tune, I wanted to hear more, something exactly like it. Little did I know that these scenes were exaggerated and weren't exactly what happened.
But anyways, after the buying of the GV box set a year later, I heard Love to Say Dada and could totally hear parts of "Geronimo"....this was Smile to me! It sounded like those wild and crazy songs I'd read about for a couple of years.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:28:25 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »

Deleted
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:32:28 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »

When I hear it, I'm amazed at how cheerful Brian sounds in the between-take chatter.  What happened to cause him to scrap the final session?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 12:33:58 AM »

If you're talking about the overly cheerful voice calling the takes out on the talkback mic, that's not Brian.  According to c-man's sessionography in the SMiLE book Brian was playing temple blocks the 1st day's session and piano on the 2nd day.  I don't think it's ever been confirmed who that guy calling the takes out is.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 03:54:43 AM »

If you're talking about the overly cheerful voice calling the takes out on the talkback mic, that's not Brian.  According to c-man's sessionography in the SMiLE book Brian was playing temple blocks the 1st day's session and piano on the 2nd day.  I don't think it's ever been confirmed who that guy calling the takes out is.

It's Gold Star engineer James (Jimmy) Hilton.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 11:45:44 AM »

I thought it was a stoned Brian. Is that also Brian singing "wah, wah, hoo wah"?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 11:55:29 AM »

Wasn't 1967 one of Brian's most prolific years? It seems to me he was anything but depressed. More than he ever was, I mean.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »

Wasn't 1967 one of Brian's most prolific years? It seems to me he was anything but depressed. More than he ever was, I mean.

He looks quite down in the pictures from the Lei'd In Hawaii rehearsals.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 09:01:13 PM »

I thought it was a stoned Brian. Is that also Brian singing "wah, wah, hoo wah"?

Brian and Hal Blaine, from what I could gather. Hal is heard singing a bit on the basic tracking session.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 09:09:28 AM »

Isn't there a picture of Brian seeming to have a blast on a motorbike from that trip?

Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »

Fun fact, you can "have a blast" and still be morbidly depressed.

The expression somebody is wearing at any given moment doesn't really reflect the overall mood of somebody with a mental illness.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »

Fun fact, you can "have a blast" and still be morbidly depressed.

The expression somebody is wearing at any given moment doesn't really reflect the overall mood of somebody with a mental illness.

Exactly my point, photos don't tell us much.

Being very productive with fun recordings and going out on the road again when you don't usually probably tells us all we need to know about how not depressed Brian was in 1967.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:09:17 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 06:30:32 PM »

WTF...sounds just like Brian's speaking voice to the point where it not being him is kind of scary. And it being Blaine on the 'Waa waa ho waa' part blows my mind.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »

That would include the "duh doobly doo" part, right?

I've always been curious about this part.
The voice never sounded like any of the Beach Boys to me, so it's interesting to figure out that it's actually Hal.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 10:33:22 AM »

Isn't there a picture of Brian seeming to have a blast on a motorbike from that trip?

From what I saw of the home movie in the American Band doc, Brian doesn't look happy on the motorcycle. He does look happy doing a somersault in the grass, though.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx