gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:35:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Beach Boys Play Tour - Jeff replaces Christian Love  (Read 127963 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 22, 2014, 02:31:06 AM »

So, did Mike invite just David and Al, or Brian too?
If so, did Brian decline?
Hmmmmmmm.

If an invitation was issued - and remember, it was for the Regan 100th show - I doubt Brian declined.

I think he is meaning the Jones Beach Show, not the Reagan bash. David wasn't at that.
Nicko1234
« Reply #326 on: May 22, 2014, 04:31:54 AM »

Hmmmmmmm.

If an invitation was issued - and remember, it was for the Regan 100th show - I doubt Brian declined.

I think he is meaning the Jones Beach Show, not the Reagan bash. David wasn't at that.

AGD is aware of that.

What he meant was that Brian WAS invited to the Reagan thing so it`s not outside the bounds of possibility that he would have been invited to the Jones Beach Show.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 22, 2014, 04:54:22 AM »

Hmmmmmmm.

AGD is aware of that.

What he meant was that Brian WAS invited to the Reagan thing so it`s not outside the bounds of possibility that he would have been invited to the Jones Beach Show.

More likely Brian already had the UK date booked and wasn't exactly about to cancel that. FWIW, it looks like they're not opening the upper deck of the JB show, bringing the total capacity probably down somewhere between 9K - 11K. It didn't quite sell out in 2012, but I'd put that down to the ticket prices and the fact that it was like their 5th or 6th show in the NY/NJ/CT area at that point.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: May 22, 2014, 06:45:44 AM »

While any non-appearance (and non-offer to join in if that is what happened; my guess is Mike did probably throw an offer out there technically) from Brian would be largely due to the political/interpersonal machinations that have been involved with Brian and Mike (and their “camps”) for years, I do also believe that there is another reason that could be involved in Brian not appearing at gigs like this (Jones Beach, the Ella awards).

Once *all* of the core surviving members (meaning the five from C50, no offense to Blondie, etc.) are there, it is a much different situation than even three or four of them (especially when the variable in question is Brian). It then garners much more publicity (and attention and pressure from media, critics, etc.), and it also in some small ways in terms of specific PR/marketing, etc. tends to slightly “devalue” the novelty of a reunion. So, if there is *any* chance at all that the reunited group will do something together in the future (a TV special, a few gigs, a small tour, another big tour, whatever), it is indeed better for marketing purposes to not have them all on stage in the interim, especially if the idea would be for sporadic shows with all five of them in that interim. A 2015 or 2016 reunion will have more novelty if there weren’t random gigs here or there where all five of them were already on stage together. It wouldn’t be a huge deal (how many who bought tickets to C50 knew Brian had literally never been on a “Beach Boys” concert stage since 1996 or so, and hadn’t toured consistently since the early 80’s? Many, but certainly probably not all), but enough of a big deal to perhaps be another small factor for the non-appearance of Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 22, 2014, 07:05:27 AM »

While any non-appearance (and non-offer to join in if that is what happened; my guess is Mike did probably throw an offer out there technically) from Brian would be largely due to the political/interpersonal machinations that have been involved with Brian and Mike (and their “camps”) for years, I do also believe that there is another reason that could be involved in Brian not appearing at gigs like this (Jones Beach, the Ella awards).

Once *all* of the core surviving members (meaning the five from C50, no offense to Blondie, etc.) are there, it is a much different situation than even three or four of them (especially when the variable in question is Brian). It then garners much more publicity (and attention and pressure from media, critics, etc.), and it also in some small ways in terms of specific PR/marketing, etc. tends to slightly “devalue” the novelty of a reunion. So, if there is *any* chance at all that the reunited group will do something together in the future (a TV special, a few gigs, a small tour, another big tour, whatever), it is indeed better for marketing purposes to not have them all on stage in the interim, especially if the idea would be for sporadic shows with all five of them in that interim. A 2015 or 2016 reunion will have more novelty if there weren’t random gigs here or there where all five of them were already on stage together. It wouldn’t be a huge deal (how many who bought tickets to C50 knew Brian had literally never been on a “Beach Boys” concert stage since 1996 or so, and hadn’t toured consistently since the early 80’s? Many, but certainly probably not all), but enough of a big deal to perhaps be another small factor for the non-appearance of Brian.

Sounds like the Mike Love theory to me.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 22, 2014, 07:58:01 AM »

Why must BW appear at the invitation and whims of Mike Love? Mike is not the BBs leader and main founder of the group.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 22, 2014, 08:36:28 AM »

Why must BW appear at the invitation and whims of Mike Love? Mike is not the BBs leader and main founder of the group.
He surely is the leader for the touring Beach Boys. The main founder, if there is one, died in 1983, so can't ask him. Plus, if recall correctly wasn't the surfing song idea from Dennis given to both Brian & Mike? You know, I don't think Brian puts himself on a higher horse than some of us fans do. It's frightening how we think about this band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 22, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »

I gotcha, I am just frustrated with BW vs. the BBs talk here recently.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 22, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »

When is there not BW vs. the BB talk?  It's always been that way. Also, in this topic itself, there is the issue of Jeff leaving Brian for Mike's Beach Boys.  As well as Al and David playing one gig with Mike after hooking up with Brian for a tour.  Things have changed a little bit after the infighting right after C50.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 22, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »

Agree completely, except to say that having the 5 principals perform together now would have a huge effect in devaluing the future marketability of, for example, a 2016 Pet Sounds reunion.  If such a reunion is in the long term plans, either as a one time event (with CD and DVD) or an actual tour, being able to say in 2016, "And now, for the first time since their celebrated 50th anniversary reunion in 2012, The Beach Boys are reuniting once again to mark the 50th anniversary of their acclaimed album Pet Sounds."  To the public the message is, "Hey, these guys rarely get together, so you better go and see them now, while you still can!"

But really, what I'd like to see now is the 5 principals getting together to turn BW's forthcoming album into a Beach Boys album, with a corresponding tour.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:25:43 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 22, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »

Never ignore the possibility that in their 70's one of the members might not make it to 2016, or is in poor health and unable to perform.  If they have a project in mind, they ought to work on it while they're healthy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »

If a PS50 doesn't happen I think Mike has the '50 Years Of Good Vibrations Tour' title as back-up. LOL
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 22, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »

Never ignore the possibility that in their 70's one of the members might not make it to 2016, or is in poor health and unable to perform.  If they have a project in mind, they ought to work on it while they're healthy.

Totally agree.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »

Well, this years beach boy tour is being called 50 years of FFF.  Next year 50 years of madness???, and the year after 50 years of PS?  Then, in 17, Beach Boys Love You long time tour?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2014, 02:55:55 PM »

Well, this years beach boy tour is being called 50 years of FFF.  Next year 50 years of madness???, and the year after 50 years of PS?  Then, in 17, Beach Boys Love You long time tour?

Next year is a biggie. 50 Years of California Girls. I don't know if Mike Love can resist.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »

Better California Girls than 50 Years of Bruce. Grin
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »

LOL  LOL  LOL
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »

Better California Girls than 50 Years of Bruce. Grin
LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »

I want a Bruce songs set. LOL

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 22, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »

TIME TO CLOSE THIS THREAD? We will need a new clean place to monitor the evolving and shifting bb line up. I am predicting more shows with "abb": "all but Brian," though I hope he relents and rejoins the band he founded.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 22, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »

I WANT ALL SHOWS TO BE OPENED WITH PIPELINE!!!!!!!!!!!

STRAP THAT BASS ON BRUCE BY FORCE IF NECESSARY
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »

I WANT ALL SHOWS TO BE OPENED WITH PIPELINE!!!!!!!!!!!

STRAP THAT BASS ON BRUCE BY FORCE IF NECESSARY

LOL
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2014, 04:02:31 AM »

Six years from now, there could be a 20/20 tour.

Think about it.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2014, 06:47:47 AM »

Live from the other side, the "50 years of Summer in Paradise" 2042's hottest hologram concert spectacular.

3D

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: May 23, 2014, 06:59:58 AM »

While that of course is a possibility, Charles Aznavour celebrated his 90th birthday with a big concert this week...  Shocked So you never know.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx