gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:40:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Beach Boys Play Tour - Jeff replaces Christian Love  (Read 127968 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: May 20, 2014, 07:21:04 AM »

It’s also a bit ironic that Al now plays with some former members of Mike’s band that were with Mike when Al was more estranged from Mike, guys like Phil Bardowell and Chris Farmer.

Maybe you're aware of this, but Al was still in the BBs touring band when Chris and Phil joined up, so he had worked with them when Carl was still there.

Yes, I believe Farmer (and Bonhomme) joined in 1996. I wasn’t sure if Bardowell joined in 1997 or 98. The first I had seen of Bardowell was those 1998 shows without Al, so I wasn’t sure on his timeline. It never seemed like Carl or Al connected with guys like Bonhomme or Farmer the way they had with Ed Carter or Billy Hinsche or Mike Meros, which timeline-wise is understandable.

But I suppose the idea I was describing was simply that in the acrimony of the splintering of the group in 1998, these were guys that were unwittingly emblematic of Mike’s “Beach Boys.”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: May 20, 2014, 07:22:48 AM »

Minor point: Mike did introduce Darian by name at Wembley when the latter sang "Darlin'".

Good to know. My question about whether Mike had named any other guys in the band was not meant as rhetorical, I was definitely interested in whether he had. Obviously, it doesn’t matter much, but it’s an interesting tiny insight into the interpersonal dynamic of that band. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 20, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »

To me it's still strange to try and take Mike & Bruce seriously when the band doesn't have any of "the" band members.

Foskett helps I suppose but Ed Carter.........we miss you Eddie!

I always felt like I was watching the Beach Boys when I would see Al with his band.  That seemed more legit than Mike's.

That said, I wonder if we'll see more changes with Mike's lineup?

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »

It's possible that Al and David decided to break away from Brian when he insulted them by not inviting them on the few dates he's doing this summer. I'm not sure why they were excluded unless Brian truly had no plans to use them on the fall tour, either.  If he did, it seems like an oversight that he and his people couldn't be bothered to get them visas and pay them for the summer shows. I don't think it's a coincidence the show they're doing with Mike coincides with the time Brian will be doing shows without them on the other side of the globe.

Poor fellas! They must have felt like they had been fired... Roll Eyes

Zing!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »

Wait and see if they're on Brian's fall tour.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 20, 2014, 08:49:18 AM »

Hi all,

Does that mean Mike and Christian are figthing? 
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 20, 2014, 09:33:27 AM »

Hi all,

I wouldn't think so, but it would be funny to start seeing the father-son lawsuits fly!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »

Mike and Al are just complete opposite personalities, it's amazing they ever once got along.

They were both into Transcendental Meditation.

Didn't Al even go to Transcendental school? Oh, wait, that was just dental school.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 20, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »

Mike and Al are just complete opposite personalities, it's amazing they ever once got along.

Didn't Al even go to Transcendental school? Oh, wait, that was just dental school.
Not bad. Not bad at all.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 20, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »

I went cold turkey on this message board back in October, but I thought I'd log on today to complain about $80 Mike and Bruce tickets. And pow! Some fascinating news. I only read the first page of this thread, so I apologize if this has already been hashed out, but is there any way to know which shows Alan and Dave will be at? I would definitely shell out the $80 if all four are there (even though I still think that's pricey)

Anyway, very cool about Foskett. I just wish Alan and Dave were there as permanent members as well. Ah well, I guess that ship sailed a long, long time ago.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 20, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »

It's possible that Al and David decided to break away from Brian when he insulted them by not inviting them on the few dates he's doing this summer. I'm not sure why they were excluded unless Brian truly had no plans to use them on the fall tour, either.  If he did, it seems like an oversight that he and his people couldn't be bothered to get them visas and pay them for the summer shows. I don't think it's a coincidence the show they're doing with Mike coincides with the time Brian will be doing shows without them on the other side of the globe.

Poor fellas! They must have felt like they had been fired... Roll Eyes

Good one.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 20, 2014, 10:50:43 AM »

I doubt it. I heard (don't remember where or when) a while back that Christian saw this as a temp gig and had been wanting to go back to making his own music. He wasn't on tour with the M&B show last October, so I wasn't surprised that he left.

is there any way to know which shows Alan and Dave will be at?

The July 5th Jones Beach show -- that's the only one announced.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 20, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »

is there any way to know which shows Alan and Dave will be at?

The July 5th Jones Beach show -- that's the only one announced.

[/quote]

Thanks man. Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: May 20, 2014, 09:03:53 PM »

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Actually - he DID go to TM school, and so did Mike...in Majorca, Spain, right after the '72 European tour. There they were certified as TM instructors themselves.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »

Minor point: Mike did introduce Darian by name at Wembley when the latter sang "Darlin'".

Sounds like Jeff to me.

http://youtu.be/w385_gbEvl8
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2014, 11:26:25 PM »

Sounds like Jeff to me.

http://youtu.be/w385_gbEvl8

No, BEFORE they played it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOzkXEjoZX0

Please delete my account
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2014, 01:27:18 AM »

Gotcha. My bad!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »

Yes, I believe Farmer (and Bonhomme) joined in 1996. I wasn’t sure if Bardowell joined in 1997 or 98. The first I had seen of Bardowell was those 1998 shows without Al, so I wasn’t sure on his timeline.

I saw the BB with Bardowell (+Farmer, Bonhomme, Meros, Carter, M.Jardine, Cannata) in April 1997.

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »

So, did Mike invite just David and Al, or Brian too?
If so, did Brian decline?
Hmmmmmmm.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »

In all fairness, to fly to New York in the middle of summer when the humidity is high, for one concert, is a trek.  I hope an invitation was extended to BW, but could understand why he would decline.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 21, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »

I'm sure Brian would decline no matter what, but then, I'm pretty sure Mike didn't invite. Or if he did, the invitation fell into phone tag hell.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: May 21, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »

Yes, I believe Farmer (and Bonhomme) joined in 1996. I wasn’t sure if Bardowell joined in 1997 or 98. The first I had seen of Bardowell was those 1998 shows without Al, so I wasn’t sure on his timeline.

I saw the BB with Bardowell (+Farmer, Bonhomme, Meros, Carter, M.Jardine, Cannata) in April 1997.

You sure about Carter being there? Farmer replaced him, and Bonhomme replaced Billy, both in '96. Did you mean Kowalski? What people seem to forget is, the band was exactly the same right after Carl passed away, except for the absence of Al and Richie, and soon Matt. Matt was replaced on falsetto by a returning Adrian Baker. So at that point, you had Dave and Adrian, both of whom had played in the band extensively with Carl previously (and Dave being a founding member, of course, boosted the credibility manifold), plus Kowalski and Meros who went way back, and Farmer, Bonhomme and Bardowell, the new guys on the block, but they still went back two years with Carl in the case of the first two and one year with Carl in the case of the third. If Carl had lived, it's doubtful the band would've been any different in terms of the backup guys, except for the Adrian replacing Matt thing. Politically and corporate-wise, it was a new arrangement, but musically speaking, it was pretty much a continuation, with the obvious and glaring exceptions of Carl and Al.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 21, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »

Clip saying from late 97.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAq_b24unjg
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: May 21, 2014, 11:02:15 PM »

So, did Mike invite just David and Al, or Brian too?
If so, did Brian decline?
Hmmmmmmm.

If an invitation was issued - and remember, it was for the Regan 100th show - I doubt Brian declined.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 21, 2014, 11:31:52 PM »

You sure about Carter being there? Farmer replaced him, and Bonhomme replaced Billy, both in '96. Did you mean Kowalski? What people seem to forget is, the band was exactly the same right after Carl passed away, except for the absence of Al and Richie, and soon Matt. Matt was replaced on falsetto by a returning Adrian Baker. So at that point, you had Dave and Adrian, both of whom had played in the band extensively with Carl previously (and Dave being a founding member, of course, boosted the credibility manifold), plus Kowalski and Meros who went way back, and Farmer, Bonhomme and Bardowell, the new guys on the block, but they still went back two years with Carl in the case of the first two and one year with Carl in the case of the third. If Carl had lived, it's doubtful the band would've been any different in terms of the backup guys, except for the Adrian replacing Matt thing. Politically and corporate-wise, it was a new arrangement, but musically speaking, it was pretty much a continuation, with the obvious and glaring exceptions of Carl and Al.

Umh.. you may be right.  I know Farmer was there but somehow I have memories of him playing guitar.. which doesn't make much sense.  I have photos of the gig somewhere, I'll try to dig them out and confirm.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx