gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:23:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Beach Boys Play Tour - Jeff replaces Christian Love  (Read 128023 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »

I'm really curious where Al lands in this game of musical chairs.    will Al be the odd man out again?
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »

I'm really curious where Al lands in this game of musical chairs.    will Al be the odd man out again?

I think most likely we'll see David and Al joining Brian, Matt and the rest of the band. Maybe a bit of Blondie to boot.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »

I think most likely we'll see David and Al joining Brian, Matt and the rest of the band. Maybe a bit of Blondie to boot.

I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if that happens.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2014, 04:27:34 PM »

They should just name themselves Beach Boys Family and Friends. Cheesy
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2014, 04:38:22 PM »

Still feels like weird, can't help but feel bad for brian in all this

Don't be.

"Yesterday, I found out that Jeff has decided to tour with Mike Love's bb.  I think it's great since he really loved touring with Mike and the boys back in the day.  He made it clear at the end of the JB tour he would be moving on. I wish him the best and I'm happy for him.

As for me, I'm busy in the studio working on my new album. A couple months ago I asked Matt Jardine to tour with my band and he accepted. He's a great guy and I love his voice.  He's busy working with Paul and Darian and eager to get started.  All good!!

- Brian"

Don't really care what Brian's people think

I believe he cares a little more than what that statement could ever say

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »

It may be a fine point, but I’d like to clarify (and, yes, defend Mike in a sense) in that he didn’t refer to Foskett as Brian’s “caregiver”, but rather:

“I am most grateful to Jeff for having taken such wonderful care of my cousin Brian for so many years…”

It would, to me, be potentially a bit more pejorative towards Brian to refer to someone around him as a “caregiver”, as opposed to “taking care” of Brian, sort of like telling your son-in-law to make sure he takes good care of your daughter, as opposed to acting as a “caregiver” as if it’s a live-in nurse situation or something.

No, he described him as Brian`s `caregiver`. `He`s been Brian`s caregiver and supporter and provider for 16 years`. Taken from Mike`s thank you speech.

Obviously Jeff didn`t take it in a perjorative sense.  Smiley
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »

They should just name themselves Beach Boys Family and Friends. Cheesy

I'm thinking Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2014, 05:53:51 PM »

I suspect that the answers may be very simple. What if Jeff decided to make a change, was available, Christian Love also decided to make a change and Jeff was hired. If Jeff had called Brian to make him aware that he was joining M&B's group, well, I think it would sound a bit... I don't know the word in English... unnecessary, as if he had unresolved  issues with his former employer. And all these months no one told Brian in fear that it would make him sad in the middle of recording sessions that are already taking way too long.

So, it's not that unthinkable that:

1. Jeff left BW's organization with Brian's blessing, before he was invited to join M&B
2. Brian didn't know he would be joining M&B till now.

I think that must be what happened also.

Maybe Jeff is tired of singing falsetto or it is getting to be a chore or something. How old is he?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 16, 2014, 05:57:08 PM »

Will Jeff get the Carl leads that Christian took? He may enjoy that. I find Jeff's natural voice pleasant, if not remarkable.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »

I suspect that the answers may be very simple. What if Jeff decided to make a change, was available, Christian Love also decided to make a change and Jeff was hired. If Jeff had called Brian to make him aware that he was joining M&B's group, well, I think it would sound a bit... I don't know the word in English... unnecessary, as if he had unresolved  issues with his former employer. And all these months no one told Brian in fear that it would make him sad in the middle of recording sessions that are already taking way too long.

So, it's not that unthinkable that:

1. Jeff left BW's organization with Brian's blessing, before he was invited to join M&B
2. Brian didn't know he would be joining M&B till now.

I think that must be what happened also.

Maybe Jeff is tired of singing falsetto or it is getting to be a chore or something. How old is he?

Pushing 60.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »

I think it will be tough to find someone to cover Brian's muffed vocals in concert, a job JF did fairly well.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2014, 07:47:41 PM »

I think Brian used Jeff as a safety net, and from listening to many live audience recordings over the years (and especially more recently), often times Jeff would go sharp and throw Brian off. I never really liked how their voices blended. During the C50 tour, Jeff was used more on his own rather than doubling Brian, and both sounded much better for it.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Post not approved by the FDA.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2014, 08:13:26 PM »

Will Jeff get the Carl leads that Christian took? He may enjoy that.

I hope so. Jeff's done a good job on Carl's leads in the past.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »

So now the Beach Boys core members are:

Mike Love - skin flute, tambourine, lead and backing vocals
Bruce Johnston - keyboard, bass, handclaps, microphone setup, lead and backing vocals
Jeff Foskett – guitar, mandolin, percussion, lead and backing vocals
Scott Totten – lead guitar, lead and backing vocals, musical director
Randell Kirsch – bass, lead and backing vocals
Tim Bonhomme – keyboards, piano
John Cowsill – drums, bongos, vocals

You forgot John Stamos……  Evil

I thought about it (briefly) then realized he isn't a core member.  Stamos makes guest appearances that make ladies happy and guys cringe.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2014, 08:44:12 PM »

Statement earlier in the thread:

"I didn't think Christian Love was even into the music that much, albeit based entirely on his underwhelming body language on stage, and, while having a pleasant voice, not really blowing you away."

Can’t say I disagree here. The words “bland” and “unemotional” come to mind. Very little to no stage presence. Good luck to him - seems like a nice kid. Dad took good care of him.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2014, 09:24:06 PM »

I'll be absolutely astonished.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »

Still feels like weird, can't help but feel bad for brian in all this

Don't be.

"Yesterday, I found out that Jeff has decided to tour with Mike Love's bb.  I think it's great since he really loved touring with Mike and the boys back in the day.  He made it clear at the end of the JB tour he would be moving on. I wish him the best and I'm happy for him.

As for me, I'm busy in the studio working on my new album. A couple months ago I asked Matt Jardine to tour with my band and he accepted. He's a great guy and I love his voice.  He's busy working with Paul and Darian and eager to get started.  All good!!

- Brian"

Don't really care what Brian's people think

I believe he cares a little more than what that statement could ever say

Do you know Brian personally?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2014, 11:03:02 PM »

Musically, I really like Matt better than Jeff. And it seems like Brian will be fine, he's a grown man and he's lived through more than most people have...he's tougher than he seems.

For Mike and Bruce, it's a really nice improvement to what was already a good band. Jeff is an unofficial Beach Boy anyway, like Zak Starkey is an unofficial member of The Who.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2014, 12:07:28 AM »

Wasn't Jeff the musical director for Brian's band? I looked at some interviews and that did seem to be his title, at least at some point.  I also found a quote from Al Jardine during the reunion tour about all the roles that Jeff filled for Brian and that it would be "difficult" for Brian to tour without Jeff being there. So, it will be interesting to see how Brian and his band handles it and how the performances proceed without Jeff. Were there any dates that Jeff missed on Brian's tours? I know other guys did miss dates or tours. I also suppose Brian has capable people to handle musical director duties on tour. I don't think it's a matter of skills as much as having the patience to do the little and big things that Jeff did in that role, such as organizing rehearsals.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2014, 12:28:16 AM »

Musically, I really like Matt better than Jeff. And it seems like Brian will be fine, he's a grown man and he's lived through more than most people have...he's tougher than he seems.

For Mike and Bruce, it's a really nice improvement to what was already a good band. Jeff is an unofficial Beach Boy anyway, like Zak Starkey is an unofficial member of The Who.

I agree in preferring Matt. As to those who'd be astonished to see Al, David, Blondie and Matt out on tour with Brian, based on Howie's artucle a while back, good chance we will see that in support of new Brian's album. Al is just doing one gig with Mike and Bruce, but still recording with Brian. All this means is that the vibe is good again  in the Beach Boy family. And I rather like that!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2014, 01:50:38 AM »

I think for Mike`s band the main thing is that maybe they will have someone who looks a little more interested on stage. I doubt that Jeff`s introduction will improve the sound of the band and I actually find him a slightly annoying presence on stage. I don`t think that Jeff being involved adds any more authenticity to the line up than previously.

I like Matt more as a singer than Jeff but it will be interesting to see how well he (and the other members) cover for Brian on stage now as Brian has the tendency to half sing lines and the like.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2014, 02:11:28 AM »

Wasn't Jeff the musical director for Brian's band? I looked at some interviews and that did seem to be his title, at least at some point.  I also found a quote from Al Jardine during the reunion tour about all the roles that Jeff filled for Brian and that it would be "difficult" for Brian to tour without Jeff being there. So, it will be interesting to see how Brian and his band handles it and how the performances proceed without Jeff. Were there any dates that Jeff missed on Brian's tours? I know other guys did miss dates or tours. I also suppose Brian has capable people to handle musical director duties on tour. I don't think it's a matter of skills as much as having the patience to do the little and big things that Jeff did in that role, such as organizing rehearsals.

Paul Mertens is and has been Brian's musical director for quite some time now, at least since the 2012 Beach Boys tour (where he shared the title with Scott Totten).  But yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a performance clip of Brian in the past decade in which Jeff isn't present.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:12:45 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2014, 03:24:55 AM »

If they made an album without BW it would be a very shitty one.

That album was called 'Summer In Paradise'.

With or without Brian, they couldn't ever do a worse album. Especially if Jeff and Dave were involved.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2014, 04:17:55 AM »

I agree in preferring Matt. As to those who'd be astonished to see Al, David, Blondie and Matt out on tour with Brian, based on Howie's artucle a while back, good chance we will see that in support of new Brian's album. Al is just doing one gig with Mike and Bruce, but still recording with Brian. All this means is that the vibe is good again  in the Beach Boy family. And I rather like that!

I don't really understand why it's that far fetched quite frankly. Post C50, which Brian wanted to continue, Brian has done two separate tours with David and Al while also recording a new album with their involvement (to some extent). He also hired on Matt, who also plays a major part in Al's band and Surf City All-Stars. I know there's a lot of other stuff at work in these decisions, but wouldn't all of that logically (a silly word in BB universe) point towards Al and David joining Brian back out on tour again? And that doesn't even touch on the emotional component of having Al, David and Matt (who I imagine is like a nephew to some extent) on-stage with him...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2014, 04:50:07 AM »

I don't really understand why it's that far fetched quite frankly. Post C50, which Brian wanted to continue, Brian has done two separate tours with David and Al while also recording a new album with their involvement (to some extent). He also hired on Matt, who also plays a major part in Al's band and Surf City All-Stars. I know there's a lot of other stuff at work in these decisions, but wouldn't all of that logically (a silly word in BB universe) point towards Al and David joining Brian back out on tour again? And that doesn't even touch on the emotional component of having Al, David and Matt (who I imagine is like a nephew to some extent) on-stage with him...

I agree, ToneBender631, especially how it pertains to Al Jardine. It probably won't be agreed upon here or discussed much on this board, but I think the Jeff Foskett move to The Beach Boys had to be a blow to Al's hope of regaining his place in the Beach Boys' touring band. I'll be honest, if you told me that Christian Love was going to resign from The Beach Boys, my first thought would be, "OK, now is the perfect time for Al to get back into the group..." I mean, they served the identical roles!   

Al appeared to get along with Mike and Bruce during the 50th Anniversary reunion. Al played the 70+ shows and wanted more, he wanted to continue touring. And most importantly, Al was a big enough man to respect and honor Mike by attending the recent Ella Awards Ceremony. Call me naive, but I thought Al had "done enough" to convince Mike that maybe they could co-exist again in The Beach Boys.

Now that another opportunity for Al to rejoin The Beach Boys has passed, I would imagine that Al is just trying to latch onto something/someone, and I don't say that disparagingly. I mean, the guy just wants to work! Al can sing a few lead vocals, relax Brian, sell a couple of tickets. A couple. So, yeah, I can see him touring with Brian. It would be sad if he didn't. It would kind of look like Al's being left out in the cold...again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx