gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:37:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Beach Boys Play Tour - Jeff replaces Christian Love  (Read 127979 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2014, 09:16:53 AM »

Now, I wonder who will become Brian's right hand man when they head out on the road.

Mystery Man Shane.....Sitting on Brians right!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »

Haha maybe Jeff just wanted to tour more. Not everything is an interpersonal meltdown. Have you never switched jobs before, even though you liked the people you were working with already, just to do something different (or more lucrative)? These are professional musicians. They do this to make a living, not just to follow their muses.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:20:47 AM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »

I'm happy to hear Jeff is now with the touring BB. Who better to replace Christian than someone who has been associated with The Beach Boys for decades. Here's to hoping Al and David will make many more appearances with Mike, Bruce and Jeff in the future.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2014, 09:26:06 AM »

What's next? Bobby Figueroa and Carli Munoz being brought back too?!?!?  Afro

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2014, 09:30:20 AM »

It`s interesting that only at the ELLA awards Mike thanked Jeff for being Brian`s `care giver` for the past 16 years. So this is certainly a curious turn of events.

Good point. I could see Jeff getting tired of being Brian's caregiver if he felt underappreciated and underpaid. Foskett was not just another supporting musician to Brian, and that had to be a stressful job.

It may be a fine point, but I’d like to clarify (and, yes, defend Mike in a sense) in that he didn’t refer to Foskett as Brian’s “caregiver”, but rather:

“I am most grateful to Jeff for having taken such wonderful care of my cousin Brian for so many years…”

It would, to me, be potentially a bit more pejorative towards Brian to refer to someone around him as a “caregiver”, as opposed to “taking care” of Brian, sort of like telling your son-in-law to make sure he takes good care of your daughter, as opposed to acting as a “caregiver” as if it’s a live-in nurse situation or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2014, 09:33:51 AM »

Jeff is about as close as they come to being an official Beach Boy without being one. I will miss Christian Love though, who had a great tone to his voice and always seemed humble on stage. I hope that Al and Dave do a fair amount of show with M&B&J in the future, preferably somewhere close by. I think Jeff being in the touring band makes that a greater possibility of happening more frequently.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »

I'm happy to hear Jeff is now with the touring BB. Who better to replace Christian than someone who has been associated with The Beach Boys for decades. Here's to hoping Al and David will make many more appearances with Mike, Bruce and Jeff in the future.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I hope Al is utilized by Brian *and* Mike as much as possible. But with Matt Jardine joining Brian’s band (which, as objective as I can be, excites me more than Jeff joining Mike’s band), I would definitely like to see Al and Dave continue with Brian’s band. They have a better shot in Brian’s band at having at least a few more leads, and while Mike’s setlist is more interesting now than it was five or ten years ago, Brian’s band is also more likely to potentially afford Al and Dave the chance to do some interesting songs.

Of course, only in Bizarro Beach Boys Land could we potentially have Matt Jardine in Brian’s band, but now not Al. Hopefully, though, with Al only slated for one Mike/Bruce show, and Al still recording with Brian, we have a good chance to see Al and Dave (and Matt) all in on a Brian tour.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »

What's next? Bobby Figueroa and Carli Munoz being brought back too?!?!?  Afro

LOL

I do get the sense that unlike Foskett, some of the other guys who have left Mike’s Beach Boys (pre and post-Carl and Al’s departure) have not done so particularly amicably. Back in the late 90’s, there was an interview online (perhaps on Foskett’s website) where Foskett discussed the slightly awkward circumstances (by his account) of why he left the touring BB’s in 1990. It sounded like one or two members in particular were the impetus. Not sure if that interview is still online.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »

Courtesy of the "Internet Wayback Machine", here is that late 90's interview with Foskett:

http://web.archive.org/web/19990221115314/http://www.new-surf.com/interv.html

The pertinent part about leaving in 1990:

AMP: One last Beach Boys question…why did you leave in 1990?

FOSKETT: I was asked to leave by Michael and Carl. I know that during the past several months there has been some discussion over the internet on my departure, and I will set the record straight now. I was having an affair outside my marriage that was causing a great deal of turmoil in the closely-knit BB organization. All the wives traveled on the road at one time or another, and seeing me with someone other than my wife made them suspicious of their husbands. Not a good scene. My ego was way out of control. I think Michael thought that I was holding back money from the side gigs that he and I did with the Endless Summer Beach Band, and so he was unhappy about that, and Carl was unhappy with my ego and my affair. They did the right thing by letting me go; right for them and definitely right for me. I needed to straighten up and get back into "the real world." I did, and my wife and I will soon be celebrating our 11th anniversary.

AMP: Jeff, I appreciate your honesty…

FOSKETT: John, there have been so many contrived stories regarding me using Platinum American Express cards and other false statements that I am happy to tell the truth. There are so many "authorities" on the internet that really know absolutely nothing!

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »

Love the wayback machine!

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
smyleysmyle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »

From Jeff Foskett's FB page about 20 minutes ago:

Jeffrey Foskett
17 minutes ago
Thank you for all of your kind words regarding my career change. I am very much looking forward to touring with The Beach Boys. It’s where I started my professional career and it feels like a “homecoming” for me. It’s going to be a blast performing with Michael, Bruce, Scott, Timmy, Randelle and Cowsey. I am very grateful to Brian for his years of friendship, music, support and teaching. We’re still great friends and I’m sure Matt will be a stellar addition to his band. As for me … No Drama, No Hard Feelings, No Weirdness … simply time for a change. I look forward to seeing you out on the road this year!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »

It's settled, then. Smiley Good luck to Foskett and Jardine Jr.!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »

wouldn't it be cool if this is happening because Brian is in the studio laying down tracks (like he did with Pet Sounds) while everyone else is touring getting  the beach boys name out there and when they get back they will all place their voices on the tracks, hence a new beach boys reunion album?? if so this album could be amazing!!!! think about it.. Brian has back pain decides to produce an album for the boys but tells them he won't tour right now, maybe if he feels better after the album is done,, remember he did this throughout the 60's so it's not like it's nothing new..and maybe he did know about Jeff but is simply being "secretive" about it by acting like he didn't know....just a thought...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:13:28 AM by joshferrell » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2014, 10:15:18 AM »

Maybe Jeff just wanted a change. People get tired of things and want to do something different.
Like.. playing the same old BBs catalogue in another band for a change?

Yeah. Different guys etc..

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »

From Jeff Foskett's FB page about 20 minutes ago:

Jeffrey Foskett
17 minutes ago
Thank you for all of your kind words regarding my career change. I am very much looking forward to touring with The Beach Boys. It’s where I started my professional career and it feels like a “homecoming” for me. It’s going to be a blast performing with Michael, Bruce, Scott, Timmy, Randelle and Cowsey. I am very grateful to Brian for his years of friendship, music, support and teaching. We’re still great friends and I’m sure Matt will be a stellar addition to his band. As for me … No Drama, No Hard Feelings, No Weirdness … simply time for a change. I look forward to seeing you out on the road this year!

I nailed it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »

Still feels like weird, can't help but feel bad for brian in all this

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »

Interesting that he decided to leave either during or right after the Jeff Beck tour.  I just find it interesting that there were some fans here who observed Jeff being a guiding hand to Brian off stage as well as on. Somebody is going to have to fill that role. "Caregiver" might be too strong a word, but isn't "taking care" of someone more than the average band member is required to do. Hence, Jeff Beck's reference to Brian needing extra help. Perhaps Foskett and Beck starting talking about Foskett's role, and Beck told him, "Wot, mate? You need to look out for yourself. They're not paying you enough for the extra time you spend helping out Brian." And thus was (re)born the alliance of Foskett and Love.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2014, 10:28:17 AM »

Well that's how I imagine it:

Riiiing!
Jeff: Hello?
Mike: Hey Jeff, is Mike!
Jeff: Dr.Love! How are you?
Mike: all good, all good! Listen, my son Christian is leaving the band soon. Jackie and I were wondering if you were interested on taking his place?
Jeff: Oh wow, I'd be honored.  But you know, I'm with Brian and.. I'm not sure it would be the right thing to do..
Mike: We tour 200 days per year. It would pay xxxxx$ per year.
Jeff: emh.. let me call Melinda and discuss it ok?
Mike: Ok. I'm going to the beach with my babe now.  Good vibes to you

Riiiing!
Melinda: Hello?
Jeff: Hi Melinda, it's Jeff!
Melinda: Hey Jeffy! Always good to hear from you!
Jeff: Listen.. Mike offered me a permanent place in his touring band.  It pays well. How would you feel if I took the job?
Melinda: well Jeffrey, it's your choice
Jeff: I could still play those few gigs with Brian in the fall, I can ask Mike to replace me
Jeff: Thank you for understanding Melinda! No hard feelings then?
Melida: It's just business Jeffrey
Jeff: Will you tell Brian?
Melinda: Yes. Goodbye Jeffrey, farewell

Melinda: umh.. I need to remember to tell this to Bri..  hey look a new dog! I forgot we bought this one too

Hey, how did you get hold of a copy of the "Love And Mercy" screenplay?!?

You left out this bit though:

Brian: Hi Mike, this is Brian. How are ya? Say, wanna trade drummers, too?
Mike: Hmmm... well, our drummer is much better than yours, I'd give him away only if your percussionist comes with him.

I never got the sense that Mike Love really warmed to anyone in Brian's band other than Foskett, who of course he had recruited and had already worked with. Did Mike ever even literally speak the name of any other band members? He would always introduce Foskett or Totten during their vocal turns, but when Darian sang "Darlin'", it sounded like Foskett always named Darian afterwards, not Mike.

He probably just was unable to pronounce "Sahanaja". Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »

Well that's how I imagine it:

Riiiing!
Jeff: Hello?
Mike: Hey Jeff, is Mike!
Jeff: Dr.Love! How are you?
Mike: all good, all good! Listen, my son Christian is leaving the band soon. Jackie and I were wondering if you were interested on taking his place?
Jeff: Oh wow, I'd be honored.  But you know, I'm with Brian and.. I'm not sure it would be the right thing to do..
Mike: We tour 200 days per year. It would pay xxxxx$ per year.
Jeff: emh.. let me call Melinda and discuss it ok?
Mike: Ok. I'm going to the beach with my babe now.  Good vibes to you

Riiiing!
Melinda: Hello?
Jeff: Hi Melinda, it's Jeff!
Melinda: Hey Jeffy! Always good to hear from you!
Jeff: Listen.. Mike offered me a permanent place in his touring band.  It pays well. How would you feel if I took the job?
Jeff: I could still play those few gigs with Brian in the fall, I can ask Mike to replace me
Jeff: Thank you for understanding Melinda! No hard feelings then?
Melida: It's just business Jeffrey
Jeff: Will you tell Brian?
Melinda: Yes. Goodbye Jeffrey, farewell

Melinda: umh.. I need to remember to tell this to Bri..  hey look a new dog! I forgot we bought this one too

And that's how Jeff got the job and Brian never got to hear about it.
Very simple.

wow  Grin
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »

FOSKETT: I was asked to leave by Michael and Carl. I know that during the past several months there has been some discussion over the internet on my departure, and I will set the record straight now. I was having an affair outside my marriage that was causing a great deal of turmoil in the closely-knit BB organization. All the wives traveled on the road at one time or another, and seeing me with someone other than my wife made them suspicious of their husbands. Not a good scene. My ego was way out of control. I think Michael thought that I was holding back money from the side gigs that he and I did with the Endless Summer Beach Band, and so he was unhappy about that, and Carl was unhappy with my ego and my affair. They did the right thing by letting me go; right for them and definitely right for me. I needed to straighten up and get back into "the real world." I did, and my wife and I will soon be celebrating our 11th anniversary.

Mike wants someone he can blame for the young chicks and tell his own wife: "No, that's Foskett's groupie." Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »

Brian has been touring for 15 years now -- we were amazed to see one.  The band has been essentially stable over that time with a few shifts and Foskett as one of the backbones.. They toured new music, Pet Sounds, *Smile*.  When I saw them do Pet Sounds (3rd time for me) with Beck I thought perhaps the sails  were losing a little wind.  Some nice gimmicks (esp Blondie) but it makes sense perhaps for people to begin to move on.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2014, 10:44:40 AM »

Still feels like weird, can't help but feel bad for brian in all this

Don't be.

"Yesterday, I found out that Jeff has decided to tour with Mike Love's bb.  I think it's great since he really loved touring with Mike and the boys back in the day.  He made it clear at the end of the JB tour he would be moving on. I wish him the best and I'm happy for him.

As for me, I'm busy in the studio working on my new album. A couple months ago I asked Matt Jardine to tour with my band and he accepted. He's a great guy and I love his voice.  He's busy working with Paul and Darian and eager to get started.  All good!!

- Brian"

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2014, 11:30:55 AM »

It's my understanding (and someone will correct me I'm sure if this is wrong) that Jeff was not particularly a fan of the "deep cuts" included in Brian's set list, he liked doing the "hits" just as he did back in the day with Mike Love.  So they are on the same page when it comes to choosing and performing live material.  I was not aware of why and how he left the Beach Boys - amazing honest answers to the question asked.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2014, 11:42:14 AM »

It's my understanding (and someone will correct me I'm sure if this is wrong) that Jeff was not particularly a fan of the "deep cuts" included in Brian's set list, he liked doing the "hits" just as he did back in the day with Mike Love.  So they are on the same page when it comes to choosing and performing live material.  I was not aware of why and how he left the Beach Boys - amazing honest answers to the question asked.

I've never had the sense Foskett doesn't like the deep cuts, but rather that he's maybe not as much of a nerd about super-deep cuts as someone like Darian. I've heard vague stories over the years that this was an area where Foskett didn't mix perfectly with some of the rest of the band, as he indeed started in the Mike Love school of knocking out the hits, and of course bands like Papa Doo Run Run don't exactly bust out "Smile" material either. So he was probably used to stuff like the old "tour band" arrangement of "Help Me Rhonda" instead of trying to replicate the original record.

Then there is the infamous perception (which may come from an actual comment or interview, I don't know) that Foskett isn't into the "Love You" album, which to some Brian fans signifies some sort of lack of understanding or appreciation of Brian's deep cuts.

Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure Foskett will be able to anchor Mike's band in his sleep.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:43:10 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »

So now the Beach Boys core members are:

Mike Love - skin flute, tambourine, lead and backing vocals
Bruce Johnston - keyboard, bass, handclaps, microphone setup, lead and backing vocals
Jeff Foskett – guitar, mandolin, percussion, lead and backing vocals
Scott Totten – lead guitar, lead and backing vocals, musical director
Randell Kirsch – bass, lead and backing vocals
Tim Bonhomme – keyboards, piano
John Cowsill – drums, bongos, vocals

You forgot John Stamos……  Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx