gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Beach Boys Play Tour - Jeff replaces Christian Love  (Read 127954 times)
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2014, 09:47:25 PM »

The silver lining here is that maybe we will finally hear "Brian Wilson presents Love You"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2014, 09:47:50 PM »

I think one of these threads the subject of 'retainers' came up. Didn't someone (AGD?) once say only one member of Brians band was on a retainer? Surely that would have been Jeff and perhaps that has come to an end.

Hey what ever happens I hope Brians health is ok. Who here would have expected so many solo albums and tours? Also if Jeff can continue making a living doing what he loves, who are we to knock him?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:49:02 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »

So now the Beach Boys core members are:

Mike Love - skin flute, tambourine, lead and backing vocals
Bruce Johnston - keyboard, bass, handclaps, microphone setup, lead and backing vocals
Jeff Foskett – guitar, mandolin, percussion, lead and backing vocals
Scott Totten – lead guitar, lead and backing vocals, musical director
Randell Kirsch – bass, lead and backing vocals
Tim Bonhomme – keyboards, piano
John Cowsill – drums, bongos, vocals

Three ex Papa Do Run Run members are reunited. These guys have been playing forever, way before playing in the Beach Boys. What can the CEO of Falsetto bring to the table? Jeff and Scott can both play lead and rhythm guitar, Jeff and Scott can both sing lead, background, and falsetto parts (so can Randell) and both Jeff and Scott can play the musical director's role. Thanks to Jeff and Scott, their respective bands have played lesser known songs in their sets - album cuts instead of just the hits. Then adding Al and Dave to the shows gives you a fuller sounding band:

Al Jardine - rhythm guitar, banjo, lead and backing vocals
Dave Marks - toes on the nose rhythm guitar, lead guitar, vocals  

Then you bring on Briaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Wilson and you have:

Brian Wilson - piano, keyboards, organ, synthesizer, bass, lead and backing vocals, songwriter, composer, producer, arranger, guy who wrote all the fuckin' songs. He doesn't need to do anything but sit there behind the piano and soak up the crowd's applause.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:32:10 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:00:28 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2014, 10:51:03 PM »

I missed that.

It's good to hear Brian's ok with it, I was genuinely feeling bad for him for a while.

All the best to jeff then, he'll make a great addition to the touring beac boys

Not that it necessarily matters, but I'm not sure of who's okay with what. Mike seemed "okay" with the 50th tour while it was happening, then afterwards we got a litany of reasons he had issues with it.

I don't think we'll ever hear Brian say much if anything negative about Foskett, but that may have little to do with how he (or his "team") actually feel about the situation with Foskett.

The whole org leaks like a sieve. We'll know everything eventually.

Not this time - everyone appears to have been blindsided, including Brian. I doubt Jeff woke up on Tuesday, thought "f*** this, I've had enough" and called Mike. This had to have happened at least a month ago, if only on logistical grounds. But yes, in time we'll know what happened from both sides.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2014, 11:22:31 PM »

So now the Beach Boys core members are:

Mike Love - skin flute, tambourine, lead and backing vocals
Bruce Johnston - keyboard, bass, handclaps, microphone setup, lead and backing vocals
Jeff Foskett – guitar, mandolin, percussion, lead and backing vocals
Scott Totten – lead guitar, lead and backing vocals, musical director
Randell Kirsch – bass, lead and backing vocals
Tim Bonhomme – keyboards, piano
John Cowsill – drums, bongos, vocals

Three ex Papa Do Run Run members are reunited. These guys have been playing forever, way before playing in the Beach Boys. What can the CEO of Falsetto bring to the table? Jeff and Scott can both play lead and rhythm guitar, Jeff and Scott can both sing lead, background, and falsetto parts (so can Randell) and both Jeff and Scott can play the musical director's role. Thanks to Jeff and Scott, their respective bands have played lesser known songs in their sets - album cuts instead of just the hits. Then adding Al and Dave to the shows gives you a fuller sounding band:

Al Jardine - rhythm guitar, banjo, lead and backing vocals
Dave Marks - toes on the nose rhythm guitar, lead guitar, vocals  

Then you bring on Briaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Wilson and you have:

Brian Wilson - piano, keyboards, organ, synthesizer, bass, lead and backing vocals, songwriter, composer, producer, arranger, guy who wrote all the fuckin' songs. He doesn't need to do anything but sit there behind the piano and soak up the crowd's applause.

The Stones wrote their own songs too and certainly don't just show up and soak in the applause .......

Just sayin'
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2014, 11:56:08 PM »

In some ways, this looks like an intervention. One of those events where family and friends gather around to tell someone they need to change. Maybe Brian does need to stop touring for his own good. Al and David were there for C50 and the Beck tour. They could have been seeing things they didn't like. Jeff, of course, would know better than anyone if Brian didn't seem up to touring anymore. It could be their way of giving Brian and his organization some tough love.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2014, 12:11:22 AM »

I can't see Jeff quitting Brian's outfit without Brian's complete and total understanding, agreement, and maybe even his own wishes ..... Or else something went down .....
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2014, 01:29:32 AM »

I think one of these threads the subject of 'retainers' came up. Didn't someone (AGD?) once say only one member of Brians band was on a retainer?

Can somebody explain "on a retainer" for a non-native English speaker, please? The dictionary doesn't explain it.

You forgot "crazy, silly jumps". Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2014, 01:45:42 AM »

I think one of these threads the subject of 'retainers' came up. Didn't someone (AGD?) once say only one member of Brians band was on a retainer?

Can somebody explain "on a retainer" for a non-native English speaker, please? The dictionary doesn't explain it.

In this case it's like a payment made just for the privilege of having a person's services available on call when needed. When they actually are called in to do the work, they get paid much more and it wouldn't mean they couldn't accept other work, but they'd have to drop everything when the person paying the retainer shouts.

“We live in divisive times.”
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2014, 01:49:49 AM »

I'd be surprised if it were more than just Jeff wanting a regular steady income, which Brian's camp perhaps could no longer guarantee.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2014, 02:18:39 AM »

Thank you very much, John! Smiley Even written in phrases that are easy to understand. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2014, 04:05:47 AM »

In some ways, this looks like an intervention. One of those events where family and friends gather around to tell someone they need to change. Maybe Brian does need to stop touring for his own good. Al and David were there for C50 and the Beck tour. They could have been seeing things they didn't like. Jeff, of course, would know better than anyone if Brian didn't seem up to touring anymore. It could be their way of giving Brian and his organization some tough love.

An intervention? That seems to be a bit of an overstatement for me. Al and David are only confirmed to be playing one show, which is the Jones Beach show. It's worth noting that the Jones Beach show is easily the largest venue on the tour. I'm guessing what most likely happened is that Mike and Bruce were offered JB by a promoter and then had to scramble to figure out how they could make the show as authentic as possible to sell 15k tickets. Having 4 out of 5 Beach Boys is a good way to do that. Ironically, the band were supposedly offered similar gigs post-50th (MSG for New Years, Wrigley Field, etc.) and Mike was the one who didn't want to do those (so we're lead to believe).

Now, as far as Brian's health, I think we all tend to extrapolate quite a bit so I'll do my own extrapolating. I saw BAD shows in 2013 - Atlantic City, Westbury and the Beacon. Atlantic City, although exciting as the first show of the tour, saw Brian looking a little less than good during the second set. By the Westbury and Beacon shows he seemed like a changed man; better than any show I've seen of him going back to TLOS tour. The show at the Beacon in particular was the best I've ever seen Brian. He was happy, engaged, singing fantastically and energetic. Things might've been different back stage, but how anyone could reasonably walk away from that performance at the Beacon with a negative impression of Brian's (relative) health is beyond me.

For all we know, the upcoming fall tour for BW may include Al, David and Blondie, which would render this all a bit moot, wouldn't it? I think Jeff has been a godsend for Brian, but there's no reason to believe that other members of his 15+ year band (Paul, Darian, Scott, etc.), let alone Melinda, Al and David don't provide what ever comfort and support BW needs to get on-stage. Perhaps Ray, if he's comfortable doing so, could speak further to that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:08:42 AM by ToneBender631 » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2014, 04:21:24 AM »

I'd be surprised if it were more than just Jeff wanting a regular steady income, which Brian's camp perhaps could no longer guarantee.

Until evidence emerges to the contrary, this seems a fair presumption.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2014, 04:39:57 AM »

I think Jeff has been a godsend for Brian, but there's no reason to believe that other members of his 15+ year band (Paul, Darian, Scott, etc.), let alone Melinda, Al and David don't provide what ever comfort and support BW needs to get on-stage.

Interesting.  When I think of Brian and Jeff together, I think of an older guy labouring to move, accompanied by his carer.  When I think of, say, Brian and Scotty, I think of two guys bursting with creative energy, one (sorta!) young and the other a young guy trapped in an older guys body.

That is purely the impression of someone on the other side of the world, looking in from the outside and forming an impression based on nothing but imagination, I stress.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2014, 04:58:53 AM »

Christian has a lot going on with his beach volleyball, his own band, and Cal Saga (if they are still working together) and has been  wonderful to watch as he grew in the job.  I will miss his singing very much.  His voice does echo that Wilson-Love quality (Carl, in my opinion) - and there is a lot of vocal voltage on that stage.  He has brought a sort of sublime quality to the Touring Band, with that yearning feel that Carl brought to the work.   I hope it isn't as permanent as it it made to sound, as he has done a great job. Career choices are often tough.  I will miss him, but wish him well in his other endeavors!

But Jeff Foskett doesn't need a road map, either, and worked with the band a long time. 

More falsetto!  A beautiful thing!  Wink
Nicko1234
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2014, 05:06:02 AM »

It`s interesting that only at the ELLA awards Mike thanked Jeff for being Brian`s `care giver` for the past 16 years. So this is certainly a curious turn of events.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2014, 05:11:34 AM »

Yeah, but theb Al was in the studio with Brian like 2 weeks ago. So he seems to be ok with Brian.

For me, there is a falling out between Brian or Brian's camp and Jeffrey. He has not been portrayed in any of the many pictures of recent sessions that have appeared. He is not recording guide vocals for Brian- Matt is. So this is not just a matter of wanting a regular job. Jeff is obviously no longer a part of Brian's entourage.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2014, 05:45:27 AM »

Is the solo project that Christian has moved on to the same one that Matt Jardine is working on?  A CalSaga album?

ref:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17575.0.html
and:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17520.0.html

(and now I half-expect a man in a hat to define "solo" for me, tho' in this case I'm taking it to mean a project not involving any famous dads!)   Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2014, 05:47:32 AM »

Yeah, but theb Al was in the studio with Brian like 2 weeks ago. So he seems to be ok with Brian.

For me, there is a falling out between Brian or Brian's camp and Jeffrey. He has not been portrayed in any of the many pictures of recent sessions that have appeared. He is not recording guide vocals for Brian- Matt is. So this is not just a matter of wanting a regular job. Jeff is obviously no longer a part of Brian's entourage.

This is how it's looking. But then three years ago it looked like the principal players in the main BBs band would never work together again.

Let's face it, we can never be sure what is and what is not until it's been was.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2014, 05:58:29 AM »

There's so many shocking and strange things about this press release that the Christian Love news is taking a back seat. Who woulda thunk it? Caught me totally off guard. I didn't think Christian Love was even into the music that much, albeit based entirely on his underwhelming body language on stage, and, while having a pleasant voice not really blowing you away. Nevertheless, good luck to Christian. Maybe Christian can show his dad how it's done, you know, releasing a solo album in today's music world.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2014, 06:24:39 AM »

Lets not forget Mr. Foskett is JUST a supporting musician......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2014, 06:28:49 AM »

Maybe Christian can show his dad how it's done, you know, releasing a solo album in today's music world.

Looking Back With Dad? Unleash The Kids?

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2014, 06:37:45 AM »

From Ray's comment, it doesn't sound like Brian has any ill will toward Jeff. It's possible it's nothing more than just a change in contractual agreement that makes it necessary for Jeff to work where work is available. If he was previously on retainer, and that changed, he may need to get out and work a little more. Less a falling out, and more a business decision.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2014, 06:42:31 AM »

While this is an interesting theory to briefly consider, I don’t think this could possibly be the case. More than anything, as I’ve often said about Brian’s touring, any legitimate concern over whether he should be touring could have just as easily been voiced in 1999. Other than being older and a bit more brittle and moving a bit slower, there is nothing drastically different about the question of whether Brian should be “out there.” If Foskett has made it through 15 years of all the weirdness associated with Brian and Brian touring, I can’t see what would have happened on that 2013 tour that would all of a sudden require an “intervention.” If an intervention is required in 2014, it was kind of required in 1999.

Additionally, Al Jardine has commented about the tour after it happened, and most tellingly, has appeared in the studio with Brian mere weeks ago apparently.

Another theory to chew on: Could Joe Thomas be the impetus in any way for Foskett leaving? There may not have been any huge blow-up or falling out, but even if Thomas doesn’t wield all the power in Brian’s projects, he may be asserting enough control on the proceedings (both in-studio and touring; if Thomas is indeed involved in the business side of Brian’s tours now, which I’m not sure) and simply voicing a preference that doesn’t include Foskett in the mix. Maybe it’s a scenario where, even though Foskett hasn’t always been at every Brian session, he has noticed less and less invites to the sessions, maybe also saw an indicator of less touring, maybe also some business-related indications that pay and/or number of shows might be lessened, and maybe then he fortuitously was offered a rare opening in Mike’s band, and weighed all the options and took the gig. So we may have a scenario where there wasn’t some huge falling out, but more of a case of slowly being marginalized to the point of seeing both creative and financial benefits to taking a new job offer.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx