gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:10:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Beach Boys Play Tour - Jeff replaces Christian Love  (Read 128040 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2014, 04:47:13 PM »

I missed that.

It's good to hear Brian's ok with it, I was genuinely feeling bad for him for a while.

All the best to jeff then, he'll make a great addition to the touring beac boys

Not that it necessarily matters, but I'm not sure of who's okay with what. Mike seemed "okay" with the 50th tour while it was happening, then afterwards we got a litany of reasons he had issues with it.

I don't think we'll ever hear Brian say much if anything negative about Foskett, but that may have little to do with how he (or his "team") actually feel about the situation with Foskett.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »

I keep seeing people post stuff like "Jeff Foskett is not on Brian's new album." Do we know that for sure? All I remember seeing (and admittedly I don't check this board every single day) is that Matt Jardine sang on a session or two because Jeff wasn't available. I don't recall ever seeing it stated categorically that Jeff hasn't been on any sessions whatsoever.

I also have to say it's pretty crazy watching all the raving speculation that occurs here during times like these.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »

All speculation as always, but I'm also curious about the theory that Foskett took the gig simply because it was steady work. It's interesting only because Brian has had downtime in past years where he did little touring.

One piece of evidence that weighs against the idea that this indicates a falling out with Brian is that, presumably, Foskett did not seek this out. It appears the only reason this position was offered is because Christian Love left (or is leaving) Mike's band, and they need to fill the spot. Foskett may have had a falling out, but if he did, then it may have been coincidence that soon after, he's offered a position with Mike? Is any of it connected?

I'm waiting for someone to posit the crazy conspiracy theory under which Mike wants to poach Foskett, so he fires Christian Love to make it happen.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »

I keep seeing people post stuff like "Jeff Foskett is not on Brian's new album." Do we know that for sure? All I remember seeing (and admittedly I don't check this board every single day) is that Matt Jardine sang on a session or two because Jeff wasn't available. I don't recall ever seeing it stated categorically that Jeff hasn't been on any sessions whatsoever.

I also have to say it's pretty crazy watching all the raving speculation that occurs here during times like these.

This is an important point. For all the facebook photos and whatnot, we have no idea who has or hasn't been to all or any of the sessions.

We do know that sessions last year included Jeff Foskett, because the first shots from early-mid 2013 in the studio with Al working on Brian's session also included Al next to Foskett.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »

I missed that.

It's good to hear Brian's ok with it, I was genuinely feeling bad for him for a while.

All the best to jeff then, he'll make a great addition to the touring beac boys

Not that it necessarily matters, but I'm not sure of who's okay with what. Mike seemed "okay" with the 50th tour while it was happening, then afterwards we got a litany of reasons he had issues with it.

I don't think we'll ever hear Brian say much if anything negative about Foskett, but that may have little to do with how he (or his "team") actually feel about the situation with Foskett.

The whole org leaks like a sieve. We'll know everything eventually.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2014, 04:59:15 PM »

Yes, but as pointed out, Jeff had been absent from the session for Brian's new album, as well. Union scale for sessions is pretty lucrative, so I can't see Jeff turning that down for a handful of gigs with Papa Doo Run Run. I do think there has been some type of personal falling out. Maybe something to do with the Beck tour? Al and David were on that tour, too.  Maybe no one was happy on it, in spite of some fans enjoying it. Or perhaps Jeff did something to fall out of favor with the Brian or his people. Who knows what. I was joking about them not wanting him to be at the Ella Awards, but maybe they really didn't want him at the Ella Awards. Or Jeff asked for more money and they didn't want to give it to him. Considering what he did for Brian, he should have been put on a financial retainer.

Setting aside totally subjective guessing about how any of those folks felt/feel about the tour last year (I feel a few somewhat negative comments from Beck are being overblown by some), we at the very least know that Al is not on the outs with Brian, as just weeks or a month or two ago Al was pictured working with Brian in the studio.

In lieu of either a reunion or Al getting off his ass and doing another album or solo tour, the next best thing to happen would be for both Brian and Mike to use Al's voice as much as they can in any form they can, touring or recording.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »

Most folk here seem to be missing the salient point: the article says Jeff is permanently joining Mike & Bruce. He's not playing with Brian any more.

I get the first part. I'm not sure the second follows.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »

Most folk here seem to be missing the salient point: the article says Jeff is permanently joining Mike & Bruce. He's not playing with Brian any more.

I get the first part. I'm not sure the second follows.

I could be wrong - and I'm sure Hey Jude will tell me I am Grin - but I thought that "permanently" was intentionally inserted for a reason, maybe two reasons. What are the two questions that immediately come to mind when reading the press release? 1) Will Christian Love rejoin the band after he completes his solo album and/or possible tour? And, 2) Does this mean that Jeff is no longer working with Brian Wilson? Maybe they were even trying to be kind and smooth over the transition from Brian's camp to Mike's camp.

Does this clearly spell out that Jeff is now a Beach Boy exclusively, for the long haul? I think it does. If it didn't, I don't think they would've used the term "permanent". They would've used "temporary replacement" for Christian Love.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:25:36 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »

This appears to bother some people, as though the only way they could accept this is the thought that Jeff may play with Brian again. I'm not sure why that is. It sounds like Brian's entire band has their C.V.'s polished up and may be seeking other employment. Maybe Brian will start touring with some configuration of hacks that Joe Thomas will find for him.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »

It appears the only reason this position was offered is because Christian Love left (or is leaving) Mike's band, and they need to fill the spot.

What if it were the other way around...?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »

Just to make things more interesting, this item came across the newsfeed today:

http://www.modbee.com/2014/05/14/3340405/brian-wilson-natalie-cole-among.html

BRIAN WILSON, NATALIE COLE AMONG ARTISTS SET FOR GALLO CENTER’S 2014-15 SEASON
By Pat Clark
pclark@modbee.com
May 14, 2014

The bar was raised this season at the Gallo Center for the Arts, thanks to a handful of high-profile artists crossing its biggest stage. John Legend, Itzhak Perlman, Rob Thomas and Jason Mraz helped not only lead the performing-arts center to its best-selling season since opening in 2007, said Chief Executive Officer Lynn Dickerson, but also to a higher cachet when attracting talent for the upcoming 2014-15 season.

It has to mean something, after all, when the most heralded former Beach Boy asks you to reconsider having him play your venue. That was the case with rock legend Brian Wilson, set for Oct. 9 at the center. Dickerson said she put in a backup offer for Wilson while nervously awaiting an answer from season-opening artist Natalie Cole, who kicks off the new slate of shows Sept. 20. When Cole’s booking finally came through, the offer on Wilson was voided.

“They (Wilson’s people) came back to me and said, ‘You know, he really was intrigued by your market and he really wants to play Modesto,’ ” Dickerson said, adding that she couldn’t pay the same money offered when he was being courted as a season-opening act. She went back with a lower price. “He took a long time to give me an answer on that, but he did eventually accept it.”

[rest of story snipped]

For a full season schedule, see www.galloarts.org.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:36:35 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2014, 06:44:18 PM »

I had the notion or suspicion that Mike was uncomfortable with the reunion in part because his son was unemployed at the time.  also, with the JF pipes,  will Randall remain in Mike's band?  Yeah, lots of speculation.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »

Randell and Jeff are friends from way, way back. Randell is playing bass with M&B these days.

As for Brian, I wonder if Matt Jardine will take over Jeff's vocal role for the handful of shows he has this year (so far).
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2014, 06:52:58 PM »

This appears to bother some people, as though the only way they could accept this is the thought that Jeff may play with Brian again. I'm not sure why that is. It sounds like Brian's entire band has their C.V.'s polished up and may be seeking other employment. Maybe Brian will start touring with some configuration of hacks that Joe Thomas will find for him.

Maybe Brian's new album is AC Country [S&S v.2] and he will be touring behind it with the Joe Thomas Mullet All Stars.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »

I will be in San Diego on the 5th of October

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2014, 07:05:56 PM »

Question: has Alan ever mentioned that he wants to tour steadily? Would he tour regularly with Mike and Bruce? Or would he rather perform on specifically-chosen dates? 

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2014, 07:17:48 PM »

things are gettin' all shook up! cool deal.

i'm excited to hear a Brian set without Jeff's rather dominant presence I must say. no offense to the guy
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2014, 07:27:01 PM »

Question: has Alan ever mentioned that he wants to tour steadily? Would he tour regularly with Mike and Bruce? Or would he rather perform on specifically-chosen dates? 

If I recall, via the Charlie Rose interview, Al wishes to see a bunch of guy's venturing into their mid 70's touring on a regular "every 4 years" basis!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »

I recall that the Professor anticipated some of this.......
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »

I recall that the Professor anticipated some of this.......

the Professor = Mike Love

Seriously, I'm glad you were right!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »

Is there a metaphor for what is happening?   Last roundup?  Circling the wagons?  riding into the sunset? blood Meridian? summer's Gone?  One more for the road?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2014, 08:08:54 PM »

Brian's band (including Jeff) have played with -- and toured with -- other people and groups for the entirety of his career as a touring artist. Some as permanent members of other ensembles. Probyn had a full-time job as a copy editor for many of those years. Darian missed multiple tours because of jobs with Disney and Heart.

This is why I asked my very simple question. Even with Jeff a full time member of Mike and Bruce's band, it doesn't necessarily figure that they he's not appearing with Brian. It probably does. But I was merely wondering if we know for sure. Because the word "permanently" in a press release really doesn't signify that to me.

As for the whole thing of Jeff being some sort of ultra-close friend to Brian ... That may have been true at one point. It hasn't been for a handful of years now, at least.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:51 PM »

Permanently, to me, means at least for this year, in which the BB are fully booked for the rest of the year. So, no chance Jeff will be on the fall Brian tour. Which is significant. Jeff is the one key player who was always there for Brian on vocals. There were times I noticed Brian did not sing when he was supposed to, the few times I attended concerts. Jeff would watch Brian closely and fill in the missing lead or backing vocal. It will be hard to find a replacement that tuned into Brian. Brian also looked to Jeff for cues, more than anyone else in his band.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2014, 08:32:27 PM »

DO the two dates that Brian has in the UK conflict with Mike and Bruce? Could Jeff play in BOTH bands this summer?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2014, 08:39:03 PM »

Both the July 5th and the Oct. 9th dates are in conflict.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx