gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:56:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think I've found the Beach Boys most cringeworthy TV appearance.  (Read 29397 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2014, 04:46:16 AM »

Most Beach Boy TV appearances are a little cringe-worthy.  They always seem awkward on camera.  The only one that has ever looked comfortable and natural was Carl.

Whenever the camera or interviewer went to Carl, I always feel a sigh of relief.  But as it pans back to Mike and Brian, I feel cringe coming  on.  Even Denny -- he could go on some tangent about how incredible the love is in the room or something.   LOL

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2014, 04:54:38 AM »

I thought Brian was fine during the Letterman interview.  Quite relaxed, naturally funny.  In the Dick Clark interview he was pretty similar to how he is now, a bit distant as if he's thinking of a million other things.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2014, 06:47:23 AM »

Pardon if this isredundant to what ha been posted, but the BW and Frankie Vallie Dick Clark special while not cringe worthy was much like watching a well trained, but terrified animal do tricks on stage .   We'll, I guess I did cringe.  like watching a middle aged, burnt out but rehabilitated Judi garland perform on a tv variety show in the 60 's.       Was landya curse or a blessing?

What is this? I've never heard of it. On YouTube?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »

Okay, since no one else has, I'll be the one to state the obvious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSAQX2uuUY
Like The Real BB, Erik H & Co., I think it was cool! Dig Mike's forthright attitude (though it'd be better if he said anything to Dylan as well).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2014, 11:47:29 PM »

I thought the Letterman appearance was good - Brian didn't have to dance on that one, just sat down at the piano and banged out "Nighttime".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2014, 01:44:16 PM »

I enjoyed Brian on Letterman.

The BBs most cringeworthy TV-related appearance = "Happy Endings" video clip.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »

Quite a few but off the top of my head. The 'Beach Boys Huddle' on Full House. Interview early 90s I guess when Brian waffles then asks for Landy to be brought out. Solid Gold from the early 80s with Dennis out of it and drumming so far back on stage he looked like a left over from the previous weeks show.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »

I am sorry. The most cringe worthy TV appearances? Good Morning America December 1980 and live at the Queen Mary, July 5, 1981. Hands down.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »

I am sorry. The most cringe worthy TV appearances? Good Morning America December 1980 and live at the Queen Mary, July 5, 1981. Hands down.

Yeah, these two get my votes as well. Their appearance on Merv Griffin in 1981 would take the third spot on my list

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »

I never understood why they covered Little Old Lady From Pasadena, and I never understood why that attrocious song became a hit in the first place. People really were square in the 60's, and Jan and Dean are probably the perpetrators of some of the biggest embarrasements to surf rock I have ever heard.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2014, 04:12:27 AM »

Performance wise, Queen Mary, hands down. They were flat out awful w/o Carl Wilson,.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2014, 05:47:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNtGEKNhlC4

From the Live 50th DVD (so not TV appearance) but check out Bruce at 7.00
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNtGEKNhlC4

From the Live 50th DVD (so not TV appearance) but check out Bruce at 7.00
That's anything but cringworthy - Bruce has the best moves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P2rNmox86Q#t=43

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2014, 11:00:59 PM »

This sh*t's pretty horrible, but as a child of the 80's there's absolutely nothing about this any worse than every single thing that was on t.v. at the time.  All of entertainment was like this. 

The top t.v. shows of 1987 were:

1. The Bill Cosby Show - Great show, I won't pretend like it wasn't great.  Above ridicule in my opinion.

2. Family Ties - Horrible

3. Cheers - Pretty good but corny acting worse than Carl's in the video

4. Murder, She Wrote

5. Night Court - John Laraquette & Harry Anderson.  Funny but pretty bad

6. Golden Girls - pretty horrible but I love it

7. 60 minutes

8. Growing Pains - horrible

9. Moonlighting - horrible

10. Who's the Boss? - possibly the worst thing ever on t.v.

------------------------------------------

Top selling music that year was:

1. Faith - George Michael - Horrible

2. Alone - Heart - Awesome

3. I wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney - Dated, cheesy... I love it though, gotta love her

4. Cest La Vie - Robbie Nevil

5. Shake You Down - Gregory Abott

6. La Bamba - los lobos

7. Livin on a Prayer - Bon Jovi

8. Here I Go Again - Whitesnake

9. Heaven is a place on earth - Belinda Carlisle

10. I've had the time of my life - Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes

So, yeah, the Beach Boys were pretty bad in that t.v. show but sh*t look at what else was going on that year.  Was it really any worse than Growing Pains?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2014, 11:33:01 PM »

This 1978 news clip is a pretty cringeworthy TV appearance. Carl isn't really in any better shape than Brian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSLclEJ0IAQ

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2014, 11:55:18 PM »

This sh*t's pretty horrible, but as a child of the 80's there's absolutely nothing about this any worse than every single thing that was on t.v. at the time.  All of entertainment was like this. 

The top t.v. shows of 1987 were:

1. The Bill Cosby Show - Great show, I won't pretend like it wasn't great.  Above ridicule in my opinion.

2. Family Ties - Horrible

3. Cheers - Pretty good but corny acting worse than Carl's in the video

4. Murder, She Wrote

5. Night Court - John Laraquette & Harry Anderson.  Funny but pretty bad

6. Golden Girls - pretty horrible but I love it

7. 60 minutes

8. Growing Pains - horrible

9. Moonlighting - horrible

10. Who's the Boss? - possibly the worst thing ever on t.v.

You mean you didn't love Alyssa Milano as Tony Danza's daughter?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2014, 12:02:45 AM »

I hate to get off-topic but I disagree with you about Cheers.  I'm 21 and I've watched the first few seasons on Netflix, it still holds up incredibly well, especially because and not in spite of the great cast.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »

Don't lump this guy into the worst-of 1987 list:

And don't forget there was a time in 1987 when you could watch the Monkees 5 nights a week in reruns on cable, and for a month or two "Daydream Believer" was actually the most-requested video on MTV's countdown show. Imagine that, pop music on MTV that not only had a heart and soul and sounded damn good, but was 20 years old at the time us kids were digging it. Then contrived nonsense and pure sh*t like NKOTB took over and any number of insipid, truly interchangeable hair-metal bands playing pointy guitars became "rock".

It actually all changed in 1986, for music at least. Television with very few exceptions in 86-87 was pretty bad, but mainstream music and especially top-40 radio mostly went to sh*t after 1985. Not that it was all good before that, far from it, but there was some kind of energy in top-40 radio that died out (for good) in 1986...at least in Philly.

When one of the most played top-40 records we'd hear was Bon Jovi, I think I trace that to when I switched to other radio formats and went searching. Fortunately there was also "Appetite For Destruction" soon after, too, but even that terrific band imploded too soon.

Ahh, the 80's. No, actually most anything after 1986 doesn't count as 80's nostalgia for those who enjoy such a thing.

So this "special" is a victim of its era. Maybe.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2014, 05:09:57 AM »

This 1978 news clip is a pretty cringeworthy TV appearance. Carl isn't really in any better shape than Brian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSLclEJ0IAQ

Yes, some of that is cringeworthy, no doubt. But, that's also one of the most fascinating few minutes of Brian on film. Something was bothering him; for a second he actually looks pissed off which he usually didn't show, but he hangs in there and continues along. That 1976-1981 period of Brian is so fascinating with so many unanswered questions as to what happened to him. At times he appeared so lucid and....interesting.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »

I hate to get off-topic but I disagree with you about Cheers.  I'm 21 and I've watched the first few seasons on Netflix, it still holds up incredibly well, especially because and not in spite of the great cast.

Cheers is one of the few things from the 80's that STILL holds up. And a large part of that was because of the cast.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2014, 08:37:11 AM »

I like Cheers, i'll take that one back. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »

I've been avoiding this thread for a while because I hate seeing embarrassing beach boys tv appearances, I've seen far too many.

Since I've been cognisant of this video, my life has been seriously worse off.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:40:02 PM by Aren't You Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2020, 06:40:16 PM »

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but does anyone have a copy of The Boys' appearance.  It was on Patricia's Ultimate Beach Boys Video Collection YouTube channel that was taken down years ago.  If anyone has a copy, it would be awesome.  Thanks!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx