gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:14:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think I've found the Beach Boys most cringeworthy TV appearance.  (Read 29393 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2014, 11:56:34 PM »

The Des O'Connor Show... Jeez.

I think that`s actually the least embarrassing one when you consider they were on Talking Telephone Numbers and The Shane Ritchie Experience!
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2014, 08:46:42 AM »

The way it started out was fine, but that $hitty singing made me wanna vomit.
Nicko1234
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »

That is indeed utterly excruciating to watch. A million times worse than Baywatch which is saying something.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »

The way it started out was fine, but that $hitty singing made me wanna vomit.
Brian's face at 1:38! LOL
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »

How can you not love Mr. Hawthorne?
Word.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »

Bullpucky! LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »

Pardon if this isredundant to what ha been posted, but the BW and Frankie Vallie Dick Clark special while not cringe worthy was much like watching a well trained, but terrified animal do tricks on stage .   We'll, I guess I did cringe.  like watching a middle aged, burnt out but rehabilitated Judi garland perform on a tv variety show in the 60 's.       Was landya curse or a blessing?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »

Is it as cringeworthy/funny as this car crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kAnNgqN9o

Everynow and then as a Beach Boys fan you just have to watch this just to reconfirm that it actually DID happen.
There's more funny to that video than cringeworthy. My fave mo' is seeing Brian, Bruce & Al slip-cueing - kinda cool! And of course, I like the song, am glad it exists.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Bill Ed
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2014, 11:52:24 PM »

Well, it's not really The Beach Boys, but this gets my vote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIX0L7TWcCw

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2014, 07:26:55 AM »

Well, it's not really The Beach Boys, but this gets my vote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIX0L7TWcCw

Yeah. When I saw that live, I was excited to see the guys and I loved the float (Being the 50's-60's retro girl that I am). Then the music started. Aside from the bad lip sync (which happens sometimes in parade settings), I just couldn't get past Mike's chipmunk voice. 
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2014, 07:28:35 AM »

OK. That was strange. But, I admit that I laughed when Brian revealed the keyboard in the desk.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »

OK. That was strange. But, I admit that I laughed when Brian revealed the keyboard in the desk.

what else would Brian have in his desk?  Grin
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »

I can't think of too many cringeworthy TV appearances by the group itself. Most of my personal cringeworthy moments are from Brian-related performances, starting in 1976 with The Mike Douglas Show, Saturday Night Live, and the NBC-TV Special. The late 1970's weren't too bad, but after Brian emerged with Landy in 1983, it was one nerve-wracking moment after another. For almost every TV appearance, I found myself literally holding my breath, clenching the VCR remote control, and praying that Brian would get through without embarrassing himself.

The most cringeworthy TV appearance I remember was Brian's performance on David Letterman's show in 1988. He looked absolutely petrified as he shouted "Nighttime", but the most uncomfortable part was the interview that followed. I taped the performance that night, and it's still hard to watch 26 years later. So many times I would watch Brian on TV and wonder why he was subjected to that torture. Well, I guess I do know why...
Nicko1234
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »

I can't think of too many cringeworthy TV appearances by the group itself. Most of my personal cringeworthy moments are from Brian-related performances, starting in 1976 with The Mike Douglas Show, Saturday Night Live, and the NBC-TV Special. The late 1970's weren't too bad, but after Brian emerged with Landy in 1983, it was one nerve-wracking moment after another. For almost every TV appearance, I found myself literally holding my breath, clenching the VCR remote control, and praying that Brian would get through without embarrassing himself.

The most cringeworthy TV appearance I remember was Brian's performance on David Letterman's show in 1988. He looked absolutely petrified as he shouted "Nighttime", but the most uncomfortable part was the interview that followed. I taped the performance that night, and it's still hard to watch 26 years later. So many times I would watch Brian on TV and wonder why he was subjected to that torture. Well, I guess I do know why...

You can watch it again here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp2iACbAsbA

Atrocious.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2014, 02:34:38 PM »

this is by far hands down the worst..... or sadest perhaps   Sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaQWQ7Zc4cQ

GMA 1980...

RickB
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2014, 02:50:10 PM »

Seeing those clips of Brian remind me it's good he got out of the house. He should be an inspiration for agoraphobics and people with all kinds of disabilities. So what if he was and is a little odd. It's like when people thought Dick Clark should stop appearing on New Year's Rockin' Eve after his stroke. Hey, he lived through it, it's something to celebrate.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »

Seeing those clips of Brian remind me it's good he got out of the house. He should be an inspiration for agoraphobics and people with all kinds of disabilities. So what if he was and is a little odd. It's like when people thought Dick Clark should stop appearing on New Year's Rockin' Eve after his stroke. Hey, he lived through it, it's something to celebrate.

Point taken, KittyKat. It's a complicated subject, and, you know what, there actually haven't been too many threads discussing the issue.

I think Brian's appearances and the Dick Clark appearances after his stroke are a little apples and oranges. I have to question how much Brian wanted to appear on TV, looked forward to it, and got satisfaction/rewards from his performances. And, more importantly, I wonder how much his TV appearances were voluntary or something he really wanted to do. On the other hand, while I don't know for a fact, I would think that Dick Clark wanted to return to the New Year's Rockin' Eve broadcast. It was probably a goal, physically and emotionally, and something that was very, very important to him. And, also, unlike Brian, I'll bet it was something that Dick Clark CHOSE to do.

Yes, there are times when people with disabilities have to be prompted or led to do certain things. And, yes, while it might be a little uncomfortable for them, it can be considered "for their own good". There were many instances in Brian's career/life when this was true. I'm not so sure some of these TV appearances are among them.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:30:52 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »

There's also this cringey interview, though it's certainly not Brian's fault...

http://youtu.be/siRSEBG8uJU

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2014, 03:00:45 AM »

Atrocious.

You mean the hair of the bassist and the saxophone player? Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »

Atrocious.

I thought Brian seemed quite comfortable and with it in the interview.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »

i did too. Honestly, he seemed more with it there than he does now, for whatever reason.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2014, 07:33:10 PM »

Atrocious.

Really? Actually, that interview is the most uncomfortable I have EVER seen Brian in any interview. He incorporated everything - the extreme talking out of the side of his mouth, the forced exaggerated laugh, the not understanding the interviewer's questions, the fidgeting in the seat, the rolling of the tongue along the inside of the cheek, giving answers that have nothing to do with the question, wiping his running nose with his finger, and having a quizzical look on his face at the end of interview. Even though it was a YouTube video and I knew what to expect, I was STILL holding my breath as I was watching it. Shocked Cheesy
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2014, 10:16:08 PM »

Atrocious.

Really? Actually, that interview is the most uncomfortable I have EVER seen Brian in any interview. He incorporated everything - the extreme talking out of the side of his mouth, the forced exaggerated laugh, the not understanding the interviewer's questions, the fidgeting in the seat, the rolling of the tongue along the inside of the cheek, giving answers that have nothing to do with the question, wiping his running nose with his finger, and having a quizzical look on his face at the end of interview. Even though it was a YouTube video and I knew what to expect, I was STILL holding my breath as I was watching it. Shocked Cheesy

Brian's been doing that since the early days Grin

http://youtu.be/wTCDXpxC5m8?t=2s

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Bill Ed
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2014, 11:53:19 PM »

Okay, since no one else has, I'll be the one to state the obvious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSAQX2uuUY
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2014, 04:13:41 AM »

Atrocious.

Brian's been doing that since the early days Grin

http://youtu.be/wTCDXpxC5m8?t=2s

Same with Al, who gave an erroneous answer to an easy Dick Clark question - "What's the name of your new album?" Al: "Fun, Fun, Fun". Shocked The more things change, the more they stay the same...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx