gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:40:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think I've found the Beach Boys most cringeworthy TV appearance.  (Read 29395 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2014, 03:43:48 AM »

I think 2:40 was not scripted.
Grin

Stone-faced Brian standing awkwardly behind what's-his-face in the first 10 seconds is hilarious as well. He looks as if he had just been teleported there without his knowledge and doesn't know what the f*ck is going on. Grin

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2014, 04:56:26 AM »

^ LOL LOL

The more I stare at the picture, the funnier it becomes.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:01:21 AM by Ovi » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2014, 05:21:07 AM »

Really? The best word I can use to describe that screenshot is "troubled". While it's good to see him fit, you can't deny the flip-side of Landy years that shows Brian in a different drugged-out way.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2014, 05:23:56 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:08:11 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2014, 05:48:43 AM »

I love how half-heartedly he's waving that pom-pom.  LOL

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2014, 06:07:56 AM »

Really? The best word I can use to describe that screenshot is "troubled". While it's good to see him fit, you can't deny the flip-side of Landy years that shows Brian in a different drugged-out way.
We all know the "background". Undecided The humour, however, is situational - and self-sufficiently operative, to a certain degree. Those 10 seconds are suitably in that frame. At least that's how I see it. Cheesy

You don't mind my new pic, do you?
I'm so proud!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »

Stone-faced Brian standing awkwardly behind what's-his-face in the first 10 seconds is hilarious as well. He looks as if he had just been teleported there without his knowledge and doesn't know what the f*ck is going on. Grin

Hey - you're right! That's exactly the way I look too when that happens to me! Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »

That look is the same look I had about 15 years ago, halfway through the first day of a new day job at some anonymous office that had dozens of people answering phones and shuffling papers but not really producing anything.

Halfway through the day, they told me there was a mistake and they couldn't pay me what they agreed to pay me when they hired me, they told me the job would not be what they told me when they hired me, and I was put into a room with a lady whose job it was to stamp papers and hand-carry them to these other workers talking on the phone.

That face Brian made was exactly what I looked like for the next few hours.

The next morning, I went in to the office, told the two managers they lied to me, told them a few other things, and proceeded to walk the hell out. It was a beautiful morning that day, and one of the best days of my life. On the drive home I think my face probably looked like Bruce, smiling non-stop no matter what was taking place.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2014, 11:10:59 AM »

Is it as cringeworthy/funny as this car crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kAnNgqN9o

Everynow and then as a Beach Boys fan you just have to watch this just to reconfirm that it actually DID happen.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:12:07 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »

I still vote Summer of Love/Baywatch as the most cringeworthy. The version of Little Old Lady actually sounds decent. Mike kept the nasality way down unlike concerts during that time.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2014, 09:57:46 PM »

"Summer Of Love" is both gross, and (owing to different band members being on the shoot at different times) extremely confusing.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2014, 05:51:45 AM »

Nah. The boys are looking pretty good here and the song is fine. The production is typical 80's cheese, but no one watching at that time would have been embarrassed by the boys performance. We weren't that cynical back then, and this stuff was what passed for event TV.

Ruth Buzzi, however, was pretty over the top, even for a Laugh In veteran.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2014, 06:16:03 AM »

Really, the Beach Boys were the best part of that cheese fest.  God I love the 80's. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Nicko1234
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2014, 06:16:48 AM »

I would say that the U.K. TV appearances as Status Quo`s backing singers are more embarrassing. Even as a kid, not being a big fan at that time, it struck me as absurd that the more famous act were providing backing vocals. And they did pretty much every light entertainment show on TV!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2014, 12:34:58 PM »

I would say that the U.K. TV appearances as Status Quo`s backing singers are more embarrassing. Even as a kid, not being a big fan at that time, it struck me as absurd that the more famous act were providing backing vocals. And they did pretty much every light entertainment show on TV!

At least if you were in the UK, you had a chance of knowing who Status Quo were. The first time I read that name, I assumed the BB’s had teamed up with an “N Sync” style boy band.  LOL

When I finally heard their “collaboration”, I was kind of perplexed, as it was even more unremarkable than the “Stars and Stripes” stuff, just a really generic cover version like you’d hear on those rip-off “greatest hits” cover version albums.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »

At least if you were in the UK, you had a chance of knowing who Status Quo were. The first time I read that name, I assumed the BB’s had teamed up with an “N Sync” style boy band.  LOL

When I finally heard their “collaboration”, I was kind of perplexed, as it was even more unremarkable than the “Stars and Stripes” stuff, just a really generic cover version like you’d hear on those rip-off “greatest hits” cover version albums.

You know, I have often thought how much their status was abused as back-up to other acts. I know only certain BB's were involved but the only 4 songs I have any time for are 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me' by Elton John, ''Wishing You Were Here' with Chicago, 'Air That I Breath' with Julio and yes...I admit it.....'Warmth Of The Sun' with Willie.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2014, 07:07:17 AM »

Brian in that pic with Duffy, looks like he did (if I am recalling the right source of the picture) on the back cover of Holland.   A sort of lost and paranoid look.   Landy changed the package but the man inside had not changed.

Going on with the loose thread unravelling here, I saw Brian in one of the no Carl shows back in the early 80's.  THAT was, to me,  the epitomy of cringeworthy.   An unwashed, obese, pajama clad Brian sat behaind the piano, sang Don't Worry Baby, and I think Surfer Girl, off key, falsetto breaking and cracking.  Later inthe show, I had made my way to the area near the backside of the stage and could see a withdrawn looking Brian, sitting on the edge of the stage, legs and feet dangling, staring at the back wall of the arena.   With no Carl, that left Mike, Al, and Bruce on stage to plow through the car songs and assorted oldies.   Having attended live performances by these artists over the course of more than 4 decades, this was the nadir.   
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »

The Des O'Connor Show... Jeez.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2014, 06:32:10 PM »

Is it as cringeworthy/funny as this car crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kAnNgqN9o

Everynow and then as a Beach Boys fan you just have to watch this just to reconfirm that it actually DID happen.

LOL "I wanna see you in a bathing suit"  LOL "I'd like to see you in New York"  LOL

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »

Brian in that pic with Duffy, looks like he did (if I am recalling the right source of the picture) on the back cover of Holland.   A sort of lost and paranoid look.   Landy changed the package but the man inside had not changed.

Going on with the loose thread unravelling here, I saw Brian in one of the no Carl shows back in the early 80's.  THAT was, to me,  the epitomy of cringeworthy.   An unwashed, obese, pajama clad Brian sat behaind the piano, sang Don't Worry Baby, and I think Surfer Girl, off key, falsetto breaking and cracking.  Later inthe show, I had made my way to the area near the backside of the stage and could see a withdrawn looking Brian, sitting on the edge of the stage, legs and feet dangling, staring at the back wall of the arena.   With no Carl, that left Mike, Al, and Bruce on stage to plow through the car songs and assorted oldies.   Having attended live performances by these artists over the course of more than 4 decades, this was the nadir.   

Those "no Carl" shows around 1981 (I wasn't there; have only seen concert videos) were embarrassing for me to watch, but I'm not sure the band (minus Carl) was actually able to feel embarrassment at that point.  The concert footage that I've seen showed a zombie-like version of the band. In brief moments they were a reasonable facsimile of their former selves, with Al, Mike and Bruce trying to deliver a good show. But Brian's contributions sent the entire show into a tailspin. It was pitiful to watch and hear. I agree with you, donald; those shows WERE the pinnacle of cringeworthy.

(I'm a huge fan of Brian Wilson and thankful he got past that stage of his life).
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2014, 04:50:23 PM »

Most cringeworthy TV appearance ? Simples.

The entire 7/5/81 gig on the Queen Mary at Long Beach CA. Watching on TV from his hotel room on tour, Carl, when asked, said simply "it was painful".

No, Carl - it was shocking. Excruciatingly, toe-curlingly, buttock-clenchingly awful.
Just gave it a watch, and I absolutely agree. Not only cringeworthy, but downright depressing. Brian kinda just disappears halfway through (after a first half of absolutely terrible vocals - the intro to School Days made me laugh, I'm sorry to say) and everyone is in horrid form - they even somehow manage to f*** up the one-note line of "Ba Ba Ba Ba Barbara Ann".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rs_kaSkNmU

There are EIGHT parts, and I sat through all of them.  Cry

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »

wowwww.......... is that really Brian doing ('attempting') the falsetto parts for the songs?....

if he was in good shape he would have sounded GREAT to him do those original parts again...

or is that Adrian Baker?.......

RickB
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:33:11 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2014, 09:47:25 PM »

Why did an Adrian Baker era even exist when Bruce was back with the band?
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2014, 11:18:16 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdwhxyYDXE#t=35

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2014, 11:29:07 PM »

How can you not love Mr. Hawthorne?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx