gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:19:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: World Record 1973 Brian Interview  (Read 3886 times)
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:17:04 PM »

Does anyone have a full transcript of the interview Brian did for Record World in 1973,
its the one where Brian comments on Murry's death and says "It's making a man out of me"
theres a small portion in the Leaf book but can't find the full interview,
thanks
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:48:00 AM »

Anybody?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 04:34:36 AM »

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:09:48 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 05:59:53 AM »

Use  the search function?

Better to just ask the new AGD( same as the old boss)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 06:00:27 AM »

Yea I looked through that thread (which is great ) awhile back and just again now, but can't find it, I've never actually found the whole interview
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 06:04:12 AM »

oh and there's this interview, this was done during the smile period. Can anyone identify what this interview was for, this is the first and only time I'd seen this one.
It can be found in the brianisms thread

Interviewer: There has been a change recently in the music of the Beach Boys. Their mastermind, Brian Wilson, is here with us now to discuss what might have precipitated a seemingly about-face from the teen anthems of "I Get Around" to compositions like "Good Vibrations" and especially the forthcoming album entitled SMiLE. Welcome to the show, Brian.

Brian Wlson: Thank you for having me.

Interviewer: Can you explain to us what motivated your curious musical trajectory, especially the off-the-beaten-path mystique of SMiLE? There is no doubt that both songs like "Don't Worry Baby" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" are fantastic, but there is a certain... 'I know not what' about this new material that we, the listeners, are astounded with; can you elaborate upon this?

BW: Well, you see, I had known I was doing something real good musically for a while now, something I'd think people would feel nice about! One day, then, as I was reading fragments from the 19th century German philosopher Novalis's notebooks, I came across something that totally blew my mind! He said, "The world must be romanticized. Then one will again find the original sense. Romanticizing is nothing more than a qualitative involution. In this operation the lower self is identified with a better self. In the same manner we are such a qualitative series of powers. This operation is still completely unknown. When I give the commonplace a higher meaning, the customary a mysterious appearance, the known the dignity of the unknown, the finite the illusion of the infinite, I romanticize it. The operation is the converse for the higher, unknown, mystical, and infinite; through this connection it becomes logarithimized. It receives a customary expression. Romantic philosophy. Lingua romama. Reciprocal elevation and debasement." And that hit me, you know? I went, "Wow, that guy is saying something I can really dig!"

Interviewer: Could you maybe explain that a little bit? I don't think Tiger Beat readers are especially well-versed in 19th century philosophy -- certainly not German, at any rate.

BW: Sure, well, I'll tell you what I got out of this. I thought Novalis was saying that the world we live in and the divine we believe in should not be distinct, basically. I thought that was groovy because it really emphasizes the unmediated connection humans have with God. Spirituality is important for us in The Beach Boys, and I do think that God is suffused throughout music, expressed in multifarious ways -- as if He were the white light refracted through Newton's prism, presented as a wondrous array of expressivity we can comprehend! I think SMiLE will be a hell of a record when we're finished, and I think if he were around Novalis would dig it too. He also said, in Pollen, that "Many books are longer than they seem. In fact, they have no end. The boredom they generateis absolute and infinite. [. . .] This is a pot into which everyone can throw their own example." I think that's true of music too, and I really hope no one feels that way about our new LP; I just want everyone to dig the cool music and great tunes above all else!

Interviewer: That is deeply felt, Brian, thank you. I'm sure no one could ever think such a sensitive young man was capable of releasing an album of such transcendence that is boring; you don't have to worry. Thank you again for your time.

BW: My pleasure, thank you.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 09:09:28 AM »

it's a throw-off for Tiger Beat. What else is there to know?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »

BW: Well, you see, I had known I was doing something real good musically for a while now, something I'd think people would feel nice about! One day, then, as I was reading fragments from the 19th century German philosopher Novalis's notebooks, I came across something that totally blew my mind! He said, "The world must be romanticized. Then one will again find the original sense. Romanticizing is nothing more than a qualitative involution. In this operation the lower self is identified with a better self. In the same manner we are such a qualitative series of powers. This operation is still completely unknown. When I give the commonplace a higher meaning, the customary a mysterious appearance, the known the dignity of the unknown, the finite the illusion of the infinite, I romanticize it. The operation is the converse for the higher, unknown, mystical, and infinite; through this connection it becomes logarithimized. It receives a customary expression. Romantic philosophy. Lingua romama. Reciprocal elevation and debasement." And that hit me, you know? I went, "Wow, that guy is saying something I can really dig!"

Shocked The above may be a load of pseudo-philosophical babble, but whatever happened to this Brian Wilson? The latterday individual of the same name may be an interesting guy, but I just cannot imagine such literate, eloquent sayings coming from the Brian Wilson of the last 20-30 years. Not saying either is good or bad, just an observation of how people can change through their lives.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:56:12 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »

Shocked The above may be a load of pseudo-philosophical babble, but whatever happened to this Brian Wilson? The latterday individual of the same name may be an interesting guy, but I just cannot imagine such literate, eloquent sayings coming from the Brian Wilson of the last 20-30 years. Not saying either is good or bad, just an observation of how people can change through their lives.

Neither can Brian apparently. He was on Q radio a few years ago and the host played back an interview with Brian from the 70's and it blew his mind. THe host asked what he thought about it and his reaction was "I can't believe I use to talk so fast!"  LOL
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 02:07:25 PM »

whatever happened to this Brian Wilson?
People around here always say he's brain damaged from "Landy drugs" ...
But what are "Landy drugs" anyhow ?  antipsychotics of some sort??

I have been asking this question for a couple of years now. I'm not disputing that Landy had Brian on some heavy stuff that might've (probably?) had permanent and damaging effects, but what were the drugs? I ask because I don't know; I've never read anything definitive about Landy's meds, other than they were prescribed illegally.

I've also repeated this "story". I remember a post(er) on this board who was familiar with the drugs that Landy administered to Brian, and this poster stated that, while the medication was very powerful, it did not/could inflict permanent damage to Brian. I recently searched for that post but couldn't locate it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »

Neither can Brian apparently. He was on Q radio a few years ago and the host played back an interview with Brian from the 70's and it blew his mind. THe host asked what he thought about it and his reaction was "I can't believe I use to talk so fast!"  LOL

Brian was shown the 1976 clip on the Mike Douglas Show. And he did talk fast and a lot. I've always thought that he did a couple of lines before he went on. But with Landy and the Surf Nazi's standing on the side, it's doubtful. Maybe a heavy dose of caffeine or something.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 10:38:43 PM »

it's a throw-off for Tiger Beat. What else is there to know?
date? volume? issue? editor? where it is reprinted? scan? authenticity?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 11:52:28 PM »

When someone finds these elusive articles, would they please be kind enough to transcribe and post them here for all our listening pleasure?

“We live in divisive times.”
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 12:20:56 AM »

Sometimes I find some of my old posts in old threads and find myself asking, "Did I really say that?" And that was only 4-6 years ago. Sometimes we forget that we evolve as individuals over time, and that tastes, opinions, appearance, vocabulary, diction, vernacular, outlooks on life, etc can all be pretty fluid.

Yeah it's very hard to imagine Brian speaking like that even 10 years later.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 03:06:19 AM »

Very true, yea it was hard to now exactly if the interview was legit or fake but if bgas says its from that magazine that's a good verification for me. He was reading so many different types of literature back then it's cool to have yet another authors work Brian was into
theCOD
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »

Brian never said any of that. It was written by someone on this board.

if bgas says its from that magazine that's a good verification for me.

We're actually paying attention to that idiot guy now? Wow, this place is in worse shape than I thought. LOL
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 10:15:46 PM by ChickenOfDepression » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx