-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The OG Orange Juice Thread
Poll
Question: Pulp?
High pulp - 0 (0%)
Extra Pulp - 1 (16.7%)
All of the above - 5 (83.3%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The OG Orange Juice Thread  (Read 16630 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »

I really like orange juice.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:13:01 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:16:55 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:25:02 PM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:15:27 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 11:27:15 PM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:15:36 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:14 PM »

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 12:21:37 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:16:35 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:16 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:14:57 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:52 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:15:15 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 04:24:39 AM »

I used to hate Orange Juice with a passion, but that's changed over the last few months. It's seriously grown on me!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 05:00:21 AM »

I prefer grapefruit juice----something with a kick. That said, I squeeze three oranges for two breakfasters every morning. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »

When I want to treat myself, though, there's nothing better than fresh-squeezed.
Yes, if you make it yourself, or watch it being made, lots of Florida Orange Shippers/vendors do exactly that...it is probably safe...

Mack's Groves used to have those juice-bar type stores in Pompano Beach! The best! The real deal!

Lots of those commercial vendors employ pretty shabby practices for their production.  Wink

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 05:53:33 AM »

HalBlaineIsGood speaks of the infamous "gallon jug" - as children we didn't know there was anything better...our parents prided themselves in the fact that they saved 15 cents by buying this atrocity of breakfast juice. Day after day we glugged down this high-fructose-laced milky-textured slightly-orange-tasting substance....(I hear the "gallon jug" is used at Guantanamo Bay as a subtle, yet effective, way to break the spirits of those imprisoned). The day came when we were in college, late night food raid at the local 7-11...hot pockets, oreos, red bull, whatever else our late-night munchies pleaded for. We walked to the refrigerated section, on a whim you bought a small orange juice container labeled with strange words such as "High Pulp" "No Added Preservatives" "100% Pure Florida Orange Juice"...after just one swig you never looked back to the gallon jug.

That right-of-passage to becoming a man? It's not about that night you lost your virginity, it's not about that day you yourself became financially secure...it's the day you became untethered from the surly bonds of the "gallon jug".

That right of passage to parenthood? That begins when you pass up the opportunity to buy the Simply Orange "high pulp" blend and go back to the "gallon jug" just to save 15 cents.

It's a treacherous circle of sadistic deceit...a circle that will never cease until the last orange is squeezed.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:02:36 AM »

I can't stand Orange jucie with bits in it, got to be smooth all the way.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 09:19:41 AM »

I Love Orange Juice.  And not just in the morning, all day.  My favorite is the "other" Florida 100% Pure Premium, NEVER from Concentrate, (and my brand label adds - Kosher for Passover) - Tropicana HOMESTYLE, some pulp (which I can't vote for in the poll, as it's not listed).  Comes in 59 FL OZ and a bigger one (but not a gallon) classic plastic bottle.  When I was a kid it always came in glass bottles, same crappy OJ disguised as quality.  Or the waxy cartons - the 15 cents cheaper kind (even less quality), but always Only from Concentrate.  TANG gets the honorable mention though - 'cause NASA made it The Most Popular for Everybody!  And that only needed tap water.  Reading that back to myself shows halblaineisgood is having an influence on all of us.  btw Don't they still make cereal in those variety packs - with perforated cardboard boxes for camping and kids?
My favorite mixer is two packets of Bar-Tender's instant Whisky Sour mix in 20 oz. choice OJ, poured over V.O. and a splash of Angostura aromatic bitters.  When guests are over, I offer lemon and orange slices - cherries if they insist, but not recommended.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »

Aside from Kiss' album "Alive" during the intro to Cold Gin, where Paul Stanley remarks on how " a lot of you out there like to drink Vodkuh and Ohange juice, "
 I can think of no other albums  that mention orange juice. Can you?

Not an album, but a single. My favorite song of 2014 so far, in fact: "Orange Juice" by Stanley Brinks & the Wave Pictures. I believe I linked to it in the 2014 new releases thread.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »

Aside from Kiss' album "Alive" during the intro to Cold Gin, where Paul Stanley remarks on how " a lot of you out there like to drink Vodkuh and Ohange juice, "
 I can think of no other albums  that mention orange juice. Can you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIfvCXhKtqM
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »

Richard Manuel wrote a song called "Orange Juice Blues (Blues for Breakfast)"
It's on The Basement Tapes - Bob and the Band, and on The Band's Big Pink cd as a bonus track.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 07:09:37 PM »

There was a Scottish indie/new wave/post punk band in the 80s called Orange Juice. They broke up after having a couple of minor UK hits but mostly languishing in obscurity for a decade. Then out of nowhere in `92, the former frontman  Edwyn Collins scored a huge international smash with "A Girl Like You".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 03:42:19 AM »

halblaineisgood
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:59:36 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »

My favorite song of 2014 so far, in fact: "Orange Juice" by Stanley Brinks & the Wave Pictures. I believe I linked to it in the 2014 new releases thread.
I really enjoyed that  Grin

A friend of mine said it should be in the jukebox of every bar on earth. That sounds like a good idea to me. Great song.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »

What about the rapper "OJ the juice man"? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »

I drank some orange juice last night.

Someone apparently "accidentally" bought low pulp. Let me tell you, it was wrong. All wrong.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 01:21:11 AM »

No.

Nope.

Nuh-uh, you've got it all wrong.

Observe my corrections.

I drank some orange juice last night.

Someone apparently "accidentally" bought high pulp. Let me tell you, it was wrong. All wrong. Low pulp is the only pulp. High pulp? more like HIGH PULP FICTIFOKFNJEF

#lowpulp2014

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 01:33:34 AM »

I used to hate Orange Juice with a passion, but that's changed over the last few months. It's seriously grown on me!
Yep, that's the basic opinion of people I know outside the board. They like either grape, apple or cherry juice. Seriously, this board is a big revelation for me in terms of everything. Good to know I'm not alone on my OJ preference.

Thanks to hal for the info on "Florida Natural", that was very fascinating. But what about California? I read that the lion's share of America's orange cultivation leads there. So what are some famous juice trademarks in Cali? The state isn't dubbed "Golden" for nothing, right? And generally, let's face it, Florida doesn't even come close to awesomeness which is California, hands down the best state of America.

2the captain: tbh, I decided to check your 2014 releases topic later, in 1 sitting. That said, you got me intrigued with that Orange Juice song. Will give it a listen today.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: