-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:36:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 177144 times)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 19, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »

I truly believe that peer pressure exists in every single culture (and micro-culture), only the behaviors,objects, etc. that are the targets differ. Go to certain places in the Middle East, for example, and see the pressure women put on other women to be extremely modest. Ditto Orthodox Jewish communities - go to one of their schools, see a girl with the top of her blouse unbuttoned, and you will probably see her friends bringing her to back to the expected standard. My own sons were made fun of mercilessly because they had no interest in having sex with girls, then women, with whom they were not in a loving, committed relationship. They were called gay, but didn't care because they were comfortable with their own sexuality. In some denominations of Christianity (throughout the world), marriage partners are pressured by their social group to stay together, no matter how miserable or even in danger they may be; divorce results in loss of peer support and interaction. The old anthropology major in me could give many examples of groups in the Amazon or in the Philippines in which refusal to succumb to peer pressure can be deadly.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 19, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »

Alright. We'll agree to disagree as I still don't see why people can't do what *they* would like to do, why they're scared that they wouldn't be accepted into group etc. Talking about countries with freedom, I didn't talk about places where people get seriously punished if they dress differently etc. But when you live in place with freefom, it doesn't make sense people would get easily influenced. F.ex. everybody's got mobile phone. I bought it too but everybody buys the coolest phone, I buy it as mean to talk. Everybody buys fridge - is it peer pressure too? Or just realization that this is convenient, in fact single way to store food & prevent it being stale?

monolithic aka Nicko1234 is simply the worst poster in the BBs board history. He acts like this really fair & balanced, reasonable person, best kinda fan when in fact he's just fanboy, as well as subtle potshot taker & passive-aggressive commentator.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:09:17 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 20, 2018, 08:48:05 AM »

I think you are overrating people's natural ability to be truly individuals. Peer pressure is a well established reality in academic literature.

But with that said, obviously we can all see that some people are more susceptible than others to it: everyone knows someone who seems to fall into the crowd every single time about every single thing, and someone else who doesn't have such a problem being unique. Anyway, my point is just that it is clearly a real thing that some people simply aren't able to fight against to the degree that others are. To ask "why don't you just do what you want to do?" probably isn't a realistic question for those people, any more than it would be to ask someone with clinical depression "why don't you just cheer up?"

We have evolved to be social creatures on the whole, after all, so some degree of a need for acceptance by the group is natural. Different people just have different degrees of that need, and different levels of confidence in their own instincts or thinking.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: July 20, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »

Alright. We'll agree to disagree as I still don't see why people can't do what *they* would like to do, why they're scared that they wouldn't be accepted into group etc. Talking about countries with freedom, I didn't talk about places where people get seriously punished if they dress differently etc. But when you live in place with freefom, it doesn't make sense people would get easily influenced. F.ex. everybody's got mobile phone. I bought it too but everybody buys the coolest phone, I buy it as mean to talk. Everybody buys fridge - is it peer pressure too? Or just realization that this is convenient, in fact single way to store food & prevent it being stale?

monolithic aka Nicko1234 is simply the worst poster in the BBs board history. He acts like this really fair & balanced, reasonable person, best kinda fan when in fact he's just fanboy, as well as subtle potshot taker & passive-aggressive commentator.

Monolithic is a female poster and is not Nicko1234 unless there is something I’m not aware of
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:44:35 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 20, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »

I hear you, RRA1. I was keenly aware of peer pressure beginning in, maybe second grade. Even then, I found it the degree to which kids would go to to be part of the crowd, to be "in" to be annoying. I learned what I had to do and how to present myself in order to avoid bullies (and get along in the workplace), but other than that, I made no effort to conform. If it appeared that I was, for example, in fashion, it was only because I liked it or it was a clear professional expectation. I wore my hair very short when EVERY girl wore it at least shoulder length; this filtered out guys who wanted a girlfriend who conformed to their peers' ideal female, the one that is found in centerfolds. There were plenty of males left over who commented that they liked my hair because it showed my face better. I went to few parties because they were just excuses to for kids to drink and do drugs, and just never bought into the fixation teenage girls had with talking on the phone for hours and hours. I had friends, pretty much other kids who were comfortable being themselves. It is true, though, that some people have a greater need than others to fit in with the "cool people" for no other reason than to do it. I'm nice to everyone, but feel a bit less respect for them, would not seek them out personally or socially. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 20, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »

2Billy: Nicko1234 is disguised as female poster monolithic. He's former Smiley poster, by monolithic's admission. It's super-easy to choose gender as female in the settings. Nobody I'd seen overuses a/ an article in 6 yrs I read this board except N1234. F.ex. people say "great post" without "a" when quoting the other poster. N1234 said "A great post", "An interesting post". monolithic did the same. Bolding specific bit to reply to it when quoting whole post is next thing. The opinions, defending John Stamos, taking Mike's side, mentioning Bruce's song "Brand New Old Friends" positively, just the writing style, points he brought here brought by him as monolithic at PS as well. Bottom line: monolithic IS Nicko1234. If you don't believe me - fine. I deduced it's him & believe my deduction skills. Either way, I stand by everything I said there about monolithic/ Nicko1234.

2Buckethead & tc: Points taken.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: July 21, 2018, 01:23:52 AM »

2Billy: Nicko1234 is disguised as female poster monolithic. He's former Smiley poster, by monolithic's admission. It's super-easy to choose gender as female in the settings. Nobody I'd seen overuses a/ an article in 6 yrs I read this board except N1234. F.ex. people say "great post" without "a" when quoting the other poster. N1234 said "A great post", "An interesting post". monolithic did the same. Bolding specific bit to reply to it when quoting whole post is next thing. The opinions, defending John Stamos, taking Mike's side, mentioning Bruce's song "Brand New Old Friends" positively, just the writing style, points he brought here brought by him as monolithic at PS as well. Bottom line: monolithic IS Nicko1234. If you don't believe me - fine. I deduced it's him & believe my deduction skills. Either way, I stand by everything I said there about monolithic/ Nicko1234.

2Buckethead & tc: Points taken.
If so, that’s a good catch. I never thought of it that way but it does make sense, and I think you’re right. That said, I think it’s best not to take shots at members from another board, as right now we’re coexisting and I’d prefer to keep it that way. There may be a few that continue to take shots st us but their mods are doing an outstanding job of keeping it in check. Let’s follow the same example.

I do think you’re right though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 21, 2018, 01:32:47 AM »

Thank you, I know I'm right. :D
& OK, I'll keep negative views about posters in mind.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 21, 2018, 04:26:18 AM »

Love your self-confidence!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 28, 2018, 03:20:57 PM »

Embellished speeches/ intros with zero substance. Stuff you hear in TV/ various media, in ritzy evenings you visit. Say, "Today we gathered to celebrate this day. I see beautiful people around, it makes me happy to bring the news that we will be destined with few precious hours of gratifying joy that transcends all generations, the essence of spectacular evening will build gracious memories in our intelligent minds for many happy years to look brightly into the great future". Zzz. Yet many, interestingly, enjoy such speeches.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 28, 2018, 03:56:58 PM »

Nicko1234 is disguised as female poster monolithic. He's former Smiley poster, by monolithic's admission. It's super-easy to choose gender as female in the settings. Nobody I'd seen overuses a/ an article in 6 yrs I read this board except N1234. F.ex. people say "great post" without "a" when quoting the other poster. N1234 said "A great post", "An interesting post". monolithic did the same. Bolding specific bit to reply to it when quoting whole post is next thing. The opinions, defending John Stamos, taking Mike's side, mentioning Bruce's song "Brand New Old Friends" positively, just the writing style, points he brought here brought by him as monolithic at PS as well. Bottom line: monolithic IS Nicko1234. If you don't believe me - fine. I deduced it's him & believe my deduction skills. Either way, I stand by everything I said there about monolithic/ Nicko1234.

That's pretty impressive reasoning there, RR. I really admire your deduction skills, although we'll probably never find out the truth.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 28, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »

That's pretty impressive reasoning there, RR. I really admire your deduction skills
Thank you. It was VERY easy. Wink Btw, you forgot this " 3D" to go with your post. Tongue

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 28, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »

Embellished speeches/ intros with zero substance. Stuff you hear in TV/ various media, in ritzy evenings you visit. Say, "Today we gathered to celebrate this day. I see beautiful people around, it makes me happy to bring the news that we will be destined with few precious hours of gratifying joy that transcends all generations, the essence of spectacular evening will build gracious memories in our intelligent minds for many happy years to look brightly into the great future". Zzz. Yet many, interestingly, enjoy such speeches.

If you are called on at the last minute to give a speech, I believe there is a random speech generator available , giving all the buzzwords while not actually saying anything.
Yes, most people don't care about most run of the mill speeches. They are impatiently waiting for it to end so that they can enjoy the food/music whatever.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 28, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »

I'm not sure what you drive at in the 1st sentence. You mean, people use speech app or sth.?

This is cool thread. Imo it's interesting to read dislikes than likes. Seeing people say "Wow, I love it!", "Great song!", "Fantastic" thousand times in row can be chore. There is misguided view that telling dislikes is impolite. Don't be kidding.

"DefinAtely" is the winner.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:47:15 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 28, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »

I saw the random speech generator on Facebook. Now I can't find it, although I did find a random Trump speech generator. It takes random sentences from Trump speeches and creates a new speech - the speech doesn't make much sense but don't think his supporters care.

Big pet peeve now. I can't answer my phone anymore. Over 90 percent of calls are from various  scam artists. They disguise the phone numbers so you think they are local calls.
So if the number isn't on my phone list, I don't answer it. And they almost never leave messages . Grrrr...

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 29, 2018, 05:19:11 PM »

Curious what this generator thing's got to do with pet peeve in question. Do people standing at the stage hosting the evening, whatev. it is, go online to get speech help? I don't get it. There's people who really enjoy saying "beautiful" words, you can tell. Speech can be prepared, as well as created spontaneously during the evening. People very into it can articulate, find various embellishments very well without help. To them it's very easy thing to do. I'm still not sure how "random speech generator" is related to "embellished speeches with zero substance". What is the actual point, your reply is very ambiguous, frankly speaking.

- dancers in streets
- loud off-key (tipsy) singing in public
- handing various advertising brochures to strangers when they pass by (I usually pretend to not hear "Won't you take this?" & go stubbornly forward)
- speaking of mobile calls, dislike this trick when people call very shortly which means you can't pick it up in time. They do it that you call them back, YOUR balance decreases. That trick's not going to work with me. I don't call back. THEY called, THEY needed sth. to say, not I. If it's sth. REALLY important, they'll find way to tell it. Their problem.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »

The random speech generator is a joke , poking fun at those speeches we all hear that have all those familiar phrases combined with other flowery language , and the whole doesn't always make sense if you read a copy of the speech later.

I rarely see dancers in the street. They would be found in parades. If I'm there, I expect dancing and don't mind it as long as it doesn't get raunchy.

I try to avoid drunks as much as possible. Have had bad experiences with drunks, and how friends of mine become incredibly obnoxious (none of my friends seem to handle their liquor well; my best friend, thankfully , finally swore off the stuff)

I rarely have to deal with people giving out brochures as long as I stay away from tourist areas.
 Your phone plan is like mine used to be. My plan now allows unlimited talking. I don't like talking on the phone so use very little time. If someone dials a couple of rings then hangs up, I don't bother calling them back ( the only exception is if a family member keeps doing it, indicating that they are having some problem).

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2018, 07:34:04 PM »

Alright, thanks. I'm glad to get to the bottom at last. Which merely was: it's joke.

Tariff plan in my sim-card is Internet-based. I don't usually choose tariffs beneficial as far as calls go. Such tariff plans don't include cheap Internet access - there it's really expensive, f.ex. if you sit 5 minutes, it equals 20-50 roubles, depending if the site's rife with ads, high-res big size pics, if it's busy site with many fancy features. If you download sth., you could get fast to negative balance (-100 /- 200 roubles).
In short, choose cheap Internet to cheap calls. When I talk few minutes then check the balance, if it said 100 roubles before, now it's 85 left in balance - like that. It's fine by me.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 06, 2018, 06:20:39 PM »

Bad film translation cases which I study by ear with great inspection. F.ex. PLENTY mistakes in "Rosemary's Baby". Just to give the idea - when Rose plays game "Erudite" to make anagram in the floor, she gives up at last & says "Now that really makes sense", starts gathering back the letters whilst sighing "Poor Hutch", to indicate she began to believe that Hutch indeed didn't know what he talked about in his ultimate day. That bit the Russian voice translates as "Hm, there's sth. about it", with intonation telling viewer that the anagrams she made, one after the other, give her clues that she can't catch yet but they do mean sth. Which is as misleading as can be.

Different stupid inter-board wah blah whines & petty name-calling. Granted, am apathetic towards 90% PS posters.

I find many people to be pet peeves, shall we say. There's many things that annoy about them. The way they laugh, talk, smile, mannerisms, stupid habits, various trifle little things. Agree? Smiley
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 03:35:52 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 19, 2018, 07:30:50 PM »

When walking in the broad asphalt, passers-by taking space when they could walk in different side. I.e. you walk to the right, 20 cm space, & passer-by when passing you by facing you takes the same exactly space. When the asphalt is broad & the other spaces vacant. It annoys. Am sure many will agree with it by default. Btw, it could be perhaps said shortly but not jolly good at being laconic.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 29, 2018, 08:13:24 AM »

Looks like I dominate this thread. Cool. I see many times when people use "ton" - "I read tons of books", "thanks a ton", "ton of sth.". HeyJude, KDS used it a lot. Maybe they do still. It will not be fair to say the next but everytime I see people using it, I immediatelly think they lack in intellect dept. It's slang, isn't it? Like what kids at Twitter talk like. Many Twitter kids may be bright but it's difficult to see when they use "ton".

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 29, 2018, 10:27:47 AM »

Certainly not an "intellect" thing. It's a common term used by many people, including myself.
Use it if "lots" of something doesn't quite do the trick.

See also, "bunches," " oodles, " "scads," etc.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 29, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »

"Use it if "lots" of something doesn't quite do the trick." - Really. How interesting. Tell me - what's the difference between lots of sth. & tons of sth. What "trick" does using "ton" do? I'm curious now.
Re: Twitter kids, the point stands. Slang kids use & adults gives impression that they lack in intellect dept. It just does. You gotta agree it makes sense.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 29, 2018, 03:03:17 PM »

"Use it if "lots" of something doesn't quite do the trick." - Really. How interesting. Tell me - what's the difference between lots of sth. & tons of sth. What "trick" does using "ton" do? I'm curious now.

Tons - lots and lots and lots...
 "Do the trick" - an expression, means to get the result you want.

Just my opinion - I don't believe people using slang terms are lacking in the intellect department.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 29, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »

That's nice you defend people using slang but...but...wait a minute...I seem to've said "it gives impression". Which isn't the same as saying downright "they're idiots". Right? Or as limeys say, roight? Besides, I'd written "Many Twitter kids may be bright but it's difficult to see when they use "ton" & "It will not be fair to say the next but everytime I see people using it, I immediately think they lack in intellect dept." (Re-)read attentively the wording, please, before beginning to defend people.
Hope next time I'm allowed to freely express anything that annoys. Pet peeve means just that - things that annoy. & this is free board, I'd like to say things I want to. I dislike when people start defending the others, *especially* without reading attentively what they reply to.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:24:28 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: