-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 33962 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: February 11, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »

Jive talk. Just watch this What's My Line? mystery guest episode with Julie London. All 4 panelists seem rather annoyed by her "You know, like" answers. They seem confused as to what she even says. Then moderator John Daly tries to translate it into normal speech & then at one point ends it with "You dig?". Everybody laughs, even Julie. But yes, it is painful to hear.

Just to make sure, I want to point out that the show had guests who had to mislead the panelists so they wouldn't guess their identity, and one way was to deliberately throw them off by speaking differently than they did in reality. Julie London was a pretty well-known celebrity of that era and had a successful career as a jazz singer. "Julie Is Her Name" vols. 1 and 2 are personal favorites, and she scored a very big hit with the song Cry Me A River from vol. 1. She was speaking that way because it was part of the pop culture of that time. She was playing the game and doing the same comedy bit as others back then, including the Brian Wilson favorite "How To Speak Hip". She did not speak that way in real life, it was for that game show.

On those same lines, if that kind of talk is a pet peeve, definitely avoid reruns of the 50's TV shows "77 Sunset Strip" and "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis", especially the characters Edd "Kookie" Byrnes and Maynard G. Krebs.  Grin  That lingo was their whole schtick.

That post is dedicated to all the hep cats and cool kitties out there makin' the scene, you dig?

"Every single person who criticized Brian for having She & Him, Kacey Musgraves, Sebu and Nate Ruess guesting on his solo album can now officially go heartily f*** themselves." - Wirestone

"I will never change with what I think happened in here and you will never convince me otherwise." - Dr. Beach Boy.
"There was no up front fees, period. swedishfrog  and I paid for the domain name. As of June 19, 2016 at 4:32pm edt, that is all I was charged for." - Dr. Beach Boy
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 11, 2017, 01:05:36 PM »

Right-o daddy-o! Wink

I don't see the point in punishing Brian's musical output solely because Mike wants to wow the President Elect with how long he can weeze "wheeeeeeen" into a microphone.- rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: February 11, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »

That's real gone, man, swingsville! A total gas.

"Every single person who criticized Brian for having She & Him, Kacey Musgraves, Sebu and Nate Ruess guesting on his solo album can now officially go heartily f*** themselves." - Wirestone

"I will never change with what I think happened in here and you will never convince me otherwise." - Dr. Beach Boy.
"There was no up front fees, period. swedishfrog  and I paid for the domain name. As of June 19, 2016 at 4:32pm edt, that is all I was charged for." - Dr. Beach Boy
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 11, 2017, 01:48:33 PM »

2guitarfool2002: Yes, I'm aware of the rules. Smiley I know every panelist that's been there, celebrity (f.ex. music field, Frank Zappa, Peter Paul & Mary appeared in the show). That Marilyn Monroe never was there, nor Audrey Hepburn. It's shame that some kinescopes were lost.

I've been saying it's my favorite show in various threads now. Nobody picked it. Julie London is brought to illustrate jive talk which I don't like. It was of the times but the panelists do seem annoyed & confused in that clip. But then again, they're senior than Julie London age group. The oldest is Bennett Cerf, co-founder of "Random House Publishing".

John Daly has the best TV voice, from the shows I'd seen. Art Carney made funny parody of him. It must be in Youtube, search "Art Carney what's my line". & he was mystery guest twice. EDIT: Here's that WML spoof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5YyAjryAt8

Thanks for the cat reference (but not for hip talk) :D!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:59:44 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post in SmileySmile.

Smiley Chaps & Chapettes! With Happy Christmas...Soon!

At Christmas dinner, turkey will roll around & fly away. Host & guests will try to catch it to eat it but turkey will attack people instead. & get the whole house. What to do to prevent it - DON'T BUY TURKEY. (Christmas Wisdom No. 0)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2017, 05:26:25 AM »

Bumper stickers. Hate 'em. I don't care if your kid is an honor student, or if your kid beat up my honor student, or if you hate Obama, or if you think it's funny that Calvin pisses on a certain baseball team's logo, what religion you are, what (un)clever phrases you're amused by...I just care that you drive safe.

That is actually a pet peeve of mine. I am not sure when "drive safely" became "drive safe" but it drives me crazy.  Cheesy So does shorthand texting. An educated adult who writes "Ur correct" or "leave B4 it rains" sounds like an idiot to me. (I also love decals. I have them all over my Jeep. I do not care for the ones that you mention though. I like fun ones.)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:56:13 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »

re: Bumper Stickers
I have a photo that I took several years ago of the back of a truck in a parking lot. Took the picture because it was plastered in bumper stickers. "Obama - Undocumented Worker", "Where's the Birth Certificate?" "drill Drill DRILL!" etc.
No it didn't change my mind. Made the truck owner look silly, and gave me a chuckle as it was so over the top.

A big pet peeve is someone who doesn't agree with a post calling the original poster names such as "Libtard" instead of stating what exactly is so disagreeable about the post. The worst is "Fake News!"
Seems like a lot of people are putting their fingers in their ears, saying "lalala" loudly so as to not hear the other side. (This goes for both sides)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"Someone...handed me a Leadbelly record with the song "Cottonfields" on it. And that record changed my life right then and there. Transported me into a world I'd never known." - Bob Dylan, Nobel Prize Speech.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »

2guitarfool2002: Yes, I'm aware of the rules. Smiley I know every panelist that's been there, celebrity (f.ex. music field, Frank Zappa, Peter Paul & Mary appeared in the show). That Marilyn Monroe never was there, nor Audrey Hepburn. It's shame that some kinescopes were lost.

I've been saying it's my favorite show in various threads now. Nobody picked it. Julie London is brought to illustrate jive talk which I don't like. It was of the times but the panelists do seem annoyed & confused in that clip. But then again, they're senior than Julie London age group. The oldest is Bennett Cerf, co-founder of "Random House Publishing".

John Daly has the best TV voice, from the shows I'd seen. Art Carney made funny parody of him. It must be in Youtube, search "Art Carney what's my line". & he was mystery guest twice. EDIT: Here's that WML spoof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5YyAjryAt8

Thanks for the cat reference (but not for hip talk) :D!

That's cool, I was posting as a big Julie London fan (and Bobby Troup fan) in case anyone thought that was the real Julie talking in hep cat like that.  Smiley

Speaking of 50's TV show parodies, one of the best I've seen was Sid Caesar spoofing "This Is Your Life" where he gets chosen but the security guards have to literally chase him around the studio to drag him onto the stage for him to be the guest on the show. Has to be seen to be appreciated.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »

I might have listed this within the thread already, but frankly it's not worth digging through 11 pages. So, here's one that really annoys me: when people begin a sentence with "And again..." before going on to say something they have not yet said. It seems to be an increasingly common practice that I assume is nothing more than "um" or "uh," just a placeholder while someone formulates his actual thoughts. Other times I think it's just intended to emphasize the upcoming point. Either way, it's annoying.

Demon-Fighting Genius, Patronizing Twaddler, Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick, and Sensationalist Dullard, and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »

Bullying. All forms of bullying. I've got a long list of pet peeves (that i'll eventually share here) but none affect my life as profoundly. I can't stand it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:53:17 AM by B.E. » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »

Going to YouTube to listen to a symphony and reading the top comment: "I have to listen to this sh*t for homework".

A minor peeve, perhaps. But still...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:30:32 PM by JK » Logged

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »

The acronym GOAT for Greatest Of All Time, especially when it comes to sports. 

Growing up, if you were the GOAT in a sport, that likely meant you cost your team a big game.  Now, if you're a GOAT, you're the greatest.  Weird. 

Less annoying is when I go on Facebook in mid July and see posts like "I'm so ready for leaves, hoodies, bonfires, and pumpkin spice lattes."  Summer goes fast enough, let's not rush it. 

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.
KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 20, 2017, 07:48:03 AM »

I forgot to mention this one yesterday. 

Beer snobs

I can handle music snobs (I've been accused of being one, but I've paid to see Poison in concert, so.....), movie snobs, etc etc. 

But pretentious beer snobs are the worst.  "Oh, you're drinking a Miller Lite, why not try something with flavor instead of that trash beer?  Here's a Bourbon Barrel Cask Ginger Root Infused Sour IPA." 

Maybe I buy so called "trash beer" because I don't think it's worth it to spend up to $14 for a sixer of craft stuff, or up to $8.00 for a draft at the bar.  Maybe, I actually like the taste.  It was good enough for my grandfather, and my parents. 

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 23, 2017, 04:52:22 AM »

Every week I spend an hour at the gym. Although the music they play is not what I listen to at home, it has been mostly okay, in-one-ear-and-out-the-other kind of stuff. Very occasionally I've heard something that made my ears prick up.

Unfortunately these days it's super-repetitive to the point of being unlistenable at times. It has driven me out on more than one occasion. Anyway, everyone is working out at their own speed, which is rarely if ever in sync with what's playing. A backcloth of ambient music strikes me as being a much better idea----or even classical music.

A minor peeve, really...

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: