-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:04:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 176742 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: February 11, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »

Jive talk. Just watch this What's My Line? mystery guest episode with Julie London. All 4 panelists seem rather annoyed by her "You know, like" answers. They seem confused as to what she even says. Then moderator John Daly tries to translate it into normal speech & then at one point ends it with "You dig?". Everybody laughs, even Julie. But yes, it is painful to hear.

Just to make sure, I want to point out that the show had guests who had to mislead the panelists so they wouldn't guess their identity, and one way was to deliberately throw them off by speaking differently than they did in reality. Julie London was a pretty well-known celebrity of that era and had a successful career as a jazz singer. "Julie Is Her Name" vols. 1 and 2 are personal favorites, and she scored a very big hit with the song Cry Me A River from vol. 1. She was speaking that way because it was part of the pop culture of that time. She was playing the game and doing the same comedy bit as others back then, including the Brian Wilson favorite "How To Speak Hip". She did not speak that way in real life, it was for that game show.

On those same lines, if that kind of talk is a pet peeve, definitely avoid reruns of the 50's TV shows "77 Sunset Strip" and "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis", especially the characters Edd "Kookie" Byrnes and Maynard G. Krebs.  Grin  That lingo was their whole schtick.

That post is dedicated to all the hep cats and cool kitties out there makin' the scene, you dig?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 11, 2017, 01:05:36 PM »

Right-o daddy-o! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: February 11, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »

That's real gone, man, swingsville! A total gas.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 11, 2017, 01:48:33 PM »

2guitarfool2002: Yes, I'm aware of the rules. Smiley I know every panelist that's been there, celebrity (f.ex. music field, Frank Zappa, Peter Paul & Mary appeared in the show). That Marilyn Monroe never was there, nor Audrey Hepburn. It's shame that some kinescopes were lost.

I've been saying it's my favorite show in various threads now. Nobody picked it. Julie London is brought to illustrate jive talk which I don't like. It was of the times but the panelists do seem annoyed & confused in that clip. But then again, they're senior than Julie London age group. The oldest is Bennett Cerf, co-founder of "Random House Publishing".

John Daly has the best TV voice, from the shows I'd seen. Art Carney made funny parody of him. It must be in Youtube, search "Art Carney what's my line". & he was mystery guest twice. EDIT: Here's that WML spoof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5YyAjryAt8

Thanks for the cat reference (but not for hip talk) :D!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:59:44 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2017, 05:26:25 AM »

Bumper stickers. Hate 'em. I don't care if your kid is an honor student, or if your kid beat up my honor student, or if you hate Obama, or if you think it's funny that Calvin pisses on a certain baseball team's logo, what religion you are, what (un)clever phrases you're amused by...I just care that you drive safe.

That is actually a pet peeve of mine. I am not sure when "drive safely" became "drive safe" but it drives me crazy.  Cheesy So does shorthand texting. An educated adult who writes "Ur correct" or "leave B4 it rains" sounds like an idiot to me. (I also love decals. I have them all over my Jeep. I do not care for the ones that you mention though. I like fun ones.)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:56:13 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »

re: Bumper Stickers
I have a photo that I took several years ago of the back of a truck in a parking lot. Took the picture because it was plastered in bumper stickers. "Obama - Undocumented Worker", "Where's the Birth Certificate?" "drill Drill DRILL!" etc.
No it didn't change my mind. Made the truck owner look silly, and gave me a chuckle as it was so over the top.

A big pet peeve is someone who doesn't agree with a post calling the original poster names such as "Libtard" instead of stating what exactly is so disagreeable about the post. The worst is "Fake News!"
Seems like a lot of people are putting their fingers in their ears, saying "lalala" loudly so as to not hear the other side. (This goes for both sides)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »

2guitarfool2002: Yes, I'm aware of the rules. Smiley I know every panelist that's been there, celebrity (f.ex. music field, Frank Zappa, Peter Paul & Mary appeared in the show). That Marilyn Monroe never was there, nor Audrey Hepburn. It's shame that some kinescopes were lost.

I've been saying it's my favorite show in various threads now. Nobody picked it. Julie London is brought to illustrate jive talk which I don't like. It was of the times but the panelists do seem annoyed & confused in that clip. But then again, they're senior than Julie London age group. The oldest is Bennett Cerf, co-founder of "Random House Publishing".

John Daly has the best TV voice, from the shows I'd seen. Art Carney made funny parody of him. It must be in Youtube, search "Art Carney what's my line". & he was mystery guest twice. EDIT: Here's that WML spoof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5YyAjryAt8

Thanks for the cat reference (but not for hip talk) :D!

That's cool, I was posting as a big Julie London fan (and Bobby Troup fan) in case anyone thought that was the real Julie talking in hep cat like that.  Smiley

Speaking of 50's TV show parodies, one of the best I've seen was Sid Caesar spoofing "This Is Your Life" where he gets chosen but the security guards have to literally chase him around the studio to drag him onto the stage for him to be the guest on the show. Has to be seen to be appreciated.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »

I might have listed this within the thread already, but frankly it's not worth digging through 11 pages. So, here's one that really annoys me: when people begin a sentence with "And again..." before going on to say something they have not yet said. It seems to be an increasingly common practice that I assume is nothing more than "um" or "uh," just a placeholder while someone formulates his actual thoughts. Other times I think it's just intended to emphasize the upcoming point. Either way, it's annoying.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »

Bullying. All forms of bullying. I've got a long list of pet peeves (that i'll eventually share here) but none affect my life as profoundly. I can't stand it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:53:17 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »

Going to YouTube to listen to a symphony and reading the top comment: "I have to listen to this sh*t for homework".

A minor peeve, perhaps. But still...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:30:32 PM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »

The acronym GOAT for Greatest Of All Time, especially when it comes to sports. 

Growing up, if you were the GOAT in a sport, that likely meant you cost your team a big game.  Now, if you're a GOAT, you're the greatest.  Weird. 

Less annoying is when I go on Facebook in mid July and see posts like "I'm so ready for leaves, hoodies, bonfires, and pumpkin spice lattes."  Summer goes fast enough, let's not rush it. 
KDS
« Reply #261 on: September 20, 2017, 07:48:03 AM »

I forgot to mention this one yesterday. 

Beer snobs

I can handle music snobs (I've been accused of being one, but I've paid to see Poison in concert, so.....), movie snobs, etc etc. 

But pretentious beer snobs are the worst.  "Oh, you're drinking a Miller Lite, why not try something with flavor instead of that trash beer?  Here's a Bourbon Barrel Cask Ginger Root Infused Sour IPA." 

Maybe I buy so called "trash beer" because I don't think it's worth it to spend up to $14 for a sixer of craft stuff, or up to $8.00 for a draft at the bar.  Maybe, I actually like the taste.  It was good enough for my grandfather, and my parents. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 23, 2017, 04:52:22 AM »

Every week I spend an hour at the gym. Although the music they play is not what I listen to at home, it has been mostly okay, in-one-ear-and-out-the-other kind of stuff. Very occasionally I've heard something that made my ears prick up.

Unfortunately these days it's super-repetitive to the point of being unlistenable at times. It has driven me out on more than one occasion. Anyway, everyone is working out at their own speed, which is rarely if ever in sync with what's playing. A backcloth of ambient music strikes me as being a much better idea----or even classical music.

A minor peeve, really...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:40 AM »

Beer snobs

I can handle music snobs (I've been accused of being one, but I've paid to see Poison in concert, so.....), movie snobs, etc etc. 

But pretentious beer snobs are the worst.  "Oh, you're drinking a Miller Lite, why not try something with flavor instead of that trash beer?  Here's a Bourbon Barrel Cask Ginger Root Infused Sour IPA." 

Maybe I buy so called "trash beer" because I don't think it's worth it to spend up to $14 for a sixer of craft stuff, or up to $8.00 for a draft at the bar.  Maybe, I actually like the taste.  It was good enough for my grandfather, and my parents. 
I had a coconut porter that was damn tasty last night, but I agree there's no need to put other people down cos they enjoy a Miller Lite over a bitter IPA (porters and pilsners are better anyway, haha).

If you drink Natural Ice, then we have a problem. I'm perfectly fine drinking PBR, and I had my first Coors last night (because the coconut porter got me kind of drunk and I wanted to keep that up). Rural IL has much more affordable craft beers than the heart of Seattle, which doesn't surprise me, of course.

I made a list a while ago, and I'm finally gonna post it. It's a lot longer than I remember it being:
Things That Irk Me:
- People who wear athletic clothing (like Nike and Lululemon) but don’t actually go to the gym. Gym clothes tend to be pricey, and the fact that these people are able to both flaunt their wealth and not use the clothing for its intended purpose is just astonishing. (I’m a runner so maybe this pisses me off more, i dunno)
- Improper waste disposal: Rinse out your dirty recyclables, pick up litter if there’s a trash nearby, compost whenever you can. And please don't put that glass bottle in the trash when there's a recycling bin RIGHT NEXT TO IT.
- People who ask, “Where do you get your protein?” after informing them of my vegetarianism. I eat a ton of eggs, an assortment of vegetables, rice and beans, the occasional fake meat, tofu, and chia seeds, flaxseeds, peanut butter, greek yogurt…. Stop asking if I miss meat or feel weak, goddammit.
- People who wear shoes as slippers, consequently ruining the heel
- Tiny dogs, mostly because they’re such an extreme and pretty cruel example of selective breeding and how it can ruin a species. I don’t have anything against tiny dogs themselves (it’s not their fault), just the stupid humans that bred them.
- Using “Yea” instead of “Yeah.” Yea indicates you’re voting in favor of something, not casually saying, “Yes,” and is pronounced differently.
- People who get annoyed when I ask them if they want a bag (I used to be a grocery cashier). They act like I’m stupid, exclaiming, “Of course; do you think I can carry everything in my hands?” I’m sorry, maybe you have reusable bags in your pockets, or maybe you could use your pockets, OR MAYBE YOUR HANDS BECAUSE YOU ONLY BOUGHT TWO ITEMS.
- Missing album artwork on iTunes.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
KDS
« Reply #264 on: February 07, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »

Beer snobs

I had a coconut porter that was damn tasty last night, but I agree there's no need to put other people down cos they enjoy a Miller Lite over a bitter IPA (porters and pilsners are better anyway, haha).

If you drink Natural Ice, then we have a problem. I'm perfectly fine drinking PBR, and I had my first Coors last night (because the coconut porter got me kind of drunk and I wanted to keep that up). Rural IL has much more affordable craft beers than the heart of Seattle, which doesn't surprise me, of course.

I tend not to drink "Ice" beer anymore.  I really used to enjoy it, but it tends to leave me with a headache. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »

There used to be this girl in college that talked with REALLY high volume, laughed loudly, too lively for my tastes. Why not keep it down, for pete's sake? She's not alone. Once I fed up by it & said "Can't you just shut up & stop blabbering?". She looked like deer in headlights. Her fault.

What else, ha. People walking & taking the whole pavement space. F.ex. 5 friends, you must literally break the wall. Kids bragging the new trend - hoverboards. In U.S. movies, it's really annoying to see people given brown paper bags in food shop. It's handle-free, i.e. difficult to carry AND it's paper which can tear fast. Here, it's plastic bags. Best bag is noisy type, not smooth. The former can withstand, say, 10 kg (of course if you didn't buy sth. with sharp edges).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:15:14 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 10, 2018, 06:15:27 PM »

myKe luHv's face in their avatar is a total WTF.  Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »

In U.S. movies, it's really annoying to see people given brown paper bags in food shop. It's handle-free, i.e. difficult to carry AND it's paper which can tear fast. Here, it's plastic bags.

I don't remember many movies that had scenes in grocery stores or supermarkets - only one I can think of off the top of my head is Shawshank Redemption, which took place before plastic bags were used. But again, you have seen a lot more movies than I have.
In a growing number of US cities, plastic bags have been banned for environmental reasons. They can't be recycled easily. They haven't been banned in my city yet. The southern US (with the exception of Austin, Texas), has been very "backward" on anything dealing with the environment.
I sometimes go to stores that use plastic bags. I reuse them to get rid of cat poop from the litter pan. I've noticed that the plastic bags are rather flimsy, often with tiny holes in the bottom, so have to stick an extra bag inside to keep the used cat litter from leaking out.
I do get paper bags at some stores and these bags have handles. For heavier groceries the clerk double bags it (puts one bag inside another). However the handles sometimes fail, so I am very careful if the bag contains eggs or an item made of glass.
I do have some canvas tote bags that can be used to put groceries in, and really should use those more.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 16, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »

Every grocery store I've seen here for the past 20 years or store uses paper bags with handles (as well as plastic bags in many/most stores, depending on specific environmental regulations). I think handle-less paper grocery bags are a relic of the past for the most part.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2018, 07:02:40 PM »

However the handles sometimes fail
They should, really - it's paper. Why even bother carve handles in paper bags? Beats me. I'd seen movie as recent as 2012 & it depicts the year it's made too. But, the character carried it with hands. I didn't see handles showing up there. Then again, it's mere movie.

To add:

- public etiquette lack such as people busy talking by the phone, texting in the middle of walkers' path, PDA, careless bicycle riders/ roller skaters/ skateboarders, people working with shoulders to get thru, spitting in the street etc. (me & Emily discussed it via messages, she brought her example about sitting in the train sandwiched between pair making out, when she was about to leave she had to tell them to let her go. Despite me & Emily being, I think, completely different, glad to get to consensus that it's impolite behavior)
- people changing last names, esp. women. I can see if she'd like to change stupid/ ugly/ the like last name but seems they think if they marry they must change it. Smb. should tell them it's not obligation.
- people dragging their private problems into workplace, telling it everybody as if they care (me & Mikie in emails agreed it's annoying as hell)

Btw, subscribed to some nice U.S. lady's FB & discovered such thing as Festivus & "air grievances" tradition. When I read her FB friends' replies, it seemed similar to pet peeves.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2018, 07:56:25 PM »

- people dragging their private problems into workplace, telling it everybody as if they care (me & Mikie in emails agreed it's annoying as hell)
One of my former co-workers was like this. Nice enough guy, but every time I came into work he would ask how I was, only because I would reply, "Well. how are you doing?" and then have him explain how horrible his day has been. Basically, he only asked how I was to start a conversation about him. Oh well..

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »

I had a coworker like that, too. For years, she would jump at every chance to ask “how are you?” only because soon after, she could vomit everything about—and, apparently synonymously, everything wrong with—her life. Sore back. Menstrual cramps. Intestinal discomfort. Landlord issues. The precise complaint behind a doctor’s appointment requiring an afternoon off.

Eventually, courtesy be damned, I just stopped asking.

“How are you?”

“Fine.”

(Walks away in silence.)

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 18, 2018, 01:01:49 AM »

Examples the 2 of you brought tell that this tendency is popular around the world.

I'd like to bring the dialog with Emily, it's related to this thread. 1st asked her about if it's OK & acceptable to befriend co-workers, lunch together (dining out in restaurant at business meeting aside) at the break etc., if such behavior is usual thing in U.S. I said people at work must not befriend anybody, it isn't professional. She answered:

This can be a challenge. If you work somewhere for years, you will end up being friends with some people, but you do have to be careful to not show preferences, particularly if you manage other people, of course. It is common in the US to go to lunch together in groups from work.

The next question was inspired by observations here that, if somebody goes with name & last name, f.ex. Cam Mott, you refer to them by 1st name. I told Emily it's familiarity, if the poster's name is "Custom Machine", don't you think it's polite to say "Mr. Machine", then Mr. Mott, Mr. Jude (this or full username)? Esp. since poster "Cam Mott" is senior, don't you call senior people Mr. & M(r)s. in the U.S. to pay respect?

Emily's answer:

The US is pretty casual. I usually will say Mr. xx the first few times I talk to someone, but once it becomes friendly back and forth a few times, I will change to the first name. But at work, for instance, everyone goes by first names always. No one calls anyone Mr. or Ms. X at work. And if you meet a client or vendor or someone, you will usually introduce yourself with first name only "hi, nice to meet you; I'm Emily" like that, then you use first names.
Normally here it's only people much older you use Mr. or Ms.

I think on a message board we are all meant to be peers, in which case we all go by first name, regardless of age. Also we often don't know what someone's actual name is. So when I first got here, I called Cam Mott 'Cam Mott' because I didn't know if his user name was his real name or just two random words, or what. Then when I learned it was his name, I say 'Cam' not 'Cameron' because 'Cam' is the name he gave. So if someone introduces themselves to me as 'Billy' I'll call them 'Billy'. If they introduce themselves as 'William' I'll call them 'William.' It's only some few hierarchical situations in which we would still use Mr. or Ms. Student/teacher, for sure. Usually your friend's parents if you are young and usually when greeting someone you have not met with which you have a business meeting. Though usually you will switch to first names quickly if you will have an ongoing business relationship. Sales people will often use Mr. or Ms. as well.  

Regarding Cam Mott specifically, he hasn't

Reading the 1st answer, it made me ask her if people at work can't eat alone (actually, now that I mentioned it, it's broader: people really can't go alone to eat in cafe, can't go to the pictures alone etc. which is funny-peculiar).

She said:

I sometimes definitely prefer to eat alone. But now and then I like to go out with colleagues to eat as well. No one minds if you go out alone to eat, but if you eat in a cafeteria it's considered rude/weird to eat alone. I don't know why and sometimes I find it tiresome. I suppose everyone does, but it's a social expectation. US workplaces put a lot of emphasis on being a "team" and a "team player" etc.

It's been year-plus since this dialog, I see the point now about message boards/ 1st names/ peers. But - it's big but - it isn't right/ competent to use these "Katyenka", "Yulechka", "Sashenka", "Anechka". At work it must be "Ekaterina Andreevna", "Yuliya Stepanovna", "Alexandra Denisovna", "Anna Kirillovna".
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:08:54 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 18, 2018, 05:34:26 AM »

I'd like to bring the dialog with Emily, it's related to this thread.

Are you still in touch with Emily? She made some great posts in her day...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2018, 04:37:34 PM »

We're those quotes from posts she made or pm's? Just curious.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: