-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:04:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 176743 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2016, 07:16:23 AM »

And it's worth noting that fear is a very personal thing. Opening cardboard packages sends shivers up my spine but I couldn't possibly explain why.
KDS
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »

And it's worth noting that fear is a very personal thing. Opening cardboard packages sends shivers up my spine but I couldn't possibly explain why.

For me, spiders. 

I also have irrational fear / anxiety about concerts.  When I go to a show, especially if it's a long distance, I check to make sure I have the tickets every few minutes. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2016, 07:26:25 AM »

edit
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:51:04 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »

My current pet peeve - summer colds.   I got one last week.  It's a mild cold, but it WON'T GO AWAY. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2016, 07:56:07 AM »

girls using super-old trick - telling they're very ugly when they're obviously pretty. I say, "Yes, you're very ugly, mug like yours can make people double over to avoid the glimpse of your freakface".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2016, 04:55:26 AM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I get really riled by people who write <it's> when they mean <its>:

<It's quite credible> requires an apostrophe, <assess its credibility> does not!

And this mistake is made everywhere, even on BBC web pages... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2016, 05:32:07 AM »

Absolutely, John K!

It's so pervasive that when I read something like "put back in its proper place" it looks wrong. So used to seeing "put back in it's proper place."

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2016, 02:56:41 AM »

edit: filledeplage explained.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:48:52 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2016, 03:07:54 AM »

When people write "my friend and I", "my wife and I", "[name] and I". What is this, showing respect? Can't they say "me & my friend", "me & [somebody else]" etc.? F.ex., let's say you attended BBs show with your friends & next thing you do is share it quickly in your blog/message board/facebook etc. Since this is *your* story, *you* post it, then I think it'd be logical if you started with yourself - "Today me & my friends were at a BBs show...".
It's in correct grammar.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2016, 05:31:05 AM »

When people write "my friend and I", "my wife and I", "[name] and I". What is this, showing respect? Can't they say "me & my friend", "me & [somebody else]" etc.? F.ex., let's say you attended BBs show with your friends & next thing you do is share it quickly in your blog/message board/facebook etc. Since this is *your* story, *you* post it, then I think it'd be logical if you started with yourself - "Today me & my friends were at a BBs show...".
Range Rover - I have to first compliment you on your written English.  It is very good.  English, is a very tough language with a million rules and exceptions to the rules.

These are subject pronouns:  (for singular) I, you, he/she/it (for plural) We, you, they.

Subject pronouns are used with the main verb or predicate - so it would be My wife and I (because it could be substituted for "We")

And we have object pronouns that are used with objects of the prepositions (such as above, below, in, among, etc.)

They are: Me, you, him/her/it (for singular) and, (us, you, them) - and they are used in phrases that don't have a subject and a predicate. 

It is the was it is in "use" and not the way it may "sound" - We only use subject pronouns when in the use of a subject-predicate and object pronouns for objects or prepositions or direct and indirect objets. 

So, to use your example, it is, "Today my friends and I were at at a BB show." The I refers to the subject of the sentence - agreeing in "number" with the verb "were." You could substitute this..."We were at a BB show."  And it refers to the "way it is used" and not "how it sounds."   Hope that helps.  English is a really difficult language.  You do very well with it.   Wink

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2016, 05:39:32 AM »

Thank you, 'plage (edit: & jo'). I appreciate your compliment. English ruling is very difficult indeed. But on 3rd read I understood what you posted. Thanks, that helps. 3D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:44:01 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2016, 05:40:05 AM »

Range Rover - I have to first compliment you on your written English.  It is very good. * * * English is a really difficult language.  You do very well with it.   Wink

I'll echo that. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2016, 05:55:08 AM »

Thank you, 'plage (edit: & jo'). I appreciate your compliment. English ruling is very difficult indeed. But on 3rd read I understood what you posted. Thanks, that helps. 3D

You are most welcome.   Wink
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2016, 03:38:39 AM »

I suppose the thing that irks me most these days (on this forum) is the tiresome business of "please delete my account". (One ex-poster has even called himself "please delete my account"!) Just leave if you must, for goodness' sake----why make a circus act out of it? It's only the internet, after all.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2016, 02:50:29 PM »

I just saw this and noticed that the responses focused on the 'I' vs. 'me' while I think your post was talking about sequence.
There's no grammatical rule about whether the personal pronoun goes first or second. It's just custom. With the first person singular personal pronoun, for some reason, it's almost always second and sounds very strange placed first, but again, that's just custom, not a rule.

So
Jane and I went to the store - correct and customary
I and Jane went to the store - correct but not customary
She and Jane went to the store -correct and customary
Jane and she went to the store - correct and customary

He gave tickets to me and Jane - correct and customary
He gave tickets to Jane and me - correct and customary
He gave tickets to Jane and her - correct and customary
He gave tickets to her and Jane - correct and customary
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »

I suppose the thing that irks me most these days (on this forum) is the tiresome business of "please delete my account". (One ex-poster has even called himself "please delete my account"!) Just leave if you must, for goodness' sake----why make a circus act out of it? It's only the internet, after all.

Agreed. I  didn't delete the account in case said posted changed their mind. I did do it as a "ban" just so that if said poster logs in, they can see a message saying why I didn't delete the account and to contact me if they changed their mind so I can reinstate them

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »

2Emily: That too, though 1st things 1st I was curious why people can't say "me & my friends" if they can say "me too" (instead of "I too"), "that's her" (instead of "that's she"). Many posters I observed writing this, f.ex. Rocker said before "me & my friends". What filledeplage said is right but wouldn't it be correct when smb. says "I grew up to be shortie" to reply with "I too", as it agrees with the previous human? Why it's suddenly "me too"? If they can use it, then by logic I assumed that "me & my friends" is allowed as well. or maybe it's dumb logic. Carry on.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2016, 04:36:25 PM »

2Emily: That too, though 1st things 1st I was curious why people can't say "me & my friends" if they can say "me too" (instead of "I too"), "that's her" (instead of "that's she"). Many posters I observed writing this, f.ex. Rocker said before "me & my friends". What filledeplage said is right but wouldn't it be correct when smb. says "I grew up to be shortie" to reply with "I too", as it agrees with the previous human? Why it's suddenly "me too"? If they can use it, then by logic I assumed that "me & my friends" is allowed as well. or maybe it's dumb logic. Carry on.
Both of those are examples of convention defying what's grammatically correct.
If you are saying, "that also applies to me," then "me too" would be correct. But if you are saying "I think so too," then "I too" would be correct. Of course the convention is to use "me too" in either case; not sure why.
In the case of "that is she" vs. "that is her," "that is she" would always be correct, but is never used. There are examples with "this" where the structure is used correctly, though. Most people on the phone, if someone says, "may I speak with Emily?" will answer "this is she" rather than "this is her." In that case, they would be being both conventional and correct.

My dad always made fun of his high school English teacher for a really, really bad 'poetic' saying she made them memorize, though I'll note that it's effective enough that he remembered it, I remember it, and my daughter probably will, too:

We may all laugh at he
Who takes an object with the verb to be.
  (This is the first time in my life I've wanted to use a vomiting emoji).

Consequently, whenever I called him, I would say "'tis I, papa" in a bogus English accent. But, yes, the correct but rarely used form is "it is I" not "it's me."

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 28, 2016, 05:18:22 PM »

One of my pet peeves is when somebody asks a question, then argues about the answer.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2016, 05:29:12 PM »

If you are saying, "that also applies to me," then "me too" would be correct. But if you are saying "I think so too," then "I too" would be correct. Of course the convention is to use "me too" in either case; not sure why.
In the case of "that is she" vs. "that is her," "that is she" would always be correct, but is never used. There are examples with "this" where the structure is used correctly, though. Most people on the phone, if someone says, "may I speak with Emily?" will answer "this is she" rather than "this is her." In that case, they would be being both conventional and correct.

My dad always made fun of his high school English teacher for a really, really bad 'poetic' saying she made them memorize, though I'll note that it's effective enough that he remembered it, I remember it, and my daughter probably will, too:

We may all laugh at he

Consequently, whenever I called him, I would say "'tis I, papa" in a bogus English accent. But, yes, the correct but rarely used form is "it is I" not "it's me."
I knew that these are correct, then my logic was correct - very glad to be confirmed that I was right, at least the bigger half of it. Thank you, Emily. Then going by that rule, to use my example "I grew up to be shortie", the agreement with that statement will be "that applies to me", i.e. the fitting reply would be "Me too", not "I too". Understood. Now let me ramble on - what you say makes sense regarding "conventional outweighed correct", it's habitual to say "that's her/him/them/us", just as switching light on/off etc. is habitual. But it puzzles that in the 1st place people would use sth. other than "she/he/they/we". It's strange that people decided to say it differently. That bit, the beginning, interests me. To get back to the "me & my friends" vs. "my friends & I" debate, I'm now informed, with help of filledeplage, that the latter is correct. But many of these pet peeves are irrational & subconscious maybe, I get the root but the annoyance will not go away for a while.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »

We may all laugh at he

I knew that these are correct, then my logic was correct - very glad to be confirmed that I was right, at least the bigger half of it. Thank you, Emily. Then going by that rule, to use my example "I grew up to be shortie", the agreement with that statement will be "that applies to me", i.e. the fitting reply would be "Me too", not "I too". Understood. Now let me ramble on - what you say makes sense regarding "conventional outweighed correct", it's habitual to say "that's her/him/them/us", just as switching light on/off etc. is habitual. But it puzzles that in the 1st place people would use sth. other than "she/he/they/we". It's strange that people decided to say it differently. That bit, the beginning, interests me. To get back to the "me & my friends" vs. "my friends & I" debate, I'm now informed, with help of filledeplage, that the latter is correct. But many of these pet peeves are irrational & subconscious maybe, I get the root but the annoyance will not go away for a while.

My guess, for the "that's her" construction, is that it seems correct. I think people confuse it with a standard subject-verb-object sentence: "I tripped her," "He kissed her," etc. So if you don't think through the verb To Be being used as a linking verb, "that is her" sounds right.
Just my guess.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »

One of my pet peeves is when somebody asks a question, then argues about the answer.

Same here! That seems to be very common on the internet in general.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2016, 05:58:48 PM »

2Emily: I'll go with your initial statement that  >>In the case of "that is she" vs. "that is her," "that is she" would always be correct, but is never used.<<  To me, "that is her" doesn't sound correct but I *will* & *do* use it because I hear it in conversational English in movies, books, songs. & that's what English teachers taught us in school. But it doesn't mean that anybody cannot question it & pay attention to, right? I'm just curious how this thing evolved historically. Maybe it's as simple as smb. once said "that's her/etc." & it went to the masses.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:03:13 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2016, 06:02:16 PM »

2Emily: I'll go with your initial statement that "In the case of "that is she" vs. "that is her," "that is she" would always be correct, but is never used." To me, "that is her" doesn't sound correct but I *will* & *do* use it because I hear it in conversational English in movies, books, songs. & that's what English teachers taught us in school. But it doesn't mean that anybody cannot question it & pay attention to, right? I'm just curious how this thing evolved historically. Maybe it's as simple as smb. once said "that's her/etc." & it went to the masses.
I have no problem at all with the question being asked. It's not the sort of topic everyone enjoys, but I do!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2016, 06:15:05 PM »

I have no problem at all with the question being asked. It's not the sort of topic everyone enjoys, but I do!
Thanks for understanding, same here. To get explanations about English from native speakers, discuss it with them in real time is mighty cool - that said, maybe smb. is aware of book(s) that details on correct vs. adopted way of conversing & many other things. Would be jolly good.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:33:58 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: