-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:59:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 176761 times)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:02:40 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:05:44 AM by G-8 » Logged
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »

I can't stand being barked at by my neighbor's dog each and every time I step into my OWN back yard.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2014, 07:10:50 PM »

Beach Boys fans who have nothing good to say about the Beach Boys. That annoys me. But I'm a sucker for punishment, and I continue to come to this site.  Shocked
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2014, 06:08:06 AM »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Never did understand the relevance of time on an internet message board. A very minor peeve really. ;=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2014, 06:21:32 AM »

Just look who's back in these corners - john k! Smiley That's stupid warning, I agree. We should not forget old topics; there's some really good stuff that can cause further attention by the newbies et al.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »

Just look who's back in these corners - john k! Smiley
Yes, he's crawled out of the woodwork again.  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
KDS
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2016, 05:15:03 AM »

Pet Peeves

1.  Beer snobs

2.  Entitled milennials and Gen Y'ers

3.  Using the term "reboot" for a remake

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »

This isn't so much a pet peeve as it is a rant, but the other day when I was horribly sick (i.e. really high fever, didn't move from my bed for the entire day, nausea), my roommate was more or less complaining to my other roommates (the two that live in the second room) that she was worried she was gonna get sick and then get her boyfriend sick... Like I'm sorry but it's not like I can help it?

And then she ended up getting sick, although she wasn't nearly as bedridden as I was. She commented that she can tolerate pain well and I thought, but didn't say out loud, I don't think a fever and the need to throw up are things that you can just "shake off." I actually had it really bad and she made me feel like I was a wimp or something. I already have a short, small build and people always assume I'm weak, so this really bothered me. She then went on to explain how she ONLY ever gets sick if the person she's rooming with gets sick..... Yeah.

My roommates and I definitely agree that she has some kind of superiority complex. She's always one-upping us, apparently including when it comes to getting sick. Anyway, that's my rant.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:03:56 PM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »

That off-topics posts are not only allowed, but prevalent on SS.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2016, 02:37:54 PM »

Gravel truck speeding down the highway, spewing gravel/other projectiles all over. Sign on back of the truck Shrug - "not responsible for cracked windshields." Others give a distance to remain in back of truck - one said 300 feet! Why aren't they made to secure the tarp (if they have that) over their load?
Big peeve as I've had to completely replace my windshield 3 times in the last 10 years, and am not sure if my present dinged up windshield will pass muster when the annual inspection takes place next month.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2016, 12:09:31 PM »

Ya know what bugs me?  People who use the word "coin" (a singular noun) when they're talking about money (a plural).  It makes no sense to me.  I dig a quarter out of my pocket; I have a coin.  I dig out another quarter; now I have two coins.  Then some knucklehead informs me "Dude, you got a lot of coin there!" 

Apparently, talking about "coin" doesn't even have to involve actual coins.  "Dude, did you see what he's driving?  He obviously makes a lot of coin!"

Why not just say "money" or "cash" or "moola"?

I used to regularly visit a music board where one particular poster's favorite phrase was "coin of the rhelm".  It got annoying after the first 20 times.  Who did he think he was?  King Bob?  It's money!  Just say money!

MONEY! 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »

"moola"

Love that word! Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16GfYMuKxrY

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2016, 07:11:11 PM »

As an ecology major and someone who has to get up for work in the morning, having your roommate take a 30-minute long shower in the only bathroom in your apartment is sort of annoying.

Also, people who don't ask how you are after you ask them.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2016, 08:28:21 PM »

I knew someone like that. Every time I talked to her, I would ask how her day was. She would answer my question, and then she would fall silent. It was so bizarre!

I ended up asking her out on the last day of the semester--she said yes--and then I never talked to her again.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2016, 08:41:47 PM »

edit
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:02:50 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2016, 08:49:49 PM »

As an ecology major and someone who has to get up for work in the morning, having your roommate take a 30-minute long shower in the only bathroom in your apartment is sort of annoying.
Get up earlier than her. Easy. Problem solved. 3D [don't thank me police]

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2016, 09:13:59 PM »

Get up earlier than her. Easy. Problem solved. 3D [don't thank me police]
Well, she wasn't home when I went to sleep (she has a boyfriend), so I didn't expect her to be there that early in the morning. Plus we have our schedules on a bulletin board so everyone knows when people have class/work... and her class is later than my work.
This doesn't happen often, it just annoyed me today because... it happened. But yeah, this usually isn't an issue, at least hopefully it won't be.
Also, I don't really want to wake up earlier than 6:30 in the first place... lol
And on top of that, that long in the shower is too much water. That happens a lot.
Sorry that got kind of heated. Not directed towards you. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:17:12 PM by undercover-m » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »

I knew someone like that. Every time I talked to her, I would ask how her day was. She would answer my question, and then she would fall silent. It was so bizarre!

I ended up asking her out on the last day of the semester--she said yes--and then I never talked to her again.
lol, why did you ask her out then? Do you like the mysterious type?   Roll Eyes
but yeah, it's weird. I guess I do that when I'm like really tired or moody, but usually it's just like, common courtesy to ask back, yknow?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2016, 11:00:41 PM »

Well, she wasn't home when I went to sleep (she has a boyfriend), so I didn't expect her to be there that early in the morning. Plus we have our schedules on a bulletin board so everyone knows when people have class/work... and her class is later than my work.
This doesn't happen often, it just annoyed me today because... it happened. But yeah, this usually isn't an issue, at least hopefully it won't be.
Also, I don't really want to wake up earlier than 6:30 in the first place... lol
And on top of that, that long in the shower is too much water. That happens a lot.
I don't get it - you must stand in line to wash & have this stupid schedule, yet students choose to live in strange place & say it's fun to mix in with peers? Ha. Now that's funny. HELLO? Doesn't EVERYbody like comfort? Why would ANYone deliberately move to campus/hostel/what it's called I don't care to share room with some stranger(s)? Bizarre.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:03:51 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2016, 11:13:51 PM »

I don't get it - you must stand in line to wash & have this stupid schedule, yet students choose to live in strange place & say it's fun to mix in with peers? Ha. Now that's funny. HELLO? Doesn't EVERYbody like comfort? Why would ANYone deliberately move to campus/hostel/what it's called I don't care to share room with some stranger(s)? Bizarre.
Some schools require that you live on campus some of the time; dorms are normally much cheaper than apartments and most college students even if they work full-time don't make a whole lot of money. You do what you gotta do.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2016, 11:20:31 PM »

How about staying with fam, then? Frankly, I don't see anything bad in living with fam. Some people ridicule it, I think they should respect instead. If you live in a city where you go to college or uni, same place where you went to school, why not stay with fam, then? I don't get students' need for so-called Air Quotes freedom. As if you can't be free IN the house. It's cheap. If smb. has conscience living with aunt or some distant relative & wants to pay - it's easier to make a deal with them than total strangers, albeit your age. To divide the rent cost etc. Win-win.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2016, 11:29:18 PM »

How about staying with fam, then? Frankly, I don't see anything bad in living with fam. Some people ridicule it, I think they should respect instead. If you live in a city where you go to college or uni, same place where you went to school, why not stay with fam, then? I don't get students' need for so-called Air Quotes freedom. As if you can't be free IN the house. It's cheap. If smb. has conscience living with aunt or some distant relative & wants to pay - it's easier to make a deal with them than total strangers, albeit your age. To divide the rent cost etc. Win-win.
I think a lot of people who go to college in the same town where their family lives do live at home. But if you get into a better college that's not near your family, it often makes sense to deal with the living conditions for the sake of the education. Or, if you're like me, you choose a college in a city because you're sick of living in a small(ish) town. In my case, I think I chose a lesser education for the sake of leaving the town behind.

Pet peeve: tailgaters and passing on the right.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »

I lived with cows, village resident. There isn't sight of college & university. Thus, moving to city was no-brainer. Btw, I see people say "college" in the U.S. Here, "college" is 3 yrs; it isn't higher education. Do you, yankees, differ in that dept & college lasts 5 yrs, i.e. "higher education"?

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:23 PM »

I lived with cows, village resident. There isn't sight of college & university. Thus, moving to city was no-brainer. Btw, I see people say "college" in the U.S. Here, "college" is 3 yrs; it isn't higher education. Do you, yankees, differ in that dept & college lasts 5 yrs, i.e. "higher education"?
College is "higher education" here. You finish high school at 17-18. Many people then go to college (some go later; some don't go). Full-time college can be two years (associate's degree) or four years (bachelor's degree) standard. Of course if you go part time it may take longer. If you really cram it can be shorter.
If you go for more school, it's an "advanced degree" - either a master's, a Ph.D. or a professional degree (like JD for lawyers or MD for doctors). 
Some colleges are stand-alone institutions that do not offer advanced degrees. If a college is part of an institution that does offer advanced degrees, the institution is called a university.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: