-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Books and wine
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books and wine  (Read 4445 times)
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »

Hi all,

Have any of you ever sat on your decks over the summer reading a book and sipping a glass of wine?  I have.  It is a wonderful way to spend the early evening hours of a summer night.  It is also a great way to get some fresh air.  Over the summer I read books with the word beach, ocean, lake, summer, sea, trip, sand, island and vacation in the title.  I like white wine.  What types of wines do the rest of you like?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »

Australian Shiraz or Grenache from the Mclaren Vale region of South Australia are some of the biggest bountiful juicy reds you could possibly imagine, especially from '07-'10 (dry seasons + bottle age).  Great for sipping indoors in winter or under the shade of a large tree in the afternoon of a breezy summer day.  A real pleasure.

For whites, dry Reislings or Sauv Blancs.

There is a favourite books thread around here somwhere - recently finished Wyoming Stories by E. Annie Proulx

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:07:22 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:37:50 PM »

Drinking--especially, but not exclusively, wine--and reading are two of my favorite pastimes.

For the wine, I like barberas, chiantis, dolcettos, and pinot noirs, though I'm certainly not picky enough to be snobbish. Most any even remotely decent red will do.

For the books, I'd say check out the "what are you reading?" (or whatever it's called) thread. And yes, sitting outside in summer (especially in a place like here, where our opportunities are limited) is a great time for both reading and drinking. I've got nothing good to read at the moment--I suspect my mind is just restless and impatient, as happens sometimes--but I look forward to my next great find so I can get slightly, then significantly, tipsy while I get lost in it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 03:12:11 AM »

Here's the link to the whatcha reading thread - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10277.0.html - enjoy

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 06:01:33 AM »

...and don't forget Mary's own "Reading" thread. Although it started talking specifically about the BBs books, further it got broader on genres.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »

Hi all,

I like all types of white wines.  I do drink a lot of chardonnay.  I have been known to have reisling when that was all that was available.  I do have a pino g when that is al that is offered.  If there is no white wine I have a diet soda.   
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »

Wine? This is my favourite, preferably white although red is fine. Nicely priced, and the off-license is just round the corner:

Books? In the days when I read novels my favourite authors were J.P. Donleavy (particularly the first four) and Thomas Pynchon (particularly Gravity's Rainbow). Another favourite was The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart----an amazing read. These days I read books about pop musicians.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »

I have yet to try a wine that doesn`t taste like vinegar to me. Having grown up around people who prefer cheap beer and hard liquor may have helped me to develop an unsophisticated palate where alcohol is involved.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: