gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:45:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Al Jardine ever sing falsetto?  (Read 14229 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »

I'm not sure what qualifies a "staple" - but, as far as I know - it was played quite regularly in the early to mid 80s. Maybe even earlier(/later). I've always enjoyed Jardine's voice on one of my all-time favourite songs. Smiley
To the best of my knowledge, "Runaway" had been a steady concert number during the 60s (beginning with 1963, if I recall), as well as Al sang it along with his Family & Friends band. Interestingly, at 1 point the decision was made to present the song as their new single, but it was eventually out of the question (sadly).
Del Shannon is one of my favorite singers, his classic version never can be topped. Even by Al.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2014, 01:49:06 AM »

Del Shannon is one of my favorite singers [...]
!!

Hug
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »

The Al lead from Michigan State 1966 is a great example of how live Al could sing like Brian when he wanted to.  I've always admired his range and ability to change his voice to fit the part.
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 10:52:59 AM »

I really like his version of runaway but I didn't think he came close to Brian on Papa oom mow mow. I am not sure any one can touch Brian in his highest register because it is so strong.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 12:02:59 PM »

<<Al sings falsetto when doing Runaway which was released on MiC. Not sure if that was ever a concert staple.>>

It was in 1982... every show, as I recall.  Maybe 1983, too.  It was a new arrangement, different than the 1965 version, with backing vocals and a great - I mean - great organ solo from Mike Meros.  As everyone, I am sure, knows, this was submitted to CBS as a single follow-up to Come Go With Me, in spite of being a live track  McCartney had a big hit with a live version of Coming Up in 1980, and ditto the Eagles with Seven Bridges Road, so it wasn't unheard of.  I always thought this would be a hit but, as I understand it, CBS balked at the thought of another cover song released as a single.  Ironically, for me, the live version from Jamaica 1982 sounds far better than the intended single mix.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 01:14:02 PM »

Runaway was pretty decent, now that you mention it. Brian's dancing at the Kingdome was the best part, closely followed by the organ solo.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:15:41 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »

Carl gets falsetto on the original version of Wind Chimes, though part of me thinks Brian is doubling him. either way it's absolutely sublime.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2014, 03:20:16 AM »

It's not that he never sang high - he did - it just wasn't his preferred mode and he rarely did the "Brian"-type parts live or in studio for that matter.  "Good Timin'" is a notable exception (and Carl sang maybe 40% of the BV's on that album so it makes sense).

It's likely that being the lead guitarist and (besides Bruce) being the guy in the band most likely to lose his voice, he'd save the top for when he was really needed.  He took the very top note on "Sloop John B" live IIRC, which is an absolute bitch to sing -- there are four F5s in there.  He probably was the only one that could nail it -- it makes sense he wouldn't want to have to do that live too many times in a show.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2014, 07:00:09 AM »

It's not that he never sang high - he did - it just wasn't his preferred mode and he rarely did the "Brian"-type parts live or in studio for that matter.  "Good Timin'" is a notable exception (and Carl sang maybe 40% of the BV's on that album so it makes sense).

It's likely that being the lead guitarist and (besides Bruce) being the guy in the band most likely to lose his voice, he'd save the top for when he was really needed.  He took the very top note on "Sloop John B" live IIRC, which is an absolute bitch to sing -- there are four F5s in there.  He probably was the only one that could nail it -- it makes sense he wouldn't want to have to do that live too many times in a show.

Adam, care to point out an example of a live version of SJB with Carl doing the high F? I always hear him doing a strong middle part during the chorus. Not that I'm denying he could hit that note (Surf's Up). But so could Bruce (he still sings the Fun fun fun tag).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:01:42 AM by Challenger Putney » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2014, 01:37:14 PM »

It's not that he never sang high - he did - it just wasn't his preferred mode and he rarely did the "Brian"-type parts live or in studio for that matter.  "Good Timin'" is a notable exception (and Carl sang maybe 40% of the BV's on that album so it makes sense).

It's likely that being the lead guitarist and (besides Bruce) being the guy in the band most likely to lose his voice, he'd save the top for when he was really needed.  He took the very top note on "Sloop John B" live IIRC, which is an absolute bitch to sing -- there are four F5s in there.  He probably was the only one that could nail it -- it makes sense he wouldn't want to have to do that live too many times in a show.

Adam, care to point out an example of a live version of SJB with Carl doing the high F? I always hear him doing a strong middle part during the chorus. Not that I'm denying he could hit that note (Surf's Up). But so could Bruce (he still sings the Fun fun fun tag).

You know what?  I just checked, and you're absolutely right.  I have a definite memory of Carl reaching for a top note on "Sloop," but I can't find it (except one performance where the mix is so tight I can't prove it).  It may have been on IN CONCERT in '73, which I don't seem to have on my iTunes.  He's definitely NOT singing the top note on the clip from '76 I checked on youtube.  So if he did do it, he didn't do it for very long.  If my memory isn't faulty it may have just been an interim part shuffle after Bruce left the band or something.  At any rate, it would have been the "shore" note and not the F5 in the background harmonies, which I'm chagrined to note they don't seem to have sung (so why do I have to sing this hernia-inducing note in Beach Boys tribute bands?!?).  

Another thought on Carl doing the Brian role -- he does it quite a few other times on the LIGHT ALBUM, doing the Brian falsetto counterpoint role as well on "Here Comes The Night" and "Baby Blue."  And man, he sounded terrific doing it.  But I believe that album was the only time Carl did that himself instead of allowing somebody else to be "falsetto guy".  Am I wrong about that too?  I can't think of another example off the top of my head -- not where Carl sang high per se, but where he did the "oo woo" thing that Brian or Bruce tended to do, if that makes any sense.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:39:30 PM by adamghost » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »

Just listened to the In Concert version and I'd be willing to bet--well, approximately nothing whatsoever--that Carl isn't on that highest note either in the "shore" or the other backgrounds. But these guys' voices drive me crazy, as anyone can sound like at least one other person at any given time, so it requires following parts over time, not just spot-listening. But then if you factor in whatever overdubbing is done after the fact, it makes it harder yet and puts you back at the first problem (of people sounding alike).

So in closing, I have offered nothing of use. You're welcome.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2014, 03:26:27 PM »

I've thought the "shore" note on In Concert was Al, but lately many of my thought-Al's have turned out to be Billy H.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »

We all know Al and Brian's normal singing voices were very similar (as evidenced in, for example, I Know There's An Answer, in which I only recently realised it was Al and Mike singing lead, as opposed to Brian and Mike) and Al covered Brian's bits on stages, but did he ever sing falsetto on record? Apart from a few falsettos from Bruce and in later years Carl, it was mainly all Brian, but did Al do any? Was it in his range?

COMMENT:
You've got to be kidding!?!   Of course Alan sang in falsetto -- better than any counter-tenor of the 18th century.
~swd
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »

Just listened to the In Concert version and I'd be willing to bet--well, approximately nothing whatsoever--that Carl isn't on that highest note either in the "shore" or the other backgrounds. But these guys' voices drive me crazy, as anyone can sound like at least one other person at any given time, so it requires following parts over time, not just spot-listening. But then if you factor in whatever overdubbing is done after the fact, it makes it harder yet and puts you back at the first problem (of people sounding alike).

Well, neither have I.  I'm only playing something back in my head.  I can't refer to the CD to know if I'm hallucinating it or not.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »

We all know Al and Brian's normal singing voices were very similar (as evidenced in, for example, I Know There's An Answer, in which I only recently realised it was Al and Mike singing lead, as opposed to Brian and Mike) and Al covered Brian's bits on stages, but did he ever sing falsetto on record? Apart from a few falsettos from Bruce and in later years Carl, it was mainly all Brian, but did Al do any? Was it in his range?

COMMENT:
You've got to be kidding!?!   Of course Alan sang in falsetto -- better than any counter-tenor of the 18th century.
~swd

Can you point out some pertinent examples?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »

You know what?  I just checked, and you're absolutely right.  I have a definite memory of Carl reaching for a top note on "Sloop," but I can't find it (except one performance where the mix is so tight I can't prove it).  It may have been on IN CONCERT in '73, which I don't seem to have on my iTunes.  He's definitely NOT singing the top note on the clip from '76 I checked on youtube.  So if he did do it, he didn't do it for very long.  If my memory isn't faulty it may have just been an interim part shuffle after Bruce left the band or something.  At any rate, it would have been the "shore" note and not the F5 in the background harmonies, which I'm chagrined to note they don't seem to have sung (so why do I have to sing this hernia-inducing note in Beach Boys tribute bands?!?).  

Another thought on Carl doing the Brian role -- he does it quite a few other times on the LIGHT ALBUM, doing the Brian falsetto counterpoint role as well on "Here Comes The Night" and "Baby Blue."  And man, he sounded terrific doing it.  But I believe that album was the only time Carl did that himself instead of allowing somebody else to be "falsetto guy".  Am I wrong about that too?  I can't think of another example off the top of my head -- not where Carl sang high per se, but where he did the "oo woo" thing that Brian or Bruce tended to do, if that makes any sense.

I think Carl does "Brian" ln Hot Fun in the Summertime. But, alas, most fans seem to think it's Baker.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »

Well, neither have I.  I'm only playing something back in my head.  I can't refer to the CD to know if I'm hallucinating it or not.

Right, I was being self-deprecating. I did listen to the song on CD to check, and was useless. That was my point/joke. Possibly not very successful...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:16 PM »

Runaway was pretty decent, now that you mention it. Brian's dancing at the Kingdome was the best part, closely followed by the organ solo.
Ofc, it wasn't. Admit it, no one came close to sounding like Del in the group, 'cept for Al. No Al, no "Runaway". So that's your best part you talked about.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2014, 01:37:43 AM »

Right, I was being self-deprecating. I did listen to the song on CD to check, and was useless. That was my point/joke. Possibly not very successful...

But see, I can self deprecate too!  No one gets it when I do it, either...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2014, 05:35:26 AM »

But see, I can self deprecate too!  No one gets it when I do it, either...

Damnit!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx