gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:35:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Al Jardine ever sing falsetto?  (Read 14232 times)
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »

We all know Al and Brian's normal singing voices were very similar (as evidenced in, for example, I Know There's An Answer, in which I only recently realised it was Al and Mike singing lead, as opposed to Brian and Mike) and Al covered Brian's bits on stages, but did he ever sing falsetto on record? Apart from a few falsettos from Bruce and in later years Carl, it was mainly all Brian, but did Al do any? Was it in his range?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:36 AM »

In concert, in the 1970's, Al and Carl use to switch off the falsetto parts. Don't know if Al really sang falsetto, but he sang Brian's high parts and they sounded fine. "Don't Worry Baby" was a good example of when they would switch off doing the lead vocal. Sometimes they'd sing the high parts in unison, but most of the time they shared the leads of the songs with high parts. "You Still Believe In Me" was another example of Al singing Brian's high part live in the 70's.

It was uncanny how at times Brian and Al sounded alike on some of the recordings. "Breakaway" and "Back Home" 1970 are good examples of this.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:19:50 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:49:22 AM »

Doesn't Al do the Barbara Ann falsetto on the Kenbworth recording?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »

"It's been such a long day so you better hurry home..."

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:44:15 PM »

"Loop de Loop," too, right?  Isn't part of the original recording Al doing a Brian imitation?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »

Also every live God Only Knows.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:14:53 PM by zatch » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 02:07:10 PM »

Also every live God Only Knows.

When was that?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »

On Good Vibrations Tour / It's Ok TV special he sings the falsetto on the outro chorus of California  Girls

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »

Other than "All This Is That," are there any songs with Carl doing falsetto?

We all know Al and Brian's normal singing voices were very similar (as evidenced in, for example, I Know There's An Answer, in which I only recently realised it was Al and Mike singing lead, as opposed to Brian and Mike)
I think they all do lead on that one, don't they?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:15:08 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 03:19:36 PM »

Before anyone asks, Mike does a bit of Falsetto on All I Wanna Do

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:27:07 PM »

Surf's Up (1971) and live
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:28:46 PM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »

I remember seeing a film clip on The Midnight Special in 1977 or 1978; it was the segment with Carl Wilson being interviewed by Wolfman Jack, and they showed a short clip of the band performing "Susie Cincinnati" with Al singing a high falsetto part on the tag.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »

Caroline No and Don't Worry Baby live.   Carl & Al shared the high part on Fun, Fun, Fun, especially the tag.  Also I Get Around.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »

In the late bridge section of I Can Hear Music, you clearly hear him in falsetto (though buried) singing 'music, music'

Also in the outro of Come Go With Me you hear Carl sing falsetto faintly in the distance.

Falsetto is also used in Where I Belong

surprised how little Carl falsetto there is despite him being good at it...I was surprised that I had to recall faints snippets in order to find some.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 05:47:58 PM »

Al sang a majority of the high parts from 1965-1980.  See In Concert or Knebworth.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »

It's not a Beach Boys' recording, but Carl pops up on Spring's "Forever" and sings some very high "na na's". He does the same on SIP's "Forever". I'm not sure if that reaches the level of falsetto...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »

In the late bridge section of I Can Hear Music, you clearly hear him in falsetto (though buried) singing 'music, music'

Also in the outro of Come Go With Me you hear Carl sing falsetto faintly in the distance.

surprised how little Carl falsetto there is despite him being good at it...I was surprised that I had to recall faints snippets in order to find some.

You sure that's not Al doing the fade falsetto on "Come Go With Me"? And Al sang the "California Girls" falsetto live for a long time (witness the '76 "It's OK" special).
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »

Hot Fun in the Summertime
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »

It's Brian doing falsetto on Where I Belong, I think. Other examples of Carl doing falsetto are Good Timin' and Hot Fun in the Summertime

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »

Al sang a majority of the high parts from 1965-1980.  See In Concert or Knebworth.

I beg to differ.  You're forgetting Glen Campbell (briefly) in '65 and then Bruce sang high parts from '65 to '72.  Al and Carl from '72 to '80, then Adrian Baker briefly then Foskett took over.

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »

It was uncanny how at times Brian and Al sounded alike on some of the recordings. "Breakaway" and "Back Home" 1970 are good examples of this.

He fooled Davide Leaf a couple of times on the liner notes for the Capitol two-fers. Leaf had Brian singing all but the obvious Mike lines on "I Know There's an Answer" and had Brian singing the verses on Be Here in the Morning."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »

He goes up into Falsetto all over his live versions of "Wouldn't it be Nice" doesn't he?  He used to fucking KILL that song live in the 70's. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 09:12:28 PM »

Hot Fun in the Summertime

The falsetto on "Hot Fun" is Adrian Baker. Maybe Carl reaches falsetto on a word or two, I can't remember.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 09:23:09 PM »

He goes up into Falsetto all over his live versions of "Wouldn't it be Nice" doesn't he?  He used to fucking KILL that song live in the 70's. 

They opened with that and Al sang it - yep.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx