gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 01:34:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Al Jardine ever sing falsetto?  (Read 14244 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 09:31:04 PM »

"Ooh she's so fine, what a turn on" from All Dressed Up For School
The lead in Surfer Girl, e.g. New Years Rockin' Eve 1974, Knebworth 1980, etc.

Craig Slowinski also lists Al singing falsetto parts in the follwoing:

"I'm So Young" (Today version): http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/custommusic2/craigslowinskicom.pdf#page=1 (page 28)
"I'm So Young" (alternate take): ESQ, Issue 86, Vol. 22. No. 3, p. 13
"You're So Good To Me": ESQ, Issue 84, Vol. 22, No. 1, p. 32

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:25:11 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 09:40:44 PM »

Al's sung Surfer Girl a lot - 70's, 80's......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »

Other than "All This Is That," are there any songs with Carl doing falsetto?
Hot Fun in the Summertime

The falsetto on "Hot Fun" is Adrian Baker. Maybe Carl reaches falsetto on a word or two, I can't remember.
Upon listening to it again, you're right.  For some reason I had in my head that there was an instance where Carl's lines went very high, but it seems only the second sections that are falsetto.  Then again, Summer in Paradise doesn't get heavy rotation. Cheesy
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 12:30:21 AM »

I think the OPs question was about whether he sang it on record... He says he knows he did it live.

It is surprising he didn't do more of it. But I've always found Al's strongest range is his mid range - seems to be where his voice resonates.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 03:57:21 AM »

Al sang a majority of the high parts from 1965-1980.  See In Concert or Knebworth.

I beg to differ.  You're forgetting Glen Campbell (briefly) in '65 and then Bruce sang high parts from '65 to '72.  Al and Carl from '72 to '80, then Adrian Baker briefly then Foskett took over.

Please correct if wrong, but my understanding is that -vocally- Bruce did not replace Brian's parts consistently. Al sang a lot of the highest parts even with Bruce around. I assume Alan had replaced Brian's parts consistently when he re-joined in 1963 (although I have not heard any show from that era sans Brian, with Al and David).

Regarding Hot Fun... Isn't it Carl the one to end phrase "everything is cool"?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 05:10:03 AM »

Carl does the duet falsetto with Brian in the outro of Til I Die!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »

Please correct if wrong, but my understanding is that -vocally- Bruce did not replace Brian's parts consistently. Al sang a lot of the highest parts even with Bruce around. I assume Alan had replaced Brian's parts consistently when he re-joined in 1963 (although I have not heard any show from that era sans Brian, with Al and David).

I haven't heard any early shows either, but I think you may be right about that, Leonard.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »

You guys will correct me (and rightfully so) if I'm wrong, but I believe falsetto is actually one of the easiest parts for many guys to sing.  I can do a passable falsetto, and I'm a natural baritone.  Of course, Brian's falsetto in the early years was special and better than just about anyone else I've ever heard.  Maybe Frankie Valley (sp?) came close?
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »

and maybe Barry Gibb and Lou Christie, but Brian was the master best sounding (to my ear) falsetto ever instilled in a bloke..

RickB
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »

and maybe Barry Gibb and Lou Christie, but Brian was the master best sounding (to my ear) falsetto ever instilled in a bloke..

RickB

Ah, yes, that Brother Gibb.  Those guys WERE amazing and Barry's falsetto was truly Brian Wilsonesque.  Christie did have a couple of great hit records (Lightning Striking Again was a personal favorite), but I, personally, don't have him on the same level as Brian or Barry.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 06:21:41 PM »

The thing that gets me about Brian's is just how smooth a transition he could make from his falsetto to his regular register.  I can't think of many singers who could pull off Don't Worry Baby or Wouldn't It Be Nice with such a natural blend of the two.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »

Al sang a majority of the high parts from 1965-1980.  See In Concert or Knebworth.

I beg to differ.  You're forgetting Glen Campbell (briefly) in '65 and then Bruce sang high parts from '65 to '72.  Al and Carl from '72 to '80, then Adrian Baker briefly then Foskett took over.

Yes on the first understanding, no on the second. Smiley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 07:50:07 AM »

I'd bet money that it is Carl on that line, mainly because it starts off with "and everything is..." in Carl's normal range.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »

I'd bet money that it is Carl on that line, mainly because it starts off with "and everything is..." in Carl's normal range.

Agree. What sense would it make to have Baker sing the (unnecessary, ad-lib sounding) last note of Carl's phrase. Besides, it is not like Carl could not hit it. In the live version I've seen, Carl sings the whole line but doesn't end it up high. But perhaps it's been confirmed that Baker sings that and all this talk is futile.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 02:41:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:14:41 PM by zatch » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »

mmmmm........ yeah, the second part of Carl's line and everything is cool....... cooo - hoooolllll.......... has gotta be Baker.....

no doubt in my mind....

RickB
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 08:29:35 PM »

"It's been such a long day so you better hurry home..."

"Loop de Loop," too, right?  Isn't part of the original recording Al doing a Brian imitation?

These would be obvious studio choices for me as well.

In concert...I think this is a pretty good example of his live falsetto range when he was young.

Papa Oom Mow Mow -- Michigan State 1966:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq5QJJ8nuao&index=6&list=PL6qtJ4lUEQ0IxgvbHf3gaEG0fFgMT6YDW
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 10:27:31 PM »

You guys will correct me (and rightfully so) if I'm wrong, but I believe falsetto is actually one of the easiest parts for many guys to sing.  I can do a passable falsetto, and I'm a natural baritone.  Of course, Brian's falsetto in the early years was special and better than just about anyone else I've ever heard.  Maybe Frankie Valley (sp?) came close?

Brian is in a class by himself, in my opinion.   Most guys (mine included) falsettos sound thin... the reason for that is, when you sing falsetto what you're physically doing is only using half of your vocal chords, this allows them to vibrate faster, which makes a much higher pitched sound... but it's not as strong as your full voice, or your head (singing) voice.  

Brian somehow still had a nice, full, falsetto, though, that was comparable to his full voice.  If you listen to Frankie Valli, of course he's got a fantastic voice, but his false is thin like most people's.  The Gibb brothers were the same, think of the thin way the vocals are in "Stayin' Alive" or whatever.  Then think about Brian singing "I Get Around".... or the crazy gymnastic part in "Surf's Up".  NOBODY sang falsetto that full.

Brian also had a really smooth transition between his chest voice, head voice, and falsetto, often going from falsetto to head, and then back up to falsetto in the same phrase, with no pause or break discernable.  Try it yourself; sing a note in your head voice, and then try to turn it into a falsetto note without breaking it.  Then try going out of falsetto, back down into your head voice.  

You can hear a great example of that in "Don't Worry Baby"... Nearly the whole song, he's singing back and forth, some notes are in head voice, but some syllables and words he stretches up into falsetto, and then back down into head voice.  ... and of course, on the famous run in "You Still Believe In Me", he starts in head voice, goes up into falsetto, then walks down into head voice again, and finally ends up in his chest voice.  F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C singer.

I do agree with you though, that normally falsetto is one of the easiest parts to sing, I would say that Al and Carl had the two hardest parts to sing in the group, consistently.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:29:11 PM by Ron » Logged
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2014, 07:49:36 AM »

Nothing can top vintage 60s era Brian falsetto.. what an amazing sound.

Also I mentioned this before in another thread that I think a huge part of the group's commercial decline from 69 onwards was that the magical Brian falsetto had disappeared from their new material!

I mean who else could sing like that? Nobody.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:53:57 AM by Watch a Cave » Logged
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »

Also I mentioned this before in another thread that I think a huge part of the group's commercial decline from 69 onwards was that the magical Brian falsetto had disappeared from their new material!

I had never thought about that (the disappearance of Brian's falsetto as a possible reason for the band's commercial decline), but I believe you may be onto something.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out that those beautiful falsetto parts were at least part of the reason those early Beach Boys songs became mega-hits.  The Brian falsettos and the wonderful harmonies are what made the band's sound unique – and great.  It somewhat boggles the mind to think that the Boys may have continued to crank out Top 10 records if Brian would have only kept writing and singing those falsetto parts.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »

Al sings falsetto when doing Runaway which was released on MiC. Not sure if that was ever a concert staple.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »

Al sings falsetto when doing Runaway which was released on MiC. Not sure if that was ever a concert staple.
According to this board, it was. Even though I never read Ian & Jon's concert book, other folks said it covers everything wrt BBs shows, so it's easy to say "Runaway" performance is there too.

I think it's Al who sang the falsetto on "You Still believe In Me"-1973, in unison with Carl.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2014, 07:30:40 AM »

Al sang lead on "Be Here In The Morning".  That's pretty falsetto if you ask me.  I thought Al handling Brian's high parts was also hit or miss.  His upper range just never had the warmth Brian could deliver.  And because they had to shift the vocal positions around because of this, the harmonies never really sounded good until later in the 80's and 90's when Jeff and Matt handled the high parts.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:53:37 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2014, 11:29:51 AM »

Absolutely agreed.  At the very least, it's why I prefer the 60's stuff to everything thereafter.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2014, 11:55:39 AM »

According to this board, it was. [...]
I'm not sure what qualifies a "staple" - but, as far as I know - it was played quite regularly in the early to mid 80s. Maybe even earlier(/later). I've always enjoyed Jardine's voice on one of my all-time favourite songs. Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx