-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Hidden Users
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hidden Users  (Read 40186 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 01:33:05 PM »

I think OSD and NewGuy have been hidden for quite a while now....................

Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »

2 The Real BB: 1st & foremost, I wrote down who is hidden & goes offline without being aware that it's qualified as "private information". Simply because it's not, & here's why:
 - as another poster mentioned in that "ashamed" thread, he also figured out some people going under hidden status. Therefore, it ain't difficult & means that anyone if cared would notice it. And therefore, it's not private.
- do you really think that posting this info does equal to trading others' e-mail addresses, revealing them on the board, sharing their secrets they told & just downright posting the entire messages for crowd to read, even if most of them about The BBs? Of course not.
- there's sth. wrong with your definition of "private information". I don't see anything disrespectful here, as rab2591 said. A lot of people don't give a fig who's hidden or logs off/logs in back. It's been written for fun, just to keep the conversation that was floating at the moment, that is all. No big deal, no harm done.

Now, if you still do think it's worth of lifetime ban, just like, as you stated in the past, when anyone who revives an old thread for only writing full stop, well, I don't seem to understand the logic.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 07:30:39 PM »

I don't see anything disrespectful here, as rab2591 said. A lot of people don't give a fig who's hidden or logs off/logs in back.

This doesn't surprise me, given your outlook towards your posts regarding Surfer.

Outright posting the names of those who choose to be hidden is disrespectful towards those people's privacy. This isn't rocket science.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 07:34:40 PM »

Outright posting the names of those who choose to be hidden is disrespectful towards those people's privacy. This isn't rocket science.

Exactly. If the person is hidden, they have the right to remain so. That's the whole point of it to begin with!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 07:40:51 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:36:00 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »

Delete that post then and let's forget this ever happened.

Seriously, all this is doing is drawing attention to the post. If the problem is really with the list, then just delete it.
Besides, posting anything about who's hidden isn't listed anywhere in the rules. I think if a ban were really in order, it oughtta be worthy enough to have been listed in the rules.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »

This doesn't surprise me, given your outlook towards your posts regarding Surfer.

What posts toward Surfer have anything to do with this situation? Are you going to bring it up every single time when I post, in your opinion, sth. wrong? It's old news.

So what dysfunction does this board have at the time, when I revealed names of hidden users? It's not a "privacy", not even close. Think logically before writing such stuff. Also, why Smile Holland didn't say anything about it, when I posted this info in that referenced topic? Why no one explained me at the time all this, but rather discuss it now?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 07:57:15 PM »

What posts toward Surfer have anything to do with this situation? Are you going to bring it up every single time when I post, in your opinion, sth. wrong? It's old news.

So what dysfunction does this board have at the time, when I revealed names of hidden users? It's not a "privacy", not even close. Think logically before writing such stuff. Also, why Smile Holland didn't say anything about it, when I posted this info in that referenced topic? Why no one explained me at the time all this, but rather discuss it now?

Your comments about Surfer relate to this situation in the sense that you've carried on an obvious pattern of disrespect towards fellow posters and you've been so flippant about it when you've been called out.

If people choose to be hidden, it means they want privacy. It means they don't want their whereabouts known on the board. Posting the names of people who have chosen to be hidden is disrespectful. That is my point. It's not that hard to understand. Maybe it is for some people. I don't care if there hasn't been any "dysfunction" here because of your actions - that's not the point. The point is you should respect other members privacy.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »

But they already have privacy, given no one really knows what thread they are viewing now & then (i.e. "whereabouts"). That's the point. We cannot possibly see who is that +1 hidden in the certain topic. Amirite?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 08:11:46 PM »

But they already have privacy, given no one really knows what thread they are viewing now & then (i.e. "whereabouts"). That's the point. We cannot possibly see who is that +1 hidden in the certain topic. Amirite?

Does what threads they view really matter? Perhaps these "hidden" users don't want others to know they use the hidden function - this is a matter of privacy as well.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »

this is a matter of privacy as well
I doubt so. I've always taken that, as I've said in the #1 reply, people hide themselves for viewing the topics safely, without anyone following them (and I know for a fact some people here do that). It's silly to say that using the hidden function can be considered a private thing, because it's obvious when they write sth. minutes after your post & their account reads "offline". So it's not anymore a secret, it's self-revealing.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »

If they want to remain hidden, why not respect that?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 08:28:29 PM »

Computer Smash!

Just because hidden users are easily recognizable does not make my point any less valid. MOTHER OF GOD IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS DIFFICULT TO GRASP.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »

I respect other aspects of the Smilers, but on this case, I've made that list just for fun, w/o any evil intention.

2 rab2591: you're arguing just for arguing's sake now. My point was no less valid too. Let's be honest, if it were one of your friends on the board, would you react in the same way? Not sure.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »

I respect other aspects of the Smilers, but on this case, I've made that list just for fun, w/o any evil intention.

2 rab2591: you're arguing just for arguing's sake now. My point was no less valid too. Let's be honest, if it were one of your friends on the board, would you react in the same way? Not sure.

Actually I guarantee that I would react the same way. Only I guarantee that anyone I get along with here would have the common decency/sense to acknowledge that being discourteous towards other member's privacy is a rather uncouth thing to do. End of discussion. I'm out.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 08:59:30 PM »

You sound like a know-it-all, judging my actions/defending others like a holy savior or sth. If I'm concerning you/my posts rub you the wrong way, would it suffice for you to just ignore me? Zach worked on making this feature on another thread. All the needful instructions there.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »

Regardless of what your intentions were, it was still the wrong thing to do.

Jason
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 06:53:16 AM »

If members should have a right to see who is hidden on the board, does that not mean they should also have the right to see a member's hidden email address or IP address? The fact that you even have a list is indicative of some shady behavior on your part.

Banned for seven days.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:56:08 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 07:33:30 AM »

It doesn't concern me too much if someone knows if I login invisibly or not. It's just that the behaviour is kind of stalker-ish that gets to me.
Jason
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 07:44:57 AM »

There was a situation on here a while back in which a member DID stalk another member and the mods had to take action. We take privacy VERY seriously. As far as I'm concerned if you don't want your online status to be visible to the board, then so be it. The only reason someone would care endlessly if you're online or not would be if they are a stalker.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:46:53 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »

So does it mean that RRA1 is unbanned now that Jason has resigned as a mod?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:13:36 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »

Maybe.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »

As there haven't been any RRA1 posts since 8;53 AM this morning, I'm not betting against the ban

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »

Jason wanted it lifetime.  I disagreed with that, but felt a week was warranted as it was first offense.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2014, 04:09:28 PM »

For the record, as someone named in the "views while logged out" post, it is pretty creepy--or at best, fucking weird--that someone would look into and then post about how other people view a message board. Doesn't bother me a lot, but it makes me contort my face into an expression mixing moderate revulsion with amusement.

As far as bans and such, frankly as long as people can talk about music instead of how repressed they are, how much flak they take, or what silly little quarrels they're in (and with whom), I don't care one way or the other. It's a shame this place is a junior high school.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: