gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:01:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #35 Winner: From There To Back Again  (Read 106656 times)
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: May 30, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »

Summer's Gone
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 30, 2014, 11:10:49 PM »

Summer's Gone doesn't quite land the emotional punch it's going for - From There to Back Again certainly does though. Smiley

I feel the opposite...so that's why I'm voting for "Summer's Gone". Smiley

(I don't mean to be morbid, but that's probably the first song I'll listen to when BW passes...)

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #452 on: May 31, 2014, 04:17:58 AM »

Just re-listened to the album (for the first time in ages) and I'm now going to change my vote:

Summer's Gone (replacing From Here To Back Again, which has far more unpleasant autotune than I'd remembered)

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 31, 2014, 04:56:24 AM »

Summer's Gone
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #454 on: May 31, 2014, 06:02:13 AM »

FTTBA
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 31, 2014, 06:37:12 AM »

Summer's Gone's emotion sounds a bit phoned in, put on for the sake of having a dramatic finale for the comeback album to appease critics. It's okay, but From There to Back Again brims with a certain type of magic that has otherwise laid dormant for a good 40 years. I can't see myself voting for anything but.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 31, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »

Tally in a few minutes. Good to see you back in time to vote hal.
Thanks for the warm welcome, friend.
Summer's Gone doesn't quite land the emotional punch it's going for - From There to Back Again certainly does though. Smiley

I feel the opposite...so that's why I'm voting for "Summer's Gone". Smiley

(I don't mean to be morbid, but that's probably the first song I'll listen to when BW passes...)
I don't mean to be morbid, but what if you die before Brian Wilson ? I wonder what Brian will listen to...
Actually, I probably meant to be morbid right there. I don't mean to be morbid is just an expression.

If I do die before him, maybe I'll have it arranged for a CD of some of my music to be sent to him...  Smokin

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 31, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »

From There to Back Again

Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 31, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »

From There To Back Again
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 31, 2014, 03:15:53 PM »

Summer's Gone's emotion sounds a bit phoned in, put on for the sake of having a dramatic finale for the comeback album to appease critics.
I get where you're coming from and if I hadn't read about both Brian's coming to terms with turning seventy years old (wondering to himself where the time went) and deciding to include a snippet of his last conversation with his dying brother in the lyric, I may have agreed.

But seeing as I did read all about that (and seeing as I'm willing to give Brian the benefit of the doubt that all of that is true), I have to conclude that "Summer's Gone" is absolutely heartfelt.

But I shouldn't stray too far off-topic.  I already cast my vote (and besides, no one is going to blame you for voting FTtBA). Smiley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 31, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »

Which lyric was inspired by his last conversation with Carl? That's something I hadn't heard before.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 31, 2014, 10:35:07 PM »

Which lyric was inspired by his last conversation with Carl? That's something I hadn't heard before.
Unless I'm remembering it incorrectly, I believe one of the articles published around the time of TWGMTR's release mentioned that the lyric "It’s time to go/I’m thinking maybe I’ll just stay" was born of one of their final exchanges.

I wish I could link you to a source, but I can't recall exactly where we heard it.  Anyway, the gist was, there was a conversation which acknowledged that Carl's time was short, with Brian coming to terms with being the last Wilson brother left and finding the strength to carry on.

Edit:  I did some digging.  Jason Fine's "The Fragile Beach Boys Reunion" article.  Rolling Stone June 21, 2012 issue, pg. 57.  Charlie Sheen cover.

"The final segment of the suite, "Summer's Gone," started from a conversation Wilson had with his brother Carl shortly before he died.  (Wilson's mother had passed away two months earlier, and Brian was dealing with the fact that he might end up the last surviving member of the Wilson family.)

According to Thomas, Carl had planned to record a song for Imagination.  But when Brian visited, Carl told him "You know, Brian, I'm not going to be able to make it."  Brian's response was unusual.  "He told me his last words to Carl were 'I think I'm going to stay for a while.'"  says Thomas.  "I mean, what a weird and emotional thing to say: 'I know you've got to go, but I'm gonna stay for a while.'"

Edit 2:  Looks as though even while the cover states "The Fragile Beach Boys Reunion," the article is actually called "The Beach Boys' Last Wave."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beach-boys-last-wave-20120621

Apologies for any confusion.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:24:12 PM by Generation42 » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 31, 2014, 11:13:18 PM »

Thanks G42. I'll have to locate that issue. Smiley
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 31, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »

Thanks G42. I'll have to locate that issue. Smiley
Think nothing of it. Happy to help. Smiley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 01, 2014, 08:03:30 AM »

Yeah, although I doubt it will make much of a difference, sentiment is prompting me to change my vote to SG.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #465 on: June 01, 2014, 08:32:45 AM »

I had already voted for Summer's Gone, but didn't know the story behind it with Carl. Incredibly sad and helps make the song all the more powerful
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 01, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »

Whew . Possibly the most perfect final three in the entire Survivor series.

Having gone for FTT&BA throughout, I'm suddenly remembering hearing the album for the first time.

Summer's Gone. And with it, the finest band ever to grace rock and roll (until the next time!).

“We live in divisive times.”
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 01, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »

Pacific Coast Highway. A linking song that also stands alone despite its brevity. Still the tune from TWGMTR that has the heaviest emotional impact, for me anyway.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 01, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »

Pacific Coast Highway. A linking song that also stands alone despite its brevity. Still the tune from TWGMTR that has the heaviest emotional impact, for me anyway.
Me too.  Nice way to put it Moon Dawg.  Thanks for the link Generation42.  Now I will always be reminded of Carl more when I listen.  They are all beautiful, but my vote for the one I like best is:
"Pacific Coast Highway"

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 01, 2014, 12:55:19 PM »

Tally within the hour.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 01, 2014, 01:07:57 PM »

Summers gone

SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 01, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »

From There To Back Again.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 01, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »

Finally here we are. The final regular round of Beach Boys Survivor. Please remember as we vote to respect other people's opinions. Lets have fun!

That's Why God Made the Radio is the twenty-ninth studio album by American rock band The Beach Boys, released on June 5, 2012 on Capitol. Produced by Brian Wilson, the album was recorded to coincide with the band's 50th anniversary, and is the first to feature original material since the release of Summer in Paradise in 1992.[2] The album is also the first to feature guitarist and backing vocalist David Marks since the release of Little Deuce Coupe in 1963. It is also the first Beach Boys album to be made since the 1998 death of lead guitarist and vocalist Carl Wilson and to feature both David Marks and Bruce Johnston.
Preceded by the single "That's Why God Made the Radio", the album reached number 3 on the Billboard 200 and was their highest charting studio album of new material since 1965, placing them second all-time with longest span of top 10 albums at 49 years (The Beatles would tie that record with On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2 the following year). Frank Sinatra holds the record at 52 years of top 10 albums.

Pacific Coast Highway has closed with only 8 smilers traversing upon it. 

Summer won't be Gone for a few months yet, but here in Survivor the sun has set and autumn is on it's way. (14)

Overwhelmingly, the winner with 26 votes....

From There to Back Again

Round#1 - Beaches in Mind May 14
Round#2 - Daybreak Over the Ocean May 16
Round#3 - The Private Life of Bill and Sue May 18
Round#4 - Shelter May 20
Round#5 - Spring Vacation May 22
Round#6 - Think About the Days May 24
Round#7 - Strange World May 26
Round#8 - That's Why God Made the Radio May 28
Round#9 - Isn't It Time May 30
Round#10 - Pacific Coast Highway June1
Round#10 - Summer's Gone June 1

Stay tuned sometime in the next few hours for the beginning of FOUR ROUNDS of...

SMILEY-SMILE DOT NET BEACH BOYS SUPER SURVIVOR!!!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 01, 2014, 09:40:38 PM »

cool now let's do all the solo albums... (including First Love and Country Love) just for the heck of it...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 01, 2014, 10:01:17 PM »

cool now let's do all the solo albums... (including First Love and Country Love) just for the heck of it...

We'll get there, but we have Super Survivor and Ultimate Survivor to hit first.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx