gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:50:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #34 Winner: Soul Searchin'  (Read 68484 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2014, 09:49:34 AM »

Soul Searchin

Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »

You’re Still a Mystery

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2014, 02:30:21 PM »

Soul Searchin'

Three great tracks, only faults are Brian's vocal on YSAM isn't great and the drums on California' Dreamin.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »

Tally is a-comin' 'round the moun'en.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »

Welcome Smilers to the fifth and final Odds 'N' Ends Beach Boys survivor!

Time to get going on this. As last time we are only including songs that were either:

a) previously unreleased OFFICIAL tracks
b) tracks not included on an album (ie Crocodile Rock)

Live recordings or booted material not yet officially released (ie Life is For the Living) are not included. 1980 - present

California Dreamin' turned into a bit of a nightmare for the 5 smilers who voted for it. (5)

You're Still A Mystery remains just that... A Mystery. (16)

The winner of the FINAL ODDS N ENDS ROUND of BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR (barely scraping by for the win with 17 votes) is...

Soul Searchin’

Round#1 - Living Doll  (http://youtu.be/YYJEsTplKvc) May 14
Round#1 - Lady Liberty May 14
Round#2 - Crocodile Rock May 16
Round#2 - Happy Endings (http://youtu.be/M3hNuvhQsCw) May 16
Round#3 - Problem Child (http://youtu.be/9EeSuuCwaQ4) May 18
Round#3 - East Meets West (http://youtu.be/FJ12pAM9Ujc) May 18
Round#4 - Chasin’ the Sky May 20
Round#4 - Da Doo Run Run (http://youtu.be/HoPMARU_v_8) May 20
Round#5 - Do It Again (2012) May 22
Round#5 - Why Don’t They Let Us Fall In Love May 22
Round#6 - R’n’R to the Rescue May 24
Round#6 - Goin’ to the Beach May 24
Round#7 - California Dreamin’ May 26
Round#7 - You’re Still a Mystery May 26

Stay tuned for the end of BBS#35, when we will begin the SUPER SURVIVOR ROUNDS!

3D
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2014, 08:42:02 PM »

A little disappointing, because although a good performance I don't think it's nearly as interesting a song as YSAM.  At any rate we're almost done!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »

An expected win. Though I'm glad Soul Searchin' won instead of YSAM
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »

Really don't like the bgv arrangement on this version of Soul Searchin'... is it sinful to say I prefer the GIOMH version  Shrug

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2014, 11:30:49 PM »

Don't really 'get' Soul Searchin'. To me, it sounds like a Brian solo record trying (and failing) to sound like the Beach Boys. Yeah, I know this version actually was the Beach Boys, but that's still how it sounds to me...

YSAM is a vastly superior song.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 27, 2014, 08:26:01 AM »

Really don't like the bgv arrangement on this version of Soul Searchin'... is it sinful to say I prefer the GIOMH version  Shrug

I agree, the bgv in this version are over the top, they distract you from the 'oooh oooh ooooooooh' Carl has in the second verse.
Sometimes less is more, but by 1996(?) the group had come full circle to parodying itself and so harmonies and other 'beach boys typicals' had to be spread far and wide.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »

Of coursen't. I'm the same, also I prefer Brian on middle 8 than Carl, by a wide margin.

I'm quite the opposite -- I very much favor the way Carl sings the middle 8.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2014, 10:57:18 AM »

I am fine with this going to "Soul Searching" by just one vote.  Sounds about right.  Another win for Carl.  And a well deserved win for Andy.  More of his work with Brian should be released officially.  Now, for all of us who could not afford all the boots.  We have youtube, but I don't want to get them that way.  Clean 'em up best you can and give us what we want.  Alan, Mark, powers that be...make it happen soon.
I couldn't figure out which one to vote best.  I played GIOMH on Saturday night, working on a review - which will be very positive.  I like the MIC version better.  Brian's version is good too, but MIC's sounds more like The Beach Boys, though it's basically the same.  Brian didn't need to add anything to it.  Man, I'm getting my money's worth with that box set.  I play something from it nearly every day.
[/color]
This was a great round.  Thanks as always to pixletwin's time and work.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »

Of coursen't. I'm the same, also I prefer Brian on middle 8 than Carl, by a wide margin.

I'm quite the opposite -- I very much favor the way Carl sings the middle 8.
Agreed!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »

I like You're Still A Mystery. It's a nice song with a nice arrangement, but when I was counting the votes and it looked like it was going to win I was getting bummed. It has almost no point of momentum.  Unlike Soul Searchin'. I am very pleased with the results of this round.

I just finished writing the tracklist and post disclaimer for the SUPER Survivor rounds.  I decided (just in the interest of symmetry) to add Morning Christmas to the line up (since it technically did survive the 70's Christmas titles) and got each era squared away with 9 tracks each.

I can't wait to get started! 3D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:40:54 PM by pixletwin » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »

It looked to me like the admins were keeping the active threads in General and moving them after the winners were announced to the Poll section. I'll start them here and if the mods move them there, that's cool.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »

Lookin' fwd to Soopa Survivor!!! Let's play hard!

My only regret is Good Vibrations is missing and I know I didn't help there - A couple of weeks ago I was indulging in a little self motivated GV project and spent some time listening to the sessions and final track renewing my interest and deep appreciation for this fine beast.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2014, 05:16:55 AM »

Wild card.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2014, 10:37:53 AM »

I like You're Still A Mystery. It's a nice song with a nice arrangement, but when I was counting the votes and it looked like it was going to win I was getting bummed. It has almost no point of momentum.  Unlike Soul Searchin'. I am very pleased with the results of this round.

I just finished writing the tracklist and post disclaimer for the SUPER Survivor rounds.  I decided (just in the interest of symmetry) to add Morning Christmas to the line up (since it technically did survive the 70's Christmas titles) and got each era squared away with 9 tracks each.

Compile a multi-CD comp incorporating the three songs that made it to the final of each round and you have one hell of a BB compilation!!!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »

Compile a multi-CD comp incorporating the three songs that made it to the final of each round and you have one hell of a BB compilation!!!

An even better compilation would be one that didn't have Pet Sounds and Summer In Paradise represented equally with three songs each.

Please delete my account
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2014, 12:44:13 PM »

An even better compilation would be one that didn't have Pet Sounds and Summer In Paradise represented equally with three songs each.

You mean like in exactly the same way that the standard Survivor comp will equally represent Pet Sounds and SIP with one song each?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:02:35 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »

Wild card.

Wild card?
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »

For GV, I assume he means.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2014, 01:27:36 PM »

Ah. I wouldn't be opposed to that. Would pull it out for Super Survivor ot Ultimate Survivor?
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »

Super, I'd say. Let it do some work to deserve ultimate. Smiley

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2014, 03:18:57 PM »

Great suggestion LAGD.  Agree with Fall Breaks, pull it out for Super

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: