gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:07:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sweet flea market find  (Read 3204 times)
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »

So sweet, 91 is my birth year too. Wish I had the $50

Did finally get 15 big ones but passed on a $7 M.I.U
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »

Double post
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:07:33 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:06:58 PM »

So sweet, 91 is my birth year too. Wish I had the $50

Did finally get 15 big ones but passed on a $7 M.I.U
Nice threads! I only have shirts, does it say anything on the front?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »

Very cool but not really worth 50 bucks

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »

I so want it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »

What kinda Beach Boys clothes/gear and the like would be worth more than 50$?

Not including clothing with autographs nor clothes that were worn by the actual beach boys.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:31:19 AM »

50$? Hell no. That's not what I would associate with "flea market find" anyway.

[Cool jacket, though. Grin]
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:55:12 AM »

I'd say $50 is a fair price.  Not many of them floating around and it wouldn't have been cheap when originally purchased.

It's like collecting anything else.  How scarce is it, condition, original price and what would people be willing to pay?  These are all questions I ask myself when buying stuff.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 05:40:50 AM »

I also think $50 is a reasonable price.  I can't remember; was this jacket available to the general public in Sherrie Holt's The Beach Boys line of clothing?

That logo on the back is just screen-printed on, like a T-shirt.  This jacket is obviously unused or only lightly used, as screen printed logos on leather have a tendency to crack over time.

The old school BB satin tour jackets from the '70s with embroidered logos and patches can command a lot more than $50 in top condition.

Lee
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:45:41 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 07:38:33 AM »

@ mikeddonn + LeeDempsey: $50 may be a reasonable collector's price - what I was referring to is its status as a "flea market find" (which I would associate with "bargain"). I probably wouldn't pay $50 for a jacket I found on a flea market (if I wasn't collecting them anyway).

Whatevs.. Wink
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 07:44:51 AM »

Sorry Lowbacca I was referring more to the comments by Shady and Punkinhead regarding the worth of such stuff in general.
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:34:26 AM »

From tracking down some internet auctions, the past 4-5 (over the last 6 years I could find) have sold for more than $50 (after shipping is included.) 

It's not leather, it's definitely that classic 90's windbreaker like material. I wouldn't really be considering it if it weren't my birth year which I think is kinda cool.   Also my girlfriend wants it more than I do, I told her I would split it with her though since I'll certainly sport it around.   The guy who has it overheard us geeking out about it and promptly said he would take $40 so I imagine we will go back next week and get it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »

From tracking down some internet auctions, the past 4-5 (over the last 6 years I could find) have sold for more than $50 (after shipping is included.) 

It's not leather, it's definitely that classic 90's windbreaker like material. I wouldn't really be considering it if it weren't my birth year which I think is kinda cool.   Also my girlfriend wants it more than I do, I told her I would split it with her though since I'll certainly sport it around.   The guy who has it overheard us geeking out about it and promptly said he would take $40 so I imagine we will go back next week and get it.

It being your year and all, you should definitely get it.  can't remember what I paid, but I bought one just like it some years back just cause I liked the look of it. More than $50 , I know. and it doesn't even fit me... 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »

The little squiggles bordering the band name are very Keith Haring esque.  Very early 90s.   Grin

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 03:07:44 PM »

I also think $50 is a reasonable price.  I can't remember; was this jacket available to the general public in Sherrie Holt's The Beach Boys line of clothing?

Lee

No.  This jacket would have been a good 3-4 years after the BB/Sherry Holt HOBO line, which was around in 86-87.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »

just found "Today" (duo phonic)  and "All summer long" (mono) in the dollar bin at a local thrift shop...
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »

I also think $50 is a reasonable price.  I can't remember; was this jacket available to the general public in Sherrie Holt's The Beach Boys line of clothing?

Lee

No.  This jacket would have been a good 3-4 years after the BB/Sherry Holt HOBO line, which was around in 86-87.

Okay, so I was wrong.  The 1991 tour was sponsored by Borden Foods (the tour was subtitled "Snackin' USA"), and these jackets were given out to the company's executives, VIP guests, and contest winners.  So they are more common than the typical tour jacket that is reserved for band members and crew.

Lee
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 05:36:09 PM »

just found "Today" (duo phonic)  and "All summer long" (mono) in the dollar bin at a local thrift shop...

These are ubiquitous.  Label color/variation and condition of the vinyl and sleeve are what matters here.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx