-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:06:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Why You're Wrong (And I'm Right)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why You're Wrong (And I'm Right)  (Read 3335 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »

It's tiresome explaining myself again and again, piecemeal, to correct this or that of you on whatever musical topic is at hand. So I've decided to handle it once and for all.

Some of you are too damn old. You're stuck on your same old reference points, insisting that everything compare or contrast to some grand favorite of yours from before I was born. While those acts are valid and valuable, your use of them as defining the context of everything else--things that are of a wholly different context, means you're entirely missing the point on everything coming after your particular cultural cutoff.

Others of you are too damn young. You don't know anything and your ignorance offends the learned. Your concept of history is laughable, and most of your analysis is verbatim from liner notes or documentaries. When you reach back, it's usually in a sad attempt at distinguishing yourself from your pop-culture peers, as if the outsider status were valuable and modernity were not.

Why can't you be my age?

Further, quite a few of you seem to be from some far-off city. You're undeniably biased, having come of age in your particular set of circumstances. Hell, some of you are from a different country altogether. What the hell is that? Obviously, you've missed half of the cultural milestones that create a full understanding of the musical landscape--that much is obvious from half those bands you talk about, bands with funny names and members with funnier names still. (Fucking foreigners.)

I pity those of you who had no older siblings. You've missed out entirely on that opportunity to observe and absorb what came immediately before your time, and thus to rebel against it (only to later find its value). What did you do, stumble around blindly? Wasted years.

Then there is the little matter of your educations. Seems to me that most of you didn't even spend a few years formally training in music before realizing there were other things that would be more realistic, financially speaking, and thus you're lacking that base entirely. No technical understanding whatsoever.

Others of you went on, education-wise, or even ended up making music as a profession. How the hell do you expect to be objectively correct with respect to music when you're so caught up in it? And half of you are so technical, you've lost what matters in music.

I guess what it all comes down to is, if you'd spend a few moments thinking about it, you'd see that while most of you have certain of the aforementioned (and other) flaws and biases, I'm uniquely positioned to offer objective truth in musical analysis. You're welcome.

P.S., this works for religion and politics, too.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:56:03 AM »

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:49:23 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:54:05 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:50:49 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:46:49 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »

That was a great and funny post! LMFAO.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »

I thought it was at least a little humorous... Sometimes reading posters' judgments on good versus bad (or in some cases, evil) leads one to satire.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »

I thought it was at least a little humorous... Sometimes reading posters' judgments on good versus bad (or in some cases, evil) leads one to satire.
He is being humorous. It's a "I'm always right and everybody else is wrong" thing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.