gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:39:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeff Beck Calls His Tour with Brian Wilson ‘A Bit of a Nightmare’  (Read 42584 times)
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2014, 06:43:48 AM »

Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson‘s musical partnership seems to have been much more exciting in theory than it was in reality — at least according to Beck, anyway.

The duo’s highly anticipated 2013 tour went hand-in-hand with some studio sessions for a new Wilson album (or albums), but it sounds like all that musical activity failed to generate much in the way of a personal connection. According to Beck, he “had fallen in love with the idea of playing with Brian Wilson,” to the point that he even kept going after undergoing an endoscopy during the tour’s stop in Chicago. Unfortunately, he says he ultimately found himself unable to establish a friendship with his tourmate. Describing the experience as “a bit of a nightmare,” Beck continued, “He doesn’t speak. He’s clearly in need of attention. But that’s just my opinion.”

The writing was on the wall as early as the sessions that preceded the tour, Beck told Classic Rock Magazine. “For four days I sat there and didn’t even know Brian was in the room. He was so quiet, he never uttered a syllable. And yet they gave me these parts that allegedly he’d written. Then we were offered some shows together: ‘Jeff, this is gonna be the tour of the year!’ They should’ve got the bloody record done first, but they got excited and we ended up doing the Jeff Beck-Brian Wilson tour prematurely.”

Presumably, Beck will have a better time during his upcoming run of dates with ZZ Top — and then there’s always his new album to look forward to, which he described by saying, “It’s almost like if you went to Turkey and came across a rabid bar band, but it’s more sophisticated.”

Read More: Jeff Beck Calls His Tour with Brian Wilson 'A Bit of a Nightmare' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jeff-beck-brian-wilson-tour-nightmare/?trackback=tsmclip

Here's what Brian had said about the tour on his website earlier on:

“I’d like to thank everyone on our tour and especially my band, Al, Dave, and the great Jeff Beck and his band for making this tour so much fun. And most of all, I’d like to thank all my fans who came out to see us. We’re working on some cool new music now and I think you’re really gonna dig it! ”

— Brian
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:49:50 AM »

Well, that's unfortunate but not surprising.  It was a fantastic show nonetheless.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 07:09:49 AM »

Well and in this perhaps once we've removed and inserted the appropriate names, we may finally have the definitive reason (for those who hadn't already deduced it) as to why another tour didn't carry on down the road despite the fact it was enthusiastically received by both critics and fans alike. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:18:43 AM »

"Excited". Hrmph.  Angry
I do wish Brian had better/ less greedy handlers. He really shouldn't be touring.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »

What if... what if Brian hasn't written a real song since the '80s? What if he's a front for other people that use the Brian Wilson name to sell records? They let the old dog have a few chords and harmonies here and there, but mostly he sits back and collects paychecks. Could it be? Andy Paley asserted as much, didn't he? Why did Brian have to work on all the That's Why God Made The Radio recordings when no Beach Boys were around? I could tell from interviews that the group thought Brian wrote more of the music then he really did. They credited stuff to Brian that Joe Thomas fussed up to doing in interviews.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:24:45 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:06:26 AM »

What if... what if Brian hasn't written a real song since the '80s? What if he's a front for other people that use the Brian Wilson name to sell records? They let the old dog have a few chords and harmonies here and there, but mostly he sits back and collects paychecks. Could it be? Andy Paley asserted as much, didn't he? Why did Brian have to work on all the That's Why God Made The Radio recordings when no Beach Boys were around? I could tell from interviews that the group thought Brian wrote more of the music then he really did. They credited stuff to Brian that Joe Thomas fussed up to doing in interviews.
do I see a "Conspiracy" here?  Grin but seriously who knows how much his mental illness has hindered him over the years, I hope this is NOT true though, it would be nice to know he had a hand in his own music, I have a feeling he's been doing what he's been doing since the late 60's, he would start a recording (or write a demo) and leave it unfinished and the people around him would either find these songs, or ask him if he has any new songs or would see him playing a song on the piano and ask him about it, and they would take the songs and finish them with Brian's help (or in some without, "MIU" cough cough), after all how many songs after "Break Away" can you think of where Brian was involved from the beginning to the end of the song,(maybe "'til I die") heck even "Love You" had to be finished by Carl and MIU has obvious Brian Wilson music and chord progressions with lyrics slapped on them by the other members.. we also have "sail on sailor", "Good Timing", "Darlin'" and "Time to get alone" which were songs that were either started and shelved only to be dug up later or the Beach Boys "Discovered" that he had recorded these songs (mostly for other people) and would take them and dub their voices on them..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:09:15 AM by joshferrell » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »

What if... what if Brian hasn't written a real song since the '80s? What if he's a front for other people that use the Brian Wilson name to sell records?

Then I wanna shake their hands for making so many damn good albums and putting on so many damn good concerts!  There's clearly Brian-Wilson-level talent behind the last decade of his solo career, and no matter how much of it comes from talented collaborators it's still a thing of beauty worth celebrating.

Not sure why I should be bothered that he didn't write a note of "I Loves You Porgy", either -- the voice singing it is in so much better shape than at any point in the '80s...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:18:43 AM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:10:37 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Cheers.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »

Perhaps Brian does not like Beck and thus ignores him.

Perhaps that's the way Brian is... at times, at least.

But, by looking at the musical output Brian's collaborators have put together on their own thru the years it is obvious that Brian himself is involved in one degree or another with the music that bears his name. Brian's music is of a higher level and inspiration than that of his recent collaborators. He needs, uses, and takes full advantage of collaborators. Always has.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »

It would be entirely irrelevant to people who enjoy music for the sake of the music made.

It would be a big deal to people who create for themselves some kind of relationship to the (in this case falsified) creator-artist.

It would be morally unfortunate for those involved, I suppose, but that isn't my problem.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 11:49:32 AM »

Perhaps Brian does not like Beck and thus ignores him.

Perhaps that's the way Brian is... at times, at least.

But, by looking at the musical output Brian's collaborators have put together on their own thru the years it is obvious that Brian himself is involved in one degree or another with the music that bears his name. Brian's music is of a higher level and inspiration than that of his recent collaborators. He needs, uses, and takes full advantage of collaborators. Always has.

So, why did Brian or Brian's people ask Beck to work with him if Brian dislikes him to the point of ignoring him? I assume Brian isn't that way with Paul McCartney or people he likes.  Jeff may be right in asking why he was asked to work on the album or do the tour, even if the tour did okay.  I think Brian's people were using him. They wanted something to grab headlines for Brian and ensure as many people as possible knew he had a solo touring career after the PR of C50 ending.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »

Maybe Brian's just a shy and reserved guy who doesn't have much of an appetite for conversation.  Maybe he thought he connected with Jeff Beck the only way he knew how , through music and at the show I went to, he looked like he was having a blast when he and Beck were on stage together.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »

If Jeff is right about being handed parts to play while Brian sat silently in the same room, it is questionable who wrote the parts. I'm assuming Joe.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »

I sent a Facebook message to Brian once and he ignored me too.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »

Pretty sure Brian is just not an engaging person in general due to his mental illness, the drugs he used to take which accelerated said mental illness, and from the prescribed meds he currently takes to combat said mental illness.  

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
halblaineisgood
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:02:20 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »

If Jeff is right about being handed parts to play while Brian sat silently in the same room, it is questionable who wrote the parts. I'm assuming Joe.

Maybe getting on Beck's nerves was Brian's way of sabotaging a collaboration he did not want. That said, his behavior in public is bizarre, Gary Usher tells episodes like Beck's in the. "Wilson Project" book, so there's plenty of reasons to think Brian may act like he's not there.

Regarding the parts that were handed to Beck, they may be Brian's- no matter how silently he sat. He may have thought them out, then have somebody transcribe the  or record them.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »

The behavior that Jeff Beck describes is found in much - not all but much - of the Beautiful Dreamer documentary. And, that "project" was/is hailed as the peak or at least the highlight of Brian Wilson's solo career.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »

What if... what if Brian hasn't written a real song since the '80s? What if he's a front for other people that use the Brian Wilson name to sell records?

Then I wanna shake their hands for making so many damn good albums and putting on so many damn good concerts!  There's clearly Brian-Wilson-level talent behind the last decade of his solo career, and no matter how much of it comes from talented collaborators it's still a thing of beauty worth celebrating.

Not sure why I should be bothered that he didn't write a note of "I Loves You Porgy", either -- the voice singing it is in so much better shape than at any point in the '80s...
Exactly my thoughts, that evil, behind the scenes manipulator/collaborator must be one hell of a talent!
Cheers,
Jon Blum

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 02:36:04 PM »

I'm sure AGD is gonna get a kick out of this...

he predicted the sour end of their collab long ago

(I don't think we're gonna hear him on the record)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:49:42 PM by Gabo » Logged
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »

Pure nonsense. In 2006/2007 , I spent a good portion of my time , and American Airlines points , commuting between JFK and LAX. Literally every morning, at 0800 EST, my phone would ring.  At the other end of the line, was Brian Wilson, already up , working on songs, asking for input ; what I thought.  The next question was invariably " when can you come out ? " It was the summer of the Scott Bennett sessions. I would fly out and immediately go to the house......every week. The ritual was simple: get to the house, Brian always waiting in the driveway, go up to the music room where he would play the new song on his synthesizer, never on the grand piano. Then , go to the deli and eat , then go to the park and walk.  Then drive to Scott's place early so we could listen to "Pet Sounds" ....then stop at the same 7-11 and get a 6 pack of Corona Light for the session. Brian would lay down several piano tracks , Scott would add bass, drums and guitar; Brian would then lay down the lead vocal. The songs were written , lyrics and music , by Brian. Later on they were shortened ( most were over four minutes long) and lyrics were rewritten by Scott , tailoring it for "That Lucky Old Sun". The songs were: "Walking Down the Path of Life" , about 4:30 long, "Morning Beat", "Angel's in Love", "Good Kind of Love", about a minute longer than the released version, "Live Let Live" ,  about 45 seconds longer than the released version, "Mexican Girl" , "oh , Mi Amour", "Message Man" , "Wonderin What You're Up to Now" , which ultimately became "California Role", "Oxygen to the Brain", "Going Home" , about 4:30 minutes long, 'Isn't That Just Like Me and You", "Night Came Gently ", "Isn't That Just Like Me and You", "Forever She'll be My Surfer Girl", "I Wanna Be With You", "Do You Have a Story to Tell"..."Midnight's Another Day " was co written with Scott; "What Love Can Do " was co-written with Burt Bacharach . I have every generation of each one of these songs on CD here at home ; from Brian's piano demo's, to the Scott Bennett engineered sessions, to what came out. Any theory that Brian does not write his own stuff anymore is just pure unadulterated nonsense.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 03:47:58 PM »

Pure nonsense. In 2006/2007 , I spent a good portion of my time , and American Airlines points , commuting between JFK and LAX. Literally every morning, at 0800 EST, my phone would ring.  At the other end of the line, was Brian Wilson, already up , working on songs, asking for input ; what I thought.  The next question was invariably " when can you come out ? " It was the summer of the Scott Bennett sessions. I would fly out and immediately go to the house......every week. The ritual was simple: get to the house, Brian always waiting in the driveway, go up to the music room where he would play the new song on his synthesizer, never on the grand piano. Then , go to the deli and eat , then go to the park and walk.  Then drive to Scott's place early so we could listen to "Pet Sounds" ....then stop at the same 7-11 and get a 6 pack of Corona Light for the session. Brian would lay down several piano tracks , Scott would add bass, drums and guitar; Brian would then lay down the lead vocal. The songs were written , lyrics and music , by Brian. Later on they were shortened ( most were over four minutes long) and lyrics were rewritten by Scott , tailoring it for "That Lucky Old Sun". The songs were: "Walking Down the Path of Life" , about 4:30 long, "Morning Beat", "Angel's in Love", "Good Kind of Love", about a minute longer than the released version, "Live Let Live" ,  about 45 seconds longer than the released version, "Mexican Girl" , "oh , Mi Amour", "Message Man" , "Wonderin What You're Up to Now" , which ultimately became "California Role", "Oxygen to the Brain", "Going Home" , about 4:30 minutes long, 'Isn't That Just Like Me and You", "Night Came Gently ", "Isn't That Just Like Me and You", "Forever She'll be My Surfer Girl", "I Wanna Be With You", "Do You Have a Story to Tell"..."Midnight's Another Day " was co written with Scott; "What Love Can Do " was co-written with Burt Bacharach . I have every generation of each one of these songs on CD here at home ; from Brian's piano demo's, to the Scott Bennett engineered sessions, to what came out. Any theory that Brian does not write his own stuff anymore is just pure unadulterated nonsense.

This post brought a smile to my face. Thank you. I especially like that Brian still listens to Pet Sounds for inspiration. Just like many of us here I'd assume!

Wonder if the other titles unused you mention may get a re-working on some of Brian's upcoming project(s)?

And how cool is it that you have unreleased Brian demos and rough mixes at your convenience. Avoid the barrage of private messages! Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »

I have every generation of each one of these songs on CD here at home ; from Brian's piano demo's, to the Scott Bennett engineered sessions, to what came out.

When can I come by to listen?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 03:57:31 PM »

Ray Lawlor does not post here enough!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »

I have every generation of each one of these songs on CD here at home ; from Brian's piano demo's, to the Scott Bennett engineered sessions, to what came out.

When can I come by to listen?

Anytime !
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx