gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:04:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's been almost 27 years....  (Read 9778 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »

Did David Marks' individual eligibility begin with his David Marks & The Marksmen recordings?
Sheriff, are you goofin' on me? David Marks as a solo artist ? David should be inducted as a Beach Boy.

Absolutely. I was just thinking out loud as to technically or "HOF legally" when David would've been eligible as a solo artist.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 01:25:44 PM »

It's the concerts that get you inducted. I finally get it.  Nilsson, Brian, The Monkees, Jan & Dean... these cats are known primarily for making quality records, not putting on inspiring live performances. (Yes I know Nilsson is the only studio-only guy that I listed there and the others gave concerts, but you know what I'm tryin' to say...)

But then how did Harrison get in?

What about John Lennon as a solo artist...  Huh what'd he play maybe two concerts?

MEh, suppose it might be on account of 'em both being dead.

It's not primarily the concerts that get you inducted. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »

So you would deny Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison the recognition they deserve for having success outside of their respective bands?

Not deny, just delay, until the backlog of uninducted worthies has been inducted.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:24:52 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »

Jann Wenner is a dork.

I dont know what he has to do with it - but it aint right to keep J&D out this long. Just aint right.

R&RHOF gets Zero respect from me until they are inducted.  Angry

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 06:01:54 AM »

Jann Wenner is a dork.

I dont know what he has to do with it - but it aint right to keep J&D out this long.

Wenner is the co-founder of the Hall of Fame.  I think he has a lot to do with why some musicians (like Chicago) have been excluded from the HOF.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 08:25:46 AM »

I thought about this too which is what prompted me to review his solo albums. I think the Pet Sounds and Smile tours along with the greatness of TLOS and RIG, the fact that he overcame past fears to and issues to his longest time to consistently tour. Not to mention writing and producing (with help from Joe Thomas) another top 5 hit single for the Beach Boys,  I feel are warranted for Brian Wilson to go into the hall of fame on his own.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »

"RIG"? Do you mean "BWRG"? Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »

Jann Wenner is a dork.

I dont know what he has to do with it - but it aint right to keep J&D out this long.

Wenner is the co-founder of the Hall of Fame.  I think he has a lot to do with why some musicians (like Chicago) have been excluded from the HOF.

Does Wenner have permanent veto power for the HOF?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 03:27:04 PM »

I thought about this too which is what prompted me to review his solo albums. I think the Pet Sounds and Smile tours along with the greatness of TLOS and RIG, the fact that he overcame past fears to and issues to his longest time to consistently tour. Not to mention writing and producing (with help from Joe Thomas) another top 5 hit single for the Beach Boys,  I feel are warranted for Brian Wilson to go into the hall of fame on his own.

And that would be... which song ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »

I think he meant album

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »

All points duly noted, but ultimately his solo career has barely had the success he enjoyed with the Beach Boys.  The only real standout on his own was his finally releasing a re-recording of SMiLE, an album he originally conceived when he was in his prime.  Is it really even fair to credit this as part of his solo career when the genesis of this album was meant to be for the Beach Boys?  All the other albums he put out sold modestly at best.  As much as I dig BW, if we were to judge him based solely on his solo output, I don't think there is enough there to really warrant him his own spot in the RRHoF. 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »

I think he meant album

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... my bad, my utter, complete and miserable bad. I am a wretched excuse for a human being, and in the future will understand that when someone says "single", they actually mean "album".

This English language, it is so difficult to use properly, isn't it ? Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that calling someone a f*ckwit isn't a compliment.  So much to learn... Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 06:38:00 AM »

I think he meant album

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... my bad, my utter, complete and miserable bad. I am a wretched excuse for a human being, and in the future will understand that when someone says "single", they actually mean "album".

This English language, it is so difficult to use properly, isn't it ? Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that calling someone a f*ckwit isn't a compliment.  So much to learn... Roll Eyes

I did that at the top of my head. I guess it's the album that hit #3, not the single.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »

I think he meant album

Human beings nake errors, in any language.

For instance, I just mistyped "nake" instead of "make", and now decided to leave it like that for demonstration. Magic T. Radio either used the wrong word or mistakenly thought of the wrong thing. So what?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »

I think he meant album

In my book one definition of  f*ckwit is someone who makes something out of nothing.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2014, 11:47:10 PM »

Twelve (soon to be thirteen) solo* albums in a 26-year solo career isn't prolific ?  Huh

[* if you include Orange Crate Art]

I meant to the mainstream Public. It is still not nearly as famous or prolific as say, 3 of the Beatles solo careers.

And count me as one of the guys who agree that Jan and Dean should get in now!

Dave Marks and Bruce Johnston have been snubbed in their roles as Beach Boys. Bruce has been a Beach Boy longer than say Ron Wood has been a Stone. How many great albums have the Stones made with Ronnie Wood on board? One. (Some Girls)

Agreed with the first part. Still cannot believe they (and Blondie + Ricky) did not get in while all the Rolling Stones (Including Ian Stewart!) got inducted. They could have at least added Bruce, as he was part of what made up their classic line-up that made their best work.

And as for the Stones comment, I slightly disagree. I think the Stones made two great albums since Ronnie Wood joined, Some Girls and Tattoo You!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 11:53:49 PM »

Twelve (soon to be thirteen) solo* albums in a 26-year solo career isn't prolific ?  Huh

I meant to the mainstream Public. It is still not nearly as famous or prolific as say, 3 of the Beatles solo careers.

I would say 4 of the Beatles solo careers - Pete Best never did have any hit records on his own. Ringo, on the other hand, had a string of top ten singles (yes, singles) in the 70's (does anyone remember It Don't Come Easy, Back Off Boogaloo, Photograph, You're Sixteen, Oh My My, Only You, No No Song)  a couple of strong selling albums  (Ringo and Goodnight Vienna), several film roles, and if we're including endless touring on the oldies circuit for the past 25 years, well, Ringo's done that too.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 12:00:05 AM »

I would say 4 of the Beatles solo careers - Pete Best never did have any hit records on his own.
Wasn't his band's album "Haymans Green" nominated for Grammy? I recall there was a lot of fuss in 2010 or 11 when the news came out.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2014, 12:01:12 AM »

I would say 4 of the Beatles solo careers - Pete Best never did have any hit records on his own. Ringo, on the other hand, had a string of top ten singles (yes, singles) in the 70's (does anyone remember It Don't Come Easy, Back Off Boogaloo, Photograph, You're Sixteen, Oh My My, Only You, No No Song)  a couple of strong selling albums  (Ringo and Goodnight Vienna), several film roles, and if we're including endless touring on the oldies circuit for the past 25 years, well, Ringo's done that too.

When I said 3 of the Beatles solo careers, I meant John, Paul and George. As far as I know, Ringo only really had a few hit singles and one hit album (the self-titled one). I discount film roles as it's not exactly in the same category as his solo music career.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2014, 12:07:38 AM »

When I said 3 of the Beatles solo careers, I meant John, Paul and George. As far as I know, Ringo only really had a few hit singles and one hit album (the self-titled one). I discount film roles as it's not exactly in the same category as his solo music career.

It was just explained that that's not the case though
 dennis
Ringo did pretty well for himself

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2014, 01:21:50 AM »

When I said 3 of the Beatles solo careers, I meant John, Paul and George. As far as I know, Ringo only really had a few hit singles and one hit album (the self-titled one).

The "Goodnight Vienna" LP also went Top 10 (in the US), and he had eight Top 10 singles (and three others that made the Top 40).  That's a pretty respectable Greatest Hits in its own right.  (By comparison, George had five Top 10 singles, and nine others in the Top 40.)

I wish Brian had that kind of negligible solo success!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
bluesno1fann
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2014, 01:32:13 AM »

When I said 3 of the Beatles solo careers, I meant John, Paul and George. As far as I know, Ringo only really had a few hit singles and one hit album (the self-titled one).

The "Goodnight Vienna" LP also went Top 10 (in the US), and he had eight Top 10 singles (and three others that made the Top 40).  That's a pretty respectable Greatest Hits in its own right.  (By comparison, George had five Top 10 singles, and nine others in the Top 40.)

I wish Brian had that kind of negligible solo success!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

True, but George also made All Things Must Pass (and to a lesser extent, Living In A Material World) which is generally considered to be one of the greatest solo Beatles albums, not to mention his work with the Traveling Wilburys.
Nicko1234
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2014, 01:57:12 AM »

Realistically Brian`s solo career is nothing like strong enough for him to be considered for something like this imo.

His 10 solo albums thus far (studio albums obviously) have included of 3 covers albums of other people`s work, 2 covers albums of his own work and 1 album where he was guest singing someone else`s songs. So what are you left with...

BW88 - Pretty well liked
Imagination - A mixed reception and again filled in with covers
GIOMH - Crap and with songs of various vintages
That Lucky Old Sun - Highly thought of

Now considering what Brian has been through in his life, that is nothing to be sniffed at. But it doesn`t compare with hundreds of other artistes who would be more deserving of being inducted.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2014, 05:15:45 AM »

Two bands that really, really should be in there:

Cowsills

Carpenters.

Bread  Wink
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:18:25 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2014, 05:42:54 AM »

Realistically Brian`s solo career is nothing like strong enough for him to be considered for something like this imo.

His 10 solo albums thus far (studio albums obviously) have included of 3 covers albums of other people`s work, 2 covers albums of his own work and 1 album where he was guest singing someone else`s songs. So what are you left with...

BW88 - Pretty well liked
Imagination - A mixed reception and again filled in with covers
GIOMH - Crap and with songs of various vintages
That Lucky Old Sun - Highly thought of

Now considering what Brian has been through in his life, that is nothing to be sniffed at. But it doesn`t compare with hundreds of other artistes who would be more deserving of being inducted.

This is clear-eyed truth telling. Sorry Brian  Undecided
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx