gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 12:28:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds at my local record store  (Read 4982 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »

I have been recollecting vinyl and there's a new record store in my town and they have the new re-issued "Pet Sounds" so I bought it and the lady told me that it's one of the most requested albums at the store and one of their bigger sellers and they have to keep reordering it, my town is a town of 90,000 so it's not huge or anything, that made me happy to hear that even after all these years people still want to buy it, even on vinyl..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:50:11 PM by joshferrell » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »

Heck yeah!  The boys still have it.

On the way to work, I was listening to the 60's channel (on XM) and the d.j. played "And Your Dreams Come True".... of all things... and then exclaimed that the biggest competion the Beatles had back in the day was THAT!  Not the Rolling Stones... the BEACH BOYS!

I'm glad a few people get it.
Grayhands
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 06:34:51 AM »

I have yet to find Pet Sounds on vinyl in any of my local record shops, sweet find!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:08:10 AM »

Good One! Josh,  great story and thanks for sharing it....... I get a kick out of hearing that stuff too  Cool

RickB
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:10:48 AM »

Good One! Josh,  great story and thanks for sharing it....... I get a kick out of hearing that stuff too  Cool

RickB
Thank you  Grin
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »

What's a local record shop??
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »

a shop that still survives selling vinyl (and cd's)..... who are a dying breed unfortunately..... Undecided

that's why RSD exists....

RickB
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:35:37 AM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »

Heck yeah!  The boys still have it.

On the way to work, I was listening to the 60's channel (on XM) and the d.j. played "And Your Dreams Come True".... of all things... and then exclaimed that the biggest competion the Beatles had back in the day was THAT!  Not the Rolling Stones... the BEACH BOYS!

I'm glad a few people get it.
hell yeah cuz the BBs were the best, the beatles were good but couldnt sing or make brilliant records like hawthorne californias finest!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 02:30:57 PM »

Even though I have them both (several times over!) I was still tempted to buy Pet Sound and Smile on vinyl in FOPP record store in Glasgow recently.  It's still wonderful to see those 2 side by side in the rack like it could've been in 1967 if things had turned out differently!
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »

a shop that still survives selling vinyl (and cd's)..... who are a dying breed unfortunately..... Undecided

RickB

JB Hi-fi (which is an Australian cd, dvd, game, tv, phone, camera, etc. store) still sells vinyl. All JBs I've been to have vinyl stands. I haven't seen any Beach boys  vinyl although I haven't looked hard. I've seen lots of Beatles vinyl though.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »

Surprisingly I found out the other day that Sunflower is the Beach Boys record which comes and goes the most at my local record store.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »

One time I was I Landlocked, one of three record shops here in Bloomington...they were playing Wild Honey (side 2), i went up to the cashier (who's in charge of picking albums of course) and asked what release it was (re-release, original, foreign release, etc); it was without the album cover and I could tell it was the rerelease that had 20/20 with it from the mid 70s.
Another day, I pop in and Lady Lynda is playing! I froze with excitement, waited to see if it was the Light Album or something else and then Full Sail came on. Went up and talked to the cashier, it was the same thing....when it got to the end of side 1, I asked if he was gonna play side 2 and he said yeah, I told him he was gonna toture everyone but me.

About Pet Sounds, I think a lot of people my age (29) and a little younger and a older than I, have a notion that, from hearing others talk about Pet Sounds, it's become such a legendary album that a lot of folks just hear about it and it just gets a cult status, whether they own it or not.

If none of this makes sense, it's because I've just gotten sick in the past 24 hours and I'm a little out of it...so I'd my other posts in the past days haven't made much sense, that's why...plus I keep dosing off in the middle of typing.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »

Believe it or not pet sounds has been in the top 10 sellers chart of my local tower record for about 2 years now

It's a "classic records" but if you see the competion you'd understand how impressive that is.

Pet sounds has become one of those must have albums for music fans, bands are lucky to have one of those

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 11:59:04 PM »

RickB

JB Hi-fi (which is an Australian cd, dvd, game, tv, phone, camera, etc. store) still sells vinyl. All JBs I've been to have vinyl stands. I haven't seen any Beach boys  vinyl although I haven't looked hard. I've seen lots of Beatles vinyl though.

Interesting, and you're right that there's a lot of Vinyl being sold at JB. But I have occasionally seen Pet Sounds, SMiLE and once a Surfin' Safari 50th Anniversary EP (which I got). And in the JB in the city, I've found the Surfin' Safari album (with bonus disc of other BB's songs from that era), and That's Why God Made The Radio. There's most likely a few more there, but I've forgotten lol.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 04:59:37 AM »

Why shop for records in chain stores like JB Hi-fi? I would have thought there are at least a few proper record stores in the city?

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 10:07:56 AM »

RickB

Sarcasm....

My current fave is Fingerprints in Long Beach.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »

Surprisingly I found out the other day that Sunflower is the Beach Boys record which comes and goes the most at my local record store.
For me, Sunflower is one of their best to hear on vinyl - especially side one.  I haven't heard (or researched much) the "new" pressings.  Do they use the same mix you would hear on the 70's analog vinyl, or the version that was made for the CD (2012)?  That sounds different to these ears.  At first I thought it was a re-mix or that Mark was using some of the alt. vocals and Quad mixes, like they are doing with the old Moody Blue's albums.  Not sure, has Mark made any mention of how he did that one here?  Some of the vinyl that use the digital re-mastering is just... why bother.  Sounds like the CD.  I have heard some of those, the Traffic stuff sounded terrible, while the re-mastered CDs sounded fantastic.  I stopped buying most of it in 1997 when I paid a whopping $50 for the import (mostly the only way back then) of McCartney's Flaming Pie, and couldn't tell the difference to the CD - maybe on the rockers.  I have both the American and import Beatles BBC sessions, and that one does sound better on vinyl.  So it varies.   Best to search out old vintage pressings of anything pre/early 90's.  I have all the period American vinyl Beach Boys albums, and some of the imports of favorites from around the globe's best pressing plants.  I prefer Today, Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!), Surf's Up and Carl and the Passions - "So Tough" on vinyl.  The In Concert album too.  Guess I'm either too old school, or influenced by what I grew up with.  Some of the CDs, 2000's and later can sound as good or better.  Or I just enjoy the differences.  Some great work has been done, bringing the old albums into the digital age, but there is something special about the original (muddy or not) mixes and the power that a record can produce running the grooves.  Been reading some interesting information about how Mark is re-doing tracks lately.  And eye opening that he thinks the MOFI version of Pet Sounds is the best.  Damn, I don't have that one.  I have the PS box, the "Fuzzy" cover (both versions, stereo/mono, are my go-to choice), and Mark's 1990 release.  As is well known, the vinyl attached to CATP-ST sounds Great!  I didn't get the 2012 of PS, but I got the rest.  They all have reasons to own them.  Surf's Up sounds the closest to the sound of the vinyl.  I can't say enough about how great I think the MIC box sounds.
In my area there are over five indie stores where I shop.  One of them is vinyl only.  Somehow they stay in business.  Possibly by selling mail-order.  I support RS Days with my wallet.  Our bigger stores, Best Buy/B&N ect. don't sell much vinyl.  Those stores are having a rough time staying open, not that that has much to do with selling vinyl.  Our FYE down-sized to a hole-in-the-wall, that sells nothing but the current hits and comp packages.  B&N too, they have turned that department into little more than a place for high school and college kids to buy supplies for mp3 players and the like.  A world I do not take a part in other than the computer (not mobile), and OnStar in the car.  I still have a land-line.  B&N doesn't even call it a Music/Movies Department anymore.  For CDs and DVDs, even books, I shop online mostly, unless Target or Best Buy are offering an "extras" deal.  But I live in the sticks.  Sure you folks in the bigger cities can find plenty on foot.  When I do go to NYC or Long Island, I'm looking for boots and deals.  I miss roaming through stores like Tower and Virgin.  Only the biggest cities still have stores anything like that.
So much I want to buy, so much I have to leave behind for later.  When budget allows.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:23:19 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:38:58 AM »

it's weird because the re-issue of Pet Sounds on vinyl  has that strange Ghost song under "I'm waiting for the day" while the original doesn't (or at least I didn't/couldn't hear it).. but I don't know about the re-issue of Sunflower..
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 12:45:39 PM »

it's weird because the re-issue of Pet Sounds on vinyl  has that strange Ghost song under "I'm waiting for the day" while the original doesn't (or at least I didn't/couldn't hear it).. but I don't know about the re-issue of Sunflower..

Every mono copy has "(You Got)The Power of Love" by The Everly Brothers faintly under IWFTD.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »

Every mono copy has "(You Got)The Power of Love" by The Everly Brothers faintly under IWFTD.
wow then I must have not been listening very well...lol...
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »

For me, Sunflower is one of their best to hear on vinyl - especially side one.  I haven't heard (or researched much) the "new" pressings.  Do they use the same mix you would hear on the 70's analog vinyl, or the version that was made for the CD (2012)?  That sounds different to these ears.  At first I thought it was a re-mix or that Mark was using some of the alt. vocals and Quad mixes...  Not sure, has Mark made any mention of how he did that one here?   Some of the CDs, 2000's and later can sound as good or better.  Or I just enjoy the differences.  

From Alan Boyd ; http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6941.msg121655.html#msg121655
FYI - These two albums were remastered especially for this release.  We were finally able to locate all of the first generation mixdown masters for the SURF'S UP LP (which were scattered over a number of source reels), and this may have been the first time that SUNFLOWER has been remastered from the first generation tapes, as the tape box itself had been mislabeled.  Mark Linett did a great job with these vintage source tapes, the two albums sound great, and I'm hoping we'll be able to redo the CD versions as well now that we have these new masters to work with.

Also, there's a little surprise in the SUNFLOWER LP.  I found an interesting unused item filed away with the surviving artwork elements, and Tom Recchion at Capitol was inspired to integrate it into the package....

Alan

Mark said: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6941.msg121929.html#msg121929
Glad you like the new vinyl. As Alan indicated we used the original flat mixes for Sunflower  which we found in mislabeled boxes in the EMI vault. It is doubtful that they have been used since the original release , and the sonic difference is significant.

We also made new hi-res HDCD digital masters of both Sunflower and Surfs Up and hope to be able to release those as well.

Mark

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »

RickB

Fingerprints is the best!

Also, Amoeba in LA is basically like walking into any record store 30 years ago: all the Beach Boys vinyl reissues, as well as scattered originals, are there and priced to move.

Sarcasm....

My current fave is Fingerprints in Long Beach.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »

RickB

JB Hi-fi (which is an Australian cd, dvd, game, tv, phone, camera, etc. store) still sells vinyl. All JBs I've been to have vinyl stands. I haven't seen any Beach boys  vinyl although I haven't looked hard. I've seen lots of Beatles vinyl though.

Interesting, and you're right that there's a lot of Vinyl being sold at JB. But I have occasionally seen Pet Sounds, SMiLE and once a Surfin' Safari 50th Anniversary EP (which I got). And in the JB in the city, I've found the Surfin' Safari album (with bonus disc of other BB's songs from that era), and That's Why God Made The Radio. There's most likely a few more there, but I've forgotten lol.
I found Pet Sounds at my local JB Hi-Fi (because they finally organized the vinyl stands in alphabetical order!) but I didn't buy it because it was $38. I've seen it online for $28. JB's vinyl prices are too high, they put the Beatles vinyls up to $40 each!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx