gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 07:28:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 182786 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #900 on: March 21, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »

Tell us more, Andrew...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #901 on: March 21, 2016, 10:45:39 AM »

I think the available details tell most of the basics of the story. Sounds like someone (apparently the promoter and not Mike himself) asked Al to join in for that one show. Al appears to have considered it and made plans to attend, but never signed anything confirming his appearance until he felt comfortable doing so. At some point, the bottom fell out of the plan, by which time, unbeknownst to Al, he was being advertised by the promoter/venue as appearing at the show. Eventually, Al issued a clarification that he would not be attending the show or touring with Mike.

The posting of the show on Al's website schedule for some period of time was the only element where Al seemed to be at fault. But as far as anyone can tell, he didn't "sign" on for the show officially, and someone jumped the gun and started promoting the show (mass e-mail mailings, etc.) with Al's name without telling him.

The part of the story that isn't found in this thread is precisely what led to Al being asked (though many have guessed the promoter instigated the idea due to slow ticket sales for that one gig), and what led to the whole deal falling through. *That* part of the story surely is interesting, and I haven't a clue if those details will ever make it out.

I think everything ended up working out for the best (outside of a full reunion). Al works much better in Brian's band; it's a better fit for Al and for Brian (and his band), and it appears the Jones Beach thing falling through may have freed Al to re-join Brian's band for those two July 2014 gigs, and eventually almost all subsequent Brian gigs. That's not to say Al wouldn't have still joined Brian's tours even if he had done the one gig with Mike. But in terms of scheduling and politics, *not* playing the gig with Mike probably didn't do anything but help ease Al's continued work in Brian's band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 21, 2016, 10:56:12 AM »

myKe luHv had his chance to have an original Beach Boy with an incredible voice be in his band, but he stupidly blew it just like he did with his tarnished legacy. Hopefully, Al will never have to share the stage again with that cornball.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #903 on: March 21, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »

Hmmm, from Andrew's post, I get the feeling there may be more here than meets the eye.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #904 on: March 21, 2016, 11:59:17 PM »

Nah, just indicating another imminent shitstorm.  Grin

Although...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 22, 2016, 01:35:48 AM »

I think the available details tell most of the basics of the story. Sounds like someone (apparently the promoter and not Mike himself) asked Al to join in for that one show. Al appears to have considered it and made plans to attend, but never signed anything confirming his appearance until he felt comfortable doing so. At some point, the bottom fell out of the plan, by which time, unbeknownst to Al, he was being advertised by the promoter/venue as appearing at the show. Eventually, Al issued a clarification that he would not be attending the show or touring with Mike.

The posting of the show on Al's website schedule for some period of time was the only element where Al seemed to be at fault. But as far as anyone can tell, he didn't "sign" on for the show officially, and someone jumped the gun and started promoting the show (mass e-mail mailings, etc.) with Al's name without telling him.

The part of the story that isn't found in this thread is precisely what led to Al being asked (though many have guessed the promoter instigated the idea due to slow ticket sales for that one gig), and what led to the whole deal falling through. *That* part of the story surely is interesting, and I haven't a clue if those details will ever make it out.

I think everything ended up working out for the best (outside of a full reunion). Al works much better in Brian's band; it's a better fit for Al and for Brian (and his band), and it appears the Jones Beach thing falling through may have freed Al to re-join Brian's band for those two July 2014 gigs, and eventually almost all subsequent Brian gigs. That's not to say Al wouldn't have still joined Brian's tours even if he had done the one gig with Mike. But in terms of scheduling and politics, *not* playing the gig with Mike probably didn't do anything but help ease Al's continued work in Brian's band.

That all makes sense. BTW, from the Rolling Stone article about the reunion in 2012, Al sounds completely inept with any kind of technology, so I also am not 100% sure if he actually knew he was being advertised as doing the date.  Really, it sounds fairly likely that the promoter was the main issue, and it was certainly misleading for them to keep Al's name up there long after he had announced he wouldn't be there.  So maybe it shouldn't be an Al vs. Mike shitstorm anyway.  As others have expressed, there are a lot of complicated possibilities that wouldn't have involved a lot of blame on Al or Mike.  Yeah, the BB's are known for doing stupid and destructive things to their relationship with the other band members, past and present, but that doesn't mean it's always their fault. 

Also, I definitely agree that things have worked out well with Al playing with Brian.  You get Brian, Al and Blondie on one side, with Matt Jardine and some of Brian's other long-term sidemen, and you get Mike and Bruce on the other, with Foskett and some other good sidemen, and Dave appearing with both sides from time to time.  I'd LOVE to see another full reunion, but barring that, having basically two touring BB's incarnations is not a bad thing. 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 22, 2016, 01:54:21 AM »

Also, I definitely agree that things have worked out well with Al playing with Brian.  You get Brian, Al and Blondie on one side, with Matt Jardine and some of Brian's other long-term sidemen, and you get Mike and Bruce on the other, with Foskett and some other good sidemen, and Dave appearing with both sides from time to time.  I'd LOVE to see another full reunion, but barring that, having basically two touring BB's incarnations is not a bad thing. 

The interesting thing about that is that while Al and Dave have appeared together since, at various Surf City All-Stars type shows, Dave's not played any shows at all with Brian since then.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #907 on: March 22, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »

Nah, just indicating another imminent shitstorm.  Grin

Although...

That's what I thought...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #908 on: March 23, 2016, 12:23:13 AM »

So... Al's hooking up with Mike and not Brian...?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 23, 2016, 01:04:22 AM »

So... Al's hooking up with Mike and not Brian...?

No, this is a thread from two years ago that someone just bumped. Al was scheduled to play one show with Mike in 2014 and instead decided to perform with Brian on the same day.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx