gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681431 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 08:44:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 184133 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 25, 2014, 09:31:53 AM »

Mike really loves those high dollar hats.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: June 25, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »

And I'm guessing Don Henley wouldn't mind donning one of them as he's cruising Napa Valley or wherever spotting those Deadhead stickers on Cadillacs. Well, in 2014 it might be hybrid Cadillac Escalades with Nine Inch Nails stickers, but same difference.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 25, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »

The mention of The Eagles management brings to mind the fact that real bands have one manager, not three guys with separate management. The reunited Beach Boys never took that step. That would seem rather important in the long term.  It would also help if the main outside person driving the reunion, Joe Thomas, was not overly biased in favor of one guy, which everyone knows he was/is. Though come to think of it, I'm not sure Joe has Brian's interests at heart, either. More like Joe's own interest.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: June 25, 2014, 09:49:49 AM »

Regarding the e-mail, perhaps it was Brian passing on an offer for him (and just him, not Al or David or Brian's band) to join Mike's touring band. Mike made a comment soon after the end of the tour that he lived working with Brian, but unfortunately it was hard to work with him alone. Whether he was referring to Melinda, Al, David, Brian's band, we don't know. But both the comment and the rejection email would make sense if Brian had been invited to tour with Mike and Bruce, but he passed on the invitation.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 25, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »

And I'm guessing Don Henley wouldn't mind donning one of them as he's cruising Napa Valley or wherever spotting those Deadhead stickers on Cadillacs. Well, in 2014 it might be hybrid Cadillac Escalades with Nine Inch Nails stickers, but same difference.

It would have been funny if Mike signed Don Henley's gift bag, "To a great good songwriter".   Razz
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: June 25, 2014, 10:10:32 AM »

The mention of The Eagles management brings to mind the fact that real bands have one manager, not three guys with separate management. The reunited Beach Boys never took that step. That would seem rather important in the long term.  It would also help if the main outside person driving the reunion, Joe Thomas, was not overly biased in favor of one guy, which everyone knows he was/is. Though come to think of it, I'm not sure Joe has Brian's interests at heart, either. More like Joe's own interest.

This is wrong about The Eagles, it's been well documented that the Eagles members not only have individual managers, but that also communications between band members who share the same stage on these tours sometimes get informed of crucial band decisions and business through managers...individual managers, agents, and reps. They each exist as separate entities with separate management structures and teams, as many big-name bands do, including our Beach Boys.

Joe Walsh has his own manager and team, Don Henley, Frey, etc. Wherever you saw info that they all exist under one manager and work "as a team" or whatever is inaccurate.

Just ask Joe Walsh or Don Felder.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 25, 2014, 10:22:52 AM »

This is wrong about The Eagles, it's been well documented that the Eagles members not only have individual managers, but that also communications between band members who share the same stage on these tours sometimes get informed of crucial band decisions and business through managers...individual managers, agents, and reps. They each exist as separate entities with separate management structures and teams, as many big-name bands do, including our Beach Boys.

Joe Walsh has his own manager and team, Don Henley, Frey, etc. Wherever you saw info that they all exist under one manager and work "as a team" or whatever is inaccurate.

But doesn't Irving Azoff act as manager for "The Eagles"?  They might have their own managers for their various solo careers, but they have Azoff for their group business, such as mounting large tours. The Beach Boys could have used an Irving Azoff.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 25, 2014, 10:27:28 AM »

New song on BW's album, "is joe thomas really superman?"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 25, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »

Finally , this fiction about "the people around Brian" , the "wifeandmanagers" or as one poster recently put it " Brian brings along a steamboat full of people" ( I am paraphrasing ) ..so I ask again....who are they ? What are their names ? I would like to meet them .  What do they do for Brian ? And Melinda Wilson doesn't count , she is his wife . Jean Sievers doesn't count , she is his manager/publicist.  So someone please inform me who they are . Names please.

Have a great day , Ray

We're not supposed to know. That's the way it works. That's the way they want it. That's their goal. It's called being Brian Wilson. But, since you asked, I would start with Melinda, his manager/publicist, his attorneys, his accountants, his doctors, his collaborators, maybe bandmates, close friends. I apologize for not knowing their names.

And, why doesn't Melinda count just because she's his wife? She's a lot more than that. It's very naive to think otherwise. I'm sure you know, Ray, that a conservator was appointed before Brian married Melinda.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 25, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »

Finally , this fiction about "the people around Brian" , the "wifeandmanagers" or as one poster recently put it " Brian brings along a steamboat full of people" ( I am paraphrasing ) ..so I ask again....who are they ? What are their names ? I would like to meet them .  What do they do for Brian ? And Melinda Wilson doesn't count , she is his wife . Jean Sievers doesn't count , she is his manager/publicist.  So someone please inform me who they are . Names please.

Have a great day , Ray

We're not supposed to know. That's the way it works. That's the way they want it. That's their goal. It's called being Brian Wilson. But, since you asked, I would start with Melinda, his manager/publicist, his attorneys, his accountants, his doctors, his collaborators, maybe bandmates, close friends. I apologize for not knowing their names.

And, why doesn't Melinda count just because she's his wife? She's a lot more than that. It's very naive to think otherwise. I'm sure you know, Ray, that a conservator was appointed before Brian married Melinda.

You have cojones. I'll give you that!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 25, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »

I sometimes wonder if Brian's career approach is influenced by the fact that his manager is a publicist as well as a manager, and that she started her career as a publicist.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: June 25, 2014, 11:26:26 AM »

Many famous or successful managers in entertainment got their start at places like the William Morris Agency mailroom, then got into doing things like writing press releases, doing grunt-work type of publicity and PR activities, and eventually worked up into the realm of "manager".

One very, very famous manager who became a multi-millionaire and beyond got into the bigger pond of artist management by steaming open letters and other pieces of mail that came through the Morris agency's mailroom, where he had gotten a grunt job, and was able to get the inside news and dirt and where possible act on it before someone else. Competitive sh*t, you know? And he got tipped off on doing that by someone else who worked the same way. No rules, no ethics, just money and pleasing your clients, no holds barred.

Again, nothing new. It's the natural progression of how one gets into the business of managing an entertainer, often from doing low level PR and learning the ropes while making contacts, to going full-out as a rep if you can deliver the goods.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: June 25, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »

But doesn't Irving Azoff act as manager for "The Eagles"?  They might have their own managers for their various solo careers, but they have Azoff for their group business, such as mounting large tours. The Beach Boys could have used an Irving Azoff.

I'd share the link to the article if I can find it, but there was a very in-depth piece written about the inner workings and turmoil surrounding the Eagles, and various squabbles, legal issues, all of that stuff that laid out how messed up their situation is and was regarding the various members. I'll check around to confirm so I don't misquote anything, but Azoff was indeed the architect of the band's career going way back, while a lot of the internal crap they had happen around the various "reunion" tours and projects and the like involved a lot more than a general manager or CEO type of figure like Azoff, and suggested a lot of the band's activities went through the various members' individual teams of managers, lawyers, and the like.

In other words, not too far removed from the Beach Boys!  Smiley

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: June 25, 2014, 11:49:50 AM »

Have a great day , Ray

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 25, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »

As opposed to those who've long ago gone over the fanboy cliff of denial?

Sure  Evil
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:18:16 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 25, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »

Have a great day , Ray

The photos that you're coming up with are great. That recent Marx Brothers one was classic. Keep 'em coming! Cheesy
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: June 25, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »

I'd share the link to the article if I can find it, but there was a very in-depth piece written about the inner workings and turmoil surrounding the Eagles, and various squabbles, legal issues, all of that stuff that laid out how messed up their situation is and was regarding the various members. I'll check around to confirm so I don't misquote anything, but Azoff was indeed the architect of the band's career going way back, while a lot of the internal crap they had happen around the various "reunion" tours and projects and the like involved a lot more than a general manager or CEO type of figure like Azoff, and suggested a lot of the band's activities went through the various members' individual teams of managers, lawyers, and the like.

In other words, not too far removed from the Beach Boys!  Smiley

I'm sure every band member of a group that's had a long tenure like the Eagles and Beach Boys have an army of representation for them.  Once the band becomes a corporation, well that's pretty much the end of the "band" mentality. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 25, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »

This may be the article that Guitarfool is referencing. Believe I posted it here some time ago.

David Spero, former mngr for Joe Walsh and well acquainted with the inner workings of the Eagles.

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2013/07/david_spero_artist-manager_tal.html

Managers informing managers. No wonder so many mega dinosaur acts can't create quality art (with a few exceptions) when their work environment has all the charm of a Fortune 500 boardroom.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 25, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »

One of the worst examples is The Velvet Underground/Steve Sesnick.... The guy basically systematically destroyed them.

Not a mega band but still a good example.

Who manages The stones? They seem to have it down to a fine art.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:49:06 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 25, 2014, 02:18:29 PM »

Pretty much Mick from several articles over the years.
Nicko1234
« Reply #520 on: June 25, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »

Reigniting the whole C50 debate seems pretty redundant to me. It was never ever going to be a long term thing and the current state of the tours is evidence of that. Al and Mike couldn`t even arrange to play one date together while Brian has 4 concerts, I think, scheduled for this year. Mike and Bruce, in contrast, sometimes play 4 shows in the space of two days.

These guys are all human beings and if any one of them doesn`t want to do something then they shouldn`t feel compelled to because some fans think it`s a good idea.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 25, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »

Have a great day , Ray

Hi Sheriff ,

I think you have missed one of my points; Melinda and Jean don't count because anyone who reads this board knows who they are and can name check them. Now I am certain Mike has attorneys, accountants, band mates and friends as well , but I have yet to see a post about "the people around Mike".   Or Al.  Or David. It's only mentioned in a quasi derogatory way about Brian.  Yes Melinda does a lot more than just being his wife, everyone knows that. You don't think Jacquie Love is not seriously involved in the business dealings of the touring band with Mike, or MaryAnne Jardine being seriously involved in Al's career ? Or Carrie Marks with David ? That's why I asked for names as I see variations on the same theme with all the guys , but the derogatory terms are only applied to Brian , which to me is disingenuous at best. My point is that there is no group of handlers surrounding Brian ; he listens to his wife , his publicist and that's about it.

I am more than aware of all of the issues involving Brian's conservancy , which was terminated 15 years ago.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 25, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »

Ray. Thanks for stopping by...again!

Most of us appreciate how complex it is managing Brian's career and his well being together and as I have said before, Melinda and those closest to him 24/7 are best qualified whether we want it or not.

On another note. We appreciate you can't give exact details but any idea how the album is going and when an official announcement may be made about its release date? Same with the movie.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 25, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »

Ray,

Your points are well taken.  Agree or disagree, Brian makes his decisions in consultation with his "advisors," just like everybody else in the business.  I am curious why Brian didn't attend the Ella Awards in Beverly Hills, when his cousin, bandmate and lyricist Mike Love was the recipient.  Couldn't he put aside the acrimony of the past for one night?
Nicko1234
« Reply #524 on: June 25, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »

There have been many comments actually about Mike`s wife`s involvement in the touring band. From them playing a show at one of her fashion shows to the story that she`d taken their private jet to do some shopping and the band had to find other forms of travel plans!?!  Smiley Plus she is credited with getting rid of Adrian Baker so she can`t be all bad.  Wink

To compare Melinda`s role with the role of Al`s wife would also be disingenuous in my opinion.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx