gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:31:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 182410 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 23, 2014, 08:22:55 PM »

Sad situation all around.

Yup. The things that come between legends and the music are truly heartbreaking.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 23, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »

Such a broken family.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 23, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »

That's right.   Yeah, I read Ambha's comments and even out of context I don't see how they are attacking Brian; and I'm a pretty simple guy.

I do agree with you that this has zip to do with the original Al and Mike hot topic; which is making a few people rather (and suprisingly) more excitable than I'd expected, and with your above comment - 'Someone should pull the plug before it gets embarrassing beyond where it already went'

This: Plus Brian doesn't make any of his own decisions he's controlled by people when really my dad and him are friends and people continue to try to split them apart.

A comment like that should never have been posted on an official website or media outlet, not to mention by a younger family member and one of Brian's relatives. There is no need for that, in this simple fan's opinion.

That's all I'm going to say...If the issues a fan like me would have with seeing such a comment aren't obvious, and if it's not considered at least uncalled for, if not just plain wrong and totally misguided/misinformed, I'm not qualified to argue the point beyond common sense from afar. If there are unresolved issues between Brian and Mike, let them talk man-to-man as relatives in private. I don't see how including a younger family member in this kind of public internet dialogue does anyone any bit of good.

I agree with you, here.  There's no reason for family to get involved in this at all, and Ambha really isn't doing her father any favors. She's a bit too quick to jump into the fray, and ends up just repeating the well worn "Mike Love's greatest hits": Mike wants to work with Brian but "forces" keep them from it. Mike got screwed on royalties. Mike's really a great, positive guy.

The sad part, to me:  it's almost like her knowledge of her dad comes from his own interviews.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »

That's right.   Yeah, I read Ambha's comments and even out of context I don't see how they are attacking Brian; and I'm a pretty simple guy.

I do agree with you that this has zip to do with the original Al and Mike hot topic; which is making a few people rather (and suprisingly) more excitable than I'd expected, and with your above comment - 'Someone should pull the plug before it gets embarrassing beyond where it already went'

This: Plus Brian doesn't make any of his own decisions he's controlled by people when really my dad and him are friends and people continue to try to split them apart.

A comment like that should never have been posted on an official website or media outlet, not to mention by a younger family member and one of Brian's relatives. There is no need for that, in this simple fan's opinion.

That's all I'm going to say...If the issues a fan like me would have with seeing such a comment aren't obvious, and if it's not considered at least uncalled for, if not just plain wrong and totally misguided/misinformed, I'm not qualified to argue the point beyond common sense from afar. If there are unresolved issues between Brian and Mike, let them talk man-to-man as relatives in private. I don't see how including a younger family member in this kind of public internet dialogue does anyone any bit of good.

I agree with you, here.  There's no reason for family to get involved in this at all, and Ambha really isn't doing her father any favors. She's a bit too quick to jump into the fray, and ends up just repeating the well worn "Mike Love's greatest hits": Mike wants to work with Brian but "forces" keep them from it. Mike got screwed on royalties. Mike's really a great, positive guy.

The sad part, to me:  it's almost like her knowledge of her dad comes from his own interviews.

I agree that it's bad form (as AGD might say) for them to post these sorts of things on FB, but Ambha knows her father a hell of a lot better than anyone on here or some random poster on FB. None of us can speak to Mike's personal relationship with Brian and frankly, it's none of our business, but Mike did get screwed out of royalties (according to the courts) and for all we know he very well may be a great, positive guy.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 23, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »

They aren't arguing over anything new. These are the same two 'sides' fighting as ten years ago, right? I'd be worried if it were a new issue being fought publicly...but it's not.

I want what everyone else wants: another reunion tour, with all the Beach Boys involved. This mess with Al is hopefully just a bump in the road - and it *really* sucks for the any fan going to see the Jones Beach Show - but I don't think this will be what keeps another reunion from happening.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 23, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »

On a business note, if Live Nation was using Al in their promotion before he signed on the dotted line then its a fail for them. I think it is pretty sloppy that 2 years after the C50 they still use that line-up in their advertising.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 23, 2014, 09:23:02 PM »

Did Al ever think it could be good for his career to maintain good relations with Live Nation? Not that he's likely to ever have a solo concert that would be on that scale, but one never knows. Also, playing with Mike the one time could have given some publicity that may have been useful for his future solo projects, should they happen.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 23, 2014, 10:38:52 PM »

ugh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 23, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »

Man, you guys are a bit touchy!

Brian is your idol, and I understand that. He's one of mine too...... But look at the level of turbo charged Mike bashing that happens each and every day on both YouTube, and Facebook (alone) anytime ANYTHING Beach Boys related gets posted! That's all fine and good, but then you guys can't handle a young girl's opinion on the matter when her own father is one of the involved??? ....... She also just might ......... JUST MIGHT be privy to information all of us aren't ..... It's a reasonable possibility.

So, she could have worded the thing about Brian writing "several" classic arrangements or being controlled by people a bit better, but the point was to defend her dad, and she did! You guys should really be grown up enough to be able to handle it and respect it.... This is also a girl who has to see endless comment streams of folk calling her dad everything from a talentless asshole, to as much worse as possible on a daily basis, and she's supposed to edit herself from (perhaps clumsily) suggesting her father did some cool stuff too? Or to speak what she knows or sees as the truth regarding Brian and his people? IF true, it's a deeply valid point since we're all sitting here wondering just why these guys just can't communicate.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:44:59 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 23, 2014, 11:23:39 PM »

Brian is your idol, and I understand that. He's one of mine too...... But look at the level of turbo charged Mike bashing that happens each and every day on both YouTube, and Facebook (alone) anytime ANYTHING Beach Boys related gets posted! That's all fine and good, but then you guys can't handle a young girl's opinion on the matter when her own father is one of the involved??? ....... She also just might ......... JUST MIGHT be privy to information all of us aren't ..... It's a reasonable possibility.

So, she could have worded the thing about Brian writing "several" classic arrangements or being controlled by people a bit better, but the point was to defend her dad, and she did! You guys should really be grown up enough to be able to handle it and respect it.... This is also a girl who has to see endless comment streams of folk calling her dad everything from a talentless asshole, to as much worse as possible on a daily basis, and she's supposed to edit herself from (perhaps clumsily) suggesting her father did some cool stuff too? Or to speak what she knows or sees as the truth regarding Brian and his people? IF true, it's a deeply valid point since we're all sitting here wondering just why these guys just can't communicate.

Just so I'm clear, Pinder (and with respect of course), I have no probs with Ambha's comments - they're pretty spunky, right on in my book and from a family member living the life (replete with bodyguards at times), not just peering through the window.

On the previous page GF expressed an opinion that Ambha had used her comments (ie, those copied to this board) as an opportunity to throw Brian under a bus; I disagree with that reading - and GF and I won't see eye to eye on that item.

I get concerned when people start to decide what BB Members, Family and Friends should and shouldn't say in any public or private sphere.

However, I do agree with the sentiment of GF's observation that the original issue re the Jone's beach show is losing focus as things devolve into ye olde Mike versus Brian rumble; and it would be great for the involved parties to show some sort of united front to address the issue and allay the disappointment of those directly impacted (ie disgruntled ticket holders)

Anyhoo, that's my bad for not making myself clear earlier on.  Are we good? - Al

PS - given Brian's been thrown under a bus, should we refer to this issue as the Brian Jone's Beach Massacre moving fwd?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:26:32 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 24, 2014, 12:09:37 AM »

Al backs out of a show and certain BB 'fans' use it as an excuse to bash Mike once again. Can't say I blame his young daughter for wanting to set the record straight on this one.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 24, 2014, 12:12:54 AM »

Just so I'm clear, Pinder (and with respect of course), I have no probs with Ambha's comments - they're pretty spunky, right on in my book and from a family member living the life (replete with bodyguards at times), not just peering through the window.

On the previous page GF expressed an opinion that Ambha's had used her comments (ie, those copied to this board) as an opportunity to throw Brian under a bus; I disagree with that reading - and GF and I won't see eye to eye on that item.

I get concerned when people start to decide what BB Members, Family and Friends should and shouldn't say in any public or private sphere.

However, I do agree with the sentiment of GF's observation that the original issue re the Jone's beach show is losing focus as things devolve into ye olde Mike versus Brian rumble; and it would be great for the involved parties to show some sort of united front to address the issue to allay the disappointment of those directly impacted (ie disgruntled ticket holders)

Anyhoo, that's my bad for not making myself clear earlier on.  Are we good? - Al

PS - given Brian's been thrown under a bus, should we refer to this issue as the Brian Jone's Beach Massacre moving fwd?

The Great Wilson Bus Massacre of 2014?

Very well put ..... but I see why Ambha would be compelled to dredge into the past ..... because nothing is really ever the past in Beach Boys land, hence the endless whirpool of threads based around how big and bad and evil her father was to poor Brian and VDP 40 something years ago. Each and every Beach Boy issue seems to bring up the same old crap and Mike bashing. And for a young person coming up in the world and becoming aware of all this: especially in our overdriven information age: it's just got to be staggering and absolutely maddening.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:16:46 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 24, 2014, 12:23:05 AM »

Something doesn't add up here. Al receives notification from Live Nation about Jones Beach. He's (apparently) miffed that the offer comes through a third party. We do know that he posts about Jones Beach on his Facebook feed - but did he EVER pick up the phone (pretty much immediately) and contact Mike to settle the issue?

Something like - 'hey Mike, it's Al...I'm excited about Jones Beach man, but WTF...do you really want me down there? Is this really happening? Is this a one shot thing? What exactly is going on?'

A conversation like that should've gone down within 48 hours after hearing from Live Nation. Right? I mean, that's what normal people would do... Roll Eyes

I'm happy about his shows with Bri, but sheez...all of this should've hit and breezed over a long time ago.

Regarding Ambha, I'm reminded about athletes' use of twitter. It's incredible to me how many people (regardless of their age) have no self governor when posting sh*t online. When the game's on the line (or the show's about to start) get your ass off twitter et al unless you know how to ride that media tiger. Many people, most people, don't.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 24, 2014, 01:20:36 AM »

Something doesn't add up here. Al receives notification from Live Nation about Jones Beach. He's (apparently) miffed that the offer comes through a third party. We do know that he posts about Jones Beach on his Facebook feed - but did he EVER pick up the phone (pretty much immediately) and contact Mike to settle the issue?

Sobering thought:  these guys might not even have each others' home phone numbers any more.  Hell, how many different home numbers would Al have to try to find where Mike was these days?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 24, 2014, 01:25:36 AM »

Sobering thought:  these guys might not even have each others' home phone numbers any more.  Hell, how many different home numbers would Al have to try to find where Mike was these days?

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Cue up "Had To Phone Ya"  Evil
Nicko1234
« Reply #365 on: June 24, 2014, 02:15:52 AM »

This is more like it. The soap opera element has cranked up another notch.

With a bit of luck Ambha and Drew will be part of the touring band in 20 years (when Matt and Christian have retired) and the traveling circus can continue forevermore!!!  Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: June 24, 2014, 02:32:59 AM »

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm waiting for Melinda's comment on Ambah's statement about the "no more shows for Wilson's" email that was sent. I can't imagine Ambah made it up, and it does support Mike's comment about that last year. So, looks like it was the Wilson's who said no to more than 73 gigs.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 24, 2014, 02:46:52 AM »

Well within her right to reply I guess but I would hope she has the nous not to get into a social media spat with someone barely out of childhood.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 24, 2014, 02:49:02 AM »

What's' with all the apostrophe's'?'

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 24, 2014, 02:59:15 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

You haevn't picked up that the way to hire/ fire band mates of long standing is done by email nowadays?  Thud
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: June 24, 2014, 03:08:54 AM »

What's' with all the apostrophe's'?'

Borrowed iPad.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 24, 2014, 03:52:03 AM »

1) can't blame Ambah for defending his father of such stupid and hateful attacks on his fellow beach boy fanpage.
2) when did Al become sad because it was Live Nation who contacted him? Before or after he said "yes"?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Nicko1234
« Reply #372 on: June 24, 2014, 04:00:12 AM »

1) can't blame Ambah for defending his father of such stupid and hateful attacks on his fellow beach boy fanpage.
2) when did Al become sad because it was Live Nation who contacted him? Before or after he said "yes"?

Classic.
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 24, 2014, 04:32:39 AM »

We know that Al is keen to be "out there" performing the music that he loves and that he's worked quite a bit with Brian over the last three years, so perhaps he was interested in performing with Mike but not altogether happy with the manner of the approach or that it wasn't likely to be a regular thing and decided that working Brian was a better offer on any number of levels. It's probably fair to assume that he feels more loyalty to Brian and that he's on better terms with Brian than he is with Mike. It's probably all a sensitive area for Al, in that he presumably feels he should be entitled to tour with or as the Beach Boys and that being asked to play a show as a one-off is a bit like receiving an invite to your own party.

It's a typically shabby affair though and it's a huge shame that what could have been something of an olive branch has turned into yet another public disagreement of sorts. Al's announcement isn't unpleasant, but yet again it's something that could have been handled much better than it has been. Just say that you're not now able to play the show (or never were) but that it would have been a nice occasion and that you wish Mike and the rest of the band the best of luck for what you're sure will be a great show. Rise above it, keep things friendly and everyone's happy!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 24, 2014, 05:59:14 AM »

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm waiting for Melinda's comment on Ambah's statement about the "no more shows for Wilson's" email that was sent. I can't imagine Ambah made it up, and it does support Mike's comment about that last year. So, looks like it was the Wilson's who said no to more than 73 gigs.

Yeah, I realize that comment "no more shows for Wilson's" isn't on topic for this particular thread, but the silence of the responses HERE is deafening. Pages and pages and pages of blaming Mike for "ending" the reunion tour...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx