gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:23:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 182415 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »

From the petoskey article:

How do you think the Beach Boys would “go over” in today’s music industry?

I think we’d be OK if we had the right producer. Country music is an area of landscape music these days that provides a great opportunity for great song value and that’s what is important. As long as there is an outlet for great songs, we would do well. As long as you have a subject matter to relate to and an audience that enjoys it, we’d be all right.

Stars & stripes vol. 2?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »

They haven't learned a thing. Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »

Hm. This is not personel change. Foskett was Brian's de facto assistant and bodyguard for many years. He was his security blanket on stage; Brian's demo singer, etc. This is a falling out of epic proportions.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »

Interesting they are playing at the L.A. Arboretum.  Not a typical concert venue.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »

They haven't learned a thing. Cry

Nope.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:35 PM »

The orchestra plays concerts on the lawn at the L.A. Arboretum in the summer, although i haven't heard of pop concetrs before.

I would imagine Jeff Foskett is like everyone else, if BW isn't touring, he needs a paycheck.  He's a natural for the M&B band.  Wasn't he at the Ella Awards?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »

Hm. This is not personel change. Foskett was Brian's de facto assistant and bodyguard for many years. He was his security blanket on stage; Brian's demo singer, etc. This is a falling out of epic proportions.

And yet it can't be totally unexpected. Brian has a long history of running through "best friends": Gary Usher, Mike Love, Michael Vosse, Danny Hutton, the Landy Era, Andy Paley, Don Was, David Leaf, Joe Thomas, Jeff Foskett...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2014, 01:02:53 PM »

Maybe Brian doesn't need no handler any more!  We've discussed him driving around LA on his own.  What next?  Strap on the bass and sing the falsetto's once again Wink
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »

Brian has been driving on his own for years. Jeff was never a full time handler/bodyguard/aide-de-camp. I had the impression he was only around during tours or sometimes at other public appearances.

I'm glad Al and Mike are getting along. They go back a long ways and it was a shame that Mike fired him from the touring Beach Boys in the first place.  They had  more continuous relationship, as touring Beach Boys, than Al ever had with Brian Wilson.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »

How about Ray Lawlor?  He must know what's going on.
Here is what I know. When I read this I called Brian; got him at the studio and he was pretty preoccupied . When I told him about Jeff he did not know about it but he said :"REALLY??  Godd..nit that's great for Jeff; he loves the Beach Boys , he'll be great with them. ". He was working on one of the tracks on the new album.  I do know there is a fall tour in the planning stages with the full band; I saw someone posted something about Darian not being around; Darian is working on the musical stuff in "Love and Mercy" he's not going anywhere. Those guys love Brian !
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2014, 01:13:04 PM »

Exactly.  Jeff's departure really paints a very specific picture on the status of Brian's future work--unless of course Brian is at a place now where he feels he doesn't need that "security blanket" anymore (which speaks on how great his health is these days).  But still, Jeff's been there for a long while.  I hope Jeff's reasons for leaving weren't personal but more practical.  Brian works so sporadically yet Mike works all the time.  Could be as simple as that.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »

Thank you for clearing that up a bit Ray!  Good to know Brian's planning a tour later in the year. Grin
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »

How about Ray Lawlor?  He must know what's going on.
Here is what I know. When I read this I called Brian; got him at the studio and he was pretty preoccupied . When I told him about Jeff he did not know about it but he said :"REALLY??  Godd..nit that's great for Jeff; he loves the Beach Boys , he'll be great with them. ". He was working on one of the tracks on the new album.  I do know there is a fall tour in the planning stages with the full band; I saw someone posted something about Darian not being around; Darian is working on the musical stuff in "Love and Mercy" he's not going anywhere. Those guys love Brian !

Thanks, Ray.  Really appreciate your willingness to share and post with us here.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »

For Ray:

Jeff has been away from Brian for a couple of months now. I'm surprised Brian acts so surprised to hear that he's not "with him" anymore, at least for now. I have a feeling he DOES know what's going on.

Ray, I remember a couple of years ago that you kinda played down the fact that Brian had back issues. I know what I saw in June of that year, and Brian did not look good at all physically. You said he was subsequently operated on and things were a lot better. Seems a lot of the pictures I see lately are of Brian sitting down. He likes to sit down. And he seems to have gained weight. Are you still saying Brian is in good physical shape, at least as far as you can say? If Brian tours this Fall, I'll be a little surprised......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »

I think it's great that Mike and Al reunite! This is a gift for us all. Jeff's reason to join the BBs may be practical as KittyKat said. And maybe he will act as a "Carl" more so than a "Brian". In any case, Jeff is not a part of this new album, by all reports, and seemed to be out of the BW scene by the time of the Ella Awards. But then, maybe I should bite my toungue... The current BBs thing is starting to look like a real family, with the guys getting along and singing in different settings with each other. Seems like peace came to the valley and we lived long enough to see it!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2014, 02:16:29 PM »

For Ray:

Jeff has been away from Brian for a couple of months now. I'm surprised Brian acts so surprised to hear that he's not "with him" anymore, at least for now. I have a feeling he DOES know what's going on.

Ray, I remember a couple of years ago that you kinda played down the fact that Brian had back issues. I know what I saw in June of that year, and Brian did not look good at all physically. You said he was subsequently operated on and things were a lot better. Seems a lot of the pictures I see lately are of Brian sitting down. He likes to sit down. And he seems to have gained weight. Are you still saying Brian is in good physical shape, at least as far as you can say? If Brian tours this Fall, I'll be a little surprised......

Mickie,

What I said was that Brian did not know Jeff had become a full time member of the touring Beach Boys; not that Jeff hadn't been around for a few months.

I do remember your post from 2012 ; it was at the Jones Beach show I believe.  Yes, Brian had just had a procedure done on his back and subsequently ,after C50 had a more serious procedure to further alleviate the problem. He is much better now and says it doesnt hurt him anymore As far as his weight; he was well "up there" during C50 but I believe he has lost some weight since then; I can't vouch for that as I haven't seen him in a few months as I live in New York and haven't been out to LA .

If there is a chair to sit in within 30 yards Brian will find it.  Nothing new about that !

As far as the tour ; he is going to the UK and Ireland in July, so I don't see why there wouldn't be a fall tour.

Cheers Ray
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »

I normally hate speculation but here's my take any way… Smiley

Great to see Al and Mike and Dave and Bruce back together. The more Beach Boys can be squeezed on to one stage the better.

I'm sure Jeff F. wouldn't have crossed the floor if it would have upset Brian one iota. Brian migh not have been aware of it when Ray spoke to him just now, but I bet he was when Jeff raised the subject at the time! I also think Jeff's falsetto will suit the BBs better than it has Brian's band, at least to my ear. That M&B line-up, however occasional, will be stronger for it.

The reported permanent nature of Jeff's new post is slightly more odd given Brian's UK Hop Farm date this summer which clashes with a BBs gig far as I can see. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jeff returned to Brian's band for the odd outing and Christian or Matt filled in with M&B when called upon.

Hell, some of this might even have been sketched out during sessions for Brian's next album.

And I sure as hell wouldn't be surprised if Brian gets on stage for the occasional work out with the M&B band if his pals Al, Jeff and Dave are there too occasionally*.

Neither would I be surprised if Mike and Bruce guest on Brian's next album, or if Brian's next album turns out to have been a Beach boys album for some time now. I reckon they've done their overdubs already, personally, and Joe's just autotunin them ready for mixing.

Because I lived through 2012. And nothing the Beach Boys do can surprise me now.

I think** hatchets has been buried.

* AGD has already mentioned the Pet Sounds gigs in 2016 and no-one called him out on it. Was he joking? He might be never tell!
** and wish and hope and pray…
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:25:24 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »

For Ray:

Mickie,

What I said was that Brian did not know Jeff had become a full time member of the touring Beach Boys; not that Jeff hadn't been around for a few months.

I do remember your post from 2012 ; it was at the Jones Beach show I believe.  Yes, Brian had just had a procedure done on his back and subsequently ,after C50 had a more serious procedure to further alleviate the problem. He is much better now and says it doesnt hurt him anymore As far as his weight; he was well "up there" during C50 but I believe he has lost some weight since then; I can't vouch for that as I haven't seen him in a few months as I live in New York and haven't been out to LA .

If there is a chair to sit in within 30 yards Brian will find it.  Nothing new about that !

As far as the tour ; he is going to the UK and Ireland in July, so I don't see why there wouldn't be a fall tour.

Cheers Ray

Ray, thanks for the clarification.  By the way, can I come over to your house and hear those Lucky Old Sun demos you were talking about last week? I'll bring my own food and wine/beer.   Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »

For Ray:

Mickie,

Cheers Ray

Ray, thanks for the clarification.  By the way, can I come over to your house and hear those Lucky Old Sun demos you were talking about last week? I'll bring my own food and wine/beer.   Smiley

Mikie,

Sure.  Bring some Stella Artois

Cheers. Ray
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2014, 03:31:20 PM »

I wouldve thought there would be about five threads about Jeff leaving already...I've heard rumblings for a bit but didn't know the news had been confirmed until just now!

edit

stupid phone caused a really weird typo above that I have now fixed.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:20:29 PM by Animal Pharm » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »

How about Ray Lawlor?  He must know what's going on.

Thanks for this!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »

Man no one to sing Carl's part on Kokomo! Guess they're gonna have to cut that from the set Wink

… unless Jeff Foskett also puts in an appearance    Shocked

I nominate this for "Most Hilarious Foreshadowing of the Month".

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2014, 05:08:45 PM »

From the petoskey article:

How do you think the Beach Boys would “go over” in today’s music industry?

I think we’d be OK if we had the right producer. Country music is an area of landscape music these days that provides a great opportunity for great song value and that’s what is important. As long as there is an outlet for great songs, we would do well. As long as you have a subject matter to relate to and an audience that enjoys it, we’d be all right.

Stars & stripes vol. 2?

Great, Mike recruits Foskett, Jardine, and Marks for..... "Stars and Stripes Vol. 2." The one scenario where I would probably vote against another reunion.

I have a theory. Mike first recruited Foskett in 1981 for a few gigs to promote "Looking Back with Love." So there you have it folks, I'm calling it, Foskett is coming back for the "Looking Back With Love - 33rd Anniversary Tour" project!

If Mike grows the full beard back and wears a Dodgers cap, and does every song including the Abba cover song, I'll actually buy a ticket....   Grin

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2014, 08:35:54 PM »

There's been a fall date for Brian announced:
Oct. 9 -- Modesto, CA (Gallo Center for the Arts)

Source: http://www.modbee.com/2014/05/14/3340405/brian-wilson-natalie-cole-among.html
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2014, 01:35:28 AM »

and Joe's just autotunin them ready for mixing.

Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx