gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:01:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 182690 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2014, 07:02:25 AM »

Why even keep touring if they can't do Kokomo  Cry

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2014, 07:53:22 AM »

Man no one to sing Carl's part on Kokomo! Guess they're gonna have to cut that from the set Wink

… unless Jeff Foskett also puts in an appearance    Shocked

“We live in divisive times.”
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »

Going by AGD's posts I don't think there will be any retractions, as this is happening!  I've also said here many times that the Boys probably don't have as big an issue with each other as some people may think.  Maybe they'll do a run of Pet Sounds shows at the RFH, or somewhere similar, in London in 2016.   In the meantime, I hope the BAM Boys come to the UK soon for a mini tour (with David too).

Correct: the Boys don't have too much problem with each other on a personal basis.

If I read correctly, this confirms my (uninformed) guess that the end of the 2012 celebration is the result, or the effect of some sort of girl fight. It's the wives!

So the 14 piece band, Brian's tour requirements and his health never came into it?

It's all down to a cat fight, my friend.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »

Founding member leaves group. Spot filled by replacement.

Replacement leaves group. Spot filled by founding member.

Not the norm in R&R!

This is exciting! I hope it works out. Now I don't see why David can't be added too, him and Scott can trade leads!

AS for Christians vocals, last summer he sang "Getcha Back" "Then I Kissed Her" and "Good Vibrations". Obviously the first should be done by Mike in the first place, but if they never played this again I don't think anyone would run home crying. The second was Al's lead anyway, and the latter has been done by Randell Kirsch in the past. So this would be a very easy transition!

Never cared much for Christian....he has the stage presence of a celery stick.

But aren't you the guy who hates seeing extra musicians on a concert stage?  Seeing a symphony orchestra must put you in a rage.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »

Can't say I disagree with this assessment.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2014, 09:28:47 AM »

Agree! It's a dirty shame, he has no stage presence at all.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2014, 09:57:15 AM »

He even was bitten once when they performed Vegetables.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2014, 10:04:24 AM »

Has this been posted?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-plan-tour-to-celebrate-50-years-of-fun-fun-fun-20140515

The tour also marks the introduction of singer/guitarist Jeffrey Foskett, who has worked regularly with the group since 1981, as a permanent member of the Beach Boys touring band. He'll replace Love's son Christian, who left the group to pursue a solo career ("As talented as he is, I hope he’ll still want to join his dad on stage every once and a while," the elder Love added).

??!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2014, 10:09:02 AM »

Whoa, crazy sh*t is going down in BBs land right now.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2014, 10:19:59 AM »

Wait?!? What?!? Say that again???
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:20:56 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2014, 10:23:39 AM »

No kidding!  I read that and said "Um...what??"

Naturally, it raises a whole bunch of questions now.  Is Jeff's move to Mike's band a sign that Brian has all but stopped touring?  Was there a falling out between Jeff and the Brian camp?  Will both camps "share" Jeff?  One thing is for sure, Mike's band works much much more than Brian so Jeff will definitely keep busy.  I wonder how much Jeff's presence will change the sound of the live band?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2014, 10:25:56 AM »

Whatever happens from here, note to Brian, Melinda, and Joe Thomas: Do not call Adrian Baker! LOL

Wonder if Matt Jardine will get the call for Brian's tour.... We could have bizarro land where Foskett is with Mike, Matt Jardine is with Brian, and Al with Mike, or Mike and Brian, or neither.

Is it too desperate to hope, rather than having a falling out with Brian, Foskett is brokering another reunion? LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »

Mike's band has split the falsettos between Randell Kirsch and Scott Totten, so is Jeff being brought in more of a Carl/Al role like Christian was in, or are they shifting vocals around?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »

Has anyone noticed that a lot of the personnel changes in Mike's band happen around July 4th? I wonder if there are annual contracts that expire around that time.

Also worth noting that David Marks will be at the Jones beach show too.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2014, 10:33:31 AM »

That article also confirms Jardine and Marks for just the one New York show

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »

While stepping away from Brian’s operation is an interesting and relatively surprise move, Foskett working with Mike is not surprising. As I’m sure we all know, Mike got Foskett in the band in 1981 the first time. But also, a fan told me once that Foskett told them that when the whole BB universe splintered in 1998, Mike tried to get Foskett in his band back then, in the 98/99 timeframe (this fan claimed he also said Al tried to recruit him for his band as well at that time).

A bit odd that Mike is filling Christian Love’s spot with another falsetto guy. Don’t Kirsche (and in come cases Totten) do most of the falsetto parts in Mike’s band?

Another question: Can anyone else in Brian’s band do the falsettos, or will he have to bring in Matt Jardine or another falsetto guy? Taylor Mills could be brought back, but her doing all of the falsetto parts would sound weird.

I can’t imagine Brian is simply quitting touring. He has a couple European shows booked, and he’s supposedly touring later this year behind a new album and/or the biopic.

Also kind of sad that Foskett is now “permanently” in Mike’s band, but Al and Dave get an apparent (for now) one-shot appearance? I’m more interested in whether Al and Dave figure into more future plans than Foskett joining. Some of the shows already booked and on sale may be sold out before fans (e.g. myself) could scramble to get tickets if Al and Dave were on board for more Mike/Bruce shows. I’m not sure I would go, but it would be pretty hard to pass up seeing Al and Dave.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:37:26 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2014, 10:36:28 AM »

And then there's this:

http://www.petoskeynews.com/graphic/music/now-hear-this-an-interview-with-mike-love-of-the/article_664793fa-dc52-11e3-b7b2-001a4bcf6878.html

As an original member, what can you tell me about the current lineup?

"It is myself, Bruce Johnston who joined in 1965. John Cowsill of the Cowsills who is a fantastic drummer. He’s been drumming since he was 8 or 9. Then we have our lead guitar, Scott Totten, and he is our musical director and in charge of quality control. Tim Bonhomme is the keyboardist from Canada does the synthesized part. On bass, Randall Kirsch, who’s been performing with us for many years. Christian Love, my son, what he primarily does with the group is sing my cousin, Carl Wilson’s part. There’s seven of us on stage and we have a wonderful time. We are really fortunate to have a really great crew and have a really tight band, so we’re really fortunate."

This show is only two days before Jeff Foskett's debut.  But there's also this:

Where do you see the future of the Beach Boys heading?

"Year after year we have opportunities in tour. We’re going perform in Tel Aviv in November. We’ve never been there. We’ll be in Paris before that. A lot of great things to come. I’m having a dialogue with Al Jardine and we’re talking about doing stuff together creatively. There are a lot of things left to do and a lot of creativities left to be manifested. As long as you like doing what you’re doing creatively there’s no real time limit on anything."
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »

Yep, I was going to point out that the RS article confirms David Marks for the Jones Beach engagement, as well, but Eric beat me to the punch.  This sounds like it will be a terrific show for anyone who can make it!

So really, all we need is Brian now and I'll be an embarrassment of riches.  Even if it's only for a one-off show with everyone together, it would be nice (and I'll keep pushing my idea for a luxurious, pull out all of the stops super show like the C50 RAH show, this time, in the tropical climes of Hawaii).

Better yet, get them all together in a studio again for an album, and it will be paradise.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »

And did you check out the tour schedule?  Arcadia, CA on the 22nd of June to Surrey, UK on the 24th.  Rattvick, Sweden on July the 1st to Long Island, NY on the 5th.  Peachtree, GA on July the 12th to Epsom, UK on the 17th.  York, UK on the the 25th of July to Ocean Grove, NJ on the 26th.  Wow, these guys are logging some miles this summer.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2014, 10:57:58 AM »

Mike and Al working together creatively? The M&B Beach Boys getting a second guitarist who actually wants to be there? Brian's plans uncertain, with regard to both studio output and touring?

LET THE RABID SPECULATION COMMENCE!!!

This is going to be fun, one way or another. I wonder if Al/Mike(/Bruce?) would try to put out Autumn in Paradise under the Beach Boys' name. Imagine the fights in the halls of BRI over THAT.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2014, 11:29:51 AM »

Do you think Mike and Al will get a room?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »

A sea change within both Brian and the M&B camp. Intriguing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »

We need an insider to let us know what's going on.  Scott Totten, are you reading this?  Somebody?

Confirm what's going on in Beach Boys camp? Confirm what's going on in Brian's camp?

There's some Beach Boys gigs coming up in the Bay Area and Tahoe.  Doubt that Al (and Foskett) or David will be there, but if they are, I might spring for tickets.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:38:42 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »

How about Ray Lawlor?  He must know what's going on.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »

We need an insider to let us know what's going on.  Scott Totten, are you reading this?  Somebody?

Confirm what's going on in Beach Boys camp? Confirm what's going on in Brian's camp?

There's some Beach Boys gigs coming up in the Bay Area and Tahoe.  Doubt that Al (and Foskett) or David will be there, but if they are, I might spring for tickets.

Based on the information we have, if Foskett is joining permanently coming up soon here, then you should get Foskett at the bay area dates. The big question would indeed be regarding Dave and Al. One would think that while it wouldn’t goose the ticket sales a ton, they would capitalize on doubling the amount of “actual” Beach Boys in the band by announcing any substantial tour featuring Al and Dave before tickets go on sale. That could only help ticket sales, or help book more/better/bigger venues.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx