gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:18:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 182682 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2014, 08:47:42 AM »

'The Beach Boys' must be one of the messiest groups of all time.........

have you ever tried to explain to people who know nothing about the group, who is original and why did this one leave etc etc Huh?

so who's this dave guy? so Brian left? but then he is back? and left? and back?

so Bruce replaces Brian then he leaves? and is back? and Carl leaves? and back? etc etc etc

so Mike is the only original member? so is Bruce an 'original' member?Huh bla bla bla

it's hard work when you think about it.....

RickB
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »

To be fair, in various forms the band has been going for 53 years which is un-charted waters really.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »

So if this does happen, what could realistically be added to the set for Al:

Come Go With Me
All This Is That
Cottonfields
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »

I could also see You're So Good To Me with Al on lead or even Isn't it Time or Cal Saga. Obviously the ultimate be honkin down the highway or Lookin at Tomorrow.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »

Assuming this happens and  isn't a one off

You're So Good To Me
Something else off Pet Sounds?
California Saga: California
Heroes and Villains
Good Timin? ( he shared this with Brian during C50)

Plus his leads back on Rhonda, Sloop, Surfer Girl, Then I Kissed Her, California Dreamin, maybe even WIBN

baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »

Al has sung You Still Believe in Me in the past so maybe that. And also I wonder if Matt might do these gigs with him? That would open up even more songs.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2014, 07:30:03 PM »

Thanks Dude. I am away at a conference (really a high school social studies substitute but still pretending to be a professor).  I agree with the Dude 100%--just hoping for the best in terms of BB unity and future collaboration.

The Professor

And "the professor" should be adding his two cents (about how Melinda is keeping Brian from reuniting with Mike and how five 70 years should get in a room against their will to make music for him) in three, two......

Nah but for real, good to see Al is working with Mike. It was awesome to see him working with Brian in the photos last week, and now this with Mike. So at least it looks like most of the group is cool with each other. Now if the Brian/Mike thing could get worked out, who knows??? Maybe we'll get some more stuff from the real Beach Boys. Probably not this year or next. But probably just in time for 2016. Which conveniently is going to be the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds. Which sure sounds to me like a great idea to reunite again!
Nicko1234
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »

I would suspect that if Al does appear then they would probably play the songs that the band have rehearsed in the past. So probably nothing too rare (I could be wrong) but the hits and some covers like Then I Kissed Her and maybe Cottonfields.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2014, 12:16:33 AM »

I thought Sebastian toured with The Spoonful?! That is so weird he doesn't, Sebastian is the band to me considering he wrote and sang all of their best stuff.
John mostly performs as a solo, just him as his guitar. Had a jug band for awhile in the 90's, occasionally teams up with other musicians like David Grisman and Larry Campbell. But I agree, he was the Spoonful to me. John and Zal were the frontmen; Steve and Joe were the rhythm section - but a very good one. Love their segment on the TNT Show.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2014, 07:16:23 AM »

Is it too early to refer a Bruce, Al and Mike line-up as BAM? Grin

Also as the powers that be check these boards out I am surprised no correction or retraction has been sent out from Live Nation. Maybe there is something too it after all.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:19:08 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2014, 11:26:57 AM »

So my question remains...if David joins up, it's basically the Beach Boys reunited minus Brian...so how would those of you who side 100% with Brian vs M&B (for the record, I prefer them all together) feel about such a development?

I'd be entirely happy with an arrangement with a full touring Beach Boys and Brian staying at home working on their next album.  Cuz, y'know, it's worked before!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I agree, that would be classic BBs.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »

Going by AGD's posts I don't think there will be any retractions, as this is happening!  I've also said here many times that the Boys probably don't have as big an issue with each other as some people may think.  Maybe they'll do a run of Pet Sounds shows at the RFH, or somewhere similar, in London in 2016.   In the meantime, I hope the BAM Boys come to the UK soon for a mini tour (with David too).
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2014, 12:13:42 AM »

Is it too early to refer a Bruce, Al and Mike line-up as BAM? Grin

Also as the powers that be check these boards out I am surprised no correction or retraction has been sent out from Live Nation. Maybe there is something too it after all.

Cheesy "BAM" is good! If Dave joined too would it be "DAMB" or "BAMD"?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2014, 01:50:59 AM »

Going by AGD's posts I don't think there will be any retractions, as this is happening!  I've also said here many times that the Boys probably don't have as big an issue with each other as some people may think.  Maybe they'll do a run of Pet Sounds shows at the RFH, or somewhere similar, in London in 2016.   In the meantime, I hope the BAM Boys come to the UK soon for a mini tour (with David too).

Correct: the Boys don't have too much problem with each other on a personal basis.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TheLastOfMyKind
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »

From what I hear Christian Love is leaving the band, so the touring Beach Boys will need another guitar on stage!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2014, 07:13:24 PM »

Correct: the Boys don't have too much problem with each other on a personal basis.

If I read correctly, this confirms my (uninformed) guess that the end of the 2012 celebration is the result, or the effect of some sort of girl fight. It's the wives!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2014, 07:52:42 PM »

From what I hear Christian Love is leaving the band, so the touring Beach Boys will need another guitar on stage!

If this is true i'm somewhat surprised Mike didn't go to Dave first given the past history in this touring band but i guess Al's voice does fit in a little better when replacing Christian.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »

Going by AGD's posts I don't think there will be any retractions, as this is happening!  I've also said here many times that the Boys probably don't have as big an issue with each other as some people may think.  Maybe they'll do a run of Pet Sounds shows at the RFH, or somewhere similar, in London in 2016.   In the meantime, I hope the BAM Boys come to the UK soon for a mini tour (with David too).

If I read correctly, this confirms my (uninformed) guess that the end of the 2012 celebration is the result, or the effect of some sort of girl fight. It's the wives!

So the 14 piece band, Brian's tour requirements and his health never came into it?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:02:07 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »

If this is true i'm somewhat surprised Mike didn't go to Dave first given the past history in this touring band but i guess Al's voice does fit in a little better when replacing Christian.

Normally Christian sings the verse to Good Vibrations, and he sounds great - his voice suits it. Who would take over in his absence? Cuz if it were Al, that would be really, really cool.

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2014, 10:10:58 PM »

Normally Christian sings the verse to Good Vibrations, and he sounds great - his voice suits it. Who would take over in his absence? Cuz if it were Al, that would be really, really cool.

Before Christian sang it, Randell sang it, and he did a great job as well, perhaps better.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:12:09 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2014, 06:05:50 AM »

Founding member leaves group. Spot filled by replacement.

Replacement leaves group. Spot filled by founding member.

Not the norm in R&R!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2014, 06:19:01 AM »

Founding member leaves group. Spot filled by replacement.

Replacement leaves group. Spot filled by founding member.

Not the norm in R&R!

This is exciting! I hope it works out. Now I don't see why David can't be added too, him and Scott can trade leads!

AS for Christians vocals, last summer he sang "Getcha Back" "Then I Kissed Her" and "Good Vibrations". Obviously the first should be done by Mike in the first place, but if they never played this again I don't think anyone would run home crying. The second was Al's lead anyway, and the latter has been done by Randell Kirsch in the past. So this would be a very easy transition!

Never cared much for Christian....he has the stage presence of a celery stick.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2014, 06:37:11 AM »

Al needs to pick a side

No. I'm sorry, but this is not healthy thinking. It's disappointing to me that THEY are getting all caught up in these ego games, let's not join in as fans and lend weight to EITHER side of this silliness. The way I see it, Al has three sides to pick from in this situation. One, Brian's. Two, Mike and Bruce's. Three, The Music. By picking Three, (The Music) He goes where, and when, he's asked.

Also, he can't join either side permanently, if he's not asked to do so.

Because Al is an original member, they can't get away with paying him a sideman's cut. Shamefully, this seems to be what all this silliness is hinging on.

Please don't think of this as a personal attack. We are all brothers in our love for this bands music.

Smiley

I think (hope) you're right here. Al's also playing (or has he already played) with David Marks, Dean Torrance and the Sunny Delight Band (I forget their real name…) and I believe he's putting the music first – and the fans of course.

“We live in divisive times.”
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2014, 06:37:50 AM »

Man no one to sing Carl's part on Kokomo! Guess they're gonna have to cut that from the set Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2014, 07:00:26 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx