gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 11:27:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 184322 times)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: June 28, 2014, 06:44:11 AM »

I'm hoping maybe Howie Edelson, or Al in an interview, or someone can at some point shed more light on this. It would have to be something pretty heinous to burn bridges beyond repair.

I'm especially curious if Bruce has expressed that attitude, as that would take some balls for someone to be outraged when they have no control or stake in the situation and are just following what another band member does.

I don`t know... Al hasn`t appeared on stage with Mike and Bruce for a regular concert (C50 excluded) since 1998 I guess. Now if M&B feel that they`ve been let down then you can imagine it might be years, which they may not have, before Al is invited to appear with them again.

Well can you really blame Mike Love if he never invited Al Jardine along again?  First off I'm guessing there is probably a very good reason as to why Mike and Al have not been professionally linked up with one other since 1998 (C50 excluded) and now regardless of his reasons for doing so, Jardine in not appearing at this Jones Beach gig has made Mike Love look bad professionally.  While it's true that Jardine has probably made himself look worse in the process as many fans bought up tickets to the show specifically to see him...by not appearing with The Beach Boys, he has caused what could likely be termed as a professional embarrassment for Mike Love.  At the very least I'm sure Al Jardine's non-appearance has given Mike Love a few headaches that he could've probably done without.

While I'd like nothing more than to see David Marks, Al Jardine and heck even Brian Wilson up there with M&B from time to time, I'm starting to think that there are very sound reasons why M&B are over in this corner of the room and everyone else is on that corner of the room.  Basically I think Mike Love takes a great deal of pride in the show he delivers to the public (whether it's appreciated or not) and it seems every time he tries to involve other parties, it seems to either blow up in his face or cause unnecessary drama.  If you would've asked me before this whole fiasco went down whether I thought a few more C50 lineup shows were possible in 2016 (to celebrate "Pet Sounds") I probably would've been optimistic.  Now I'm the definition of "on the fence" on that whole issue.  Maybe money will talk but who knows at this point?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:45:11 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 28, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »

On a complete different note i really hope Al wears the hat he has on from this concert with Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBiiChCVl6k

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
RioGrande
« Reply #677 on: June 28, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »

A friendly reminder: we don't know anything about the reasons behind Al's decision.  Most of what has been posted here is not only speculation, but biased speculation.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #678 on: June 28, 2014, 12:50:40 PM »

I'm hoping maybe Howie Edelson, or Al in an interview, or someone can at some point shed more light on this. It would have to be something pretty heinous to burn bridges beyond repair.

I'm especially curious if Bruce has expressed that attitude, as that would take some balls for someone to be outraged when they have no control or stake in the situation and are just following what another band member does.

I don`t know... Al hasn`t appeared on stage with Mike and Bruce for a regular concert (C50 excluded) since 1998 I guess. Now if M&B feel that they`ve been let down then you can imagine it might be years, which they may not have, before Al is invited to appear with them again.

Well can you really blame Mike Love if he never invited Al Jardine along again?  First off I'm guessing there is probably a very good reason as to why Mike and Al have not been professionally linked up with one other since 1998 (C50 excluded) and now regardless of his reasons for doing so, Jardine in not appearing at this Jones Beach gig has made Mike Love look bad professionally.  While it's true that Jardine has probably made himself look worse in the process as many fans bought up tickets to the show specifically to see him...by not appearing with The Beach Boys, he has caused what could likely be termed as a professional embarrassment for Mike Love.  At the very least I'm sure Al Jardine's non-appearance has given Mike Love a few headaches that he could've probably done without.

While I'd like nothing more than to see David Marks, Al Jardine and heck even Brian Wilson up there with M&B from time to time, I'm starting to think that there are very sound reasons why M&B are over in this corner of the room and everyone else is on that corner of the room.  Basically I think Mike Love takes a great deal of pride in the show he delivers to the public (whether it's appreciated or not) and it seems every time he tries to involve other parties, it seems to either blow up in his face or cause unnecessary drama.  If you would've asked me before this whole fiasco went down whether I thought a few more C50 lineup shows were possible in 2016 (to celebrate "Pet Sounds") I probably would've been optimistic.  Now I'm the definition of "on the fence" on that whole issue.  Maybe money will talk but who knows at this point?

I wouldn't blame Mike at all for being upset with Al over this. I would be, too. But if this really is the end and none of the various camps ever play together again, that'd be incredibly sad. If they couldve ended the reunion amicably then at least there'd be that to remember. But the hurt feelings and bad PR kinda soured that too. It's a shame to think these guys will probably go to their graves with bad blood. Not a fitting end to their legacy at all.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 28, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »

No, but none of it reflects well on Al. Once you make a decision to do something, stand by it. And once Al posted the Jones Beach date on his own website , he could no longer blame Live Nation or Mike for jumping the gun and using his name for publicity purposes. If he had ambivalent feelings, then don't say maybe, say no, and say no well in advance of the show date. He waited until the last minute to make a statement he would not appear.
Nicko1234
« Reply #680 on: June 28, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »

A friendly reminder: we don't know anything about the reasons behind Al's decision.  Most of what has been posted here is not only speculation, but biased speculation.

It`s true that we don`t know the reasons behind Al`s decision. But I`m not sure how the speculation can be described as biased. Unless it is now being claimed that there is an anti-Al faction on the board as well.  Wink Al announced that he was appearing at this show and then cancelled without any explanation or apology (and his statement basically tried to imply that it was only a rumour that he was ever appearing in the first place). Therefore the focus of attention is certain to be on him.

Now it may be that Al feels he had strong justification for cancelling his appearance with Mike. But that would probably just make it even more unlikely that they will ever appear together on stage again.

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 28, 2014, 02:54:01 PM »

May be talking with Mike at greater length - and on the record - next month. I think the topic may crop up again.

Now that you've reported one side of the story, that settles it then. Everything tidy and the issue is closed. Move along...nothing to see here.
 Roll Eyes

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 28, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »

May be talking with Mike at greater length - and on the record - next month. I think the topic may crop up again.

Now that you've reported one side of the story, that settles it then. Everything tidy and the issue is closed. Move along...nothing to see here.
 Roll Eyes

Grin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: June 28, 2014, 03:02:11 PM »

Roll Eyes

Nothing of the sort. I've reported my impressions based on what's been posted and published. Tell you what, I'll interview Mike and you grill Alan. Deal ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 28, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »

Ha! Love to talk to Al. Good old Ohio country boy Al.

But seriously, I think I know how all this will play out. You will ask the 'tough' questions, Mike will spin like he's always spun, and you will report it all as FACT. The rest of us doubters will be marginalized as Brianistas, fan boys, or pick your pejorative.

For all the piling on c/o RStone, I'd love to hear a he said/she said autopsy on this crazy band - whether by Stone, or say a British publication. I'm afraid I'd only accept your opinions Andrew as being representative of the status quo, not the greater whole. Another voice would be needed to give a fair voice to Al and Brian.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 28, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »

I wonder if we will ever know the finer details but I still prefer to go with the 'blame Live Nation' route. They are supposed to be the professionals here while Mike and Al should just have to concentrate on the music.

If Live Nation had a verbal agreement only then I don't think that cuts it. Lets say some underling discusses payment, flights, accommodation etc that does not give the right to start using a name in promotion IMO. Until the numbers men put pen to paper and it is signed by the artist can they start marketing.

Having said that, it does seem that negotiations for Al to rejoin for the day were with Live Nation rather than with the licence holder Mike. Totally bizarre!  
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 28, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »

Al and Brian are not the same. Al can't really justify what he did, IMO. He never should have put up the date on AlJardine.com, it was not only Live Nation promoting his presence. I don't think Brian wants to be dragged into it at all. Brian never tried to mediate on Al's behalf when Al was pushed out after Carl was gone. Brian joined Mike and sued Al himself when Al tried touring without a BRI license. Brian refused to talk to Al for many years and also dropped him from a Brian Wilson tour several years ago. Brian did not initially invite Al on his two dates this summer. He may have only done so at the last minute out of pity or wanting to keep new band member Matt happy. I feel sorry for Al myself. He has talent that he let's get detracted from with oddball behavior.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 28, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »

Yeah, the silver bullet was Al putting it up on his site. Again, totally bizarre situation all round.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 28, 2014, 03:42:23 PM »

Alan's sister-in-law is my vet's secretary. A few years ago I used to ask her about things and was given polite but short answers. I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:59:57 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 28, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »

I remember all those humorous Steve Desper stories about Al in the studio - about how he could never make up his mind, how he'd take forever making up his mind on a mix or a take. Maybe the same dynamic is at play here. Who knows.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #690 on: June 28, 2014, 03:45:14 PM »

But seriously, I think I know how all this will play out. You will ask the 'tough' questions, Mike will spin like he's always spun, and you will report it all as FACT.

You can be startlingly obtuse - I'll report what Mike said to me (if it comes off) factually and accurately and you can decide how to take it.

I'm afraid I'd only accept your opinions Andrew as being representative of the status quo, not the greater whole. Another voice would be needed to give a fair voice to Al and Brian.

Fine, no problems - you make the contacts and set up those interviews. If I can do it, I'm sure you can. Based on my experience (pre-internet, granted), shouldn't take you much longer than thirty years, give or take. I can wait.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: June 28, 2014, 03:51:36 PM »

I wonder if we will ever know the finer details but I still prefer to go with the 'blame Live Nation' route. They are supposed to be the professionals here while Mike and Al should just have to concentrate on the music.

If Live Nation had a verbal agreement only then I don't think that cuts it. Lets say some underling discusses payment, flights, accommodation etc that does not give the right to start using a name in promotion IMO. Until the numbers men put pen to paper and it is signed by the artist can they start marketing.

Having said that, it does seem that negotiations for Al to rejoin for the day were with Live Nation rather than with the licence holder Mike. Totally bizarre!  

You're glossing over the exceedingly pertinent point that the show was posted on Alan's own website as having him appearing, and that it took him some six weeks to say "no, I'm not". How is any of that Live Nation's fault ? Alan has a long-established rep for being "difficult" to work with, and for being famously indecisive.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #692 on: June 28, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »

Brian did not initially invite Al on his two dates this summer.

Did he invite him at all ? Maybe Alan reprised the 2006 gambit and, essentially, invited himself. Who's to say that hasn't happened again ?

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 28, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »

But seriously, I think I know how all this will play out. You will ask the 'tough' questions, Mike will spin like he's always spun, and you will report it all as FACT.

You can be startlingly obtuse - I'll report what Mike said to me (if it comes off) factually and accurately and you can decide how to take it.

I'm afraid I'd only accept your opinions Andrew as being representative of the status quo, not the greater whole. Another voice would be needed to give a fair voice to Al and Brian.

Fine, no problems - you make the contacts and set up those interviews. If I can do it, I'm sure you can. Based on my experience (pre-internet, granted), shouldn't take you much longer than thirty years, give or take. I can wait.  Grin

No one's questioning your ability to set up an interview. After nerding out on all things BB for all these years (and we thank you for it), I would THINK that some people might return your calls. Say...Al maybe?

Perhaps not, if he feels you have an agenda. Just saying. 

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: June 28, 2014, 04:00:33 PM »

You're being evasive, plus you've stated there should be another voice talking to Alan or Brian. Well, then, go on. Do it, and we'll compare notes.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 28, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »

You're glossing over the exceedingly pertinent point that the show was posted on Alan's own website as having him appearing, and that it took him some six weeks to say "no, I'm not". How is any of that Live Nation's fault ? Alan has a long-established rep for being "difficult" to work with, and for being famously indecisive.

Acknowledged further down the thread. If Al had a verbal agreement only then yes, pretty silly putting it up on his site.

I still make the point that Live Nation should be the professionals in the business. Lets face it, some musicians are not known to be the brightest bulbs in a room and can be flighty. If Al signed an agreement then backed out then he may have problems further ahead.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 28, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »

It doesn't have to be me. It can be anyone - as long as they be fair and impartial. Please don't wave your credentials in my face. It's not becoming of your 'gravitas', as it were.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #697 on: June 28, 2014, 04:13:06 PM »

It doesn't have to be me. It can be anyone...

Except me, apparently.  Grin

Nicko1234
« Reply #698 on: June 28, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »

It would be odd if any of these things were behind Al`s decision to pull out as it has to be assumed that he is not being paid a fortune (if at all) to travel the much longer distance to play with Brian for 2 dates.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 28, 2014, 06:30:49 PM »

He has talent that he let's get detracted from with oddball behavior.

Honestly which Beach Boy doesn't that sentence describe....

Cuz I definitely feel that it's true for Brian, Denny, Mike, Al, and Bruce. Perhaps maybe only Carl is the only one who didn't make a ton of boneheaded decisions and his only truly odd display was on the '78 Aussie tour. All the other guys, well, they've all wasted months, years, and even decades with either mental health problems (Brian) or just weird agendas and deep seated weirdness (the other guys).
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx