gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681428 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 04:30:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 184127 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 26, 2014, 06:21:44 PM »

Exactly! I think that most fans of the Beach Boys, not just Brian and/or Mike, take a more balanced view of things and look at both sides of an issue.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 26, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »

I'm trying to figure out which Brianistas have been run off the board. OSD? The guy who posted mutilated corpse photos (as I recall correctly,maybe I don't)? Where was the shouting down and being run off? Maybe I missed some threads, I admit I don't always read every one.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 26, 2014, 06:23:24 PM »

Also, the "praising of Mike's role in the band" seems to mainly consist of praising his bass vocals, Warmth Of The Sun lyrics, All I Wanna Do (sometimes) and followed by a HUGE "but" ....... and then the litany of offenses starts.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 26, 2014, 06:25:58 PM »

It's not anti-Brian to suggest he doesn't always write all the music to his own songs. Both Andy Paley and Joe Thomas have said they wrote part of the music in their collaborations with Brian. Were they lying? It is important because Brian's music has a distinct stamp and that gets watered down if other people are writing music with him. It may also be unnecessary because Brian wrote the music for TLOS without help, other than lyrics. It was a critical success for him, too, if not a mega-seller.
Brian began using co-writers on the music -- mainly Al, Carl, and Dennis -- as far back as 1968. Is 'Friends' (song or lp) "watered down"?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 26, 2014, 06:26:18 PM »

Not that these said Mike offenses aren't real or valid n some cases/ways.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 26, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »

It's not anti-Brian to suggest he doesn't always write all the music to his own songs. Both Andy Paley and Joe Thomas have said they wrote part of the music in their collaborations with Brian. Were they lying? It is important because Brian's music has a distinct stamp and that gets watered down if other people are writing music with him. It may also be unnecessary because Brian wrote the music for TLOS without help, other than lyrics. It was a critical success for him, too, if not a mega-seller.
Brian began using co-writers on the music -- mainly Al, Carl, and Dennis -- as far back as 1968. Is 'Friends' (song or lp) "watered down"?

Brian's/The Beach Boys output has been, for the most part, a collaborative process from the start. Brian's distinct stamp has as much to do with the voices and talents of his brothers, cousin, and friends, as it does with himself. Him being the most important one sure, but anything Brian pounds out nowadays will undoubtably remind us of things he did in collaboration as much as on his own. He does have a distinct and amazing way of playing the piano! I'd like to think I could easily pick him out of a crowd.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 26, 2014, 06:44:20 PM »

When I read people calling those who worry about Brian as being anti-Brianista, I wonder if some Brianistas are more pro-Brianista, and pro-world-according-to-the-Blueboard, then they are pro-Brian. There will always be those who wonder if Brian is being allowed, or perhaps more to the point, allowing himself, to be the Brian people like to think he is. Or maybe that Brian no longer entirely exists, who knows. It's not just coming from pro-Mike fans who post on this board, the sometimes-wondering about Brian comes from the media at large, even those media people such as bloggers who are very much pro-Brian. I went to look up interviews with Andy Paley, and found this blog entry from a Brian fan who spoke to Bruce Johnston and Sean O'Hagen, and it's something I'd never read before. Bruce said some not entirely complimentary things, which anti-Mike and others would find typical of Bruce, but it's interesting what Sean O'Hagen had to say about observing Brian first-hand in the era when Joe Thomas was first brought into the Brian sphere in the late '90s (and it's very, very unflattering of Mike, too, so Brian fans can take heart):

http://uncanny1.blogspot.com/2005/05/brian-wilsonandy-paleysean-ohagan.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:45:39 PM by KittyKat » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 26, 2014, 06:55:23 PM »

I like fat Brian too but Landy-thin Brian was a handsome mother$ucker!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #633 on: June 26, 2014, 07:26:14 PM »

At least us Dennis fans respect the fans of all other members unlike the Brian and Mike fans lol
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 26, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »

I'm trying to figure out which Brianistas have been run off the board.

One of them is back and currently posting on this here thread (under a different alias of course).

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 26, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »

At least us Dennis fans respect the fans of all other members unlike the Brian and Mike fans lol

It's those hardcore Bruce fans who are the most intolerant!

Let's run those "Shortsinistas" off this board!!!!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:13:13 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: June 26, 2014, 08:15:26 PM »

Few of them have also been outright banned.

OSD was not banned for being anti-Mike. Nobody here has ever been banned for having an opinion, and as long as I'm here, nobody ever will be.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 26, 2014, 10:12:06 PM »

Funny how no insiders have information about why Al backed out of Jones Beach,which was the topic of this thread. It indicates to me that Al has no insiders. At least none that are willing to come on this board and say his side.

An ill informed statement, KK.
Off the top of my head I can name about FOUR that understand the real complexities of the recent situation.

Is it really an insider's responsibility to "say his side"?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:13:07 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 26, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »

Is it really an insider's responsibility to "say his side"?

No, but it's nice to have something that isn't just speculation.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 26, 2014, 10:55:49 PM »

How can it be ill-informed if "at least four people" are insiders, but won't say? Yep, it does lead to speculation. I'm contrasting that to a guy like Ray, who has come on here to quell speculation, as a Brian insider. Or a person like Scott Totten who sometimes give a little tidbit about the Mike band, albeit without giving out a lot of earth-shaking info. Al hasn't had anyone like that to pop up on these message boards.Even his own son's posting on his dad's message board was barely clarifying of what happened. So, we know LiveNation approached Al and that Al would have preferred a direct communication from Mike. But what's not clear is why Al at least passively accepted the LiveNation offer, or allowed it to be publicized on both Live Nation and his very own website, before it was clear in his own mind that he wanted to play the gig or made some formal agreement to do so.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 26, 2014, 11:04:59 PM »

I'm trying to figure out which Brianistas have been run off the board. OSD? The guy who posted mutilated corpse photos (as I recall correctly,maybe I don't)? Where was the shouting down and being run off? Maybe I missed some threads, I admit I don't always read every one.

The one that springs to mind is McCabe who sort of brought it on himself.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:49:41 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 27, 2014, 05:30:05 AM »

deleted
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:54:03 AM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 27, 2014, 08:22:23 AM »

The one that springs to mind is McCabe who sort of brought it on himself.

Nah, I heard McCabe was banned for life. Don't think he'll ever come back here.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 27, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »

Rob was -- and is -- a quality guy and real fan of long standing, as are Andrew Hickey, TDHabib, and a bunch of people who used to post.  I can't speak to the circumstances of their departure (although I recall that some were treated quite nastily), but they are missed. And the departure of informed, well-spoken fans from a forum like this should never be celebrated.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 27, 2014, 09:18:21 AM »

I talk with Rob on the Hoffman board from time to time, he is a good guy who knows his BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 27, 2014, 09:28:45 AM »

Rob was -- and is -- a quality guy and real fan of long standing, as are Andrew Hickey, TDHabib, and a bunch of people who used to post.  I can't speak to the circumstances of their departure (although I recall that some were treated quite nastily), but they are missed. And the departure of informed, well-spoken fans from a forum like this should never be celebrated.

Agreed on all counts.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 27, 2014, 09:41:47 AM »

I don't think anyone was run off by a so-called pro-Mike contingent. There are people on all sides who sometimes get into tiffs that don't even have to do with Mike vs. Brian or specific band issues. Sometimes people stop posting because they're tired or bored with the whole thing.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: June 27, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »

Okay, I think we’ve finally gotten to the bottom of the Jones Beach debacle:

Brian: “You’re right Al, this Live Nation contract is bulls**t. You should tell Live Nation to go f**k themselves.”

Al: “But Brian, should I really cancel this whole thing because they can’t find brown M&M’s for my dressing room?”

or

Al: “This is what the kids are saying on Facebook?”

or

Brian: “So this is the list of guys Mike was going to ask to replace Christian Love before resorting to calling you?”

or

Al: “So, Brian, here are the lyrics from the attempt Mike and I made at a “creative collaboration”, do you think he’ll still want to write with me?”

Anybody else have any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:52:21 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 27, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »

Poor McCabe. Too bad he was a quality guy and a real fan with a bad habit of harassing other folks through Private Messages. May he rot wherever he is.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 27, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »

Okay, I think we’ve finally gotten to the bottom of the Jones Beach debacle:

Al: “This is what the kids are saying on Facebook?”

You my friend have just won the unofficial Smiley Smile happy face sticker for post of the day.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx