gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:32:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Assuming they retire at age 75...  (Read 7369 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2014, 08:19:32 AM »

I reckon and assume they have got a few more years as an active band, whether in factions or united. How do you think the endgame will break down?

It was hinted that another reunion tour would be launched after a year's break, so as not to overdo it. That means we are due for another reunion tour, possibly farewell tour, in 2015.

Brian will release another solo project with Jeff Beck, that much we know. But how about the oft-mentioned rock'n'roll roots album with the Beach Boys? The one to feature a cover of "Proud Mary", among other things?

Will there be any more archival releases, or has that well run dry? In fact, they could continue the archival releases even after they have retired.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:50:18 AM »

May 2016 - the Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary concert. You read it here first. Ages at 12/31/14:

Mike - 73
Brian - 72
Alan - 72
Bruce - 72
David - 66

And, ah, a year's break after the C50 would be this year... and trust me, that is NOT happening (any more than a BW album with Jeff Beck on it is).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:04:02 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:15:44 AM »

May 2016 - the Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary concert. You read it here first. Ages at 12/31/14:

Mike - 73
Brian - 72
Alan - 72
Bruce - 72
David - 66

And, ah, a year's break after the C50 would be this year... and trust me, that is NOT happening (any more than a BW album with Jeff Beck on it is).

That Pet Sounds concert may well come to fruition, could be their final bow. I didn't know that the Jeff Beck collaboration had been shelved.  Is C50 already two years ago, it's all a blur to me, this century.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:16:56 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »

I didn't know that the Jeff Beck collaboration had been shelved.
It isn't. At least not officially. I guess AGD was making an assumption based on how things are looking (belly up) at the moment. And there's a good chance he's right. Undecided
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »

There was never a "Jeff Beck" album, only a Brian solo record for which Jeff collaborated on a few cuts, which may or may not be included when the lp is released (probably not, going by recent interviews).

There will never be another Beach Boys album, nor will there ever be another reunion tour. There is a possibility that there might still be a reunion concert or 2 in the near future,but I wouldn't count on it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:32:15 AM »

I would love a farewell pet sounds show.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:38:15 AM »

There was never a "Jeff Beck" album, only a Brian solo record for which Jeff collaborated on a few cuts, which may or may not be included when the lp is released (probably not, going by recent interviews).

There will never be another Beach Boys album, nor will there ever be another reunion tour. There is a possibility that there might still be a reunion concert or 2 in the near future,but I wouldn't count on it.

you seem pretty certain of these things, I'll just have to take your word for it. Actually, if you search Wilson Beck on amazon, nothing comes up. In a way I am cool with there being no more BB albums, the last one was a solid job, best thing in years, decades even. I had hoped for a farewell tour, but if that is not to be, then I've got the memories. Will catch Mike and Bruce in August, not that I need it, 25th concert and all, but since nothing else is happening, might as well.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:31:42 AM »

I mentioned I could see offers for a PS 50 Tour back in Sept 12, especially from the UK. Guess we will see if it is a pipe dream in the future.

As Al has mentioned, Mike will try to be the last man standing. He will be happy doing a rest- home tour at 90. Bruce doesn't seem to have any reason to quit anytime soon either. Brian does not have a full concert in him now I feel. He needs others as support and that may be a continuation of his own group plus Al, Dave or even various BB off-spring.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »

There's gonna be a Beach Boys 60th anniversary tour, definetely. Mike's there as always, Bruce wears the same shorts as always, Al will be rocking with the best voice ever, David is getting close to adultness and Brian will be showing his skills with bass 60 pounds lighter and happy as ever (or he's lying on a stretcher behind the piano to sing Surfer Girl...) Anyway, you get the point  LOL
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »

Jeff Beck may be on a track or two of Brian's latest album, just to save face, if they possibly can use those particular songs. But he will be threatened with a lawsuit if he opens his mouth about it when it's released.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 10:49:17 AM »

Always the best way to get a great product! Roll Eyes
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »

Jeff Beck may be on a track or two of Brian's latest album, just to save face, if they possibly can use those particular songs. But he will be threatened with a lawsuit if he opens his mouth about it when it's released.
Right, it's only going to be a couple of becking tracks anyway.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »

I didn't know that the Jeff Beck collaboration had been shelved.

Jeff Beck fired Brian Wilson. Jeff told Brian he was only available for so long, but now Beck's back on the road with his old band, making more money and picking up girls.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »

Mike - 73
Brian - 72
Alan - 72
Bruce - 72
David - 66

I really do wonder if they are all in good health, if there will indeed be a reunion for a Pet Sounds performance or possibly even a tour. I honestly think that would be a great thing for them to cap their career with. Maybe have Brian write a few new songs with Tony Asher and have them record them too.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »

Mike - 73
Brian - 72
Alan - 72
Bruce - 72
David - 66

It's good to see you're jumping in early AND being positive this time because you could not have been more wrong in your predictions about the 50th Anniversary reunion album and tour. Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »

Ah... back then I was uninformed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 12:57:19 PM »

Ah... back then I was uninformed.

and now you are informed?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »

Once the C50 crumbled like a stale cracker, I always contended that IF the group was going to take the stage together one last time it would be for "Pet Sounds" 50th anniversary in 2016.  My guess is IF this is to be, it won't be another C50 style tour with them touring the world with concerts based around performing "Pet Sounds" in it's entirety (much like BW did in 2002) but instead will probably be limited to one or two performances in California which will likely be filmed and recorded for DVD/CD release.  No new album, no world tour or anything like that unfortunately given how the C50 ended.

Also expect the requisite "50th Anniversary Now Sounding Better Than Ever Remaster" of "Pet Sounds" to hit shops as well!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »

Once the C50 crumbled like a stale cracker, I always contended that IF the group was going to take the stage together one last time it would be for "Pet Sounds" 50th anniversary in 2016.  My guess is IF this is to be, it won't be another C50 style tour with them touring the world with concerts based around performing "Pet Sounds" in it's entirety (much like BW did in 2002) but instead will probably be limited to one or two performances in California which will likely be filmed and recorded for DVD/CD release.  No new album, no world tour or anything like that unfortunately given how the C50 ended.

Also expect the requisite "50th Anniversary Now Sounding Better Than Ever Remaster" of "Pet Sounds" to hit shops as well!

I think they could make a tour out of "Pet Sounds At 50". I could see an opening set with songs that feature mostly Mike and Al on lead vocals because they are hardly on Pet Sounds. Then a twenty minute intermission. When they come back they could do Pet Sounds in its entirety, and close the show with their traditional home stretch. I guess it would be similar to how Brian toured it back in the day.

I think there would almost as much but not quite as much demand as the 50th Anniversary tour. It would sell out, though. There are two reasons it has a chance. First would be the $$$$$$$$$ which is the most important factor in any Beach Boys' endeavor. Second, you wouldn't have to deal with the Mike Love "I want to sit in a room and write with Brian" issue because there's no new album to record.

The one factor that concerns me is Brian's health. Lately I have been looking at some photos of Brian over the last three or four years. He has not aged well and, frankly, I'm concerned about him. Pet Sounds is not an easy album to carry and I don't know if he would be up to it. Of course he could give some Pet Sounds' leads to Al but then you dilute the product, much like the same effect you have with Brian singing Mike's and Carl's parts in his solo shows.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 04:39:22 PM »

Hey at this stage anything is a bonus. I assumed they would retire at 50! LOL
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »

Once the C50 crumbled like a stale cracker, I always contended that IF the group was going to take the stage together one last time it would be for "Pet Sounds" 50th anniversary in 2016.  My guess is IF this is to be, it won't be another C50 style tour with them touring the world with concerts based around performing "Pet Sounds" in it's entirety (much like BW did in 2002) but instead will probably be limited to one or two performances in California which will likely be filmed and recorded for DVD/CD release.  No new album, no world tour or anything like that unfortunately given how the C50 ended.

I think they could make a tour out of "Pet Sounds At 50". I could see an opening set with songs that feature mostly Mike and Al on lead vocals because they are hardly on Pet Sounds. Then a twenty minute intermission. When they come back they could do Pet Sounds in its entirety, and close the show with their traditional home stretch. I guess it would be similar to how Brian toured it back in the day.

I think there would almost as much but not quite as much demand as the 50th Anniversary tour. It would sell out, though. There are two reasons it has a chance. First would be the $$$$$$$$$ which is the most important factor in any Beach Boys' endeavor. Second, you wouldn't have to deal with the Mike Love "I want to sit in a room and write with Brian" issue because there's no new album to record.

The one factor that concerns me is Brian's health. Lately I have been looking at some photos of Brian over the last three or four years. He has not aged well and, frankly, I'm concerned about him. Pet Sounds is not an easy album to carry and I don't know if he would be up to it. Of course he could give some Pet Sounds' leads to Al but then you dilute the product, much like the same effect you have with Brian singing Mike's and Carl's parts in his solo shows.
Damn, you guys sure are picky. Hell, if you're gonna think like that then I say it's a total rip if Brian cannot perform them vocally, like he did in 1966. Al has been singing WIBN in concert since it was released. Were Beach Boys shows diluted when Dennis or Carl sang Rhonda? These guys have been interchanging lead vocals for most of their career. Shoot, let's have David sing all 11 leads on the PS 50 Tour. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »

I don't think Brian has aged that badly. I know people are concerned about his weight, but there's newer research that shows people that are overweight or even obese past the age of 65 can live as long as people who aren't.  It can even be a benefit to have extra weight if you get an illness like pneumonia where many people wind up losing weight, and the more fat you have, the more reserves you have to keep you going. His pot belly looks like having a bad back and weak ab muscles making the fat look worse.  I predict Brian will live a very long time and will be able to work for years to come. All the people who put him down will be surprised, including Jeff Beck.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 06:10:18 PM »

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 02:48:09 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 09:08:10 PM »

I don't think Brian has aged that badly. I know people are concerned about his weight, but there's newer research that shows people that are overweight or even obese past the age of 65 can live as long as people who aren't.  It can even be a benefit to have extra weight if you get an illness like pneumonia where many people wind up losing weight, and the more fat you have, the more reserves you have to keep you going. His pot belly looks like having a bad back and weak ab muscles making the fat look worse. 

These are a couple of very good points. Research is currently saying that people of average weight or who are slightly overweight (but not obese) live longer than thin people. The reasons aren't quite clear. In addition, people with back problems often have poor posture which creates a pot belly due to extreme curvature in the low back. Brian tends to slouch down in his chair in the pictures we've seen, which is understandable if his back is a problem.  I guess my point is that he may not be as overweight as he seems in the pictures, and even if he is carrying a few extra pounds, it might not be a cause for immediate concern.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »

The Queen Mother of England lived to be 102, and she was fairly heavy later in life.  Here's a pic of the Queen Mum at age 101, still able to stand on her own two feet:

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx