-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:14:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Lost Films
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lost Films  (Read 2605 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »

Or films that have been rediscovered...

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-hunt-for-lost-films.html
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »

So many silent features have been lost: The Queen Of Sheba (1921) exists only as a few production stills and a recently rediscovered 17-second fragment (previously misidentified as Theda Bara in Cleopatra).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:02:27 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »

So many silent features have been lost: The Queen Of Sheba (1921) exists only as a few production stills and a recently rediscovered 17-second fragment (previously misidentified as Theda Bara in Cleopatra).

Maybe someone will unearth a cache of films somewhere in Europe, perhaps, even squirreled away by the nasties

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 11:07:54 AM »

There's always hope. A lost John Ford silent was found last year (year before?).
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »

It's so frustratingly sad.  I think the Library of Congress estimate 75% of silent films are lost.

Film owned the first 3 decades of the 20th century.  It reined supreme.  It was new.  Exciting.  Huge.  Important.  Artistic.  An art-form being born.  And it's mostly gone.  

Artists were writing the language of motion pictures.  Experimenting.  Going crazy with its potential.  And 75% of it has been excised from our culture.  Imagine if this happened to rock n' roll.  Imagine if 75% of the music from rock's first (and best) era -- the 50s, 60s and 70s -- was lost.  Left only to fading memories.

Can you imagine that!!   Shocked  That's exactly what happened to film.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:02:12 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »

There's always hope. A lost John Ford silent was found last year (year before?).
Yep.  Sort of what bgas alluded to, finding a bunch of stuff in Europe. I don't know if that's what happened with the Ford, but I read that Russia has a buttload of silents.  I saw that they recently turned over a few Wallace Reids.   Shocked  Most of his stuff is lost.

I have to believe there's A LOT still out there.  Silents occupied a good 20-30 years and given that they're silent, could easily be re-title-carded and sent around the world.  So if they're not in grandma's cellar, they might be in some storehouse in Siberia.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:03:23 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: